PDA

View Full Version : Dragons, War, Doom, Cities, and my first post on GITP!

heregoeshell
2015-03-27, 10:15 AM
Hey GITP, I'm DMing my first campaign (I have done a few very small/short kick-in-the-door ecnounters) and am looking for some general advice on table control, eg: keeping the 6+ people at the table from making what should be a 3 minute jaunt down the street into an encounter length sidetracking of derailing and momentum stopping proportions! Or just any help in general for a new DM would be greatly appreciated! I also have a specific question involving dragons and Challenge Rating, as well as any feedback on my campaign idea/specifics would be greatly appreciated.

My campaign is an urban setting involving the stopping of an invasion from a country across the waves, using subterfuge, espionage, combat, and interaction to further the plot. This is also a) on a time limit (I count travelling time + combat rounds + general time taken for interaction between PCs and NPCs) because this invasion is on a schedule. I have also provided for a home-built faction system (similar to the Mass Effect alignment system but across 4+ factions) which will affect the character's bonuses/assistance throughout the campaign and at the final battle. I have also decided to remove the skill limit, which by effect also limits entry in to some Prc's and other mechanics of the game (though this may no seem like the best decision it makes realistic sense to me). If you'd like any other details I'd love to provide them ^^

The final question I have is about CR with dragons. I intend to have the possibility of at least 1 dragon on a final battle field involving 6 PCs, 6 NPCs (controlled by the players), 6 Big Bad full built bad guys, and 50 enemy grunts. The level range is looking between 16-18 for the built characters (PCs, NPCs, Big Bads), with 7-8 for all the grunts. In 1 case, dependent on the choices and interactions of the PCs, there may be a friendly dragon (lvl 20) but if there is, or even if there isn't there, could potentially be an equal to PC level dragon opposing them. I've run these numbers, including the dragons, through an Encounter level calculator and it has given me a Very Difficult rating. I'm not sure exactly how accurate this is due to a)the high number of combatants on the field and b)dragons! On a separate note, I also do not intend to have all 50 grunts on the field at the same time. I intend for them to be periodically introduced in groups of 5 to 10.

If there are any other questions or information I can provide to make this easier/make more sense I'd be happy to provide it! Thank you all again I thoroughly appreciate it!

Fuglen
2015-03-27, 01:31 PM
Hey GITP, I'm DMing my first campaign (I have done a few very small/short kick-in-the-door ecnounters) and am looking for some general advice on table control, eg: keeping the 6+ people at the table from making what should be a 3 minute jaunt down the street into an encounter length sidetracking of derailing and momentum stopping proportions! Or just any help in general for a new DM would be greatly appreciated!

About the first one. What I usually do in my groups is to ask each person what they do. Just ask everyone else to be quiet, or not disturb, and then take them in turns. My players really like it, since it cuts down on people talking over each other and everyone gets to say what they do :)

heregoeshell
2015-03-28, 12:10 PM
Thank you very much! I've been considering having them roll for initiative during out of combat just to keep everyone in line! I appreciate the advice!