PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 1 lvl dip or feat tax?

Iceheart2112
2015-03-27, 10:17 AM
This is more for an NPC/thought experiment than a playable character (although I may keep it in my back pocket to bring out when the nuclear cheese option is needed).

I've always loved the idea of an imp as a familiar. With the new Familiar Folio out now anyone can have it with a 2 feat tax (well, 3 feats if you include the Improved Familiar Bond feat)! So I got to thinking about a Summoner with an Imp familiar. He could be a great BBEG or mini-boss (especially with the Master Summoner arch) because he brings his own minions to the party so that its not a 5 on 1 smackdown, its more like a 5 on 3 (no wait, 5. No wait, 8. Wait, now there's 10! Stop casting Summon Monster!! Now they're all hasted?! And now its big! Nooooo!).

Then my optimizer skills kicked in thinking that there may be a better way of going about it. Would taking 1 lvl of Sorcerer (Arcane bloodline) to get a familiar then just Imp Familiar feat later on be 'more better' than the Iron Will/Familiar Bond/Imp Familiar route?

Both have their pluses/minuses:
- Feat Tax Route +: Full Summoner progression, no multi-class penalties (fewer hit points, lower BAB)
- Feat Tax Route -: Two feats that could be put to better use (granted, the Summoner isn't as 'feat intensive' as some), a third feat needed to have full use of the familiar (Imp Familiar Bond for Share Spells, etc.)

- Sorcerer Dip +: Access to spells normally not on the Summoner list (so less need for UMD...but both have as a class skill anyways!), both use Cha as casting stat (so no MAD problems), free Eschew Materials, extra class skills
- Sorcerer Dip -: Familiar doesn't 'level up' the progression chart (though could take the feats later on to make up for it and it still gets ), fewer hit points, lower BAB, slower eidolon progression (even worse if you go the Master Summoner route)

Both routes get you a +2 to will saves, the familiar still has the improved HD/HP, saves, skills of the master.

So what does the Playground think? Did I miss anything?

MyrPsychologist
2015-03-27, 10:33 AM
I think more information is needed to really justify any sort of decision. But why not just use lesser planar binding if you're so enamored with the idea of an imp servant?

avr
2015-03-27, 11:18 AM
The dip delays ... Everything. Eidolon progression, spellcasting, summon monster SLA. That's not cheese, it's solid chalk.

An alternate route via feats is of course skill focus/eldritch heritage. The familiar progression is delayed a couple of levels but you do get share spells without having to spend a 3rd feat.

I think it's worth noting that a cleric with the animal domain & sacred summons, using summon monster and the planar ally spell, looks really similar. Or an occultist arcanist with a familiar and maybe craft construct.