PDA

View Full Version : Offensive CR for a spellcaster

DragonBaneDM
2015-03-27, 12:51 PM
How do you figure out the Offensive CR for a spellcaster?

For example, I have a low level cleric that I'm building (altered version of the Cultist Fanatic from the DMG) who is capable of doing 1d8 with her cantrip but then 3d10 if she uses inflict wounds. Since she can only reliably cast the cantrip, should I use that as her average DPR?

She also has the ability to cast spiritual weapon, though I plan on using this a bit later on. Does that mean her average DPR is 2d8 + 2 because she'll be cantripping and attacking with the bonus action each round?

(Note: I'm not planning on this caster going all out against the PCs. This fight is going to be interrupted and she's going to try to flee, casting Command or Hold Person to stop pursuers.)

pwykersotz
2015-03-27, 03:15 PM
You're going to want to reference this rule:

If a monster's damage output varies from round to round, calculate its damage output each round for the first three rounds of combat, and take the average.

And yes, average damage is calculated by adding damage from all expected sources each round.

DragonBaneDM
2015-03-27, 04:52 PM
You're going to want to reference this rule:

And yes, average damage is calculated by adding damage from all expected sources each round.

Got it! Thanks!

Tenmujiin
2015-03-27, 05:23 PM
Note that the monster should be expected to use it's three highest damage spells over the first three rounds.