PDA

View Full Version : 5th level Transmutation spell selection...

Variable Arcana
2007-04-11, 11:24 PM
My wizard just levelled up. He's a focussed transmuter, so all of his 5th level spell slots are transmutation-only at this level.

He gets three spells with the level-up.

I'm thinking of Telekinesis and Permanency. Any suggestions for the third spell? (PHBII & SC are probably okay)

Jacob Orlove
2007-04-11, 11:42 PM
Overland Flight is pretty sweet, especially since you can afford to spend a 5th level slot every day. You get to fly around all the time. Consider Boots of Levitation (or whatever) in case you need to hover, though.

Isomenes
2007-04-11, 11:45 PM
Baleful Polymorph much? It's teh hotness.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-12, 12:58 AM
Skip Permanency. No, seriously, skip it. Pay an NPC for it when you really need it.

TK is Concentration duration, which makes it less than ideal unless you're abusing it and hurling a dozen Colossal bolts at someone.

Overland Flight is a must-have, and Baleful Polymorph is good for hitting Fort. saves. TK makes for an OK third, I suppose. I'd rather memorize one OF and two BPs, though... although TK could be useful in that it can last you a whole fight.

Jacob Orlove
2007-04-12, 01:31 AM
Skip Permanency. No, seriously, skip it. Pay an NPC for it when you really need it.
If you have even one crafting feat (and you do, Scribe Scroll), this is absolutely correct. NPCs charge 5 gp per XP when casting spells, but that same 1 XP saves you 12.5 gp when crafting an item, no matter what you make. The only disadvantage is that your permanent spells will get dispelled more, but honestly, getting the monsters to cast Dispel Magic instead of something actually threatening is such a good deal that you don't even care.

Stevenson
2007-04-12, 05:16 AM
Eh, I don't like permanency, but if you do, don't let me stop you.

I suggest passwall, personally. Ever been trapped in a dungeon? *zot* not any more!

Ikkitosen
2007-04-12, 06:21 AM
Passwall is a scroll spell IMO - not something you want to carry around all the time but very useful occasionally.

Overland Flight and Baleful Polymorph are the winners. Mass Fly might be useful too.

Proven_Paradox
2007-04-12, 01:12 PM
Definitely pick up Baleful Polymorph--it's quite useful against casters, since they can't cast spells with verbal or somatic components anymore on a failed fort save. That's handy.

When used properly, Passwall can be a life saver; I'd say it's worth it. Might be more worthwhile as a scroll, though.

Did you bar conjuration? If not, Teleport might be a good investment as well, once you can take non-transmutation spells. If you can do that, I'd suggest waiting a level for it. Otherwise, I'd suggest Overland Flight now.

Telekinesis... Eh, it's not bad. Wonderfully versatile, so I can see why you'd want it. I'd imagine there are better choices, but it would be okay.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 01:26 PM
Passwall is terrific if you're going to be seafaring ("Oho! A hole in the side of your boat! Bye-bye.") or dungeon-delving in the extreme. Otherwise, I'd suggest otherwise.

I'm also a particular fan of Transmute Rock To Mud, since it'll make anyone who can't fly essentially immobile. Coupled with judicious application of Fly and spells that render your foes inable to fly, it can mean that your party can move while theirs can't.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-12, 01:32 PM
I'm also a particular fan of Transmute Rock To Mud, since it'll make anyone who can't fly essentially immobile. Coupled with judicious application of Fly and spells that render your foes inable to fly, it can mean that your party can move while theirs can't.

Not very useful in your average dungeon though, since it only effects unworked materials. Caves? Yes. Dungeons? Not so much.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 01:36 PM
Not very useful in your average dungeon though, since it only effects unworked materials. Caves? Yes. Dungeons? Not so much.

True, true. But you can also get a nice area attack out of it in certain situations, too. 8d6 bludgeoning over a series of 10' cubes, plus newfound muddy immobility? Sweet, particularly if coupled with explosive spell (which I am uncertain if it actually qualifies for or not; my DM allowed it'd be fine once, but I forget the particulars).

Variable Arcana
2007-04-13, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

Conjuration is definitely not barred (it seems like I cast more conjurations than anything else!) -- and Teleport is definitely on the list.

Telekinesis isn't a power spell, but it is extremely versatile. Also, we tend to get involved in fights where we're not sure which side we're on -- I've gotten enormous mileage out of Animate Rope, of all things, and am looking forward to making Trip and Grapple checks instead.

All the points about Permanency are well taken. He's got Craft Wondrous Item, so perhaps his XPs would be better spent on that. I think the reason Permanency looks so good is the lack of cash flow -- we've earned a level's worth of XPs without getting any major treasure. So he can't afford to craft anything particularly good.

In principle, I like Rock to Mud, but I'm not sure we've ever seen natural rock in this campaign -- outdoors or in ruins, the spell is basically useless.

Baleful Polymorph could definitely come in handy -- we seem to face lots of casters (with low Fort saves). This character is primarily a buff-and-utility type at the moment, but recent events might be giving him a harder edge.

Overland Flight does seem useful, in principle, but I'm worried about him becoming a target in combat that way -- he's recently lost a point of Con from aging, and his current hit point total makes me extremely nervous.

It's too bad you can't empower a spell whose numeric effect isn't variable. I'd spend a 5th-level slot for Empowered Greater Mage Armor (+9 AC) in a heartbeat with this character.

Any thoughts on a good 9th level feat? He's *ahem* fairly non-optimized with Scribe Scroll, Brew Potion, Eschew Materials, Combat Casting and Craft Wondrous Item (plus a custom variant of Collegiate Wizard). After his recent aging, Improved Toughness comes to mind... but... there's got to be something more wizardly. I'm thinking of Minor Shapeshift from Complete Mage.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-13, 12:25 PM
Overland Flight doesn't make you a target--it keeps you safe from like 80% of the things you're likely to fight!

Fax Celestis
2007-04-13, 12:26 PM
You could try some of the spelltouched feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm). I've always found them entertaining and moderately useful.