PDA

View Full Version : Gentleman Knight Build Advice

Anderlith
2015-03-27, 01:44 PM
I'm currently playing a character in a friends 5e game, currently I'm a level 2 Fighter, Variant Human, Great Weapon Fighter/Master

Named Sir Rodrick Mandrake the Gatecrasher, Wyrmslayer & Lichbane (a second level party killed a lich because my friend doesn't have much grasp on the rules or the players, we are now level 5)

I want to make them a slayer of monsters where they can kill anything the GM throws at them while never mussing up his hair or indangering his glorious mustache, like Teddy Roosevelt mixed with a pompous British Victorian era explorer & a cultured medieval knight.

What is the best way to do this? I was wondering if going straight fighter would be okay or if i should dip into ranger at all? Are there any other classes that could add a benefit to the build?

He currently wears plate armor & a greatsword

meltodowno
2015-03-27, 02:20 PM
I'm currently playing a character in a friends 5e game, currently I'm a level 2 Fighter, Variant Human, Great Weapon Fighter/Master

Named Sir Rodrick Mandrake the Gatecrasher, Wyrmslayer & Lichbane (a second level party killed a lich because my friend doesn't have much grasp on the rules or the players, we are now level 5)

I want to make them a slayer of monsters where they can kill anything the GM throws at them while never mussing up his hair or indangering his glorious mustache, like Teddy Roosevelt mixed with a pompous British Victorian era explorer & a cultured medieval knight.

What is the best way to do this? I was wondering if going straight fighter would be okay or if i should dip into ranger at all? Are there any other classes that could add a benefit to the build?

He currently wears plate armor & a greatsword

- Polearms are a better investment than a greatsword, assuming you take the feat for them at 4th
- Pick up menacing attack and riposte from battle master

Add them together with the chassis you have, and you have extra attacks and options for all the action's available to you (making better use of the action economy) whilst at the same time giving you some added defensive power to make sure nothing tussles your hair.

Don't bother dipping levels.

Yrnes
2015-03-27, 02:36 PM

Something about this screams bard to me... I can just see vicious mockery working into this character concept. A lot of it might just come down to good roleplaying, too.

Sullivan
2015-03-29, 06:26 PM
pole arm master(For follow up hit), 3 Lv paladin (for the charisma mod to hit/Smite), and all eldritch knight for spell slots/ASI. Smite everything all the time. I'm doing a similar build with pally/cleric in a game I'm in now and it has proven effective, but lacks the ASI I would get from an EK.

Although now that I'm thinking about it the cleric is giving me faster spell leveling than an EK would.

Jlooney
2015-03-29, 07:47 PM
pole arm master(For follow up hit), 3 Lv paladin (for the charisma mod to hit/Smite), and all eldritch knight for spell slots/ASI. Smite everything all the time. I'm doing a similar build with pally/cleric in a game I'm in now and it has proven effective, but lacks the ASI I would get from an EK.

Although now that I'm thinking about it the cleric is giving me faster spell leveling than an EK would.

You shouldn't be getting almost any spells. A full caster half caster and 1/3 caster mix makes it crawl. I wanted to do arcane trickster and ek blend. I wouldn't have gotten 2 level spells till like 8th level.

Sullivan
2015-03-29, 10:17 PM
You shouldn't be getting almost any spells. A full caster half caster and 1/3 caster mix makes it crawl. I wanted to do arcane trickster and ek blend. I wouldn't have gotten 2 level spells till like 8th level.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this. the 2 levels in paladin only put me back 1 lv in my spell progression going cleric/pally, and it made me hit a whole lot harder. I can't speak for the EK Paladin build, never played it just a thought, but I know that the 2 levels for smite is really nice for any caster with a sword.

Anderlith
2015-03-30, 06:21 PM
I was thinking of taking a Bard dip & I have a good Cha score, but I don't want to slow down my melee damage/options/badassery, what would you suggest?

Rfkannen
2015-03-30, 06:27 PM
Well, my first thought on reading it was the gallant bard from the complete bards handbook. And then I remembered this was the 5e thread.

So.... Bards are good. If you go valor it won't slow down your melee damage much.

edit; and now I want to play a gallant bard. I think ill go homebrew one.

burninatortrog
2015-03-30, 09:25 PM
Become an Eldritch Knight and pick up prestidigitation! That's your ticket to looking fresh as a daisy after every fight.

Rfkannen
2015-03-31, 04:46 PM
Well, my first thought on reading it was the gallant bard from the complete bards handbook. And then I remembered this was the 5e thread.

So.... Bards are good. If you go valor it won't slow down your melee damage much.

edit; and now I want to play a gallant bard. I think ill go homebrew one.

I went and home brewed one.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?407057-The-gallant-A-bard-college&p=19043157#post19043157

You probably arent looking for homebrew, but in case you are! Also yeah, its realy just fluff. I mean battlemaster gets an artist kit so you can just roll with that. but if you want it represented mechanically than I would take a couple levels of bard.