PDA

View Full Version : Feats (3.5)

Mulletman258
2015-03-27, 01:46 PM
Is there a way to get a feat without dipping into a class or leveling up

eggynack
2015-03-27, 01:52 PM
Race is a simple one, with human/strongheart halfling as the most obvious choice, and elf somewhat less so. Complete scoundrel lets you buy feats by going to legendary sites, with otyugh's hole for iron will being among the most popular options for prerequisite reasons, and the general quality being pretty low. Last thing I can think of is standard magic items that happen to give feats, like gloves of the balanced hand from the magic item compendium which grant TWF, or ITWF if you already have TWF.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-27, 02:15 PM
It depends on what feat you want. Complete Scoundrel has a bunch of magical locations detailed near the back, most of which give you one of several feats if you do a specific thing at that location.

Flickerdart
2015-03-27, 02:34 PM
You can also retrain (changing an old feat for a new one) or sell your soul/pledge it to an Elder Evil. You can temporarily gain feats with the spells Heroics and Mirror Move.

Cruiser1
2015-03-27, 03:13 PM
Is there a way to get a feat without dipping into a class or leveling up
Yes, look at this compilation: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?206315-3-X-PF-Things-That-Grant-Feats :smallsmile:

Ferronach
2015-03-27, 03:15 PM
If you are first level (or your DM allows it at your current level) you can take a flaw or two from Unearthed Arcana.

Hellborn_Blight
2015-03-27, 03:43 PM
Completely off the realm of RAW, but honestly I've have given and received feats, languages, skill points, templates and EX and Supernatural abilities like DR and SR as story rewards. But if that isn't your or your DMs style then obviously it won't fly. But I like getting off the straight and narrow path sometimes and just not giving out XP and giving a feat or template instead. So who knows, talk to the relevant decision maker in this case and see what you can work out.

Rubik
2015-03-27, 09:02 PM
Look at the descriptions of the Armor and Shield Proficiency feats, in the SRD/PHB. Note that any class that isn't one of those mentioned gains those as bonus feats.

There are two spells in the Fiendish Codex I called Embrace the Dark Chaos, which turns any feat you have into an Abyssal Heritor feat (Chaotic, not Evil), and Shun the Dark Chaos, which turns any Abyssal Heritor feat into any other feat you currently qualify for.

Think about that combo for just a second.

I'll wait.

It also works on any feat granted in any other way, such as Alertness from your familiar/psicrystal, feats granted from magical locations, and feats granted from magic items.

There's an XP cost involved, but there are ways around that, if you're canny.

Afgncaap5
2015-03-27, 09:57 PM
Does specifying for 3.5 prevent you from looking at 3e material? There's something in Arms and Equipment Guide pg. 138 that gives some general, rough guidelines for making magic items that grant feats.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-27, 10:03 PM
Does specifying for 3.5 prevent you from looking at 3e material? There's something in Arms and Equipment Guide pg. 138 that gives some general, rough guidelines for making magic items that grant feats.
Those general guidelines include the item crafter having the feat. So if you're just looking for ways to gain feats for your own use, crafting a custom item for yourself isn't going to help.

Rubik
2015-03-27, 10:05 PM
Those general guidelines include the item crafter having the feat. So if you're just looking for ways to gain feats for your own use, crafting a custom item for yourself isn't going to help.Caveat: See my post above.

Afgncaap5
2015-03-27, 10:58 PM
Those general guidelines include the item crafter having the feat. So if you're just looking for ways to gain feats for your own use, crafting a custom item for yourself isn't going to help.

Ah, yes, so it does. Thanks, I missed that.

PaucaTerrorem
2015-03-27, 11:26 PM
Look at the descriptions of the Armor and Shield Proficiency feats, in the SRD/PHB. Note that any class that isn't one of those mentioned gains those as bonus feats.

There are two spells in the Fiendish Codex I called Embrace the Dark Chaos, which turns any feat you have into an Abyssal Heritor feat (Chaotic, not Evil), and Shun the Dark Chaos, which turns any Abyssal Heritor feat into any other feat you currently qualify for.

Think about that combo for just a second.

I'll wait.

It also works on any feat granted in any other way, such as Alertness from your familiar/psicrystal, feats granted from magical locations, and feats granted from magic items.

There's an XP cost involved, but there are ways around that, if you're canny.

And unless someone has proven this wrong, elves get a handful of proficiency feats for free.

eggynack
2015-03-27, 11:32 PM
And unless someone has proven this wrong, elves get a handful of proficiency feats for free.
What's to prove wrong? The game just out and out says that you get those in feat form.

Rubik
2015-03-28, 03:56 AM
And unless someone has proven this wrong, elves get a handful of proficiency feats for free.And if you're Humanoid, Alter Self nabs you those feats to Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle away, should you so desire. Only lasts for 10 min/lvl, but that ain't my problem.

Darrin
2015-03-28, 06:29 AM
Hasn't been mentioned yet: the Legacy feats from Weapons of Legacy can be purchased via GP (and some Knowledge: History rolls).

More dubious: The Planar Handbook says: "A character may select a heritage feat at any level." However, I think that's just sloppy editing, and the designer meant "A character may select a heritage feat at any level when they would normally select a feat."

ben-zayb
2015-03-28, 07:48 AM
Just to clarify: some of the items from Person_Man's compilation only give the benefits of the feat, not the feat itself.

Grooke
2015-03-28, 02:08 PM
This (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=rjgid6plqapdpa0lkrj8mfjuo7&topic=4099.0) is pretty much the same as Person_man's but listed by feat instead of source (and also by whether you get the actual feat or imitate it)

Ruethgar
2015-03-28, 04:15 PM
Rubik that bit about the proficiencies is devilish. Commoner in full plate lol.