PDA

View Full Version : MTG Card Creation Mafia

mystic1110
2015-03-27, 03:12 PM
MTG Card Creation Mafia

Welcome to Card Creation Mafia. Sign up and play here. I'll roll some die to make around 30% of players Mafia, the rest are regular Townsfolk. Any amount of players welcome - hopefully 12+. I'll call an end to recruitment later next week. Check your PMs to see which one you are. (Only Mafia players know each other.)

Current Players: (struck names means player has died.)
?

Rules:

At the beginning of each Round, I'll post a challenge. This is the start of Daytime (morning), with a deadline of 72 hours.

During Daytime: (morning)

Each player must submit a card fitting the challenge.
No outside influence is permitted in this design.
Mafia players must also abide to a secret rule that will be sent to them via PM.
Mafia players may discuss strategies (ie. "You go for sorcery, I go for creature?") via PM that includes me. But the actual design must be your own.
Cards may not be redesigned (unless they are within spoilers).
If you need a placeholder, use a Spoiler, or PM a placeholder card to me.
Spoilers may also be used to discuss non-final card ideas.
Do not edit your posts! That will lead to a mod kill. Also not posting a card within the morning deadline (72 hours) leads to a mod kill. Mafia not following the secret rule will lead to a mod kill.

When Daytime (morning) ends, I'll post all submitted cards.

Then Daytime (afternoon) begins.

During Daytime: (afternoon)

I'll write down a review of my 3 favorite cards. This review will be secret until the end game retrospective.
Players may speculate about the secret rule.
Players use '/vote Mystic1110' or '/vote none' to commit to a lynching target.

When Daytime ends, the player with most 'lynch' votes dies. If tied, none dies.

Then Nighttime begins.

During Nighttime:

I'll come up with next round challenges and secret rule.
Mafia players choose a townsfolk. That player dies.
UNLESS that player designed one of my favorite cards. Then he or she gets a saving throw:

1st Place: 75% chance to survive the hit.
2nd Place: 50% chance to survive the hit.
3rd Place: 25% chance to survive the hit.

Mafia players may also occupy some of my favorite slots, hence diminishing the town defenses.

The game ends when:

All Mafia players die, and Townsfolk win.
All Townsfolk die, and Mafia players win.

DISCLAIMER: I never hosted a Mafia game. So expect me to make every newbie mistake, and then some. I am also pretty busy, but I thought this would be a great idea - As such I might be a day late in responding. However since this game doesn't take too much commitment from me till the post game write up, I think it should be fine.

CantigThimble
2015-03-27, 03:56 PM
This sounds fun! I'm in. Also, I assume mafia can PM you to confirm if their card is within parameters.

mystic1110
2015-03-27, 04:14 PM
Yes of course! But I will not provide any other hints as to card quality.

(Also Disclaimer: as on other MTG threads what I consider an adequate/good/great card may be different than other designers - but I will do my very best)

CantigThimble
2015-03-27, 04:40 PM
On that note, what formats do you play most/enjoy most? Since I mostly play limited and casual highlander I tend to make and judge cards based on my interest in them in those contexts.

mystic1110
2015-03-27, 04:47 PM
Limited, Legacy, Highlander. :smalltongue:

Duck999
2015-03-27, 04:51 PM
I'll play. Not sure if this should be a structured game or not.

Jormengand
2015-03-27, 04:54 PM
Huh. Sure, okay. I'm in.

mystic1110
2015-03-27, 05:15 PM
I'll play. Not sure if this should be a structured game or not.

I wasn't sure either - but figured that its basically just another MTG creation thread. The Mafia portion of the game will probably turn into card analysis more than anything (although I expect there will be the usual Mafia hijinks)

CantigThimble
2015-03-30, 03:30 PM
Cmon lets get some more people in here! Don't you want an excuse to make cards while convincing everyone that the 3/4 for 4 has a dark and sinister motive?

Jormengand
2015-03-30, 03:37 PM
Cmon lets get some more people in here! Don't you want an excuse to make cards while convincing everyone that the 3/4 for 4 has a dark and sinister motive?

It's a 3/4 for 4, of course it has a dark and sinister motive.

mystic1110
2015-04-02, 09:16 AM

I guess the answer is a resounding No :smallfrown: