PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Stretch Bounded Accuracy With Sensible Items!

wayfare
2015-03-27, 03:40 PM
This post is intended as part design, part debate.

When I first picked up my copy of the DMG, I saw the belts of giants strength and promptly threw my book across the room (maybe a bit of an overreaction, but still). These items seemed really poorly designed, and I spent a lot of time thinking about how I could make them better. Ultimately, I think it's pretty easy, but in order to do it, you have to break Bounded Accuracy. So, below are some of my ideas. Critiques are welcome, and please feel free to debate the merits of items like the Belt of Giant Strength!

Item of ABILITY, Lesser
Uncommon; Requires Attunement
While you have this item equipped, increase your ABILITY rating by 2. This bonus can cause you to exceed 20 in a given attribute, but not 30.
Special: This effect does not stack with any other equipment or effects that increase your attributes.

Item of ABILITY, Greater
Very Rare; Requires Attunement
While you have this item equipped, increase your ABILITY rating by 4. This bonus can cause you to exceed 20 in a given attribute, but not 30.
Once per day, you can gain advantage on any ABILITY check you make.
Special: This effect does not stack with any other equipment or effects that increase your attributes.

Mantle of Perfection
Artifact; Requires Attunement
While you have this item equipped, increase the rating of each of your attributes by 2.
Three times per day, you may choose to gain Advantage on a check, attack, or save of your choice.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Stealthscout
2015-03-27, 03:54 PM
I'd be careful going too far down that path for the same reason you don't like the girdle in the DMG. Might be a smaller bonus but it is the same problem.

If you want to stretch it more, you have two options - either
Just give them a +1 on their weapon but flavor it as a strength/dex thing
Make something to help in more specific, non-combat ways.

An example:
Girdle of the Lifter
When wearing this girdle, you gain advantage on any strength check where you are attempting to lift or carry a heavy object. If successful, you can calculate your movement and speed as though you have a strength of [x]. (I would prefer 24 to make it fun but not game breaking)