PDA

View Full Version : Mythic Way of the Wicked IC

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-03-28, 03:59 PM
Way of the WickedPrologue: Sacred hospitality

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?406375-Mythic-Way-of-the-Wicked-OOC)

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/248/0/c/gilead_prison_cell_by_rusty001-d2y36jg.jpg (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/248/0/c/gilead_prison_cell_by_rusty001-d2y36jg.jpg)

You are sentenced to die - having proven yourself as utterly depraved and beyond any reasonable hope for redemption.

You have arrived yesterday afternoon, just before sundown; you have spent a rough night chained to the wall in a dirty cell with thoroughly unpleasant company, and you're scheduled to be executed at noon. The prison's executioner randomly decides to be *merciful* and sometimes extends the life of an inmate for a day or two, but each day, the axe falls and the pyre burns to purge the wicked from the holy land. A minor satrapy of the Empire of Kelesh (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Kelesh), yet nonetheless a major attraction for Sarenite pilgrims from all over the world, Talingarde enjoys a period of peace and prosperity - peace you have dared to disturb with your vile deeds.

For your crime(s), you have been imprisoned in Branderscar, the infamous maximum security prison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison#Security_levels) of Talingarde.
To your disgust, you've found the entire area of Branderscar to be hallowed and bespelled with a Zone of Truth; this makes the game of intimidation and veiled half-truths rather difficult if you want to convince a prison guard to put you in a different cell, away from the drooling prisoners who have already given up on their life.

You're not one of these fools - you have tasted power, REAL power...and you're hungry for more.
Even now, you are certain that you will escape somehow...despite the mark burned in your flesh, in your left forearm that brands you as Forsaken (http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/167940/Branded.gif): Someone beyond even the mercy of Sarenrae, the goddess of redemption. She's also known to swiftly remove unrepentant evil - to the good citizens of Talingarde, you are a cancer that must be cut out for the greater good.

Despite your bleak overall situation - you are captive, without any weapons, tools, or allies; you will be executed within a few hours, and you are aware that since Talingarde was converted into a prison, noone has ever managed to escape - you are plotting how to accomplish exactly this impossible feat.

Branderscar prison

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
A'
B'
C'
D'
E'
F'

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

:

:

#

#

:

:

#

#

:

:

#

#

:

:

#

#

+
:
+
#

#

:

#

#

:

#

#

+

#

#
+
+

#

#
#

:

:

:

#

#
#

:

:

:

#

#
#

:

:

+

#

#
#

:

:

:

#

#
#

:

:

:

#

#

:

:

:

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

+

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

#

#
<
<

#

#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

Please state your position in one of the six cells using coordinates
(e.g. B2 or V16).

You are chained to the wall, that means you must be adjacent to the wall.

Feel free to RP. Remember, you are planning to break out:
*What resources do you have?
*What resources can you acquire?

dancrilis
2015-03-28, 05:12 PM
Que Xuan

Chained to the wall stripped, and dressed in rags was not how she imagined herself a month ago - her mission complete and her exit clear she had been effectively told to allow this to happen - she had heard her mistress in her head and been sure, so sure ... but that she hadn't heard her recently. Still that was what faith was for, if she had served well she had nothing to fear ... and if she hadn't her death was was likely both due and the only the start of her issues.

She chuckled at that, as it made her decision for her - escape was in order, she had followed her instructions well and now was the time to impress the prison and cast doubt on its care taker, a few whispered words spread about how it was an inside job to free people, how the prison was a recruiting ground ... well the possibilities were worthy of exploring.

On her own she would need tools to pick the lock, or possibly work at bypassing the chains with precision strikes but the later was unlikely to work - more physically capable people than her had been held here precision or no.

A meal with bone might work but they were unlikely to provide such - so the fall back became to use the guards themselves or her fellow prisoners.

Her voice mostly light and friendly as it rang out - if a little hoarse"salutations all, with a pick I may be able to free us - of anyone has a tool that may work, she smiled around her "and pardon my manners to introduce myself after asking for assistance Que Xuan".

"If not I may be able to convince one of the guards to take mercy on me, to free us - if none of you alert them" looking around the room evaluating her fellows "even is we get out of these cells we likely will need one another. So under the truth wards of this place can we pledge to work together until we are free and clear - and if desired to part ways for at least 24 hours after before seeking conflict with one another should personalities clash. I make my pledge to those terms with to others who pledge similarly", she was relying on the truth affect to trust them and the insane could likely switch up after honestly pledging but it was better than nothing ... and the fact that they could use the tools of the prison against them for alliance was a minor win at any rate.

S2

Tantether
2015-03-28, 05:50 PM
[Mother Gisane is chained up at V2.]

The once-revered Mother cleared her throat from the neighbouring cell. Despite the filthy conditions around them, Gisane was tidily dressed, her hair brushed (with great difficulty, using manacled hands) to one side, her rags arranged modestly. Que Xuan’s call had interrupted her seventh prayer of the day, a gentle rumbling mantra which the other prisoners may have been used to by now – perhaps with amusement, perhaps with irritation:

I swear my soul to one who frees me
From unjust chains and gives me the path
To wisdom and mercy through pain
I swear my soul to one who frees me…

“I swear on my soul not to betray any who will escape with me, and help me bring revenge to these injustices,” she replied seriously to Que Xuan. “I am Mother Gisane, and I would not lie to you, even if there weren’t the truth wards. I am the only real mercy and justice in this place.” She shook her chains at her neighbour through their shared bars. “These cretins believe me a heretic. If you say I’ve been threatening and cajoling your immortal soul into danger, they could be more inclined to take mercy. Make them believe we're against each other.”

weary atlas
2015-03-28, 06:42 PM
Isiah Mistwalker

Divinations are a marvelous way to learn what the future brings...most of the time. It would be beyond embarrassing to be hung over mis-reading some tea leaves, though. Rhyze would never let him live it down, neither in this life or the next.

Isiah watches the pair with a faint smirk. Easy to tell who would complain and do nothing in grim situations such as these. As always, there were people who talked...and people who acted.

"Allies in chains, eh? I suppose I've had stranger comrades. Help me look around...maybe there's something we can get 'hold of for these locks...""

His pale green eyes ran over the varied detritus of the cell. After a moment, he began muttering in elvish and pointing at various bits of debris.

"Oi! Girl. Does it have to be metal, or would a twig do?"

Perception check... [roll0],
I'm looking for something within range of Mage Hand that could feasibly be used as a pick.

If I can locate something, I'll levitate it to the edge of my range (25 ft), then shove it out with the move action (15 ft) more. Should be enough to get it near Tang, who can then toss it to her.

Location at E13

Also, how binding are these chains? Can we move at all? Wrists to the wall? Are Somatic components restricted?

Feel free to take it from here if I can just root around the room for sticks or hay. I didn't want to add more until I know spell-casting is possible.

Segrain
2015-03-28, 10:05 PM
A man was chained to a wall. It was not the most unusual sight, certainly not when you are in prison; but if it is indeed you who are imprisoned and chained, it suddenly becomes the most interesting thing in the world. Such is human nature: until some manner of ailment strikes someone directly, it is as good as nonexistent for him; and it is struggling against this uncaring nature and trying to cure everyone, everywhere, whether they want it or not that brought this man hither. The cell was of no particular interest for him; one way or another, he will soon be out of it, and if it will happen in the most expected way, then he already knows the taste of what is awaiting him. Fire only licked his flesh, leaving its mark and claiming him for upcoming consumption, but it was not the meeting that he would like to repeat. Mere scar on an arm was not going to stop a man learned in ways of treating much worse wounds, but chains were another matter, and against them he was powerless. He was; but even declared forsaken, he was not yet alone. Jumping away from the brand on his left arm, his gaze slid further to the left and stopped on a pair of talking women.

"I was once known as brother Tang", - spoke a soft voice from the cell in the far corner, - "Although not many of my brethren will call Xing Tang their brother now. In another place and another time, Mother, I would gladly dispute the nature of mercy and justice; but to ever again see another place and time, we have to leave hence first, and for this I swear to honour an alliance. But how do you plan to escape our chains and cells?"

His eyes returned to his own cell. It was unlikely that there could be anything to be found or that anything could even be done in his shackles, but it certainly could not make it worse to look around. In fact, not much could make anything worse that things already were.
Located at G2.
I am assuming that in Tien surname is first and name is last; feel free to correct me if anyone knows (or DM decides) it to be otherwise.

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-03-29, 04:52 AM
As the four most prominent prisoners of Branderscar forge an alliance and look for ways to escape, their fellow prisoners react in various ways.

There are the stoics; these inmates have completely shut down in the face of impending death; they keep their eyes closed and their movement minimal as they try to ignore everything around them. Perhaps they're trying to convince themselves that their present fate is nothing but a particularly vivid nightmare, and by disbelieving it with sufficient willpower, they could overcome it like a wizard's illusion...

There are the broken; cruel people who have tortured and abused others, but who cannot stomach a single minute of confinement or the thought of their own execution. Faced with such a future, their minds have shattered in denial and fear; they are sometimes babbling, screaming and struggling against their chains before exhaustion forces them to rest for a while. These have been quite annoying during the night, as they've made it even more difficult to get some rest.

There are the loudmouths, who constantly lead extremely loud conversations until an angry prison guard opens the door to the cell block, then fall quiet to avoid being gagged.
Of course, the instant the guard closes the door again, they continue their blathering... wild speculations, rumours, threats, the recounting of their crimes, their daring escapes until they were finally captured and brought here to die.

There are two prisoners who do not fall into any of these groups - the ogre, and the crazy old snitch.
The Ogre is very quiet; he rarely speaks, and merely watches what is going on.
He is the sole occupant of his cell, and some old bloodstains at the wall speak of the fate of his cellmates who probably thought it was funny to taunt the big guy.

The crazy old snitch is someone who has somehow weaseled himself into the good graces of the prison's executioner - his execution is postponed with unfailing regularity every single day, and his long beard nearly touches the ground.
His habit of ratting on the other prisoners doesn't make him very likable, though...you may have to watch your words around this one or convince him to remain silent on the details of any escape plan you want to succeed.

Branderscar prison

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
A'
B'
C'
D'
E'
F'

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

st

st

@

:

ld

ld

st

br

@

:
@

ld

br

ld

st

#

#

:

:

#

#
br

:

:

ld
#

#

:

:

#

#
ld

+
:
+
#

#

:

#

#
st

:

#

#

+

#

#
+
+

#

#
#
ld

:

:

:

#

#
#

:

:

:

br
#

#
#
@

:

:

+

#

#
#

:

:

:

ld
#

#
#
br

:

Gr(1)

:

:

#

#

st

st

Sn

:

Gr(2)

:

:

ld

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

+

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

#

#
<
<

#

#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

You are entangled and immobilized.
Your reach is reduced by 5'; this means you can only handle items within your own square.
The character is ensnared. Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force. An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and a –4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose the spell.

Isiah fails to spot a twig, or a spoon, or a fork, or anything else that might serve as makeshift pick for Que Xuan to use. But perhaps one of the other prisoners has managed to keep something hidden on his person...

dancrilis
2015-03-29, 05:19 AM
Que Xuan

She turned to smile at the older woman "perhaps, but I believe that if I can generate a crisis of faith using nothing but the truth it will likely go better for us", looking around her "Sarenrae is a goddess of redemption - and I am only recently an adult, raised by enemies of the land - while I have no interest or need for such to claim that a fair attempt has been made would be laughable, especially when compared to others who have seen the light" shrugging "if I can prey on the ego of a guard and show a path to greatness in the eyes of his deity - well I might not have to deceive at all.

Turning to the man "frankly I am dubious as to if my skills will not have been accounted for regardless of tool - but the stronger the tool the better" examining the manacles on her and how they were connected to the wall "of course even a flat bar may work for someone stronger than me to twist the chains out of the wall".

"Give me a few minutes and I can tell you more on them" she began to examine all aspect so the restraints with a more critical eye, testing the weight, listening for movement in the lock, noting the wall connection and and weaknesses present or particular links that were weaker than others, she avoided attempting to pick the lock yet as doing so could damage it and make opening impossible. Something to consider if she needed more time after tomorrow.

Looking to establish what tools she would need to escape and what - bone, metal, wood, string anything at present. Or if it was simply beyond her.

Was going to spend 6 minutes doing a full take 20 on appraise, disable device and escape artist.
But not sure appraise is appropriate for figuring out anything but price and don't want accidentally jam the lock with disable device.
The results would have been appraise 28, disable device 26, escape artist 22. If they would be fair to use.

Tantether
2015-03-29, 05:42 AM
She turned to smile at the older woman "perhaps, but I believe that if I can generate a crisis of faith using nothing but the truth it will likely go better for us", looking around her "Sarenrae is a goddess of redemption - and I am only recently an adult, raised by enemies of the land - while I have no interest or need for such to claim that a fair attempt has been made would be laughable, especially when compared to others who have seen the light" shrugging "if I can prey on the ego of a guard and show a path to greatness in the eyes of his deity - well I might not have to deceive at all.

The Mother smiled and shook her head. "There is no possibility of deception within these wards anyway - but who said anything about lying?" Leaning over the bars, she began a horrible whisper to her neighbour. "Pray to the Prince of Law, my dear, who brings real justice to the world. Give to him your soul which festers here in Saranrae's false mercy. Pour into his lap your innocence, abused by these blind zealots. He will reward you with the power and wisdom to repair a broken world around you. He will honour your devotion with your survival. He is king. He is king." She leaned back onto the wall to which she was chained. "Now, test the truth spell by answering this question: Has the heretic Mother tempted you, and endangered your soul?"

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-03-29, 07:25 AM
"Psst. Jack! Jack, pay attention! We have some professionals among us...Heh. Heh. Hahahaha - *cough, splutter* -gck; damn this cursed old body and its ills... where was I... JACK! LISTEN!"
The crazy snitch stage-whispered to the Ogre in the adjacent cell. He seemed to be greatly amused by the interaction between Mother Gisane and the young girl, watching both intently. His eyes gleamed with intelligence and madness alike, while his spindly fingers shivered - perhaps from excitement, perhaps because of a nervous tic.

A few minutes pass. Que Xuan examines her manacles, the chains binding her to the wall, the massive iron rings forged into certain bricks of the wall, and the reinforced iron bars of her cell...You are bound with Masterwork Manacles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/tools-kits#TOC-Manacles) and ordinary Fetters (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/tools-kits#TOC-Fetters). Both your fetters and Manacles are connected via a Chain (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/tools-kits#TOC-Chain) to the wall - your left foot and your right hand is tied to the wall; your feet and hands are connected by a short(~1ft) chain. <-This chain is part of the manacles/fetters and refers to the chain connecting your left wrist to your right wrist // your left ankle to your right ankle

The restraints and chains are dirty - covered with dried blood and some other stains from unidentifiable substances, but fully functional.
The manacles have an average lock (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/tools-kits#TOC-Lock); the fetters have a simple lock (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/tools-kits#TOC-Lock). Each pair of manacles and fetters has a number engraved.
Unlock manacles: DC 25 Disable device
Escape manacles: DC 35 Escape Artist
Break manacles: DC 28 Strength check

Unlock fetters: DC 20 Disable device
Escape fetters: DC 30 Escape Artist
Break fetters: DC 26 Strength check

Break a chain: DC 26 Strength check.

Everything is made from iron: it has hardness 10. Chains have 5 HP, Manacles/Fetters have 4 HP.

Without proper tools, you take a -2 penalty on Disable device checks.

Segrain
2015-03-29, 08:07 AM
Whatever the female couple was planning, they were too far away to listen to their whispers. In a jail full of other prisoners, there was too much noise... but for a poor man even a piece of trash can be considered a great treasure, and for somebody in dire need of assistance even meaningless chatter can pass for a sage advice. Leaving the women to their quiet conversation, Tang switched his attention to others. Their behaviour was not unexpected; those too deep in grand illnesses often lost their minds to panic and despair. Still, even from ramblings of madmen many things could be learned; Tang was not a man of crime and fighting against law, but some of his fellow prisoners were - at least, if their stories were to be believed, since present evidence suggested that they probably were not as good as that as they would likely claim. But if they believed themselves strong enough to speak so even under the weight of prison curse, there should had been at least something in their stories.

Tang was not a man of criminal life, but he had met many people and learned to understand them well enough. Of course, the one sort of people that he met most often were the ill and sick; and so, even if, perhaps, somewhat against his will, his eyes were drawn to the bearded old man. And his words and laughter, easily heard even over the chatter of others, earned him a gloomy frown. "'Damn'? Are you certain that your body is insufficiently damned as it is?" - former monk's cold gaze now was examining old man with great attention. - "Be quiet. Your coughing is not a good sign, and raising your voice would only make things worse. Or is there something particular that you just need to say at any cost to your health?"

It was not a threat. Probably. Who knows, maybe the man who somehow survived here for so long is going to share some secret, before his ailments would finally overcome him? Or one of other talkative people would mention something that he always managed to sneak past any guards?
Perception +8, Sense Motive +9. Studied Target on snitch for additional +1 on both.
Not sure if either of those, or even something else, should be rolled/auto-taken for listening to conversations; those sorts of checks are usually in DM's domain anyway.

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-03-29, 09:08 AM
'Jack', as the giant brute in solitary confinement was called, ignored the whispers of his neighbour and blankly stared ahead. As the old man didn't stop with his insistent chatter, commenting on every nuance of whatever caught his remarkably limited attention, a low rumble emerged from his chest and he balefully glared in the bearded fools' direction.

"Be quiet, Jim. I'm trying to think."

Jim, an old fool(or was his behaviour carefully concealed wisdom?) and expert survivor did not answer or react to the words of Brother Tang. Maybe his silly mind did not consider them as important as Grumblejack the Ogre or the two *professionals* engaged in theological discourse.

Brother Tang gets a strange hunch that Jim is only playing the part of an obnoxious fool, and may be carrying some faint, desperate hope...

dancrilis
2015-03-29, 09:56 AM
Que Xuan

She ignored the room as she focused on the task at hand only answering when she was done, "no possibility of falsehood perhaps but deception can likely yet be accomplished. But in blunt answer to your question - no you have not tempted me nor endangered my soul, I will enter hell when it is my time and will than serve in the capacity deemed fit, this has been a given for my entire remembered life and I am content with that, for Lord Asmodeus we all serve in our own ways - but my way is via the End of Innocence".

"With some tools I could remove these from myself - assuming they are standardised the door and other manacles could be opened also", turning to the snitch and the Ogre she focused on the Ogre, and changed to the tongue of Giant.

Her voice was odd with the language, a mixture of the boom expected but far to quite, "So Jack I assume I am understood - I am frankly impressed by your Tien the level of fluency is not what Ogres are known for - but perhaps speaking in private may be better with your friend so close, if he does not understand the tongue of course. But I also wanted to ensure your attention by using it" she shrugged "I offer a trade - two items, firstly you provide a promise not to kill or harm any party that escapes this day and I ensure your freedom with that party, secondly you provide me with a bone from one of those close to you to allow this freedom - one of the lower arm bones snapped to be sharp and thin so it could fit within the lock would do".

weary atlas
2015-03-29, 01:21 PM
Isiah Mistwalker

Isiah continues muttering formula for a few more moments, then throws up his hands with a curse and a scowl.

"Blast! Damn these accursed chains, I haven't botched a spell that badly since I was but a lad.

[roll0] vs. DC 15

He sinks down against the wall, punctuated by the clatter of chains. Dark thoughts descend on him, darkening his face as the seriousness of the situation becomes clear.

This torpor is broken abruptly as the old man speaks up. That fabulous beard was not grown in a day...or a week.

"Hey. Old man. You have the look of a man who knows how to stay clear of trouble. Got any advice for a newcomer?

Directed towards the old man, trying to make friends.
I think you have to add all rolls Pre- edits otherwise they don't work, right?
[roll1]

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-03-29, 02:09 PM
The ogre seems startled to hear his native tongue, and his empty gaze clears up as he musters the slender waif chained up at the opposite wall with some interest."Someone who can talk properly! I was beginning to die of boredom in this wretched place. These foolish little ones do not dare to execute me, even though they make a lot of noise - but they are afraid of me, of the mighty Jack!

Tell me, then, girl who can talk in my tongue - why should I believe you? Why should I trust you to keep your part of the bargain? The truth-magick is nothing but superstition - the fools stumble upon their own words, that's all. They're afraid of being questioned under fire and iron, so they avoid useless lies.

The little ones have proven themselves to be cowards - they poison my tea to sap my strength, yet they do not dare to approach me themselves.
They speak about justice and punishment, but they have done nothing to me. Stupid! Are you really any different? Why should I trust you?"The other prisoners fall silent as the ogre speaks - apparently, this is a totally alien experience to most of them.

Meanwhile, Jim can hardly contain his excitement. He jumps in place and gestures wildly - at least to the extend that his constraints allow. "Don't listen to her, Jack! She's trying to poison your mind, just like the tea! Don't listen to her!" The old man continues his stage-whisper, but his voice is nearly drowned out by the massive ogres rumbling basso.

Brother Tang gets the impression that the old man doesn't truly mean his words...

Isiah gets the impression that the old man is very observant of his surroundings, even though he does not react to his friendly approach at the moment, being far too preoccupied with whatever Que Xuan and Jack are telling each other.

Que Xuan gets the impression that Jack is honest towards her, despite his mocking of the truth-wards.

I'd like everyone to be aware of the trope of the Unreliable narrator (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnreliableNarrator). NPCs may provide information that they consider to be true, but that is actually false. NPCs may provide information that they consider to be false, but actually contains truth.

If I describe something as DM, you can rely on that information.

dancrilis
2015-03-29, 07:17 PM
Que Xuan

"I can offer no guarantees that I can demonstrate within this cell, but logically there is no loss to you - if I am lying you can bellow for the guards and give me away. If I am incapable of escaping you have lost nothing but a bone. But if am truthful you have gained your freedom. While the individual guards might fear you - eventually they will either want you dead enough to do it cowardly with bows at the edge of your cell, or they expect to somehow break you into serving them. Knowing the followers of Sarenrae it is likely the second option truth be told - as I will cover now".

She turned her attention to the old man "ha - I like you, the subtle mockery of our attempts. Clearly you have seen people that feel they are smart enough to escape before and long outlived them" she voice took an inquisitive tone "which poses the question as to why?", her smile dangerous "my guess is that based on high turnover of prisoners - it would be simple to plant an agent inside the cells, warn of any break out - act in place for a month as favoured prisioner and than leave to a years pay for your trouble. Not nice work but necessary right - and if someone can be redeemed, if you think it is worth is - well Sarenrae would turn Lord Asmodeus himself if she could right?", her eyes flicked to Jack and held it as she continued to speak to the old man, "which brings us to our friend Jack, a very intelligent Ogre would be a worthy prize for Sarenrae - so an agent of hers would tell the Ogre not to listen, would try to become his friend, maybe warn him of mild poisons in the food - convince him that only you can save him but that he has to act a certain way, think a certain way, be a good friendly Ogre - and than maybe he can have a private cell, maybe better food, maybe sly whispers about how he had to listen to the agent and the agent alone - he could have everything even freedom of only he would stop being himself - if only he would serve", she moved back to speaking Giant.

"I don't know that is what is happening but were I one of Sarenrae's it would be my plan - if they have considered it, it will still take months maybe years and than a lifetime of living up to there 'trust'. You would not be who you were at the beginning - and will likely be changed enough to loath your current self.

So your call; a likely a death with no chance to fight back, freedom today as yourself, or months of manipulation so you become someone else entirely - and spend the rest of your life as the Jack the Friendly Ogre."

She leaned back against the wall - if the Ogre was going to help it she had made her pitch, if he hadn't he likely wouldn't listen to the old man either.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Segrain
2015-03-30, 03:34 AM
Tang could easily understand feelings of his fellow prisoners. Sounds of ogre's voice was already quite impressive, but it was doubly so unexpected to hear the young girl address him with great eloquence in what was probably the language of those creatures. Whatever other secrets could she be hiding in her metaphorical sleeves, she must had some manner of a plan, and since he did not understand a single word of the used tongue, it was best to leave those two to their talking. Of course, there was somebody else who did not intend to leave them alone - but with that Tang could do something.

"Listen to him, old man. Be quiet. Stay calmer. Drink more tea... although I am unsure about how can you get it in prison. But for a man of your age, those are good ways to stay healthy. Considering the conditions here... and your coughing... and your curses... as a healer, I expect you to be able to survive like this for a month more. Or even for two." - Of course, old Jim could probably live for much longer, but that did not make smaller estimates technically wrong, only extremely cautious. - "And that is much more than most people here get. We all should be envious of your fate. So you probably understand why everybody else tries to make escape plans... not that they have as long to think about it as you do, of course. But we have to deal with what we are given, or at least with help of those whom we can trust to join us... do not worry, though. Surely you have no need for anyone's assistance and are quite satisfied with your life here?"

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-03-30, 07:34 AM
Pathfinder's Diplomacy rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/diplomacy)
I'm treating Que Xuan's attempt as *Request for simple aid*.
The Ogre has a +0 Charisma modifier, and is currently Indifferent to Que Xuan; Friendly to Jim, and Unfriendly to everyone else.

As outlined in the linked rules above, a simple request made to an Indifferent target requires a DC 15+Cha modifier Diplomacy check; Que Xuan succeeds.
Further requests will be at +5 DC per additional request.

Isiah attempts to influence the attitude of Jim, who is Indifferent towards everyone except Jack and has a -1 Charisma modifier; this requires a DC 14 check to improve the attitude to Friendly, or a DC 19 check to improve the attitude to Helpful.
His check result of 16 succeeds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19031918&postcount=13) at turning Jim Friendly; but this requires 1 minute of interaction, time which has not yet passed.

"There are quite a few smart ones in yesterday's bunch, aren't there...Satisfied? HAH!" The old prisoners sudden outburst, coupled with his raised voice seemed at odds with his previous behaviour where he pretended to ignore any conversation directed at him. Despite his words, he wasn't looking at Brother Tang, nor at Isiah who adressed him earlier...but at a practically comatose prisoner in his immediate vicinity.
Perhaps he preferred one-sided conversations.

He fell silent, for a brief, blessed moment - as more coughs racked his haggard body and he struggled to breathe. Then he began to scream at a rather impressive volume: "GUARDS! GUARDS!"

Tantether
2015-03-30, 08:14 AM
Gisane was, if anything, relieved to hear him call for the guards. In their current stasis, any change was a new opportunity – and this was an opportunity for information. “There has to be some kind of secret to the snitch, some relationship with the guards guaranteeing his survival,” the Mother whispered across to Que Xuan, “keep working on the giant. I’ll watch him like a hawk. If all else fails, tell them you want to be moved away from me. Look for a chance.”

Rolling onto her side, the former nun huddled within her rags, trying to look inconspicuous and unconscious. Her eyes, however, gleamed out and waited for the guards.

Stealth +5 (assuming -4 for Entangled applies here), Perception +4, Sense Motive +8.

weary atlas
2015-03-30, 11:52 AM
Isiah Mistwalker

Isiah's eyes narrowed to slits as the old man began shouting for help.

Guards. Damn. No way of knowing if this is will help or harm. Best I can do is bide my time...

I wonder how long it takes for them to get in here? Useful information. Better count it off...

His gaze wanders to the cell-block door, then drifts down and away as the shouting continues.
Bluff check to appear disinterested and lost in my own thoughts-
[roll0]

Perception check to listen for coming footsteps, trying to get an idea of how far the guards are coming from, if there's multiple doors involved, etc.
[roll1]

Segrain
2015-03-30, 01:35 PM
There still was more to be said. Having achieved at least some progress, Tang was certain that he is on the right way. Not only in this conversation in particular; his faith in the idea of preaching the truth burned brightly anew. People can be persuaded; it just takes some time to find the right path to everyone's heart. Sure, to some it might go through ears, while others are easier to reach through the ribcage, but brother Tang could go either way - or both at once, if need be. But for now, it was better to stay silent. There was more to be said, but not when Jim suddenly decided to call the guards. Did he see something that is not so easy to perceive from the distance? Or is it some cunning trick, is he just for some reason needs their wardens to arrive? Whatever will happen, it is worth of observing, and observing means not interfering.

Tang stayed quiet. His gaze still locked to Jim, trying to understand his weird antics, but that still allowed him to watch most of other cells with at least corners of his eyes, and, perhaps more importantly, listen to them all. Maybe it was not so unusual for the old man to raise some kind of alert, and everyone, including guards, will react to it as such. Maybe it was something exceptional, and then everyone's response will only serve a better indicator of what can be expected from them in the future. Either way, he could not do much - and the best thing he could do was staying silent and pretending to be nobody of any importance or misbehaviour.

dancrilis
2015-03-30, 06:03 PM
Que Xuan

If it was her that send the old man off this could be a opportunity - depending on how many guards arrived. "If they do unlock me mother if you can set them off balance it may be of assistance".

With that she settled into observing the room wondering for the first time at the smell - she had not noted a smell if urine of fecal matter, and suspected that while some of the broken minds here produced such Sarenrae's compassion and mercy and lack of desire to aid disease allowed guarded access to facalities. Either that are she had merely been fortunate not to consider it until now and the smell of bodies was blocking it out.

Still if the guards were not here for her, she knew how she might convince them now to allow her release now.

She waited to see.

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-03-31, 10:41 AM
The prisoners were shaken from their silent attention as the old man yelled for the guards.
The stoics continued to stare at some fixed point on the wall, the broken twisted and curled up as much as their restraints allowed, trying to make themselves as small as possible, and the loudmouths actually *joined* Jim's attempts to call the guards and shift the blame to someone else.

In the midst of clamoring prisoners, the sounds of a heavy bar being removed and multiple locks being operated are nearly drowned out alongside some conversation among the prison guards outside the cell block.

After about half a minute later, the reinforced door in the south-west part of the cell block is opened and five prison guards enter the room. Their uniforms bear the heraldry of Branderscar prison; they are equipped with scimitars and clubs, and appear to be quite confident - judging from their posture and casual conversation as they check the integrity of the various prison cells with obvious routine.
One of them bears religious insignia; an angelic ankh, the holy symbol of Sarenrae, on a chain around his neck. He is casting some spells in rapid succession as he passes by the cells, fixing the prisoners with an intense glare for several long moments before moving on.

As he arrives at the ogre's cell, he speaks - and his booming voice is easily heard, but not understood by anyone save Jack and Que Xuan."Why, Jack, you have stopped giving everyone the silent treatment...and look, everyone listens! No wonder old Jim is making such a fuss - I've already ordered a bucket of tea for you to calm down... or would you rather prefer we talk in private? Something about your stash that's still hidden who-the-hell-knows where?"
Branderscar prison

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
A'
B'
C'
D'
E'
F'

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

st

st

@

:

ld

ld

st

br

@

:
@

ld

br

ld

st

#

#

:

:

#

#
br

:

:

ld
#

#

:

:

#

#
ld

+
:
+
#

#

:

#

#
st

:

Pg
BrB

Pg

Pg

#

#

+

#

#
+
+

#

#
#
ld

:

:

:

#

#
#

:

:

:

br
#

#
#
@

:

:

+

#

#
#

:

:

:

ld
#

#
#
br

:

Gr(1)

:

:

#

#

st

st

Sn

:

Gr(2)

:

Pg

:

ld

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

+

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

#

#
<
<

#

#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

Brother Tang and Isiah identify the spells being cast as Sift (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sift), allowing the guard to search the cells without entering them.http://fs1.directupload.net/images/150331/m7n2ptje.png (http://www.directupload.net)

dancrilis
2015-03-31, 11:37 AM
Que Xuan

She watched intently as the guards entered trying to catch pieces of there conversations she could use for later. the number of them concerned her - she had hoped for two bored and an inattentive two at that, but this would suffice.

While tempted to listen further to the Ogre's conversation she instead spoke up - her accent changed as she did, gone was any hint of higher learning that she might have had and replaced with the less cultured tone and mannerisms expected from the low born.

"Oy wankers, need to do to get some privacy for taking a dump - unless your daft god thinks it funny to let us wallow in it" eyeing them individually "or maybe ye like girls like that" she sneered "sickos" her voice held a little fear as she said the last bit quieter. She paused as the attention moved to her and caught the guard who looked most annoyed at her insults eye as she put on a show of bravado "what afraid you need more men to escort me - bring one of your friends while the head arsewipe there talks to the big guy if ye are yellow and need a friend to help you with a girl of my size".

It was a delicate play - pretending to put on obvious false bravado so that people would note the fear below and thereby underestimated the true ploy beneath, two outside the room in a private area she might be able to take - one who was angry was better.

Sense Motive: [roll0]
* +7 because she is trying to figure out someone who has a dark impulse to punish/harm her and would need to do so alone.
Bluff: [roll1] to convince everyone that her bravado is false and that she is really afraid.
Diplomacy: [roll2] to grant her request to leave the cell.

Attempting to use Sense Motive to pick the guard most likely to be influenced by her bluff/diplomacy.
Using Bluff to plant the idea that she is effectively harmless in a manner that allows her to attract attention.
Using Diplomacy combined with Bluff to 'Suggest Course of Action (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/bluff)' of releasing her and escorting her alone.

Even if the idea planting doesn't work the others might work on there own to allow her out of the cell (but likely more/much more heavily guarded).

Plan would be to either subdue/kill one guard and steal his stuff. Possible defeat two. Or to try and steal from three to get keys.

Tantether
2015-04-01, 04:18 AM
“Don’t you dare take her!” Mother Gisane screeched from her cell in quite a new voice, shaking her chains in apparent fury. “That girl belongs to me! She belongs to my Lord! I will not let the pubescent servants of a false god take a wandering soul from me – I’ll chain you to a wall first, and it will be your entrails that hold you, not chains.” Throwing herself onto the floor, she attempted to crawl towards Que Xuan, fixing her with an obsessive gaze. Such a ploy was aimed at the priest, primarily – but the threats might also spur on an irritated guard to defy her.

No lies spoken! I'm not sure how this complicated act resolves into rolls - she's trying everything:
Aid Another (Diplomacy): [roll0]
Aid Another (Bluff): [roll1]
Intimidate: [roll2]

Segrain
2015-04-01, 08:29 AM
Tang watched the ankh-wearing guard with disappointed frown. If he routinely checks every cell with magical thoroughness, it was extremely unlikely that anyone could keep anything hidden, even if it somehow was sneaked inside in the first place. At least, unless it was hidden through means no less careful... that thought actually gave him a new idea, but it probably should had waited until jailers return to their posts, or he will give away his secret as easily as that guard just did - and it would be too dangerous mistake, if there is any chance of escape.

Thinking so, Tang skipped most of the guard's words that he could not understand anyway, but Gisane's voice interrupted his line of thought. That woman certainly had a certain gift of rich fantasy... it was easy to imagine just how she ended in the prison. And Tang's own imprisonment never before felt so inconveniencing - he should have been taking notes, not hanging on his chains and trying to memorise it for future use... assuming, of course, that there will be any future at all for him. Fingers on manacled hands came in motion, as if tying some imaginary knots. Who knows, the base idea was, probably, anatomically possible, but it was difficult to make any prediction without test subject at hand... they should certainly try it together at some time in the future. And that, once again, requires some way to ensure the existence of said future...

Tang's frowning gaze switched to Xuan for a moment. Whatever she was trying to achieve, it was too dangerous, too risky... not that he had any better ideas. From his place, he could only observe the events and hope for the best.

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-04-02, 08:07 AM
The guards glance towards each other, before a nod from their superior officer - the spellcaster who just addressed Jack - caused two of them to march towards the cell of Que Xuan. They unlocked it, and moved towards the girl. One guard drew his scimitar with a practiced motion, and spoke in a manner that hinted at rote memorization of this phrase: "Talingarde's prison regulations require that a prisoner who has to be medically treated or who needs to perform bodily functions must be escorted by at least two armed guards. Should the prisoner attempt to escape he is to be stopped with lethal force." The other guard replied in a similar manner: "Let Justice prevail!"

The chains connecting Que Xuan's manacles and fetters to the wall were unlocked, as one guard carefully watched the girl with his scimitar, obviously ready to execute her if she as much as twitched the wrong way. After she was able to move, the guard who had replied earlier roughly grabbed her right upper arm and dragged her behind himself, while the other guard followed the two with his weapon ready to strike.

"Anyone else who wants to go on a potty break needs to wait until our little lady here is done. Now...tell me, Jim...what are the punishments for wasting prison personnels time? Hm?"

The crazy old man was shivering openly, his spindly hands clenching and unclenching reflexively as he stared at the officer.
Why did it have to be Brother Barnabus? He's always the most unreasonable of the officers...
"I..I...I'm NOT WASTING TIME! *That girl* was trying to seduce Jack and turn him to Devil worship!"
"Little miss potty break? Seduce a big guy like Jack? A likely story...and since when, exactly, do you speak Giant?"
Jim was nearly epileptic by now, as he frantically gestured, pointing at various prisoners in the cell block and stammering some incomprehensible words...
"It looks like you're just crazy, old man. Perhaps a small chat will help you gather your wits. I'd interrogate you myself, but fortunately, one of *her*" -he nodded towards Mother Gisane- "sisters has stopped by for a visit. I'm sure she can spare some time for you..."

The ankh-bearing man turned slowly around, looking at each prisoner with a piercing glare for an unusual amount of time. This was too much for old Jim, who collapsed against the wall, apparently completely flabbergasted that he wasn't taken seriously as informant anymore.

Branderscar prison

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
A'
B'
C'
D'
E'
F'

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

st

st

@

:

ld

ld

st

br

:
@

ld

br

ld

st

#

#

:

:

#

#
br

:

:

ld
#

#

:

:

#

#
ld

+
:
+
#

#

:

#

#
st

:

Pg
BrB

#

#

+

#

#
+
+

#

#
#
ld

:

:

:

#

#
#

:

:

:

br
#

#
#
@

:

:

+

#

#
#

:

:

:

ld
#

#
#
br

:

Gr(1)

:

:

#

#

st

st

Sn

:

Gr(2)

:

Pg

:

ld

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

+

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

#

#
<
<

#

#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

Two prison guards unchain Que Xuan partially - she is still restrained by manacles and fetters, but no longer chained to the wall. They escort her out of the room.

Brother Tang recognizes what the officer is doing - he is using his powers as inquisitor to detect the alignment of the prisoners.

dancrilis
2015-04-02, 11:11 AM
Que Xuan

She was content with the arrangement - now all she had to do was take advantage of it. Of course with two armed and trained minders she was more likely to die that win, and even if she did there would be the others back inside and escape from the building would be problematic. There was also her word to work with the others and while she frequently lied, cheated, stole her given word was good.

As they stepped down the hall she stumbled slightly and grasped her stomach, wincing in pain "no ya don't" she muttered load enough to hear, than smirked "sorry lad, sickness oh the morning can strike as it will - but don't worry your job oh killing me will send the soul of any unborn inside to hell wit me" she grinned "good for trading maybe. Sarenrae's mercy upon it ya!" she barked out a laugh.

Truth was that no individual statement was false but there was no unborn within her - baring some terrible miracle, but people often hesitated to kill pregnant woman regardless of the woman herself, and if her plan failed her it may delay execution for a bit to allow testing.

Reaching the toilet she scowled at the pair "be fine myself here now, don't want you lot gawking at me privates" fixing them with a look "from the looks of ye ya both likely get enough of that from your own blood kin", her voice taking on a tone of explanation as if they were two stupid to understand "inbred I calls ye".

Once she had some privacy she began to tinker with the fetter locks using any of the equipment near the toilet, cleaning handle, an edge or whatever - acting the country fool was not an act she liked but with luck it would serve to make they consider her merely a loudmouth, and daft also.

She offered no bribes or claims of innocence or threats, or a hundred other things they were likely used to - and hopefully had played it as foolishness on her part. With more luck one would leave to tell his boss about the possible pregnancy giving her time to deal with his friend.

To drum out the sound she began to sing a expectant mothers song, but slightly off key so as to be more annoying than pleasant - is it drove one to report all the better.

Take 20 on Disable Device for fetters for a score of: 22 (26-2(lack of tools)-2(entangled -4 dex so -2 modifier)).
Stealth (to remain quite as she works):
Preform (Sing - to be annoying, and block/explain sound if needed): [roll]1d20+3]

Tantether
2015-04-06, 10:04 AM
Gisane laughed sweetly. “There’s no need to trouble my good sister with that old man. Tell me – who is it that has arrived? Is it Sister Keeley? She has a good way with tongs, she does, but Sister Angela is more effective, I think, with her love of targeting the eyes. I taught them both myself.” She looked pointedly at the snitch, and then at the ankh-bearing officer. “You’d sooner get blood from a stone than truth from that man. But you sure would get plenty of blood. Perhaps if I were sent in his place, if I could have a word with my sister, you would find more helpful co-operation…”

Threatening the snitch and convincing the guard.
Diplomacy [roll0]
Intimidate [roll1]

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-04-06, 01:50 PM
Que Xuan is led through the cell block's door. Once she has left the cell block, she sees three more prison guards - without any officer in their immediate vicinity, they seem much more relaxed. As they see her - a dangerous prisoner - pass by, they dutifully rise to attention. She is blindfolded, lead down some stairs, spun around a few times, led through doors, then led in a big circle twice, through another door and up a series of winding stairs before the blindfold is removed and she finds herself in a small guard tower with a privy; a thick black curtain provides some privacy. Her affected stumbling and feigned pregnancy does have its intended effect - she hears a brief exchange among the guards, before one of them leaves to report to his superior officer while the other remains behind to guard the prisoner who is supposedly relieving herself.
Her song serves as distraction while she searches for some suitable tool...

Mother Gisane's brash confidence pays off: The officer interrupts his one-sided game of *who blinks first* with a catatonic prisoner and reacts to her suggestion. "It's amazing how truth wards can be twisted by people such as you. I'm not sure about that; but volunteers for questioning are surprisingly rare nowadays. Sister Irene hasn't been long in the order of St. Cynthia-Celeste, I'm afraid - but I'm told she's quite a prodigy. Perhaps she can convince you of some humility before you meet your fate on the pyre."

Brother Barnabus begins to pace back and forth, hands clasped behind his back as he worked himself into a rant.
"Prisoners in Branderscar always think they are *special*. The worst of the worst, they hear, the prison where noone has ever escaped – the only place in all of Talingarde where Sarenrae's mercy ends – May her light never touch your black hearts, you scum..."
He stops, draws his scimitar and points it at a random prisoner - who happens to be Isiah.
"The truth is – and by these holy halls, I tell you the truth! – you're *nothing* special. You're merely some ordinary criminals stupid enough to get caught, who had the misfortune to meet a judge or inquisitor on a bad day. But for people like you, it doesn't matter – sooner or later, here or in the hereafter...you will all burn."

His speech complete, he nodded at the two remaining guards to escort Mother Gisane to the interrogation room.
"I will personally keep watch here and see that Jack doesn't suffer too much from lovesickness. Leave, men - you have your orders."
The prison guards obey immediately - they unlock the prison cell, the chains binding the heretic nun to the walls, and escort her at sword-point outside the cell block. Unlike Que Xuan, they seem to treat her with a measure of respect - and fear.
After they leave the room, they close the door of the cell block. Before Mother Gisane is blindfolded and led into a nearby room, she spots three more prison guards. The guards briefly talk among themselves, and two of the other guards go downstairs."Brother Barnabus has requested more tea for Jack. Better get a whole barrel up here...I don't want to take any risks after he broke the manacles last time."

"Alright. Let's hope our little bush has enough leaves left..."--------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, Que Xuan has managed, with the help of a brush, some patience and incredible skill – as well as several iterations of badly-mangled nursery rhymes and other little songs – to remove the fetters binding her feet together. She could use them as improvised weapon of some sort...or she could attempt to use the curtain to blind the guard outside, attempt to strangle him and drop his body through the privy on the rocks 40' below. Choices, choices...

"I had hoped to meet you here, Reverend Mother. We need to talk."
Mother Gisane was in chains, blindfolded, and being interrogated by someone she had never met. Still, it seemed as if fortune smiled upon her today.

Branderscar prisonhttp://utrpg.memethief.com/images/6/6f/Prison2.JPG (http://utrpg.memethief.com/images/6/6f/Prison2.JPG)

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H

#
#
#
#

#
#

#
#

#
#
<

#
#

#

#

#

Pg

#

#
#

#

#
#
#

#
#

#

@
#
#

#
#
#
#

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
A'
B'
C'
D'
E'
F'

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

st

st

@

:

ld

ld

st

br

:

ld

br

ld

st

#

#

:

:

#

#
br

:

:

ld
#

#

:

:

#

#
ld

+
:
+
#

#

:

#

#
st

:

BrB

#

#

+

#

#
+
+

#

#
#
ld

:

:

:

#

#
#

:

:

:

br
#

#
#
@

:

:

+

#

#
#

:

:

:

ld
#

#
#
br

:

Gr(1)

:

:

#

#

st

st

Sn

:

Gr(2)

:

:

ld

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

+

=
=

#

#
<
<

#
@
=
=
SI
#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

#

#
<
<

#

#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

Two prison guards unchain Mother Gisane partially - she is still restrained by manacles and fetters, but no longer chained to the wall. They escort her out of the room. She is lead into a nearby room - the door is locked behind her, leaving her alone with Sister Irene.

Brother Barnabus is now alone in the cell block with the remaining prisoners. He seems content to remain quiet and watch everyone like a hawk.

weary atlas
2015-04-07, 02:41 AM
Isiah glances up from his feigned misery and stares at the guard with intense gaze.

That's an awful lot of talk for someone who doesn't do any actual killing. Come now. Do you really think we all deserve to be put to death? You just said that it yourself- we ended up with a judge with an off mood, or our stars were in a bad way. In another life maybe I'd be let off with just a whipping. What's got you so riled up, anyway?

[roll0]
Let's see if we can't soften that stony exterior...

dancrilis
2015-04-07, 04:40 AM
Que Xuan

She had options now but still not great ones - the security was tight and while they had travelled far enough that she could expect no alarm in the immediate getting back to the cell for the others could be problematic, but escaping herself would likely invalidate why she was instructed to surrender, assuming she was not breaching that instruction by escaping.

"Ack" she moved noisily as she placed her arms through the curtain, "can't right myself, undo these yokes, can't run with the feet ones on anyway and don't want to be smelling nor flashing me goods" if she could get them off she would be in a much better shape, if not she would have to deal with him with them on.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Segrain
2015-04-07, 07:59 AM
When Barnabus was examining each of the prisoners, Tang met his eyes with unmoving gaze. The look was too familiar to him; there was the same light in the officer's eyes that the chained monk had seen so often in his own reflection's. But was it truly some inspired light - or just sparks from the pyres yet to be lit aflame? Once he knew the answer to that question. Once he was certain about the path that he should follow. So far, that path brought him into a prison... and to a jailor who was certain in his own convictions. Perhaps those sparks just needed a guiding push in right direction. But, of course, first they had to stay alone with each other - or, at least, without any guards between them.

Other prisoners did not matter. Ogre did not even respond, his old companion was in no condition to continue talking, and even though somebody else tried to answer Barnabus's words, he missed the most important part of them. No, those who know the true path cannot rely on anybody else to show it; preaching is everyone's own sacred duty. And so, Tang once again raised his voice. "'We will all burn'...", - for a learned theologian, pronouncing a quote, whether from a sacred text or from the opponent's own argument, was a practised skill, but in enchanted halls of truth he still hurried to complete the sentence into technically correct statement, - "...you said. How dare... no, how can you say such words? Who gave you the power to speak against decisions of lawful judges and declare fate of prisoners who are not yours to sentence? And yet you go further and say for all to hear that all of us - all of forsaken to be denied any mercy - are not brought hither by any legal judgement, but by a mere misfortune of bad day? Will not your own soldiers seize you, after they heard that you spoke so against laws of Talingarde to two dozens of witnesses? You might end on this very chain, brother. After all, you are in prison already, and any mercy ends here. If all that it took to bring me hither was a bad day... tell me, what did it take for you?"

Barnabus was addressing a prisoner in another cell, but Tang still watched him with great attention. And even unarmed and chained, he was ready to meet his gaze as an equal.
Switching Studied Target to Barnabus.

Tantether
2015-04-08, 03:00 AM
Gisane turned her head, in apparent confusion, to a spot slightly left of where the Sister’s voice was coming from. “Dear Sister – Irene, is it not?” How foolish of them to have given her the name. “I feel so much the same. You may find it – ah –” She turned her head again, looking bewilderedly at another direction, still not directly at Irene. “–helpful to see the eyes, my dear. I always found them the very windows of the soul. How can you reach me truly, or I you, if we talk to each other through a wall of darkness?”

Perception to keep track of the direction they led her while blindfolded: [roll0]
Survival for the same, if it applies: [roll1]

weary atlas
2015-04-08, 04:36 AM
Isiah Mistwalker

The young man's eyes took on a feral, bitter tint as he continued gazing at the zealot.

"You should know better than to throw a man in chains, friend. Telling him he's due to be burned alive."

Isiah scoffs at what seems to be a grand joke.

"I'd do anything to get my freedom back, you know. Things that would make you wake up, covered in a cold sweat, in the dead of night. I'd burn a hundred churches if it meant I would walk free. I'd bind the souls of your vaunted paladins and offer them up like desserts on a silver platter."

He punctuates each of these sentences by slamming his wrists against the reach of the manacles. If I could just get free....

The clanging rattles throughout the still cell block like the chains of a damned ghost.

"I swear on my life and soul I'll do everything I can to bring your damned church to the ground. I swear to the Darkest God Below that your people will suffer and history won't remember your god's name."

He paused again, then sneered at the guard with a cruel grin.

"Let me out of these chains now, and I'll make you a deal. I won't kill you when I leave. Promise."

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-04-09, 09:58 AM
"... tell me, what did it take for you?"

Brother Barnabus lowered his blade and raised his left hand to cover his face. His body was shaking slightly, and as he removed his hand again, a distorted grin and a feverish gaze turned his countenance into a frightful grimace. "Do you know why Branderscar is located on an island, a few miles from the main coast of Talingarde? It isn't because of such petty reasons as security...it isn't because sharks prey on whatever lucky fool attempts to swim to freedom...

It's because Talingarde, all of it, is holy ground - a place sacred to Sarenrae. The late king Makardian IV. had the entire kingdom consecrated and used every means available to him to lure pilgrims this way - he wanted to purge every reminder of Asmodean worship from his land. But every king needs a place where the dirty business is done - for the prosperity and peace of the people, of course.
He cannot deny divine mercy to the truly repentant, and no outward mark - the brand of the forsaken or a mark of justice - can prevent an evildoer from realizing his own wrongdoing.

So he created Branderscar - a place just outside the holy land, a place unaffected by his solemn vows dedicating his kingdom to the Dawnflower...a place where even repentance cannot save you.
You see, everyone in Branderscar has been *sentenced* here - the unlucky ones to die, the luckier ones...to live, and to serve.

What did it take for me? Why, mere robbery, of course. Unfortunately, my target was a friend's friend of Thomas Havelyn, Warden of the Northern Wall and a close friend of the King. Since I had already applied for atonement and my repentance had been witnessed by ecclesial scribes, I couldn't be put behind Branderscar's bars...but I *could* be sent here to serve as watchdog until the end of my days.

You see, I have nothing to fear even if all of you testify against me. We're all condemned criminals - it's just that your sentence is much shorter."
--------------------------------------------------

"Ack...undo these yokes!"
"I cannot do that! Prison regulations require that prisoners are to be restrained at all times! ...and guarded by at least two persons..." The lone guard forcefully replies. Luckily, nothing else seems to result from Que Xuan's social blunder...
"I'm afraid the blindfold is necessary, Reverend Mother. I've already risked much by coming here - I cannot flaunt any more regulations, lest undue suspicion be drawn to this visit." Sister Irene seemed to choose her words with care. Judging from her voice, she was rather young - still in her simple vows, and without the years of experience other sisters had before they were sent on similar missions. Yet the officer had called her a prodigy - was it something not immediately apparent, or did she use the impression of innocence and naivety to draw out a confession? Yet her next words betrayed a burning need to know...
"Truthfully, I've come here to ask you to teach me. Many sisters from our order believe you've been wrongly sentenced here, and they believe your methods are too effective to be lost. All of your former students are under close scrutiny and have been forbidden to assist in the inquisition; but after meeting some of your penintents, many novices and younger sisters have rallied to your support. I am here on their behalf...
Please, teach me more about the Dawnflowers radiant mercy. Teach me how to touch the blackest hearts and guide them to the light. Teach me, and we will do our best to have your name cleared and you remembered as a saint in a few decades time."

"I'd do anything to get my freedom back, you know. Things that would make you wake up, covered in a cold sweat, in the dead of night. I'd burn a hundred churches if it meant I would walk free. I'd bind the souls of your vaunted paladins and offer them up like desserts on a silver platter."
"I swear on my life and soul I'll do everything I can to bring your damned church to the ground. I swear to the Darkest God Below that your people will suffer and history won't remember your god's name.""Your oath has been heard and acknowledged. Go forth, and fulfil it to the letter!" As Isiah speaks his terrible oath and signs his soul to the darkness, the torches illuminating the cellblock flicker, and a rasping voice replies in the tongue of the damned.
Brother Barnabus grips his holy symbol and whirls around, his eyes flaring to dangerous life again as he tries to detect the unseen malice that has infiltrated Branderscar...yet his posture betrays his fear. He may be cynical, but he hasn't dealt with devils yet...

Branderscar prisonhttp://utrpg.memethief.com/images/6/6f/Prison2.JPG (http://utrpg.memethief.com/images/6/6f/Prison2.JPG)

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H

#
#
#
#

#
#

#
#

#
#
<

#
#

#

#

#

Pg

#

#
#

#

#
#
#

#
#

#

@
#
#

#
#
#
#

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
A'
B'
C'
D'
E'
F'

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

st

st

@

:

ld

ld

st

br

:

ld

br

ld

st

#

#

:

:

#

#
br

:

:

ld
#

#

:

:

#

#
ld

+
:
+
#

#

:

#

#
st

:

BrB

#

#

+

#

#
+
+

#

#
#
ld

:

:

:

#

#
#

:

:

:

br
#

#
#
@

:

:

+

#

#
#

:

:

:

ld
#

#
#
br

:

Gr(1)

:

:

#

#

st

st

Sn

:

Gr(2)

:

:

ld

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

+

=
=

#

#
<
<

#
@
=
=
SI
#

#
<
<

#

=
=

#

#
<
<

#

#

#
<
<

#

#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

Brother Barnabus is now flatfooted and looking to the east - his back is turned towards Isiah and Xing Tang.
Isiah notices an Imp in a shadowy corner on the ceiling(F 14, 10' elevation) who appears to use Ventriloquism or something similar to throw his voice.

dancrilis
2015-04-09, 10:39 AM
Que Xuan

With the refusal the ruse was dropped immediately - time was of the essence now, she could have tried to lift the keys but that would likely alert the man, or fail and show her to be done.

Stepping out she struck out at his sword arms elbow with a finger strike - both her hands moving together chained via the manacles, preparing to follow up with a kick to the shin - she would ideally be able to take him out with quickly and leave him alive to talk, and to allow deniability of her intent, accusing him of a assaulting her would allow her another chance to escape if it came to that.

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack Roll Called Shot Arm: [roll1]
Modifiers: BAB +0, Improved Called Shot +2, Called Shot Adjacent, -0, Called Shot Arm -2, Sneak Attack Bonus to Called Shots +2.
Nonlethal Damage: [roll2]
Nonlethal Sneak Attack Damage: [roll3]

If she surprised him and goes first after the initial round.
Attack Roll Called Shot Leg: [roll4]
Modifiers: BAB +0, Improved Called Shot +2, Called Shot Adjacent -0, Called Shot Leg -2, Sneak Attack Bonus to Called Shots +2.
Nonlethal Damage: [roll5]
Nonlethal Sneak Attack Damage: [roll6]

weary atlas
2015-04-09, 07:50 PM
Isiah

Isiah grits his teeth and rapidly mutters a spell. His chains rattle as his hands swing in wide arcs.

C'mon. Work this time, dammit...

1d20+5 VS DC: 16, Summon Monster I, Fiendish Viper.
Placing it as close as possible, but I can't quite make it land outside the cage from where I am.

If it goes off, the Viper will charge, smiting Evil on the cleric (if relevant)
[roll0] To hit. -2 if charging isn't allowed.
Damage = 1, +1 if the cleric is actually good. (Total 2)
Either way, Fort save vs Con Damage, DC 9.
[roll1] CON damage if the fort save fails.

Segrain
2015-04-10, 05:20 PM
Barnabus's revelations left Tang speechless for several moments. Even though he already understood that Talingarde is far from precious land of righteous people where even the worst sinner can repent and get redeemed or at least justly removed, the extent of this difference between claimed purity and harsh reality... now that he had it explained to him, it was obvious. It is only natural for every living body to periodically reject what it cannot consume, but it is one of the first signs of illness when it starts to purify through unusual or even unnatural means. Despite its pretentious name, Branderscar was not just an ugly scar on Talingarde's beautiful face or something equally poetic with vague implications of necessity and justification; it had more in common with a puddle of vomit, full of things inedible or outright poisonous. And, apparently, even the guards in the jail were as rotten to the core as their prisoners and ultimately suffered the same fate, even if there was no lawful sentence for them; but some sicknesses could make human body regurgitate even its own lifeblood. Be that metaphor extended further, it would mention how such reactions are usually symptomatic of stomach ailments, troubled ki flows and horrible dietary decisions, but meditating on those thoughts had to wait.

Tang only started mentally composing his reply to Barnabus, trying to find some words that could explain just how unjust and at the same time ineffective the entire system is, but their theological dispute was interrupted in the most impolite manner possible. Just screaming "I and my god can beat you and your god" was not the most persuasive argument ever used; it was not even relevant, since Sarenrae Dawnflower was actually not a god but a goddess. Or was it just a way to promise something as unlikely to happen as blasphemous without being stopped by truth enchantment? Either way, trying to argue further like befits learned people was almost impossible if they were going to be interrupted like that every time; especially since the next voice to speak was not even speaking the same language. Even understanding him was not a great relief; it was not going to be pleasant to be the one whom he addressed. Even though this place was not pleasant to anyone at all who had the misfortune to be sent to it one way or another.

"I might have the shorter sentence of us two, but that does not yet sound like my executioner", - idly remarked Tang, still in the same calm tone. - "What do you think, brother, - can it be yours? Or you are still certain that you have nothing to fear here?"

Tantether
2015-04-10, 05:22 PM
There was a small part of Gisane that was tempted by such an offer, an egoism which revelled in the possibility of posthumous sainthood. But there was a much larger part that disagreed, violently, with the idea of posthumous anything – she wanted to live. She wanted to live.

It was that little piece of vanity that the Mother seized on, however, as cover. “No matter, child,” she said to Irene, carefully thinking through the subtle tenor of the young Sister’s voice, “I see the dawn’s true light, no matter what binds my eyes. And I see a light in you – a willingness to know mercy which so many in these walls have forgotten. Guard and prisoner alike.” She slid down to the floor, her manacles and fetters clanking as she did so, and raised herself up on her knees into a prayer position. “I will not lie to you – indeed, I cannot. It is a difficult path you seek to walk, one which requires an unwavering faith and a hardened heart. It is easy to kill, to judge, to condemn, to execute; it is hard to punish. It is hard to correct. It is hard to lower yourself into the darkness, to rescue those lost within.”

Still kneeling, she lowered her head until it touched the floor in prostration. “Will you prove that your mercy is not just for show, not just convenient? Will you come close and pray, even with this condemned prisoner? Not on the marble floor of the temple, but even here, on the filthy concrete of Branderscar?”

Sense Motive to see if Irene is true to her word.
[roll0]
Diplomacy to convince her to come closer and go on her knees. I feel like the argument's pretty reasonable, though. Gisane is teaching Irene exactly what she does want to learn: mercy and redemption to the most wicked. Unfortunate if those things coincide with being incautious.
[roll1]

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-04-12, 03:05 PM
Talingarde was a proud kingdom that enjoyed an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity under the wise and just rule of King Markadian V., called *the Brave*. Little did the upright citizens of Talingarde know that in these hours, their future would take a darker turn...the years of abundance were at their end, and their doom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob#Seven_year_famine) was slowly unfolding its first tendrils through the fabric of fate.

This doom was manyfold, but its principal agents were just now starting to remove their chains and take the first decisive steps towards freedom...
-------------------------------------------------
The first signs of doom manifested themselves as a young girl struck swiftly at her only guard: Her initial, clumsy attack caused him to turn around - she seized the moment and used a precise kick to his right knee to break his leg; overcome with pain and surprise, he was quickly silenced thereafter. The other guard who was supposed to be here was fruitlessly looking for his superior officer...and noone was close enough to hear anything of the short and brutal conflict.
The doom grew more intense and started to gain definition as an elderly nun, having long abandoned her former faith after being branded a heretic, started to lead another innocent soul astray...the two sisters of St. Cynthia-Celeste prayed together, repeating timeworn poems with practiced ease despite having never met each other before. One voice spoke with eager, but untested faith...the other whispered poisonous, twisted truths that sought to mislead and disorder honest zeal until it had become nothing but blind fanaticism, easily guided into whatever direction necessary.
The scale weighing the fate of Talingarde had been forcefully moved by many clerics, oracles and theurges (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/theurge) to impart countless blessings and the favor of Sarenrae to its people - but they did not anticipate the natural desire of the cosmos for BALANCE.The warnings of more cautious advisors were ignored, the ambassador of Xa Hoi (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Xa_Hoi) exiled after he pleaded for the existence of a single, sanctioned temple of Asmodeus to safeguard Talingarde's future.
Now, the pendulum of fate was moving again after its long and unnatural rest...slowly gaining momentum as it accelerated with the unappealable force of destiny denied.

"I might have the shorter sentence of us two, but that does not yet sound like my executioner"
"What do you think, brother, - can it be yours? Or you are still certain that you have nothing to fear here?"Whatever answer came to Brother Barnabus' mind upon being so questioned, he would never be able to give his reply. For a fiendish snake was called forth, with effort, by a desperate man with nothing to lose who had recently sworn his very soul to the darkness in a bid for freedom. The viper surged forth with infernal speed and struck, its poison acting far more virulent than normal. The inquisitor's blade fell to the ground with a metallic clatter, and bloody froth stifled whatever words he tried to speak. With obvious delight, the Imp who had witnessed Isiah's oath surged forward, and brandished a small, finely cut gem in front of the dying man...to capture his soul and gain more infernal currency to advance its own, petty agenda amidst the myriads of plots that were being hatched, executed, disrupted and abandoned by the denizens of the nine hells.

The iron bars that were in the way of the tiny devil were gone: only a few red-hot stumps reminded of their previous existence, while the smell of sulfur announced the unmistakable interest Asmodeus – or one of his servants – was taking in this situation.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H

#
#
#
#

#
#

#
#

#
#
<

#
#

#

#

#

Pg

@

#

#
#

#

#
#
#

#
#

#

#
#

#
#
#
#

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
A'
B'
C'
D'
E'
F'

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

st

st

@

:

ld

ld

st

br

:

ld

br

ld

st

#

#

:

:

#

#
br

:

:

ld
#

#

:

:

#

#
ld

+
:
+
#

#

:

Imp

#

#
st

:

fV
BrB

#

#

+

#

#
+
+

#

#
#
ld

:

:

:

#

#
#

:

:

:

br
#

#
#
@

:

:

+

#

#
#

:

:

:

ld
#

#
#
br

:

Gr(1)

:

:

#

#

st

st

Sn

:

Gr(2)

:

:

ld

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

+

=
=

#

#
<
<

#
@
=
=

#

#
<
<

#
SI
=
=

#

#
<
<

#

#

#
<
<

#

#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

Brother Barnabus is dying. The iron bars at J 10 are destroyed. The prison guard watching over Que Xuan is dead. Sister Irene is naively praying in the immediate vicinity of Mother Gisane; she is effectively fascinated as long as she's praying.
----------------
The other prisoners, including Jack the Ogre and Jim the old man are currently surprised by the recent events. It is possible that they may cause a disturbance in the immediate future...unless they are somehow cowed into acting appropriately.

weary atlas
2015-04-13, 02:45 AM
Isiah

Isiah's smirk grows even wider at this newest turn of events. Most fortunate, indeed...

How many stories are there about men selling their souls for a pittance? For a few pieces of gold, or a chance at love. Looks like they may not have been as far-fetched as they seem. I suppose that means I'll have to get awfully good at burning down buildings. Wonder how many pints of oil it would take to set temple ablaze...

That greedy imp may be a problem, though. God only knows how many guards are crawling through this place.

"You're forgetting something, hellspawn. I'll need to be free to make good on that oath. Help me out of these bindings, and I'll make sure to chain a few souls for you as well."

His tone is friendly, but there's just a hint of menace behind his words.

[roll0] Convincing him to release me as soon as possible.

His eyes lock onto the wizened old man, and his manner seems to shift into a more friendly candor.

"Hey there, friend. I'll be leaving shortly, and it would be great if there wasn't any more fuss...savvy? Keep your cool and I'll make sure we all have an even chance to walk free.

[roll1] Hopefully keeping him and everyone else quiet.
Fingers crossed

dancrilis
2015-04-13, 01:30 PM
Que Xuan

She looked at the corpse and let out a sigh - she had intended to leave him alive but that was not an option now. Reaching down she took the keys tried a few until the manacle one was located and unlocked herself and stretched, before undergoing the arduous process of dragging him into the toilet area, and stripping off his uniform to allow her a disguise and checking it for a name tag in case she had to give a name - and dumped her own rags in the hole.

She had no time for the finer polish but even a uniform and the correct mental attitude and actions should allow her to move around the building - and hopefully get back to the cell, she had formed an agreement and intended to honour it.

Prior to leaving she dumped the body and chains over the side - with luck if anyone came around to check it would be assumed that the guard had taken her somewhere.

Heading out she made sure that her weaponry was that her keys were attached - she began to move through the building, listening carefully and moving slowly while trying to recall her initial trip to the cell and her more recent trip away she expected sentries but unless they engaged she would be hopeful that it would not be an issue.

Knowledge Local: [roll0]
To recall how buildings in the area are likely laid out, how guards would act in terms of saluting etc.
Think that memory might be a basic Int check but not sure.

Disguise: [roll1]
Not really using the full rules as it normally takes 1d3 ([roll2]) * 10 minutes, but note sure that is when just changing your clothes and stop speaking in the same manner is the only change.

Tantether
2015-04-15, 12:37 PM
Praying next to her Sister, Mother Gisane began to weep. It was no bluff; no trick; no false tears. In different circumstances she would guide this young woman to the truth, show her the light of order and redemption, the reforming power of pain and fear. In a different place, in a different time, they could have been as mother and daughter to the world.

But not in Branderscar.

“Bless you, Sister Irene. Bless you, for you have shown me mercy, in bringing me hope of my work’s survival.” Gisane made a quiet decision. “And for my survival, too.” Her hands, clasped together in prayer, suddenly separated, and swung the chain manacled between them in an arc in front of her, hopefully over Irene’s head. Her deceptively strong hands pulled to their opposite sides, trying to strangle the Sister’s neck in a loop of chain between them.

I'm not really sure how this plays out mechanically, but I'll roll attack. The reason Gisane doesn't just try to clobber her is because of the 50% concealment from blindness - which is hopefully mitigated here by the fact a length of chain catches everything in a sweep between two anchored points.

Attack [roll0]