PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Unifying Theory of Ice and Fire

McStabbington
2015-03-28, 06:17 PM
In honor of Game of Thrones Season 5 coming out in April, fans have been posting their favorite fan theories about the series. And I managed to stumble across one that is truly mind-blowing. Not only is the theory very well thought-out and fits everything we know about both GRRM as an author and ASOIAF as a story, but the implications boggle the mind, to the point that it completely re-writes everything we've seen in the series. It has larger implications than R + L = J, is larger in scope than the Southern Ambitions Theory, although brilliantly it is perfectly consonant with that theory, and it is better thought out than the Hidden Targaryan theory of Tyrion's origins.

Below, I will include two spoilers. The first spoiler will include a link to the original post detailing this theory (Note: as much as I wish I had thought of this, it isn't mine) as well as my own shorthand synopsis of the theory. The second spoiler will include my own speculation about how to answer one of the questions that the original poster left out that people did bring up: how the Children of the Forest fit into this theory. The speculation is mine, and if someone else has come up with this addendum, I can only plead parallel development. I have spoilered this for a very simple reason: the implications of this theory are staggering, to the point that if this isn't how the story goes, I think I'll be fairly disappointed. So if you don't want to be ggobsmacked, to say nothing of spoilered, don't read on, because from this point on, there be dragons.

Original link: The True Nature and Purpose of the Others (http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/)

Synopsis: We have been under the impression from the very beginning that the Game of Thrones was being played against the backdrop of a standard BBEG in the form of the Ancient Evil of The Others returning from their long slumber. But why have we thought that? In large part, it has because we are supposed to think that. A fantasy series isn't a fantasy series without a Big Bad that must be scheming to conquer the world.

But how much evidence do we really have for that? GRRM has gone out of his way to criticize this very idea, and his work to this point has emphasized the humanity even of utter monsters like Joffrey Baratheon. So let's reassess the others based on what we know.

We know that they are associated with the cold and snow. Whether they cause the cold or come when it gets cold, they clearly live in the far north, they have thus far never been seen in direct sunlight, and even those things that are metaphorically associated with heat and fire, like obsidian, have been shown to be lethal against them. We know that they have not been seen for many thousands of years by anyone South of the Wall, and are now considered mythical. We know that they can create weapons and armor out of ice, much as men do the same from metal. We know that they can turn dead humans and animals into reanimated wights, and that under certain circumstances, details and limits unknown, they can turn a human into an Other. We also know that they are hostile to at least some factions of humans, although other factions of humans like Craster are somehow able to keep the peace. And last, we know that for some reason, they returned to the far north, and after the War a huge Wall was constructed in the hope that in the future, they would never again return to trouble humanity.

Beyond that, little is known for certain about the Others. It is said that once long ago, they waged a war against humanity that is described as an extinction-level event, until somehow they were repulsed by a character from the Dawn Ages known as the Last Hero. It is assumed by many of the characters of the series, as well as many of the readers, that the Last Hero is one and the same as two other mythical characters, namely the Prince Who Was Promised and Azor Ahai, one of whom was prophesized to emerge from the Targaryan line and do something unspecified, and one who in ancient times was reputed to have driven back an ancient evil with a flaming sword, and who would return once again to repulse the darkness once more. Most of the information regarding the Last Hero comes from a story told in Book I from Old Nan, while most of the information regarding Azor Ahai comes from Melisandre.

But what evidence do we actually have that Azor Ahai, the Prince who was Promised and the Last Hero are actually connected? A careful reading of the texts shows that the story of The Last Hero and the story of Azor Ahai are very different. The story of the Last Hero spends no time discussing weaponry, only that the Last Hero set off to find the Children of the Forest with companions who one by one were lost, until finally only the Hero himself remained being pursued by the Others, his sword broken and fleeing before them. Azor Ahai, by contrast, spent no time with friends or seeking out any helpers, but spent approximately half a year forging a burning sword that could defeat this enemy, which may or may not be a metaphor for controlling dragons or shaping Valyrian steel. These are very different stories. What is more, the Last Hero was supposed to live in the Dawn Age of man approximately 8000 years ago, while the story of Azor Ahai comes from a prophecy from Asshai approximately 5000 years ago. Only Melisandre's word, as well as vague mentions in the works at the Wall mentioned by Samwell Tarly in Book V of the Last Hero killing Others with a blade made of "dragonsteel" from works that he says in the same passage are garbled and confused in their dates match.

What if the Last Hero didn't defeat the Others as Azor Ahai did with his foe? What if he negotiated a peace with them?

As I said, the implications are mind-boggling. And yet, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

For one, as the OP points out, this completely fits with the tenor of ASOIAF. GRRM has criticized the idea of the always chaotic-evil race of minious mooks heavily, and yet this is exactly how the characters in the books, particularly the main source of lore on Azor Ahai, have treated the Others. But if this is how the story of The Last Hero actually went, then the Others are not orcs. They are just another faction fighting for their survival, and very likely responding to violations of a long-forgotten treaty by the humans. I mean, just rethink what Waymar Royce did in the very first chapter of the very first book: he chased a "raiding party" of wildlings north for ten days into the North, pursuing them after they had been left clearly dead by the Others, and when he met them, he brandished steel and challenged an Other to a fight while serving as a uniformed officer of the Night's Watch. In what universe is that not an act of war?

What is more, it fits perfectly with what GRRM himself has said about his development of the Others. When discussing what inspired them, he didn't talk about demons or orcs. He talked about the sidhe. As in, the Irish legend of the Fair Folk. This theory that the Last Hero negotiated a peace which the humans have since broken would match up perfectly with a war between humans and Fair Folk. For one, the hatred the Others have for fire and iron matches. That they are long-lived matches perfectly. That they sometimes disappear humans and change them into Fair Folk matches perfectly. That they would not come South not because the Wall stops them but because they gave their word matches perfectly. That they would be outraged by humans breaking their word matches perfectly.

But by far the biggest implications are two-fold. One, it puts an entirely new spin on many events in the mythos of Westeros. The Night King, for instance, was supposedly the 13th Commander of the Night's Watch who took an Other to bride and could only be defeated by the combined help of the King Beyond the Wall Joramun and the King in the North. But what if he did what he did not because he was evil, but because that was part of the treaty. Marriages are an accepted way of solidifying political agreements in Westeros, and the Night King was by Nan's own account a Stark. Similarly, phrases like "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" or "Winter is Coming" change their meaning entirely if you consider the possibility that the Starks might well have the Blood of the Others running in their veins as part of an ancient treaty, and this fact has been forgotten because the humans have effectively spent the last 8000 years repeating what was effectively a Lost Cause myth to themselves.

The other major implication is that if this is true, then Azor Ahai is not the hero bravely facing the demonic hordes. Azor Ahai is the villain who for all the right reasons and because humans assume Other = Evil, is going to walk the humans into a war that did not have to be fought against an enemy that can bring about the extinction of humanity on the entire continent. If it is correct that if Dany especially is Azor Ahai, then she is effectively going to start the medieval equivalent of a nuclear war against the Westerosi Unseelie Court. If that doesn't strike you as a pant-soiling prospect, I'm not sure what could.

As I said, mind = blown.

So what do you think, Playgrounders? I call upon your ASOIAF-fu to say whether it's a good theory, bad theory, one that has holes, and whether or not they can be plugged.

I will add my own addendum to the theory here, about what happened in the Dawn Age that might have resulted in this Pact. Specifically, I will think of the Children.

In the official timeline of Westerosi history, the Dawn Age is a roughly four-thousand year period where the First Men crossed the Arm of Dorne and gradually moved north. In the timeline, the First Men waged war on the Children of the Forest for roughly two thousand years before establishing the Pact on the Isle of faces, followed by two thousand years of unrecorded history before the Long Night that brought the Others.

My proposal, quite simply, is that the Pact that ended the war with the Children and the negotiation that ended the Long Night are one and the same. The Others, whatever they may be, are the last weapon employed by the Children after having been driven to the brink of extinction.

For one thing, this explanation answers a great many puzzling things about the Dawn Age and the War between the Children and the First Men. For example, it was never entirely clear why the Pact was ever forged. We know that the First Men kept pressing north despite amazing displays of force by the Children. According to legend, the Children nearly cracked the continent twice, once by destroying the Arm of Dorne and once by bringing the Hammer of the Waters down on the Neck of the Riverlands. Yet this did not seem to stop the advance of the First Men. If breaking a continent twice does not end the war, what might? The legends themselves do not say, only that the Pact was forged and many thousands of years of fuzzy love achieved between the First Men and the Children where before they had been trying to exterminate each other.

What is more, the First Men settled on terms that do not sound anything like the terms of a conquering army. What gods the First Men worshipped when they crossed the Arm are not recorded, because after the War, the First Men as one abandoned their own religion and adopted the worship of the same Old Gods of the Children. No longer did they burn out weirwoods, despite the fact that the weirwood trees are the source of the greenseers power, a power that the First Men picked up after the War from the Children. The Children were not moved to reservations or isolated settlements, but were instead given free access to forests primeval that to this day overwhelm most of the land north of the Neck.

My addendum is simply to say that the reason the Last Hero went to find the Children is not to call upon their aid to jointly fight the Others. The Last Hero went to negotiate the surrender of humanity. Put simply, my theory is that the humans had driven the Children to the brink of extinction. Breaking the Arm hadn't stopped the First Men. Bringing down the Hammer hadn't stopped the First Men. Instead, they kept pushing the Children further and further North into more and more inhospitable land. And in their last final act of desperation, the Seelie Children brought the Unseelie Others into the War. And the Others launched a war of extermination that would have resulted in the extinction of both the humans and the Children. But when the Pact was forged, the Others retreated back to the land of Always-Winter, the Children lingered on, and Men gradually rebuilt.

This theory explains the war in a way that fits the ASOIAF universe. It humanizes the Children instead of making them the kindly elves of Westeros. And it fits with the original theory: much as the humans turned the Others into nightmarish bogeymen, they turned the Children into magical power-granting pixies full of good vibes and homespun wisdom in their legends. And it fits with the idea that the longer-lived Children and Others have been watching the humans south of the Wall with growing alarm as even the Northerners have been steadily abandoning the rules that kept the peace for so long, and have decided to go to war before the humans cross the Wall and finish what the First Men almost accomplished all those thousands of years ago.

Lord Raziere
2015-03-28, 07:46 PM
huh.

that actually makes a lot of sense.

I was too confused by everything being so bloodily chaotic in the books to figure that out.

which puts Samwell Tarly's killing of an Other into a different light....what if he done screwed up by doing that?

warty goblin
2015-03-28, 08:08 PM
Doesn't really feel like a Martin sort of story to me, but I continue to firmly hold that ASoIaF is a somewhat cheerier and much longer exploration of the same romance of shattered idealism that he wrote back in the seventies and eighties. One of the most central themes of these stories is that the universe is vastly greater than any character's conception of it, and no matter what they believe, it will be crushed. The Others as retaliating for a broken treaty just doesn't fit; they're too other for negotiating. The Children of the Forest sure, even the giants, but the Others are, I think, well outside of such human concepts as negotiation

Landis963
2015-03-28, 10:56 PM
Are the decade-long winters, too, a clause of this treaty? It seems odd that the humans would agree to a system that risks their extinction, especially if they surrendered to avoid it. Likewise, it seems strange that the Others would design to grant the humans decade-long summers, especially given how vulnerable they are to anything remotely connected to fire. And before anyone says "negotiation" I would ask what, exactly, the humans would put on the table to get such a boon beyond "Pretty Please?"

McStabbington
2015-03-28, 11:31 PM
Are the decade-long winters, too, a clause of this treaty? It seems odd that the humans would agree to a system that risks their extinction, especially if they surrendered to avoid it. Likewise, it seems strange that the Others would design to grant the humans decade-long summers, especially given how vulnerable they are to anything remotely connected to fire. And before anyone says "negotiation" I would ask what, exactly, the humans would put on the table to get such a boon beyond "Pretty Please?"

That is a fair point, but it appears as if the "decades long" winters are the stuff of myth and legend to the Westerosi. A five or even seven-year winter appears to be rare, but survivable occurrence. The Long Night that brought the Others, however, was described by Old Nan as lasting a "generation", or about 15-20 years. That would not be survivable. That's quite literally an extinction-level event. So I would imagine that while the terms of the agreement are not entirely known, one would probably be "no more winters more than ten years long" or something to that effect.

Beyond that, I think it likely that one of the things the Last Hero would have to offer, beyond the continued survival of both species, is twofold. One, and admittedly I'm thinking a bit Old Testament here, is that submitting to the worship of the Old Gods of the forest gets them on the humans' side. If both the First Men and the Children go extinct, who will remember or worship them? Not to put too fine a point on it, but this seems to be a world where certain deities like R'hllor or the Old Gods really do provide tangible powers to their followers. What god wishes to be forgotten?

Second, wiping out the First Men doesn't solve the problem for even the Others permanently. Even if the First Men were completely erased from Westeros, there were still apparently plenty of people willing to emigrate from Essos. So it would be easy to imagine that in a hundred or five hundred or a thousand years, the Others would simply have to repeat the process with the newest arrivals. This is especially true if we assume the Others, like the sidhe, are a very long-lived species (which is supported by the Night King's appearance on the show). Better then to leave the First Men alive and let them defend the Southern portions of Westeros themselves.

It only became a problem when successive invasions weakened the customs the First Men adopted as part of the treaty to the point of irrelevance and complete failure to observe.

warty goblin
2015-03-29, 12:08 AM
So in the enormo World of Ice and Fire fake history book, it's very strongly hinted that the First Men were brought to the negotiating table by a cataclysmic natural disaster that broke the Arm of Dorne and turned the Neck into a swamp. None of which sounds at all like the Long Night. Plus any such 'treaty' would have been essentially trampled for thousands of years, when the Andals crossed and burned the weierwood trees south of the Neck. It also leaves unexplained what exactly Azor Ashai was saving the world from, if he's not the Last Hero and lived a couple of thousand years later; unless we're arguing for two Long Nights.

No, I figure the Others are more in keeping with life/death motif that shows up in a bunch of Martin's works; where fire usually stands for life, and ice for death, particularly Dying of the Light and a couple of his short stories in the same universe that mention a world with extremely long seasons. Fire is of course brutal, because life in Martin's stories tends strongly towards the brutal in one fashion or another, but it's also beautiful and erotic, whereas ice is simply inevitable death. It's also interesting to note the reappearance of the extremely violent and entirely honest man with half his face burned off, a character that also first appeared in Dying of the Light. So if you want my metatextual bet as to how the series ends, it closes on the entire world slowly slipping into an endless winter, and Jon Snow dueling Sandor Clegane because any notion of love or heroism he had has been destroyed, and it's the only thing left he can do that means anything. The last sentence will be 'It was very cold.'

stcfg
2015-03-29, 02:06 AM
According to the wiki (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Timeline_of_major_events) , the dawn age was 12000 years before Aegon , the isle of faces pact was 10000 years and the long night was 8000.

The theory could work but requires some timeline fudging.

If the children of the forest did make the others to protect themselves, they don't seem to getting along now. The only children alive seem to be allied with last greenseer and fought to defend Bran and co from wights.

Killer Angel
2015-03-29, 03:25 AM
That's certainly a very interesting theory. In the future, I would even like to see it somehow confirmed...

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-03-29, 09:34 AM
April 1st 1997 was my 10th birthday, at the time I had been playing D&D for almost 2 years, and had read the Lord of the rings trilogy 100 times. My mother bought me A game of thrones, and I read it at super speed. Then I slowed down and reread it.

It amazed me, I didn't understand what the "Promise me Ned" meant, but I new it was important. I alternated between wanting to be Aria Stark and Cerci Berathon. But mostly I wanted more... more Others more ice zombies more of the wall... I was in love with Jon Snow, and so wanted him to be the main character.

almost 2 year later I was forcing my new boyfriend to skip school with me to take me to the mall so I could get the sequel... "A clash of Kings"

When a Storm of Swords came out I had come out I was 13 and had a new favorite character, I still loved Jon, but I wanted Daenerys Stormborn...

but then the HUGE time frame between book 3 and 4 made me almost forget the series... I didn't even know a feast for crows came out in 2005, It was 2006 before I bought it... and no Jon or Daenerys made me sad...

With the TV show in 2011 got me back into the song of Fire and Ice, now I tell you all that to explain my mind has changed many times on who and what the others are. As it stands today having read and reread (and had to rebuy the 1st book because my original copy my mommy gave me years ago is falling apart) I can't believe the Others are just neutral or not evil.

I do believe all the prophecy is messed up though, and there is going to be another shoe dropping.

As far as the theory goes it's better then most but not as good as the best.

R + L = J I am like 50/50 on, and part of me hopes it is more N+A=J, and R+L=D but I doubt it...but that one is cooler. The Hidden Targaryan theories are always funny to read, I think everyone is a secret targ... or maybe everyone is a faceless man pretending to be them, but the where originally a secret targ... Jon is the best bet for this followed by melisandre (well a hidden blackfire at least)

the Southern Ambitions Theory is really people reading too much into things. It and Bolt on and X person is Y person in disguise are all examples of over active imaginations with too much time on there hands... if the boos didn't take 5-6 years each to write it would not be happening.

But I've been reading these books for 17 years, I grew up on the song. I do like the idea, but it just doesn't fell right. Why would the others attack in this theory, remember the very first prolog.

Legato Endless
2015-03-30, 04:29 PM
In honor of Game of Thrones Season 5 coming out in April, fans have been posting their favorite fan theories about the series. And I managed to stumble across one that is truly mind-blowing. Not only is the theory very well thought-out and fits everything we know about both GRRM as an author and ASOIAF as a story, but the implications boggle the mind, to the point that it completely re-writes everything we've seen in the series. It has larger implications than R + L = J, is larger in scope than the Southern Ambitions Theory, although brilliantly it is perfectly consonant with that theory, and it is better thought out than the Hidden Targaryan theory of Tyrion's origins.
[/spoiler]

That would not be difficult. Tyrion the targ only works if you wash away the whole thematic dynamic concerning his most foundational relationship.

I'm not going to bother spoiling anything, since if you've made this far into the thread, you've no reason to continue reading it if you didn't actually peruse the opening post.

Another poster has the right of it (as usual), but I'll supply some rather shallower niggling criticism.

We also know that they are hostile to at least some factions of humans, although other factions of humans like Craster are somehow able to keep the peace. And last, we know that for some reason, they returned to the far north, and after the War a huge Wall was constructed in the hope that in the future, they would never again return to trouble humanity.

Craster isn't able to keep the peace though. He's in a sinking situation, as the Others' demands place ever greater pressure. He's not going to be able to keep apace for very much longer. He's also one of the worst reprobates of the series, a man in the same ilk as Ramsay Bolton. That's a rather damning relationship for the Others both by association and construction.

But what evidence do we actually have that Azor Ahai, the Prince who was Promised and the Last Hero are actually connected?

The author for starters. I was something of a fan of the idea that Jon and Danny might separately end up as Azor Ahai and the Prince that was promised. Giving us contrasted chosen ones who's interests might prove complicated.

Alas, so spake Martin:

He [Stannis] is discarding the gods that he has worshiped since his childhood and accepting the red god and giving himself to the lord of light. And in return, Melisandre sees that the lord of light gives him a token of his role as the prince that was promised by an ancient prophecy. And of course, that's his sword Lightbringer.

Obviously, pretty much no fan believes Stannis being the chosen one, especially as his role is a lie Danny must slay. However, the author does indeed merge them in the quote, which, if this is a deception, would seem unnecessarily convoluted.

A careful reading of the texts shows that the story of The Last Hero and the story of Azor Ahai are very different.

No they aren't. One's the story of a man who goes into a forest to find some fair folk. The other is a possibly more metaphorical retelling of a man sacrificing what he loved to fight a terrible enemy. There's no contradiction here. We don't know much of anything expect for two events. There's nothing preventing these from being two incidents in one person's life. Also, whether the Last Hero was some contemporary of AA, that still doesn't really change anything else by necessity.

What is more, the Last Hero was supposed to live in the Dawn Age of man approximately 8000 years ago, while the story of Azor Ahai comes from a prophecy from Asshai approximately 5000 years ago.

Yes, it comes from a 5,000 year old prophecy. Not when he actually lived. No reason not to believe it wasn't during the Long Night.

GRRM has criticized the idea of the always chaotic-evil race of minious mooks heavily, and yet this is exactly how the characters in the books, particularly the main source of lore on Azor Ahai, have treated the Others.

Sure. It's possible the Others are more than one dimensional belligerents. Possibly pursuing inscrutable alien goals.

They are just another faction fighting for their survival, and very likely responding to violations of a long-forgotten treaty by the humans.

And here we have the leap. That's not really probable at all. It's also not sympathetic in the slightest. You think there's a unified faction pursuing rational self interest? In this series?

I mean, just rethink what Waymar Royce did in the very first chapter of the very first book: he chased a "raiding party" of wildlings north for ten days into the North, pursuing them after they had been left clearly dead by the Others, and when he met them, he brandished steel and challenged an Other to a fight while serving as a uniformed officer of the Night's Watch. In what universe is that not an act of war?

This requires a complete recontextualation of the events of the prologue. First, nothing in that would constitute an act of war. If it did, the peace would have broken a long time ago. States in longstanding peace tolerate minor border violations all the time. War would have erupted long ago if they didn't. Second, it's quite obvious Royce walked into an ambush. The Others surrounded him, weapons already aloft. Royce responded to an obvious declaration of hostile intent. For this to work, the Others would have to be quite petty, and making an epic overreaction. And yes, it would be petty. Because this isn't a new event that spurred a fundamentally lawful entity into action. Commanders in the watch have been ranging up north for millennia.

That they would not come South not because the Wall stops them but because they gave their word matches perfectly.

Except the Wall and Storm's End do indeed actually stop mystic power from crossing them. Melisandre can not send her power through either barrier. The Wall is most definitely a power that wards. Furthermore, why on Westeros is the Wall there at all? States in a process of detente don't build fully manned fortresses to watch their borders. That could be construed as a potential incipient to war. And if the word of the Others binds them so utterly, why is the Wall there at all?

It's not there to prevent humans from crossing into the North. This is repeated several times in the series. The Wall is completely ineffectual from preventing small bands of humans from crossing in either direction. It's there to prevent a hostile large force. And enchanted to stop powers not of common human origin.

I would also note the original post contains some rather silly ideas. Replacing the Others with a destined Tyrant doesn't really make for a more mature story. It simply trades one Other for another. The worst though has to be the cartoonish notion the Others marched out to save the world. Martin's world isn't that fantastical. No one pursues goals that utterly nebulous. It also really doesn't fit the timeline.

If Fire were going to destroy the world, the Others are come to late to correct any sort of imbalance. The greatest expansionist power to ever use Dragons is dead and gone for several centuries, probably killed by a secret cult. If the Flame was such a problem, why didn't they bother doing anything when it was actually threatening to conquer all the Freehold surveyed? We have but three dragons reborn. Certainly Magic is returning, but we've seen no evidence of any real global threat on that account. It hasn't even begun to match the powers it once held. Valyria itself was just a last gasp of a mythic age. Humans have become inward looking and self involved. They aren't aware of events outside themselves. They don't threaten much of anything outside themselves. The Others have returned not to attack an enemy poised to unleash greater power than has ever seen, but to attack one completed self consumed and vulnerable. There's a simple explanation for why they would do this, and it isn't for some environmental altruism.

I do believe all the prophecy is messed up though, and there is going to be another shoe dropping.

As far as the theory goes it's better then most but not as good as the best.

R + L = J I am like 50/50 on, and part of me hopes it is more N+A=J, and R+L=D but I doubt it...but that one is cooler.

Hmm? I don't quite see the appeal here. I get the romanticism of Ned and Ashara. But what difference does it make if Rhaegar's child is Jon or Danny?

The Hidden Targaryan theories are always funny to read, I think everyone is a secret targ... or maybe everyone is a faceless man pretending to be them, but the where originally a secret targ... Jon is the best bet for this followed by melisandre (well a hidden blackfire at least)

No love for Aegon Blackfyre?

Snip

Completely agreed.

Derthric
2015-03-30, 04:55 PM
No love for Aegon Blackfyre?Completely agreed.

That storyline is probably the one I appreciate the least in all of ASoIaF.

As far as the Grand unifying theory goes I don't see it. The Others might have motives other than "BLARG EVIL!" of that I have no doubt. But the notion of a recent treaty violation triggering these events of the books just does not work for me. The rangers of the nightswatch have been using the Fist of the First Men as a ranging post for generations and I don't think Waymar went that far north. Plus if the treat was between Men and the Others why are the giants afraid of the Others? Why would the Others tolerate tribes north of the wall at all? Its obvious the masses of Mance Rayder do not have a working relationship with the Others and never have.

Plus places like Yi Ti (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Blood_Betrayal) have their own stories of the Long Night and those lands are so far removed from the Westeros that the First Men's war with the Children of the Forest is irrelevant. I take the Long night and the variations on the heros of it, Azor Ahai, Prince who was Promised, etc as a similar to the Flood Stories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_myth) in the real world. Mythologies and texts from across the world have tales of a deity caused flood event occurring in ancient history each with their own twists and heroes. I takethe various forms of the tales of the Long Night as a similar phenomenon. As Sam states at one point

The oldest histories we have were written after the Andals came to Westeros. The First Men only left us runes on rocks, so everything we know about the Age of Heroes and the Dawn Age and the Long Night comes from accounts set down by septons thousands of years later. There are archmaesters at the Citadel who question all of it.

The deviations in the plot are a feature not a bug! A feature of GRRM folding in human foils and faults into the history of the world since it is told from an in universe perspective vs a third party style. And he loves using the unreliable narrator.

Though I never thought of the Children/Others relationship in terms of Summer/Winter courts before(And really its something that is more obvious now that I look back at it).

Lethologica
2015-03-30, 05:11 PM
Side note:

That would not be difficult. Tyrion the targ only works if you wash away the whole thematic dynamic concerning his most foundational relationship.
Very true. Even Jaime/Cersei the Targs is less silly.

JustPlayItLoud
2015-03-30, 05:48 PM
I always figured Azor Ahai, etc. were different versions of the same person. With in-universe mentions of thousands of years of unrecorded history is stands to reason GRRM is simply mirroring many of the real world creation and other myths that are very different but in some ways strikingly similar.

More to the point of the thread, I would be seriously disappointed if the story ended this way. While I have no doubt that the Others are more than mindless destroyers with their own inscrutable goals, they are also clearly antagonistic in the scenes they appear in. They kidnap children, slaughter indiscriminately, and turn the fallen into mindless monsters. That doesn't strike me as the logical response to a violated peace treaty. Furthermore, it would ruin the story if it were all leading up to "we're the real monsters all along". I don't think anyone wants to read a billion pages of story only for the ending serving to reinforce a point that's been made early and often throughout the story. In this world, everyone pays for their sins eventually and innocents are sometimes forced to pay for the sins of others. The important thing is what can all these squabbling, petty, self-involved little men and women do in the face of an enemy that cannot be reasoned or bargained with?

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-03-30, 08:48 PM
Hmm? I don't quite see the appeal here. I get the romanticism of Ned and Ashara. But what difference does it make if Rhaegar's child is Jon or Danny? Ok, the theory would be the promise me would be about her daughter, and would weigh on Ned when Robert wants to kill said daughter... also I really like the idea of Ned and Ashara and I don't know why... I mean I woundn't bet on it, but I would like it to be true... and Danny and Jon as cousins feels so right.

No love for Aegon Blackfyre?
nope... I hope he has no tie to any of it and is just a sham

McStabbington
2015-03-31, 12:28 AM
As far as the Grand unifying theory goes I don't see it. The Others might have motives other than "BLARG EVIL!" of that I have no doubt. But the notion of a recent treaty violation triggering these events of the books just does not work for me. The rangers of the nightswatch have been using the Fist of the First Men as a ranging post for generations and I don't think Waymar went that far north. Plus if the treat was between Men and the Others why are the giants afraid of the Others? Why would the Others tolerate tribes north of the wall at all? Its obvious the masses of Mance Rayder do not have a working relationship with the Others and never have.

That I have to admit, I have no idea. Without having a clear idea about the terms of the treaty (and I admit, I really am not certain what the terms would be beyond vague ideas about keeping the Old Gods, respecting the territory of the Children, and maintaining certain bloodlines and traditions) it would be hard to say exactly what then set off the Others. I would say that it is important to remember that while my examples were recent, I do think that the Others are working on an entirely different timescale. Honestly, if I had to guess what finally woke the Others up, I would say it was either Summerhall, whatever happened there, or Torrhen Stark bending the knee. The point of Waymar Royce was simply to show that while the methods of the Others are distinctly alien, their motivations may be quite understandable once we take the time to see the world from their perspective, which has been one of the major themes of the ASOIAF saga to this point.

Plus places like Yi Ti (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Blood_Betrayal) have their own stories of the Long Night and those lands are so far removed from the Westeros that the First Men's war with the Children of the Forest is irrelevant. I take the Long night and the variations on the heros of it, Azor Ahai, Prince who was Promised, etc as a similar to the Flood Stories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_myth) in the real world. Mythologies and texts from across the world have tales of a deity caused flood event occurring in ancient history each with their own twists and heroes. I takethe various forms of the tales of the Long Night as a similar phenomenon. As Sam states at one point

You and I are actually thinking quite similarly on this one. I don't doubt there was some hero in the distant past who did something marginally similar to the Azor Ahai myth as repeated by Melisandre. I'm just willing to bet that while there are some commonalities between the two, the assumption that they are one and the same is just that: an assumption on everyone's part, just as everyone assumes that the Others are nothing but baby-eating frost orcs. This is especially true when we factor in just how motivated the reasoning is for the person who has given us the readers the vast majority of the information on Azor Ahai. Thus far, Old Nan's been pretty accurate. Melisandre? Considerably less so.

stcfg
2015-03-31, 10:37 PM
That I have to admit, I have no idea. Without having a clear idea about the terms of the treaty (and I admit, I really am not certain what the terms would be beyond vague ideas about keeping the Old Gods, respecting the territory of the Children, and maintaining certain bloodlines and traditions) it would be hard to say exactly what then set off the Others. I would say that it is important to remember that while my examples were recent, I do think that the Others are working on an entirely different timescale. Honestly, if I had to guess what finally woke the Others up, I would say it was either Summerhall, whatever happened there, or Torrhen Stark bending the knee. The point of Waymar Royce was simply to show that while the methods of the Others are distinctly alien, their motivations may be quite understandable once we take the time to see the world from their perspective, which has been one of the major themes of the ASOIAF saga to this point.

It wouldn't be very satisfying to me if the motivation for Others attacking happened a few hundred years before the series began.