PDA

View Full Version : Killing Lord Soth

Warior4356
2015-03-28, 11:16 PM
So our party kinda released lord soth, 98hd. Any suggestions on how the hell can we kill that since we are level 2. I am talking long term plans to be clear.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-28, 11:34 PM
Which version of Soth?

Pre-Ravenloft, in Krynn, where he's Undead?

In Ravenloft, where he's a Darklord?

Post-Ravenloft, where he's mortal again?

EDIT: Wait, he has 98 Hit Dice? What? Are you sure? Because gods and Elder Evils have fewer than that.

kellbyb
2015-03-28, 11:46 PM
Pool your party's funds for a bag of holding and a portable hole?

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-28, 11:51 PM
Pool your party's funds for a bag of holding and a portable hole?

In case you're unfamiliar with it, this is what he's talking about. (http://www.thelonelyd12.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/superweapon_arrowhead.gif)

But, that won't work in Ravenloft. Things can't leave. Even to the Astral Plane. It just doesn't work.

Twilightwyrm
2015-03-29, 12:37 AM
This, very much, sounds like some sort of DM plot contrivance. No version of Lord Soth I know of has him stated at 98HD, and when some 98HD beast is released upon the world, the DM usually(/hopefully) has some plan in mind for how the party is supposed to get it back into whatever pit it came out of. And if the DM is fiating Lord Soth up to 98HD, they are basically trying to spell out in giant, flaming, completely unsubtle letters "DON'T EVEN TRY TO TAKE THIS GUY! HE(/I) WILL STOP ANY (Unauthorized) ATTEMPT YOU MAKE!". Unfortunately, you probably can't blatantly ignore him, as you risk the DM feeling slighted for you not properly fearing their super scary bad guy, so my advice is to head the words of Mr. Sun Tzu himself: “Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment—that which they cannot anticipate”. In other words, you'll want to go along with it initially. Search out sages, libraries, ancient texts, rumors, and riddles (in that order) to find out how (you are intended) to put him back in whatever cage he was in. This is what the DM expects, and he might even like that you are taking the prepared approach. While doing so, try to be thorough in your search. If the solution seems to be apparent, and easy enough to pull off, you might well consider going with exactly what eve DM expected. If not, keep digging. The more avenues of attack you have, the greater the likelihood that an unintended weakness you can exploit will be revealed, even if it turns out to be as simple as finding the perfect time to deploy the above portable hole/bag of holding super-weapon. Indeed, if you have a lot of information, but are still having trouble finding a discernible weakness, feel free to present your case to the good people here. The more information the community here has, the more likely the good people here will be able to devise new plans of attack.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-29, 01:18 AM
Are you sure that's not 98 Hit Points?

At any rate, some kind of caster-level-boosted Holy Word build would probably be the most reliable long game goal. If he really is 98 HD, then you shouldn't worry about fighting him until the epic levels anyway, at which point Earth Spell + DMM: Heighten + Improved Heighten + Nightsticks galore will kill anything in existence that's neither good aligned nor surrounded by a zone of silence (and without 6+ levels of Horizon Walker). Throw on Dweomerkeeper for Supernatural Spell if you think magic immunity and/or a Greater Spell Immunity would be a factor.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-03-29, 01:21 AM
Is anyone in the party a Kobold Paladin?

Warior4356
2015-03-29, 01:32 AM
Its converted from first edition, for an explanation of the 98 hd.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-03-29, 01:43 AM
In 1st ed Dragons had under 75 HP and God's no more than 400

Kraken
2015-03-29, 02:12 AM
98 hit dice? If that's truly the case, there's no telling what sort of other insane stats and abilities this incarnation of Soth might have. 98 hit points, though? Anyone with the shock trooper feat could cut him down in one hit without any trouble.

Coidzor
2015-03-29, 04:11 AM

Use social engineering to get the DM to revisit that fact because 98 hit dice is just silly and 98 hit points is too low?

Though why you know how many hit dice he has in the first place is a mystery to me.

Anyway, I'd suggest at least trying to flee, though lord knows that you shouldn't be able to unless he lets you, and generally watch out for villain sueism and the DM actively trying to prevent you from succeeding and even going to the point of changing things that were previously established to mess with you, because, yeah, that's at least an orange klaxon if not a red warning light or two.

Arcanist
2015-03-29, 08:34 AM

Smack your DM over the head and remind him that there isn't an officially listed Deity with that many HD. I mean, if you want to stat out Soth, It's going to look like an above average Fallen Death Knight. Maybe levels in Shadowbane Inquisitor to show how much he ignores the fact that he has fallen. The most I can see Soth having is somewhere in the 30HD range and being your standard badest of the badass uber-chargers.

Maglubiyet
2015-03-29, 08:59 AM
98 HD!? I think he's bluffing. Whip out your broadsword and attack.

If you did release him, maybe he'll be grateful and hire you guys. You can work closely with him for years, always watching, learning his weaknesses. By the time you reach Epic levels, say around 30, you'll know all you need to.

daremetoidareyo
2015-03-29, 06:17 PM
Why does Soth have to die?

Honest question. Is there not more utility in approaching such a powerful being and becoming close to him? Using your slowly gained influence to set up the trap that can defeat him. You get the same XP for defeat as killing, and lets be honest about how 2nd level characters will fare against such a beastly hit die amount. DM's love/hate it when you attempt to go the dialogue route with their big bads. They hate it when you have optimized bluff and diplomacy to turn the BBEG into an autonomous weapon that you use against your other BBEGs. The presence of a superpower doesn't mean that you die by being in his presence. He is a sentient being, not a rabid triceratops. His stats for discerning lies and escaping blackmails are probably not as great as his other death knight stats.

If we have some details about how he was released, maybe we can work on the best approach technique to get close to soth, and further, how to convince that badA mofo how to get the heck away from your mutually shared plane. Maybe his first girlfriend was spotted somewhere far away, somewhere from whence he is not allowed to return.