PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Half-Daelkyr Familiar Question

Deviston
2015-03-29, 09:03 AM
Greetings all.

Problem
Half-Daelkyr (HD) takes a level of Wizard and wants to make his personal symbiont (breed leech in this case) his familiar instead of the option provided.

Observations
1) Symbionts when not attached have very low HD similar to the base animals with several concerning differences (NA, Darkvision, blindsight)

2) When attached has a better/worse version of Share Spells in that spells the caster casts on himself automatically effect the symbiont and the symbiont can have spells it casts on itself effect the host (which familiar does not have IF the familiar has a spell) AND it can choose to Share Spells with its host or not (unlike the caster which it automatically shares).

3) When attached gives access by proxy to blindsight (if it chooses to communicate this information to the host, as it is not compelled to as an intelligence creature).

4) When attached can make Ego checks as an intelligent magical item to control the host.

5) When attached has telepathy (which equates to speak with master).

6) Familiars have an INT level on their table.

Questions
1) Primary question, would allowing this meshing be a major unbalancing factor?

2) Could the familiar/symbiont still make Ego checks taking into account the "master/slave" relationship of a familiar?

3) Would the INT if the symbiont stay at its base level until the wizard got up into level in which the improve INT begins applying to it, or would this symbiont be less intelligent than standard ones of its type and only have the INT displayed on the familiar table?

4) Should a feat perhaps be required to make this combination? (Improved Familiar for example, like a tax for the better creature)

5) Discrepancy between slain familiar replacement and slain symbiont replacement.

Balance Arguments For/Against
1) The combined creature being slain would be a double penalty in this single loss.

2) If Ego checks are still allowed, this every present creature (while attached, or also while unattached due to the familiar link?) would forever be a Ego concern.

3) Counts against Wealth By Level. (DM discretion, depending on how they handle the personal symbiont in general)

4) Can be mentally controlled to make Ego checks/detach by villain.

5) Rule could be made that symbiont loses some of its things when the combination is made. (loses blindsight for example)

Afterword
I like the concept that the player wants to go for, it makes sense and in general I don't see a whole heck of a lot wrong with it. I wanted to get the opinion of the community before I made a final decision. My primary concern in all of this is the "power level" of the combination. I thank you for your time and consideration.

VR
Deviston

EdroGrimshell
2015-03-30, 12:41 AM
You might take a look at my Daelkyr Bloodlord or my Aberrant feats, both have options for making Symbiont Familiars. I could see it as a Racial Substitution Level for the Halfblood.

A thing of note: Few, if any, GMs have a halfblood's personal symbiont make Ego checks unless they're acting vastly out of character. So Ego checks could actually be a benefit if your character is charmed/dominated in some way.

Anyway, on to your questions!
1) I don't think so, Symbionts can't speak, and that's a major thing for a familiar, it's the reason the Raven is considered one of the best base familiars. And you'd have had the Symbiont anyway as a halfblood. All you're doing is making it more robust. From what I can tell, it's perfectly fine.

2) I more so consider it to be a partner relationship, I've had very antagonistic familiars in the past and can tell you that the "Master/Slave" relationship isn't always the case unless the GM and Players let it happen. I've always been of the mind to have the familiar be like a favorite pet or a close friend. And like a friend, they can disagree with you and slap some sense into you when you need it (Above Thing of Note).

3) I think this would probably be ruled like an Improved Familiar, you'd use the higher of the two Intelligence scores.

4) It's not so much a better creature, and you'd have had it anyway. I suggest just making it a racial substitution level like I mentioned above.

5) I think most GMs do this, remove the Blindsight when attached that is, because it's a little potent. The only familiar that offers anything close to this from level 1 is the Bat, which has 20ft of blindsense, not even blindsight. And it can't speak to you until it gets the Speak with Master ability. I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a thing with the creature type but I'm not 100% on that. Meaning don't quote me there n_n;

Deviston
2015-03-30, 04:37 AM
Lol, I can always count on Edro to comment when it comes to things that go ::insert sound of a thousand writhing tentacles:: in the night!

All of those seem reasonable, I was concerned about the argument of the telepathy you get with the symbiont, you can speak in that manner as long as you know undercommon as you share that telepathic link. So via telepathy, you get speak with master, same result just different path of travel to the same in game mechanic.

EdroGrimshell
2015-03-30, 09:37 AM
Lol, I can always count on Edro to comment when it comes to things that go ::insert sound of a thousand writhing tentacles:: in the night!

All of those seem reasonable, I was concerned about the argument of the telepathy you get with the symbiont, you can speak in that manner as long as you know undercommon as you share that telepathic link. So via telepathy, you get speak with master, same result just different path of travel to the same in game mechanic.

Indeed :smalltongue:

I don't think that having your familiar being capable of talking to you is a big deal, especially when it's attached to you most of the time. A normal familiar is able to roam and scout, a symbiont damages you when removed and has a slow movement speed, so it's less capable of wandering around compared to the average familiar, not even going into improved familiars. The only one that might be a little on the strong side for scouting purposes is the Shadow Sibling since it's incorporeal, but it still deals wisdom damage when removed or reattached. Most of the time you'll just keep the symbiont attached, especially as a Halfblood where keeping one attached is a lifeline. In an emergency you can let it scout out ahead, but it probably won't be a standard tactic considering how slow most of them are.

Deviston
2015-03-30, 08:50 PM
What do you think about the replacement discrepancy? I feel that because the end result is a super "weak" familiar but slightly strong symbiont, the symbiont replacement rules should apply.

EdroGrimshell
2015-03-30, 10:28 PM
What do you think about the replacement discrepancy? I feel that because the end result is a super "weak" familiar but slightly strong symbiont, the symbiont replacement rules should apply.

I don't think I understand what you mean by replacement discrepancy or symbiont replacement rules. Do you mean if the symbiont is killed and the halfblood has to grow a new one?

Deviston
2015-03-31, 07:24 AM
Yes in a sense, growing a new symbiont is no big deal, but replacing a familiar states that you must wait a year and a day.

EdroGrimshell
2015-03-31, 03:32 PM
Yes in a sense, growing a new symbiont is no big deal, but replacing a familiar states that you must wait a year and a day.

Generally speaking, I'd actually make it so that the halfblood technically stores the soul and mind of their symbiont in their body when it dies, allowing them to put it into the new symbiont the moment it's fully grown. Sort of like reviving it into a new body.