PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Sudden Swarm

Kesnit
2015-03-29, 09:14 AM
A Warlock player in my game took the Invocation Sudden Swarm from Drow of the Underdark. The write-up says she adds her Warlock level to the HP and poison DC of the swarm, but says nothing about the FORT save to avoid being nauseated.

1) Are we just misreading the write-up and she is supposed to add her Warlock level to the nausea save as well?

2) If not, would it be OP to allow her to add her Warlock level to the DC of that save as well? Without it, it's a DC 11 save, which is rather pointless at LVL 11 (where the party is).

Zancloufer
2015-03-29, 09:49 AM
By Default the DC save for Warlock invocations is 10+effective spell level +Cha Mod. So adding the Charisma mod to the save DC would make sense if you want it to have some scaling. On the other hand adding the effective warlock level would seem a little OP. At most you would have half level, though thats generally for SLAs and special abilities not related to spells/powers/invocations/etc.

Curmudgeon
2015-03-29, 09:54 AM
1) No, you're not misreading anything. Only the HP and Poison DC are increased.

2) Yes, it would be overpowered to adjust the Distraction save. Nauseated is a very significant status effect, because it keeps those who failed their saves from doing anything except moving for that round. Distraction is always going to be an occasional success because 5% of all saves fail. Keeping enemies from fighting for at least a round most of the time is much more than a distraction.

nyjastul69
2015-03-29, 10:14 AM
By Default the DC save for Warlock invocations is 10+effective spell level +Cha Mod. So adding the Charisma mod to the save DC would make sense if you want it to have some scaling. On the other hand adding the effective warlock level would seem a little OP. At most you would have half level, though thats generally for SLAs and special abilities not related to spells/powers/invocations/etc.

I agree. If you are going to modify the DC by level, it should +1/2 level. Adding class level to the DC is too much. I wouldn't modify it at all personally.