PDA

View Full Version : Dry Lich Question

atemu1234
2015-03-29, 02:14 PM
Can one become a Dry Lich without taking ten levels of Walker in the Waste?

WeaselGuy
2015-03-29, 02:25 PM
Hmm... Well, the entry says it's an acquired template, that can be applied to any living creature, provided that creature can create the canopic jars and undergo the Sere Rite. The Sere Rite goes on to say that "To become a Dry Lich, a walker in the waste who has reached 10th level in that prestige class must undergo the Sere Rite."

Based on that, I would say that you actually do have to go through WitW to become a Dry Lich...

Wacky89
2015-03-29, 02:26 PM
Yea it's possible you need Create Wondrous Item, Caster level 14, 100k gp and 4000exp. Then get another Dry Lich to help you forego the Sere Rite.
See page 157 and 94.

Hellborn_Blight
2015-03-29, 02:31 PM
At the end of the monster entry for Dry Lich it says, "To become a dry lich, a walker in the waste who has reached 10th level in that prestige class must undergo the Sere Rite." which is further detailed on pg 157 (and further on 94 about the canopic jars). So it looks like the answer is no, at least per RAW.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-29, 02:31 PM
But in both cases, it states "the walker in the waste must". By RAW, I would conclude that you have to be a WitW in order to become a Dry Lich. Making the Canopic Jars even requires you to be a WitW.

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-30, 05:08 PM
I actually had this discussion with one of my players the other day. We both concluded that you must be a WitW to become one.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-30, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I would consider myself to be pretty fluent with WitW and Dry Lich, considering I just made one and placed Silver in the Villainous Competition. It's a pretty snazzy capstone, to be honest.

LoyalPaladin
2015-03-30, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I would consider myself to be pretty fluent with WitW and Dry Lich, considering I just made one and placed Silver in the Villainous Competition. It's a pretty snazzy capstone, to be honest.
Snazzy indeed. In an epic campaign we are playing, that same player is a WitW/Cleric/Monk and just beats the living daylights out of everything that gets near him...