PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Dungeon of Hextor

Thurbane
2015-03-29, 03:43 PM
Hey all,

Just looking for some ideas - the party are going to explore an old, abandoned complex that belonged to a cult of Hextor, in search for clues to the whereabouts of a McGuffin.

I've alread got some of the complex populated, but what would be some good ideas for such a place? Party is around 5th level, so appropraite CRs would be good.

The "end level boss" in the dungeon is a Huecuva Cleric.

Cheers - T

Wacky89
2015-03-29, 04:19 PM
Well it could be anything really, do you want to keep npc's humanoid or do you want more of a monster filled complex?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-03-29, 04:22 PM
Hextor's Planar Allies are Beareded/Barbed/Horned Devils, so I would include at least one Bearded Devil still guarding the place.

Followers of Hextor would most likely be very militaristic, so probably include some sort of war hounds. Magebred (ECS) Riding Dogs with the Warbeast template (MM2) and the trip ability are only CR 2, so you can use packs of them or just include them as additional bodies for fights that would otherwise be a single opponent. Give them studded leather barding, and they'll get an extra feat for that third HD that Warbeast adds so include enough cross-class Spellcraft ranks to get Mage Slayer (CA).

Include a Spell Turret (DMGII p45) that uses Summon Monster IV (1d3 Fiendish Apes), Shield of Faith, Mass on the apes, Order's Wrath, and Heightened Blindness/Deafness. Mount the spell turret to the ceiling above the main entry hall or the main dining hall, pointed down.

Living Spells (MM3) could be useful, a Living Unholy Blight is CR 7, which may be a bit high, but spells like Bestow Curse and Blindness/Deafness may be good to use.

Thurbane
2015-03-29, 04:34 PM
Well it could be anything really, do you want to keep npc's humanoid or do you want more of a monster filled complex?

Monsters would be good, PCs have mainly been fighting humanoids and devils from a Dispater cult.

Since it's been abandoned, Undead, Constructs and various wandering creatures would be appropriate.

Hextor's Planar Allies are Beareded/Barbed/Horned Devils, so I would include at least one Bearded Devil still guarding the place.

Followers of Hextor would most likely be very militaristic, so probably include some sort of war hounds. Magebred (ECS) Riding Dogs with the Warbeast template (MM2) and the trip ability are only CR 2, so you can use packs of them or just include them as additional bodies for fights that would otherwise be a single opponent. Give them studded leather barding, and they'll get an extra feat for that third HD that Warbeast adds so include enough cross-class Spellcraft ranks to get Mage Slayer (CA).

Include a Spell Turret (DMGII p45) that uses Summon Monster IV (1d3 Fiendish Apes), Shield of Faith, Mass on the apes, Order's Wrath, and Heightened Blindness/Deafness. Mount the spell turret to the ceiling above the main entry hall or the main dining hall, pointed down.

Living Spells (MM3) could be useful, a Living Unholy Blight is CR 7, which may be a bit high, but spells like Bestow Curse and Blindness/Deafness may be good to use.
I'd like to avoid Devils, but other suggestions are great, thanks.

tadkins
2015-03-29, 04:40 PM
Monsters would be good, PCs have mainly been fighting humanoids and devils from a Dispater cult.

Since it's been abandoned, Undead, Constructs and various wandering creatures would be appropriate.

Blood Golems of Hextor out of FF seem tailor-made for something like this.

Thurbane
2015-03-29, 04:52 PM
Blood Golems of Hextor out of FF seem tailor-made for something like this.

I agree - however, at CR 8 they might be a bit tough. Maybe I can weaken it a little to drop down the CR.

DrMotives
2015-03-29, 05:43 PM
If you have access to the Ravenloft stuff, a blood elemental fits thematically very well with an old temple to Hextor. One at large size isn't even out of your target CR either.

Hellborn_Blight
2015-03-29, 06:43 PM
Rylkspawn Swarm from MM5, 138. Swarms suck, and this is a nasty underground themed one. CR 4

Nagatha from MM4, 102, are an ambush style monster that burrows underground. CR 4

Tomb Spiders and Web Mummies seem perfect here as well. MM4 164-165 CR 6 and 4

If the complex is at the top of a hill or mountain, you can make entering it a pain if an Avalancher has taken it as it's terratory. MM3, 13 CR 5.

Thurbane
2015-03-30, 03:24 PM
If you have access to the Ravenloft stuff, a blood elemental fits thematically very well with an old temple to Hextor. One at large size isn't even out of your target CR either.

There's a version of a Blood Elemental here (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030208a). :smallsmile:

deuxhero
2015-03-30, 04:34 PM
Hextor's favored weapon is a flail: How about his temple has spinning columns with flails attached (I've seen such a trap/hazard in a few works of fiction. Just take one of the many other "hit with weapon" traps to trigger every round and do damage as a flail) that enemies try to bullrush the players into the range of? The PCs could avoid them, or use their to their own advantage

Ferronach
2015-03-30, 04:44 PM
Due to the martial flavor, I would consider having some animated training equipment kicking around. It doesn't have to be high CR but it will break the dungeon up and laughter will ensue when a training dummy tackles the wizard :P

deuxhero
2015-03-30, 04:56 PM
Combine the two above posts: The players encounter a few people in a training room that has a spining flail traps to practice evasion and blocking (Atk +8 melee 1d10(19-20/×2) non-lethal to everyone within 5 or 10 feet every round, up the damage if you feel like it), animated training dummies (medium animated objects) that attempt to grapple targets and force them into the flails (which they are immune to thanks to doing non-lethal damage and them being constructs) and of course some initiates and a teacher.