PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magus: Song of the Blade Dance

Dysart
2015-03-29, 05:24 PM
Just perusing the Magus choices and my eye unfortunately wandered into the 3rd party things.

Now I know these aren't official and such but some of these are a little silly, for instance Song of the Blade Dance.

Prerequisite: Elf or Half Elf
Benefit:
The magus can spend 1 point from her arcane pool as a swift action to sing a song that enhances the flow of magic through his weapon for one round per magus class level. Her weapon pulses with the music, allowing her to enter a fighting dance that bewilders her enemies and sharpens her combat talents. While in this dance, she gains a +2 dodge bonus to Armour Class, a +1 bonus to attacks and a +2 bonus to Initiative.

So to sum up, earliest this can be gained is level 3.
So at level 3 the Magus spends 1 swift action and 1 point to gain +2AC, +1 to attacks and +2 Initiative.

Is it just me being stupid or does this seem a little over powered?

Doomeye56
2015-03-29, 05:43 PM
Meh, doesnt seem too bad to me.

Vhaidara
2015-03-29, 06:35 PM
Nope, sounds like a completely reasonable use of the Arcane Pool.

Zaq
2015-03-29, 06:45 PM
What good does it do you to get a boost to initiative after you start combat? Seems like it's really going to be hard to time turning it on right before you enter combat, at least with that low duration.

And yeah, that doesn't seem OP to me at all. I can't see myself ever spending a feat on that, especially since it doesn't scale.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-03-29, 06:51 PM
Eh, as long as you're the one starting the combat it's not so bad.

Kurald Galain
2015-03-30, 03:15 AM
Nope, that's not overpowered at all. In fact a magus is sharply limited in both pool points and swift actions, so he probably has something better to do with both. I would not want to spend a feat or an arcana slot on this ability.