PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way for an Arcane caster to access "Create Food and Water?"

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-29, 06:57 PM
I wanted to do this in a campaign I'm running, but I can't find a way to do it.

Any ideas? Is it on a Domain somewhere that I missed?

EDIT: Yup, Gluttony. In the Spell Compendium.

How do I delete a topic?

Ilorin Lorati
2015-03-29, 07:01 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a Creation domain somewhere with the spell on its list, which should open up Arcane Disciple for it.

Edit: Check Complete Divine, my bet.

Jormengand
2015-03-29, 07:01 PM
Maybe. Sorcerers can cast spells that aren't on the Wiz/sor list that they have "Gained an understanding of through study," but no-one's quite sure what this actually means in practice.

How do I delete a topic?
You don't. Just let it die.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-29, 07:04 PM
Maybe. Sorcerers can cast spells that aren't on the Wiz/sor list that they have "Gained an understanding of through study," but no-one's quite sure what this actually means in practice.

Well, there's a feat that I can use called... I think it's Domain Access? You basically swap a few low-level spells to get one Domain.

I just need a RAW explanation on how one of my NPCs created a "Create Food and Water" trap.

Divayth Fyr
2015-03-29, 07:06 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a Creation domain somewhere with the spell on its list, which should open up Arcane Disciple for it.

There are also Feast and Gluttony domains that have the spell.

Chronos
2015-03-29, 07:32 PM
There are also prestige classes that let you learn spells from other lists. I think Wyrm Wizard will do it, for instance.

Vizzerdrix
2015-03-29, 09:23 PM
Leomunds's Billet. 5th level Sorc/Wiz spell.
Heroes of Battle Page 127.

Among the things it does is make 40 loaves of bread and two large pots of gruel. Use Prestidigitation to flavor, or a handful of cheap herbs. Either will work.

deuxhero
2015-03-29, 09:51 PM
For 3.5 you can be a dragon. Steel dragon in particular is pretty usable as a PC race if you gish.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-03-29, 10:05 PM
Extra Spell can arguably let you learn off-list spells. Ask your DM.

Geddy2112
2015-03-29, 10:14 PM
A sorcerer with enough ranks in use magic device can just have it on a wand.

Hua
2015-03-29, 11:33 PM
limited wish

Aquillion
2015-03-30, 12:51 AM
Although it's a bit high-level, Mage's Magnificent Mansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesMagnificentMansion.htm) includes "sufficient foodstuffs to serve a nine-course banquet to a dozen people per caster level."

So creating food and water isn't specifically impossible for Wiz / Sorc spells; you could probably make other custom spells that do it.

hifidelity2
2015-03-30, 03:12 AM
I managed to persuade a my DM to let me create a new spell

“Dehydrate Food and Drink”
This is a 3rd level spell that lets to turn any food / drink into a small pile of powder – just add water to return it to its original meal. So if you use it on a chicken dinner – you put the powder on a plat, add hot water and you get the same chicken dinner as it was when the spell was cast.
Enough to feed 1 person / day / level

The spell CANNOT be used in any offensive manner what so ever

It has made adventuring “easier” as no more trail rations

Psyren
2015-03-30, 03:15 AM
You can also bind something that can cast the spell for you; for example, Jann and Djinn can both do this and are core.

Grooke
2015-03-30, 06:14 AM
Well, there's a feat that I can use called... I think it's Domain Access? You basically swap a few low-level spells to get one Domain.

I just need a RAW explanation on how one of my NPCs created a "Create Food and Water" trap.

Like Ilorin Lorati said, the feat is Arcane Disciple from Complete Divine

Aquillion
2015-03-30, 10:39 PM
I managed to persuade a my DM to let me create a new spell

“Dehydrate Food and Drink”
This is a 3rd level spell that lets to turn any food / drink into a small pile of powder – just add water to return it to its original meal. So if you use it on a chicken dinner – you put the powder on a plat, add hot water and you get the same chicken dinner as it was when the spell was cast.
Enough to feed 1 person / day / level

The spell CANNOT be used in any offensive manner what so ever

It has made adventuring “easier” as no more trail rationsThat's pretty much just Shrink Item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shrinkItem.htm). Although that's a clever use for it to solve the OP's problem!

Vizzerdrix
2015-03-30, 10:47 PM
With craft alchemy, you can make trail bars (DC20) and weeping flasks (DC15).

Complete Scoundrel and Mage respectively.