PDA

View Full Version : Deciding between two character builds.

RealCheese
2015-03-29, 09:34 PM
So I am swapping out my character in hoard of the dragon queen. I am going to be creating him at level 6 and I have two different character builds in mind revolving around the same concept. We recently lost our rogue and our barbarian is leaving (moving states) and while the roguish trap-tinkering has not really been needed that much so far, I want to be able to do that and also deal some decent damage while tanking fairly well as the barbarian does.
He will be variant human.
Stats at level 6 will be Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14 and Cha 9.
I am taking the entertainer background for background purposes (he used to be a handsome devil but a half-dragon woman who felt slighted by his less than perfect fidelity gave him a face full of acid breathweapon).
Both builds start with a level of rogue for skills and thieve's tools. Expertise will be put into perception and thieve's tools.
Now the next 5 levels will be either fighter (champion) or ranger (hunter).
Either one will take defense as fighting style and dual wielder plus sentinel as feats, for a 19 ac in medium armor.
The champion would use a rapier and a whip (the whip for an attempt at sneak attack damage with reach if needed)
The hunter would use a rapier and a hand axe (the hand axe for an attempt at sneak attack damage at range as well as for use with the ranger ranged-attack improvement spells)
With the champion route I would take one more level of fighter, then the rest in rogue, going assassin path.
With the ranger route I would take 3 more levels of rogue probably going assassin, but possibly thief, though that would give me too many bonus actions to choose from I feel, then the rest of the levels in ranger.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

What draws me to the fighter build is that there are no non-casters in the group and I would like to roleplay a mundane but capable approach to these high-magic hijinks. A warlock, a cleric and a paladin are the other players.
What draws me to the ranger build is having all the different options for the bonus action, all of which seem very effective. The ranger would choose the colossus slayer option for 2d8+2d6+str mod every round as long as he gets to sneak attack.
The fighter would have insane crits, especially when his rogue level goes up a little bit too.

Jlooney
2015-03-29, 09:49 PM
Honestly I think your build idea would serve to go ranger rogue and go enough rogue to pick up assassin.