PDA

View Full Version : (Strict PF) Best two x-class spells

Occasional Sage
2015-03-29, 10:57 PM
I'm playing a Ftr1/Wiz5/CollegiateArcanist3, rebuilt slightly to give access to Cleric spells; the character becomes something like an arcane Paladin using buffs, debuffs, and BFC.

On my next two levels I get my only 3rd level spells. In Strict PF, what choices beat Archon's Aura and Aura Sight for an uptight-LG melee gish?

Psyren
2015-03-30, 11:38 AM
By "rebuilt slightly" - do you mean that the CA's Halcyon Magic ability lets you pick from the cleric list instead of the druid list? Are domain spells allowed?

Assuming yes and no respectively - Archon's Aura isn't that good imo, as it is will negates and even if they fail they can break the effect by landing a single hit. I would go with Prayer instead, which has no save, a much wider area, cannot be broken and buffs your allies as well. It's also on the Archon domain as well as the normal cleric list, making it fit your LG flavor that much more strongly.

Bestow Curse is another neat idea because clerics get it a level earlier, letting you metamagic it more easily. Speak With Dead could potentially be useful depending on your campaign and party composition (if you have another divine caster, skip.) Glyph of Warding can set some nasty traps.

Occasional Sage
2015-03-30, 08:29 PM
Both assumptions are correct.

Early access to a spell isn't as exciting to me; spell slots can be purchased.

Prayer DOES look better; I was leaning toward AA for the longer duration, but you make a solid and compelling case for Prayer. The flavor isn't any better (see AA's Good descriptor), but it's still solid. Thanks!

Glyph of Warding is tasty. Hm. It'd be even better if the casting cost were under the 100gp cap of False Focus. I think I still prefer Aura Sight though.

Psyren
2015-03-30, 08:36 PM
I actually meant "fits more strongly than other non-aligned options" - not "fits more strongly than Archon's Aura." Sorry that wasn't clear.

Aura Sight is useful, I'd keep that one - unless law and chaos don't really matter, in which case detect evil should do the job fine, even with the longer scan time.