PDA

View Full Version : Nunchaku as double weapon?

PraxisVetli
2015-03-29, 11:16 PM
So, I have a dilemna. I would love for my swordsage to be able to embody Yin and Yang. Super cliche, black and white, the works.
But.
What would make my day is for my chucks to be seperate weapons, one side black, dealing Profane damage and inflicting penalties and smiting good, and the other white, healing and smiting evil. If the chucks were a double weapon, I could do this.
But they aren't.
How could I make it so they are?
Would making them Large so they're two handed work?
What can I do?

Bucky
2015-03-29, 11:22 PM
Use a Dire Flail's stats and refluff it as Dire Nunchaku?

PraxisVetli
2015-03-29, 11:33 PM
Use a Dire Flail's stats and refluff it as Dire Nunchaku?

Well, technically, I'm using a flindbar, if that matters.
I'll definitely check out the Dire Flail?

On a second though, what about an enchantment or feat. Is there a such thing?

Lightlawbliss
2015-03-29, 11:42 PM
...three section staff...

PraxisVetli
2015-03-30, 12:29 AM
...three section staff...

Where is that?

holywhippet
2015-03-30, 12:38 AM
Where is that?

Oriental adventures, but from what I can see it isn't listed as being a double weapon.

You could try to convince your DM to let you have a custom double weapon nunchaku but maybe without the double weapon attack rules.

dysprosium
2015-03-30, 08:59 AM
It sounds like it would be cooler on the same weapon but if it is a double weapon you were going to have to pay the magic item prices twice anyway.

Could you have two different nunchucku--one pair white and one pair black?

Might solve your problem.

Red Fel
2015-03-30, 09:03 AM
A shame you're limiting yourself to nunchaku. In WoL there was a black-and-white staff that accomplishes exactly what you want, embodying yin and yang, positive and negative energy. However, it is a quarterstaff, not nunchaku. But it's food for thought; really, mechanically, how hard would it be to take that particular weapon and adjust it to a nunchaku?

WeaselGuy
2015-03-30, 09:19 AM
It sounds like it would be cooler on the same weapon but if it is a double weapon you were going to have to pay the magic item prices twice anyway.

And now I'm going to have to build a double-chuk wielder. Time to dig out the TWF Handbook... SLT Barb into Rokugan Ninja perhaps? Swordsage into Bloodclaw? Decisions, decisions...

PraxisVetli
2015-03-30, 01:02 PM

I didn't mind paying it twice actually.

A shame you're limiting yourself to nunchaku. In WoL there was a black-and-white staff that accomplishes exactly what you want, embodying yin and yang, positive and negative energy. However, it is a quarterstaff, not nunchaku. But it's food for thought; really, mechanically, how hard would it be to take that particular weapon and adjust it to a nunchaku?
I know! It's where half the inspiration came from.
We're doing a weapon of legacy campaign, and I wanted to do something like that, and while my DM will likely let it fly, I prefer to do things by book if possible.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-30, 01:06 PM
I didn't mind paying it twice actually.

I know! It's where half the inspiration came from.
We're doing a weapon of legacy campaign, and I wanted to do something like that, and while my DM will likely let it fly, I prefer to do things by book if possible.

If you are doing a WoL campaign, I would assume each player is picking a WoL to be "theirs". If that is the case, really your best bet would be to go to your DM and be like "Hey, yeah, this cool staff right here? This is the one I want, only... can it be a nunchaku instead? I realllllly want to be a nunchaku swordsage. It'd be super sweet if it was a pair of chuk's actually, but just one would be fine :smallbiggrin:"

Red Fel
2015-03-30, 02:10 PM
If you are doing a WoL campaign, I would assume each player is picking a WoL to be "theirs". If that is the case, really your best bet would be to go to your DM and be like "Hey, yeah, this cool staff right here? This is the one I want, only... can it be a nunchaku instead? I realllllly want to be a nunchaku swordsage. It'd be super sweet if it was a pair of chuk's actually, but just one would be fine :smallbiggrin:"

This. Frankly, it would be easy to take the two ends of the staff and effectively combine them, changing it from a double weapon to a single weapon, and add the proviso that, "As a [swift/move] action, the wielder may switch between [positive end function] and [negative end function]." This actually nerfs it somewhat, which is fair; you're combining both ends into a single weapon between which the wielder can switch, but at the same time you're giving up the ability to functionally dual wield or switch to two-hand wielding it. You're also giving up the ability to enhance both ends separately (although I don't think you can do that to a WoL), because it's a single weapon.

You could even modify that idea; at higher Legacy levels, you could adjust the ability to "each time you strike an enemy with this weapon, you may, at your discretion, switch it between types as a free action." Thus, if full attacking with it, you could go light-dark-light-dark, or light-light-light-light, or dark-light-dark-dark, as you please.

PraxisVetli
2015-03-30, 02:15 PM

This. Frankly, it would be easy to take the two ends of the staff and effectively combine them, changing it from a double weapon to a single weapon, and add the proviso that, "As a [swift/move] action, the wielder may switch between [positive end function] and [negative end function]." This actually nerfs it somewhat, which is fair; you're combining both ends into a single weapon between which the wielder can switch, but at the same time you're giving up the ability to functionally dual wield or switch to two-hand wielding it. You're also giving up the ability to enhance both ends separately (although I don't think you can do that to a WoL), because it's a single weapon.

You could even modify that idea; at higher Legacy levels, you could adjust the ability to "each time you strike an enemy with this weapon, you may, at your discretion, switch it between types as a free action." Thus, if full attacking with it, you could go light-dark-light-dark, or light-light-light-light, or dark-light-dark-dark, as you please.

I actually want a single pair of chucks.
Or.. one chuck.. however you would phrase that.

Though these ideas seem pretty solid. Thanks guys!

Red Fel
2015-03-30, 02:19 PM
I actually want a single pair of chucks.
Or.. one chuck.. however you would phrase that.

Precisely. You go with the onechuck. (That's a thing now.) Instead of taking the benefits of both ends of the staff (because that's clearly our model) at the same time on a double weapon, you have a single weapon that switches between the two. You can easily fluff that as wielding one end of the 'chuck in hand, and one end as the implement of pain to be introduced to those who oppose you. Switching is as easy as switching which end you're holding, which if Bruce Lee taught us anything, is super easy.

Then just go from there.