PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Gargantuan greatsword... and a war hulk

Tindragon
2015-03-30, 08:39 AM
The parties big basher. And my gollie does he ever.

Ogre, Half Dragon, fighter, War Hulk.

Items of note.

Adamantine Greatsword, Huge. Soon to be enchanted.

Strong Arm Bracers (MiC), Ring of Growth (SS)

other stuff... meh.

defiantdan
2015-03-30, 08:52 AM

Items of note.

other stuff... meh.

does he want to up his game? If so get a minotaur Greathammer. Get someone to cast greater mighty wallop on it. Templates from Dragon magazines: Half-minotaur + Half-Ogre = +1 LA. Grab a water orc as the base race. replace fighter levels with Warblade, Barbarian dip and dungeon crasher dip. buy some shalanthra's disks of righteous might and divine power. Maybe toss in a a level of hulking hurler and a few of that tossing prestige class from tome of battle.

Rebel7284
2015-03-30, 09:09 AM
Normal Ogre has a lot of LA and HD...

If I were building something like that, I would go with:

Half Minotaur Goliath (if LA buyoff was allowed) for a racial/better version of Strongarm Bracers + Large Size.
Or alternatively Half Minotaur Water Orc with the bracers.

Then I would take levels in Psychic Warrior.

So something like Barbarian 2/Psychic Warrior 4/War Hulk X

Take practiced manifester to be able to augment expansion. Grow TWO size categories to be a gargantuan war hulk that happens to use a colossal weapon.

Who needs greater mighty wallop when your weapon actually IS colossal? :smallbiggrin:

The Insanity
2015-03-30, 09:36 AM

Items of note.

other stuff... meh.
Uh, good for you?

meemaas
2015-03-30, 09:36 AM
Who needs greater mighty wallop when your weapon actually IS colossal? :smallbiggrin:

When you convince your DM that the weapon can still gain size categories and deal damage like it was colossal+++ or something like that?

Rebel7284
2015-03-30, 10:44 AM
When you convince your DM that the weapon can still gain size categories and deal damage like it was colossal+++ or something like that?

Well that... :P

Good luck with that though. While it's not overpowered considering all that magic can do, it's also only defined for natural attacks of a few 3.0 epic dragons...

edit:
Cheese alert:

Which is why you should be playing a venerable dragonwraught half-ogre half minotaur! Your type becomes dragon, and thus you can totally say that the epic dragon rules should work for you! Totally legit. >_>

Tindragon
2015-03-30, 11:22 AM
His type is already Dragon.

And really, he's already level 6ftr/1war hulk. Just level'd into it this weekend. And yes there are a lot of +LA issues (+4 total per RAW) Party level is currently 11. He has had 0 issues keeping up. The party is caster heavy, including a DMM Persist Cleric that keeps party lesser vigor, then delay death and divine power on self. An Arcane Theurge and a mystic theurge, a duskblade, and a monk half iron golem. They really have been blasting through everything, not JUST with raw power, but as a good group of players that like to work together and feed off each others strengths.

This guy is actually kept invisible most of the time, and when outdoors, stays airborne as much as possible. None of them are tier 1, but they push then envelope by teamwork and knowing limitations.

Yes, like any DM I could make some specific challenges that would annihilate them, but what's the fun in that?

Also, as far as more optimizing, the one thing he has asked for, and I can't seem to find thus far, some item that will let him emulate the Supreme Cleave ability of the Frenzied Berserker. He wants to go full progression in War Hulk and not class dip anymore. With enough gold and time, I'm sure he could have something commissioned and crafted, but is there something that already exists?

Thanks

Rebel7284
2015-03-30, 12:30 PM
His type is already Dragon.

And really, he's already level 6ftr/1war hulk. Just level'd into it this weekend. And yes there are a lot of +LA issues (+4 total per RAW) Party level is currently 11. He has had 0 issues keeping up. The party is caster heavy, including a DMM Persist Cleric that keeps party lesser vigor, then delay death and divine power on self. An Arcane Theurge and a mystic theurge, a duskblade, and a monk half iron golem. They really have been blasting through everything, not JUST with raw power, but as a good group of players that like to work together and feed off each others strengths.

This guy is actually kept invisible most of the time, and when outdoors, stays airborne as much as possible. None of them are tier 1, but they push then envelope by teamwork and knowing limitations.

Yes, like any DM I could make some specific challenges that would annihilate them, but what's the fun in that?

Also, as far as more optimizing, the one thing he has asked for, and I can't seem to find thus far, some item that will let him emulate the Supreme Cleave ability of the Frenzied Berserker. He wants to go full progression in War Hulk and not class dip anymore. With enough gold and time, I'm sure he could have something commissioned and crafted, but is there something that already exists?

Thanks

Ogres have 4 racial HD and 2 LA.
Half Dragon is +3LA

So his effective character level is 5LA/4 HD/6 Fighter/1 War Hulk = ECL 16

Seems high for a level 11 party, but hey, if it's working for your party, all is good. :)

Not sure about supreme cleave, but I recall there are some stances in Tome of Battle that grant extra 5-foot steps. Those can be picked up with Martial Stance feat if your initiator level is high enough.

Metahuman1
2015-03-30, 01:18 PM
Your sadly thinking of the Evasive reflexes feat I think, which is combat reflexes except instead of the attack, he get's to take a 5ft step.

There's also a stance that makes the 5ft step a 10ft step.

Tindragon
2015-04-04, 01:52 PM
Ogres have 4 racial HD and 2 LA.
Half Dragon is +3LA

So his effective character level is 5LA/4 HD/6 Fighter/1 War Hulk = ECL 16

Seems high for a level 11 party, but hey, if it's working for your party, all is good. :)

Not sure about supreme cleave, but I recall there are some stances in Tome of Battle that grant extra 5-foot steps. Those can be picked up with Martial Stance feat if your initiator level is high enough.

the +LA for half dragon is pretty heavily weighted according to most around here. So instead of adding all the extra, I allowed him to leave off the racial HD altogether. So, he has no racial HD, but does have the +LA for HD and Ogre.

It hasn't really affected the balance of the party, he's still behind on BAB, HPs, etc... for all his extra Str/Con. Hasn't broken anything, but he has lucked out and rolls crits more than I'd like in some encounters, but meh, that's luck of the dice.

Edit:

He;s gonna full progression War Hulk, so with LA and 10 PrC levels, his BAB will never allow him more than 2 attacks. (but obviously the radius swing, and cleaving will come into play)

Vhaidara
2015-04-04, 02:29 PM
He;s gonna full progression War Hulk, so with LA and 10 PrC levels, his BAB will never allow him more than 2 attacks. (but obviously the radius swing, and cleaving will come into play)

Actually, he won't even have 2 attacks by 20.
LA 5/Full BAB class 5/War Hulk 10 only nets him a BAB of 5. Second attack comes online at 6

meemaas
2015-04-04, 04:27 PM
Actually, he won't even have 2 attacks by 20.
LA 5/Full BAB class 5/War Hulk 10 only nets him a BAB of 5. Second attack comes online at 6

But he's already a level six fighter. He only has an LA of 4, plus, if he wants to scare his dm he can get a skillful weapon and end up with three attacks at high levels anyways.

Studoku
2015-04-04, 07:20 PM
With the absurd strength and size bonuses this guy gets, have you considered Dungeoncrasher Fighter (Dungeonscape)?

Flickerdart
2015-04-04, 07:43 PM
Good luck with that though. While it's not overpowered considering all that magic can do, it's also only defined for natural attacks of a few 3.0 epic dragons...
Colossal+ is defined as a virtual size category for Force and Prismatic epic true dragons. There is no such thing as Colossal+++.

Tindragon
2015-04-16, 11:44 AM
But he's already a level six fighter. He only has an LA of 4, plus, if he wants to scare his dm he can get a skillful weapon and end up with three attacks at high levels anyways.

:eek:

...nifty...

Source for skillful weapon?

Tindragon
2015-04-16, 11:49 AM
NM, found it, my google is strong today!

Highly prized by many arcane spellcasters, a skillful weapon can be wielded without penalty by a character not normally proficient with it. In addition, the wielder's base attack bonus improves to a minimum of 3/4 his level (as a cleric of the same character level) when he attacks with a skillful weapon, though he gains no such bonus with any other weapon, even if a skillful weapon is wielded at the same time.
The skillful special ability can be added only to melee weapons.
Aura: Moderate transmutation
Caster Level: 11th
Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Tenser's Transformation
Price: +2 bonus
Complete Arcane

So in essence, at any given level the War Hulk using this would have a BAB of equal level cleric... Thus at character level 15 and up, he gains another attack? Joy.