PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Assume supernatural ability discussion

defiantdan
2015-03-30, 10:33 AM
My DM and I are having a discussion on how Assume supernatural ability works. I am of the opinion that the feat allows you to choose an SU each time you take a new form via a magical effect that changes your form (i.e. polymorph and wildshape). He believes I pick one SU on one form and that locks in as the assumed supernatural ability.

I won't be contending with this very much as DM is law but he is open to find out why I think it works my way. So i'm coming to the forums to find out what you think how RAW favors the DM or me.

torrasque666
2015-03-30, 10:38 AM
Given that it has the disclaimer "You can take this feat multiple times. You cannot apply it more than once to the same special ability in order to improve the Will save DC. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a different special ability." it leads me to believe that while its not limited to one form, it would still be limited to a specific SU ability. But selecting "breath weapon" would work for anything that has one, be it a black dragon or a pyrohydra.

defiantdan
2015-03-30, 10:49 AM
So would selecting Eye Ray allow me to use a beholder's eye rays if I assumed his form?

sideswipe
2015-03-30, 10:51 AM
So would selecting Eye Ray allow me to use a beholder's eye rays if I assumed his form?

i would say yes, though what is the name of the supernatural ability of its eye rays? some DM's might be strict and only let you have ones with that exact name.

i would allow eye rays and you could use any eye rays of any from you take.

torrasque666
2015-03-30, 10:52 AM
By my reading, yes. As well as any other creature with the Eye Ray (Su) ability.

Flickerdart
2015-03-30, 10:53 AM
Given that it has the disclaimer "You can take this feat multiple times. You cannot apply it more than once to the same special ability in order to improve the Will save DC. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a different special ability." it leads me to believe that while its not limited to one form, it would still be limited to a specific SU ability. But selecting "breath weapon" would work for anything that has one, be it a black dragon or a pyrohydra.
This is the interpretation I favor, as well.

Bronk
2015-03-30, 11:07 AM
I agree... the feat specifies a 'single supernatural ability', but just says 'of another kind of creature', without specifying 'a single form' or 'a single kind of creature', etc.

So, I guess the DM is closer to the mark, but is still being a bit more restrictive than the feat suggests.

Mr Adventurer
2015-03-30, 11:39 AM
"A single ability of another kind of creature" pretty obviously means [a red dragon's] [breath weapon]. Surely? You've got a single ability. Of another kind of creature. If it was from more than one kind of creature, it would be more than one ability.

Deadline
2015-03-30, 12:29 PM

This is the way I interpret the feat as well.