PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Redone [Variant]

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-12, 02:39 PM
Metamagic is one of the more iconic aspects of the magic system, but it's one of the most problematic feat systems in the game:
1. Spells become exponentially better as spell levels increase; an empowered magic missle is simply not as good as a fireball; some spells are worthwhile to empower or maximize, but metamagic should be something that is reasonable to use for all or most of your seplls interchangably.

2. Effects that allow you to use metamagic without raising spell levels, such as divine metamagic, are almost always overpowered.

3. Certain feats, like still or silence, or only useful in extreme situations, which is problematic for prepared classes which must invest these feats ahead of time.

New System:
Still Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit: You may cast a spell without using somatic components by spending a number of Metamagic uses equal to the spell's level. You may only apply this feat to spells whose levels are at least one level lower than the highest level spell you can cast.
You gain one additional Metamagic use per day.

Heighten Spell
Benefit: You may increase the effective level of a spell by one level for each Metamagic use you spend to do so, plus the original spells level. You may not raise the spells effective level higher than the highest level spell you can cast.

Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit: You may cast a spell with a casting time no greater than a standard action as a swift action by spending a number of Metamagic uses equal to three greater than the spell's level. You may only apply this feat to spells whose levels are at least four levels lower than the highest level spell you can cast.

Heighten spell is the only wild card, other feats work the same way
as the ones presented.
Magic Versatility
Prerequisite: At least one Metamagic feat.
Benefit: You gain two additional Metamagic uses per day.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times, it's effects stack.

Basics: It is applied spontaneously, working the same for both prepared and spontaneous casters; you do not need to specifically prepare metamagiced spells ahead of time, and there is no increase in casting time for sorcerers.

In addition to the number of metamagic uses granted by feats, you gain a base number granted by your spellcasting stat.

Example: Nax is an 8th level sorcerer with a Charisma of 16, Heighten Spell, Still Spell, and Empower spell. He has 6 uses of Metamagic (3 for his stat and 3 for his feats.)
He can cast Magic Missle, Mirror Image, and Lightning Bolt (among other spells). He can expend two (1 + Spell Level) of his daily Metamagic uses to Empower Magic Missle. He cannot empower Mirror Image because that is not at least two levels lower than the highest level spell he can cast. He can cast Still Magic Missle by expending 1 use (Spell Level) or 2 uses to Still Mirror Image (Spell Level) but cannot Still Lightning Bolt (See above).

Thoughts?

Ionari
2007-04-13, 07:13 AM
Doesn't seem like there are enough metamagic uses per day to make it worthwhile to take more than one or two metamagic feats. Perhaps add another metamagic use per day for each caster level?

adanedhel9
2007-04-13, 07:42 AM
I've seen similar metamagic variants before, but I like your interpretation of Heighten, Still, and Silent.

I agree with Ionari that there doesn't seem to be enough metamagic uses. Similar systems usually just replace the level cost with metamagic points/uses, but that conflicts with your objectives. I would suggest giving a bunch of points (6 or 8, maybe) when you take your first metamagic feat, and 2 per each other metamagic feat.

The problem that I have with it is that it obstructs certain fluff/crunch combinations that use thematicly-linked spells. For example, I have a 'storm mage' character (actually a Spirit Shaman) that tends to cast Admixed spells a lot. Under your system, he could only get a few of those off before he'd run out of metamagic uses.

To fix that, you might want to specify that the original system can be used as a 'backup': if you run out of metamagic points, you can still raise the level of the spell to add metamagic.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-13, 04:44 PM
Doesn't seem like there are enough metamagic uses per day to make it worthwhile to take more than one or two metamagic feats. Perhaps add another metamagic use per day for each caster level?
That's probably a good idea, because the cost of using the feats does scale to spell level. :Edits:

As for the fluff/crunch idea, I don't know what to tell you. These feats are meant to make the system usable when it is otherwise not, and having them usable in both the new and original way I feel like this makes it feel clunky.