PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a trio of characters for non- magical item creation?

onyxpilot
2015-03-30, 01:59 PM
I want to make a set of characters that specialize in making non magical weapons and armor at low level (for now). One of them I want to focus on alchemy, the other two on item creation with one possible having a magical base class. I've looked into this a lot but need a second pair of eyes with some new ideas. I cant decide right now between making these three sibling, PCs or NPCs, for my upcoming DnD 3.5 campaign. I am open to learning 5th edition but have no access to books so this answer would have to be thoroughly explained if done in the 5th edition style. Note that i am really good at making custom items in DnD and just need characters to build them so I can help my group and satisfy the want to use all my DMs new ores he made for the campaign.to narrow it down and make it simple

what would be a good class or multi-class and feats should I use for (A) a dwarf alchemist (B) a dwarf smith good at making non magical items. (C) A business man dwarf that can do something to help start a guild or collage of technology with the help of the other two, and make items better . all in all I want them to work together to be able to make items that don't need to be enchanted to be powerful.
what are good general classes I can take for item creation.
what are good 3.5 and maybe 5th edition books that cover the types of materials, gems,and other ways to enhance items related to non spell casting combat.
a list of all sources pertaining to item creation would be great . specifically those regarding materials , feats, and any home-brew classes that may help.
More info to help currently starting levels are 6 but Ill take any ideas for any levels. resources are pulled from all 3.5 books but there are so many I'm having trouble learning them all. we hunt dragons a lot so usually we have dragon bones at least but we also fight very varied encounters. most include magical. I don't know much about all the ores my DM added but I wouldn't want to reveal those with out talking to him. he allows technology breakthroughs like retractable blades and stuff not in books. in the end though this is for a new campaign.

Troacctid
2015-03-30, 02:08 PM
Bards are very good at crafting nonmagical items. They can use Words of Creation (Book of Exalted Deeds), Song of Making (Eberron), and Bardic Knack (Player's Handbook II) or Lorecall (Dungeonscape) to get large bonuses to all Craft skills--enough to easily craft masterwork items--without having to have any ranks. They can also boost checks with spells like Heroism and Improvisation.

Basically, you don't need three. One Bard covers every single Craft skill ever.