PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Spell Point Question

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-30, 04:35 PM
Gonna quote two things

"Preparing Spells

With this variant, spellcasters still prepare spells as normal (assuming they normally prepare spells). In effect, casters who prepare spells are setting their list of “spells known” for the day. They need not prepare multiple copies of the same spell, since they can cast any combination of their prepared spells each day (up to the limit of their spell points).

For example, Boredflak the 4th-level wizard has an Intelligence score of 16. When using the spell point system, he would prepare four 0-level spells, four 1st-level spells (three plus his bonus spell for high Int), and three 2nd-level spells (two plus his bonus spell for high Int). These spells make up his entire list of spells that he can cast during the day, though he can cast any combination of them, as long as he has sufficient spell points."

and

"Bonus Spell Points and Bonus Spells
Any spellcaster who would normally receive bonus spells for a high ability score receives bonus spell points instead. In effect, the character can simply cast more of his spells each day. "

Am I misunderstanding something here, or did this variant just contradict itself?

Grooke
2015-03-30, 05:18 PM
I agree it looks confusing especially given that it says "receives bonus spell points instead".
However, you could take it to mean "instead of being able to cast bonus spells, he gets more spell points", and you still get to prepare more spells from you ability score. "Bonus Spells" and "Prepared Spells" would be two completely different things (and both affected by your INT score).

thecrimsondawn
2015-03-30, 05:36 PM
I agree it looks confusing especially given that it says "receives bonus spell points instead".
However, you could take it to mean "instead of being able to cast bonus spells, he gets more spell points", and you still get to prepare more spells from you ability score. "Bonus Spells" and "Prepared Spells" would be two completely different things (and both affected by your INT score).

That sounds very viable to me

In my mind, I picture sorcs should get the more spell points out of this system, while wizards get more spells.

It would greatly limit spells per day, but at the same time would make playing a god wizard so much easier.