PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Arena

True believer
2015-03-30, 05:35 PM
So i am going to play a PvP with a 10lvl Blood mangus !!!! I have to fight him with an arcane caster of the same level. Which way/class/ build do you suggest to go ???

I was thinking about a 10 lvl wizard focused in conjuration and use summon monsters as defense/offence mechanisms

daremetoidareyo
2015-03-30, 05:54 PM
evoker 6/force missile mage 4. arcane thesis- fell drain- twin spell, 12d4+12 damage per turn + 2 possibly lost levels. Or...fell drain cloud of knives....but then you need make attack rolls.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-03-30, 06:00 PM
evoker 6/force missile mage 4. arcane thesis- fell drain- twin spell, 12d4+12 damage per turn + 12 possibly lost levels. He'll be a wight in 2 rounds.

That's a questionable interpretation of how Fell Drain works.

I would argue it's one negative level per target, per spell cast. Not per magic missile, unless they are all directed at different targets.

GilesTheCleric
2015-03-31, 12:12 AM
evoker 6/force missile mage 4. arcane thesis- fell drain- twin spell, 12d4+12 damage per turn + 2 possibly lost levels. Or...fell drain cloud of knives....but then you need make attack rolls.

That's a questionable interpretation of how Fell Drain works.

I would argue it's one negative level per target, per spell cast. Not per magic missile, unless they are all directed at different targets.

Ephermeral_Being is correct. You can affect multiple targets with level drain, but the maximum levels drained per target per spell is a maximum of one as written, even for effects that last such as Melf's or Stinking Cloud. Now, twinning quickening, and repeating would work to get you more in a single round.

Vizzerdrix
2015-03-31, 12:40 AM
No matter what direction you build, make sure you win initiative.

And Enervation is always a good backup plan.

Frostthehero
2015-03-31, 01:15 AM
You definitely need to win initiative. So much can be done if you do.

Are you using standard spell duel rules, or is this an all out match?

I would recommend polymorphing into a hydra and fire blasting him for 30d6 damage. Even with a reflex save, I doubt he survives.

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-31, 01:25 AM
What kind of fight do you want? Do you want to stomp the carp out of him (super contingent spell wizard) or have a tense, even fight (bard or a skald)?

Karl Aegis
2015-03-31, 05:47 AM
The Bloods are allowing Man-Angus into their gang now? Is this a d20 Modern setting I don't know about? I would move to a different town where the Bloods can't find you or go into witness protection.

atemu1234
2015-03-31, 07:27 AM
You definitely need to win initiative. So much can be done if you do.

Are you using standard spell duel rules, or is this an all out match?

I would recommend polymorphing into a hydra and fire blasting him for 30d6 damage. Even with a reflex save, I doubt he survives.

This works fairly well. Though maybe him dying isn't the overall goal. OP, clarify please.

True believer
2015-03-31, 04:11 PM
It will be a fight to the death.
I need to kill him as fast as possible ( for story reasons)
All the official 3.5 sources are available to me
I dont want to go too much OP
I haven't decide yet neither the classes neither the type of caster i will use (blaster,Tank,Gish etc)

Is there any spell that will allow me to win the initiative ????

ComaVision
2015-03-31, 04:17 PM
I need to kill him as fast as possible ( for story reasons)
I dont want to go too much OP

Mmkay...

Is there any spell that will allow me to win the initiative ????

Nerveskitter

Vizzerdrix
2015-03-31, 05:51 PM
A +1 Eager, Warning spiked gauntlet, Imp. Init feat, hummingbird familiar and Nerveskitter. Open with a heavily metamagic'd ray of stupidity. Twined, repeating, the works. Then drop your summons next to him. Get that feat that gives summoned critters a stink cloud thingy.

And watch out for his homunculus. They have a nasty poison if I remember correctly. Web it or get it with tentacles or sick some mephits on it.

A darkness spell should keep him from using any scarification "Scrolls", but expect some form of Deus Ex Machina and/or cheese from Blood Drought. Remember that ANY form of accessing that ability draws an AoO so don't let him try to get away with biting his tongue to not get hammered.

Lastly, Don't bother trying to interrupt his casting unless you have something that can hit for a lot of damage.