PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Cleric / Warlock Multiclass

Theodoxus
2015-03-30, 08:52 PM
I'm thinking of making a Life Cleric of Ehlonna, and dipping into Warlock, and was wondering if Ehlonna would be considered an Archfey for the pact. My google-fu is weak, and I've found nothing conclusive - but I jumped from 3.5 to 5th, so the whole Feywild thing of 4th isn't well known to me.

I'm definitely going Life, and I'm definitely going Archfey - just hoping some god of Greyhawk counts as both, to alleviate the whole 'serving two masters' dilemma of a cleric/warlock mix.

Kane0
2015-03-30, 08:55 PM
You might be able to get around it by saying your warlock fey patron is a high priest of ehlonna that happens to be a fey. Womt solve all your problems, but gets you most of the way there.

Edit: or a fey creature ehlonna considers sacred

bloodshed343
2015-03-30, 08:56 PM
Corellon, Selune, and Lolth are the gods/goddesses of the fey, though Lolth is eeeeeeeevil.

Yorrin
2015-03-30, 09:06 PM
Fey are much less defined than the deities, but as a DM I'd definitely allow Elhonna to count as a Fey for the purpose of Pact-making.

rollingForInit
2015-03-31, 07:59 AM
Does it make sense to have the Patron and Deity as the same figure? Why would it have both? Unless you just want the Warlock features without really having a pact.

I think it'd be much more interesting if you served a deity as a Cleric, and then had a pact with one of its servants. Perhaps there's an Archfey that acts as a vassal for the deity, or an angel. An "Angel of nature" could probably fit the Archfey theme. So you'd be serving your deity as a higher calling, but at the same time you'd be taking direct orders from the angel. Where the deity probably never cares about you or communicates with you, the vassal/angel could easily work you to the extremes if you wanted. It'd visit, push your forwards, force you into quests, etc. And most likely, your patron would be ordering you to do things that wouldn't be expected of you as a Cleric.

Joe the Rat
2015-03-31, 08:22 AM
A lot of it is the "Serving two masters" aspect. Why would your deity continue to imbue you with its power when you're working with/for another team? (This of course gets into the whole would your deity know aspect - D&D deities are not all-knowing, Divination and Knowledge Domain notwithstanding).

Wanting to have your Deity and Patron the same, or at least in alignment on the same team a bit less messy in this regard. You do the servant of the divine pocket full of miracles cleric schtick, but also have a source of investiture that provides a different yet thematically aligned set of abilities.

One argument you could have against this is that most deities already have a way to grant power to others: clerics and to an extent paladins. They don't need to muck about with Warlock-style deal-brokering to put power into the world. If this argument comes up, deity + high-powered servant of deity who is also Archfey is a viable solution.

Gnaeus
2015-03-31, 08:26 AM
Other possibilities (Not specifically covered in 5e but thematically appropriate to early editions):
1. Some of the archfey are probably very close in power to demigods. Especially if you are planning to be mostly warlock, just splashing cleric, Titania or Oberon or someone may be "divine rank 0" and capable of granting low level cleric spells.
2. If you believed strongly enough in the fey, your belief might be enough to grant low level spells.
3. If you worshiped the fey as an embodiment of the principle of life, you might be a cleric of an ideal that you just happened to call a fey.
4. Some god might grant spells to the followers of the fey for his/her own reasons, like a bargain with the fey, an attempt to elevate the fey to demigodhood to get a celestial ally, a maneuver against some other god, or some other reasons.

I'm planning to do the same thing as a fey/nature cleric, and my DM was OK with the concept, although he hasn't told me which of the above is actually going on with my character.

holygroundj
2015-03-31, 09:30 AM
my first character in 5e was a GoO warlock/tempest cleric. I would start by saying, DM fiat is absolutely required to make this work, since your cleric abilities are granted by a divine being.

For me, I started cleric and through personal tragedy (my character lost her son) made a deal with an otherworldly being to be restored, as she was dying on the battlefield.

In our world, her god was a fish god. She never lost her cleric abilities, and Each level I thought about who had helped her the most throughout the previous level in order to identify where her increase of power would come through next.

i worked extensively with my DM through all of this. at level 8 she was a 4/4 warlock, cleric. Since I knew I would miss about a month of play due to surgery, we designed the sessions so that she was getting crazier and crazier about her child, eventually being offered another bargain: In exchange for summoning the GoO into the material plane, she would be given her son and released from her pact.

At this point I handed the character to the DM. I don't know what decision will be made. When I came back, I switched to Barbarian for group dynamic reasons.

Cleric/warlock is a great combo for versatility. You give up spell slots and spell levels, but being able to do a little bit of everything was totally worth it.

Bonus points if your DM reads the invocation section as total level instead of levels of warlock class. The only Caveat my DM made to that section is that you can only switch invocations when taking a warlock level.

Yagyujubei
2015-03-31, 09:36 AM
Does it make sense to have the Patron and Deity as the same figure? Why would it have both? Unless you just want the Warlock features without really having a pact.

I think it'd be much more interesting if you served a deity as a Cleric, and then had a pact with one of its servants. Perhaps there's an Archfey that acts as a vassal for the deity, or an angel. An "Angel of nature" could probably fit the Archfey theme. So you'd be serving your deity as a higher calling, but at the same time you'd be taking direct orders from the angel. Where the deity probably never cares about you or communicates with you, the vassal/angel could easily work you to the extremes if you wanted. It'd visit, push your forwards, force you into quests, etc. And most likely, your patron would be ordering you to do things that wouldn't be expected of you as a Cleric.

yeah just throwing my lot in with this. you don't form a warlock pact with a full on diety, you do it with mid level management so to speak

BW022
2015-03-31, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking of making a Life Cleric of Ehlonna, and dipping into Warlock, and was wondering if Ehlonna would be considered an Archfey for the pact. My google-fu is weak, and I've found nothing conclusive - but I jumped from 3.5 to 5th, so the whole Feywild thing of 4th isn't well known to me.

I'm definitely going Life, and I'm definitely going Archfey - just hoping some god of Greyhawk counts as both, to alleviate the whole 'serving two masters' dilemma of a cleric/warlock mix.

Something you'd need to discuss with your DM, but Elhonna is not an arch fey. However, there is nothing that says that a warlock worships the fey in their pact. The PHB is clear that such relationships can include binding, force, negotiations, trickery, etc. Perhaps your character studied under a powerful fey (say a satyr, nymph, etc.) who worships Elhonna. Perhaps your character made a deal with a fey in order to recover a powerful artifact for your church? Perhaps you converted a powerful fey to Elhonna? Maybe Elhonna blessed you and sent a powerful fey to look after you?

However, Ehlonna herself is not an arch fey. She is a letter goddess. Then again, she could likely turn into a fey is she wanted to. Certain fey do worship her.

Sullivan
2015-04-02, 03:03 AM
I think this is very do able in 5e. The way my group is handling the no LG requirement for paladins is that their god just has to be the same alignment as the pally. That said, just pick a god that is not so big on the whole "rules" thing. I mean Lolth needs some clerics and I'm sure she'd be into the idea of throwing in some extra powers for the right price, a soul maybe?