PDA

View Full Version : "Swordsaged"

tadkins
2015-03-30, 09:01 PM
I've seen you guys post that in various threads. What does that meme mean, where does it come from?

Vhaidara
2015-03-30, 09:02 PM
it was Ninjaed, and then ninjas were replaced with swordsages.

It comes from when you are writing a post, and someone else gets in and answers before you. Like a ninja swordsage.

tadkins
2015-03-30, 09:03 PM
it was Ninjaed, and then ninjas were replaced with swordsages.

It comes from when you are writing a post, and someone else gets in and answers before you. Like a ninja swordsage.

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Skya
2015-03-30, 09:05 PM
When someone post the same thing you were gonna say while you are typing, so you didnt see they answered and your post just say the samething as theirs.

Before it was "ninja'd", but when Tome of Battle came out, people realise the swordsage was better at being a ninja than the ninja, so it become a joke.

And i'll probably be swordsaged while posting this.

edit: live exemple of being swordsaged :P

goto124
2015-03-30, 09:35 PM
What is a Swordsage in essence? It sounds like a magic fighter, but apparentally not?

SaintRidley
2015-03-30, 09:37 PM
What is a Swordsage in essence? It sounds like a magic fighter, but apparentally not?

A ninja (or a monk, if you remove the arms) with a somewhat stupid and misleading name.

danzibr
2015-03-30, 09:40 PM
One of the 3 classes from Tome of Battle which uses what's called Sword Magic. It's like magic but martial people use it :O

Of the 3, they're the skill monkeys. They can make good ninjas, and there's a variant that makes them like monks.

EDIT: Swordsaged ;)

torrasque666
2015-03-30, 09:41 PM
Of the 3, they're the skill monkeys. They can make good ninjas, and there's a variant that makes them like monks.

A suggestion of a variant adaptation mind you.

danzibr
2015-03-30, 09:49 PM
That's true. And very easy to overlook. Like the good version of Necrocarnate.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-03-30, 11:36 PM
Meh. Take Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, and specialize in Setting Sun. Boom, monk.

Galen
2015-03-30, 11:38 PM
It is. They fight, and they have access to supernatural abilities. Ergo, magic fighter.

nyjastul69
2015-03-30, 11:39 PM
The reason I don't use swordsaged is because they are commonly banned, Ninja's usually aren't.

Andezzar
2015-03-31, 01:45 AM
The reason I don't use swordsaged is because they are commonly banned, Ninja's usually aren't.I wouldn't say commonly. Or have you asked a representative sample of all gaming groups to come to this conclusion.

Swordsaged is also very fitting because the class grants an increasing bonus to initiative which makes going before others easier. I don't think the Ninja class gets that.

nyjastul69
2015-03-31, 01:57 AM
I wouldn't say commonly. Or have you asked a representative sample of all gaming groups to come to this conclusion.

Swordsaged is also very fitting because the class grants an increasing bonus to initiative which makes going before others easier. I don't think the Ninja class gets that.

Sorry, should have said often, not commonly. ;) The only thing I've ever seen top it on a ban list is psionics. No need for the snarkiness dude. I was trying to make a joke. I should have used an emoticon of some sort. My bad.

Firechanter
2015-03-31, 02:34 AM
Recently, for our new game, one of my buddies tried to make a Swordsage. In spite of a very generous PB 36, he wasn't satisfied with the result. Main problem was feat starvation. In the end he rolled a Factotum.

Ashtagon
2015-03-31, 03:53 AM
A ninja (or a monk, if you remove the arms) with a somewhat stupid and misleading name.

So, a monk is a ninja whose arms have been cut off? I know monks are a weak class, but

"It's only a flesh wound!"

Socratov
2015-03-31, 04:11 AM
The reason I don't use swordsaged is because they are commonly banned, Ninja's usually aren't.

I wouldn't say commonly. Or have you asked a representative sample of all gaming groups to come to this conclusion.

well, the point still stands because when people read ToB they often react "Ehrmagerd wtf is this anumu weeaabbuuu BS", when in fact it is the only remotely balanced way to play martial characters and casters next to each other. Until they get over here on these forums and get a quick education on why it's not anime bullexcrement and in fact one of the best things happening for balance in the game between casters and non-casters.

nyjastul69
2015-03-31, 04:18 AM
well, the point still stands because when people read ToB they often react "Ehrmagerd wtf is this anumu weeaabbuuu BS", when in fact it is the only remotely balanced way to play martial characters and casters next to each other. Until they get over here on these forums and get a quick education on why it's not anime bullexcrement and in fact one of the best things happening for balance in the game between casters and non-casters.

To be clear, I love all splats, ToB included. :) My attempts to sell it to local gamers have fallen upon deaf ears however. Oh well, their loss.

Socratov
2015-03-31, 04:28 AM
To be clear, I love all splats, ToB included. :) My attempts to sell it to local gamers have fallen upon deaf ears however. Oh well, their loss.

Preach on! We here at the GITP have a dream: that one day each splat gets the love it deserves (except for the part of truenamer-that was just done horribly).

nyjastul69
2015-03-31, 04:44 AM

Quoting oneself is not cool. I quote myself because I really didn't think that an emoticon or blue text was necessary. Yeah, there's a thing for that(insert relevant meme here). I did it, oooops. But seriously folks, SS *are* more commonly banned than Ninja's. Oooops, I did it again! ;)

atemu1234
2015-03-31, 07:36 AM

It's the Tome of Battle equivalent to the PHB Monk, with a bit of Rogue and Ninja thrown in.

I'm fairly certain this has already been stated for the most part, but I do this on purpose so I could be swordsaged in a swordsaging thread.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-03-31, 08:41 AM
Preach on! We here at the GITP have a dream: that one day each splat gets the love it deserves (except for the part of truenamer-that was just done horribly).
Are you kidding? Tome of Magic deserves the most love at all!

(Rewrites are labors of love, right? They count.)

PsyBomb
2015-03-31, 10:09 AM

Love playing in DSP-enabled tables, for pretty much this reason

Felyndiira
2015-03-31, 10:21 AM
I still have yet to find a (irl) DSP-enabled table. Most DMs where I live seem to be in love with the PFS format, and even the ones that like DSP don't include it for the benefit of simplicity for newer players. Either that, or they are playing 5e.

Though I would say that Tome of Magic also got a good deal of love - a third party rewrite of binder AND a Paizo official version in the upcoming splatbook. All we need is a re-write of Anima Mage and all is well. (What? Shadowcaster, you say? What is this shadowcaster? What is a truenamer? Can I eat it? :smalltongue:)

Vhaidara
2015-03-31, 10:29 AM
What? Shadowcaster, you say? What is this shadowcaster? What is a truenamer? Can I eat it? :smalltongue:

Both of these are actually forthcoming. Truenaming from the Playground's own Fax Celestias with Tzocatl (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?380602-Dreamscarred-Press-Tzocatl-The-First-Language-Open-Playtest), and Ssalarn has hinted at a Shadowcasting port he's planning when he has time.

Kish
2015-03-31, 10:31 AM
Sure is! Teleports, throws fire, walks up walls, stabs people simultaneously with real weapons and with phantom weapons that do ice damage; don't let anyone tell you it's not magical.

Socratov
2015-03-31, 10:58 AM

The only problem with Tome of Magic is how fantastically the writers botched the Truenamer beyond any hope of repair. An erratum was written for the other dodgy parts of ToM, but they didn't bother with the real issues of hte Truenamer. Which is a pity because it sounds like the bestest most awesomest thing ever. Out of all the classes the Truenamer is the one truly unplayable broken class out there.

thompur
2015-03-31, 11:02 AM
Quoting oneself is not cool. I quote myself because I really didn't think that an emoticon or blue text was necessary. Yeah, there's a thing for that(insert relevant meme here). I did it, oooops. But seriously folks, SS *are* more commonly banned than Ninja's. Oooops, I did it again! ;)

Thank you Britney. ;-)

Forrestfire
2015-03-31, 11:09 AM
Sure is! Teleports, throws fire, walks up walls, stabs people simultaneously with real weapons and with phantom weapons that do ice damage; don't let anyone tell you it's not magical.

The issue there is that by calling it "a magical fighter", you're implying that the guy who runs as fast as olympic sprinters without breaking a sweat, can jump out of planes without a parachute and expect to be fine, and eventually wade through lava with ease is not magical.

Every D&D character is magical. Swordsage just gets more fun things to do with it.

nedz
2015-03-31, 11:15 AM
There is also Monked — which is similar to being Swordsaged or Ninja'd except that the previous post was several hours (or days) ago.

Andezzar
2015-03-31, 11:17 AM
Also Sword2sage (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sage), not Swordmage (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mage).

danzibr
2015-03-31, 11:58 AM
There is also Monked — which is similar to being Swordsaged or Ninja'd except that the previous post was several hours (or days) ago.
This is what happens when you leave your browser open in the Reply to Thread page and then afk.

Admittedly I've been Monked before.

Elkad
2015-03-31, 02:48 PM

Which is kinda silly. ToB is the first splatbook any campaign should add. Print out the maneuver cards and even the Crusader refresh mechanic is simple. Just draw a card, just like you learned in Go Fish in preschool.

Chronos
2015-03-31, 05:01 PM
Whether ToB should be banned or not doesn't change the fact that it very often is.

Judge_Worm
2015-03-31, 09:22 PM

Not to be confused with fighting-manned in which the post was several years ago, and on a different forum.

ImperatorV
2015-03-31, 09:24 PM
Not to be confused with fighting-manned in which the post was several years ago, and on a different forum.

You mean Truenamered? It took him that long to make his posting utterance.

Judge_Worm
2015-03-31, 09:29 PM
You mean Truenamered? It took him that long to make his posting utterance.

I think its only Truenamered if its the first or last post of a thread. None of the other posts are worth taking anyways.