PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Paladin Prc that still smites evil, etc.

Yogibear41
2015-03-31, 12:22 AM
Other than the shadow-bane inquisitor is there any paladin prestige class (preferably ones that advances casting) that more or less keeps the majority of the paladins abilities minus the LG alignment. Thinking someone who became so consumed in their hunt for evil that they forsook some of their paladin vows in order to indiscriminately eradicate evil in all its forms. Like a gray guard, but much much grayer. Ha.

NeoPhoenix0
2015-03-31, 12:42 AM
The closest i can find is Exorcist of the Silver Flame from the Eberron Campaign Setting. They require you to be good but don't really have a code. They don't build off a paladin in a way that would let you use it's abilities while not LG though.

Troacctid
2015-03-31, 12:53 AM
There's Vigilante. Smite anyone you've seen committing a crime, regardless of their alignment.

JeenLeen
2015-03-31, 03:58 PM
I don't recall it's specifics, but there's a Tome of Horrors (I think that's the right book; the horror-theme one with taint mechanics) PrC that is essentially someone who becomes so focused on hunting evil that they don't care about being evil themself. That class might have a smite mechanic or some way to carry over a Paladin's, but I don't recall.

It would fit the flavor, though.

squiggit
2015-03-31, 04:05 PM
Corrupt Avenger from Heroes of Horror (p. 88) I think is what's being referred to. It has bonus class features if you have ex-paladin levels.

They can't smite evil though (in fact their smite-esque mechanic doesn't work undead or on things with the evil subtype) and require corruption to take it.

Grooke
2015-03-31, 06:23 PM
Ordained champion (complete Champion) 3/5 casting Full BaB, can be evil and has its own smite mechanic which is often considered better than the paladin's (costs turn attempts and can smite anything, Nightstick stacking = smite all day, every day). Also has other good melee class features.

Bone Knight from Five Nations (Eberron). 9/10 casting, 3/4 BaB, no alignment restriction, advances turning. You loose paladin smite (but you keep the Ordained Champion's), and the PrC is badass for melee (metric ton of immunities). Adds evil flavor (though doesn't have to be evil if you want to play it on another character).

Both are also great melee Cleric PrCs

Edited for clarity

ShurikVch
2015-04-01, 10:18 AM
Hospitaler (Complete Divine) - full BAB, 7/10 casting, any nonchaotic

Pious Templar (Complete Divine) - full BAB, separate casting, Smite not restricted

Fiend Slayer (Dragon #287) - full BAB, separate casting, Smite Fiends, require to be non-evil and non-good; usually require to have "Favored Enemy: Any evil outsider", but ex-paladins not just hand-wave it, but trade one their ex-paladin level to 1st level of Fiend Slayer

Note: feat Strength of Conviction allow to Smite enemies which are not of required alignment

Also, do you aware of paladin variants of different alignment?
So, if your new alignment still compatible with your deity, maybe you will be allowed to switch class?
Dragon #310 have: NG Sentinel, CG Avenger, LN Enforcer, and N Incarnate; LE Despot (Dr#312) gets Smite Chaos

Yogibear41
2015-04-01, 12:01 PM
Where is the Strength of Conviction feat from? Nvm found it in exemplars of evil.

ShurikVch
2015-04-01, 12:10 PM
Where is the Strength of Conviction feat from?
Exemplars of Evil.
Unfortunately, it's heavily restricted (1/day, and no attack bonus)