PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Pact and Invocations: Magical Girl Edition (PEACH)

Ilorin Lorati
2015-03-31, 01:04 AM
Partially inspired by this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17900949&postcount=1322), partially by Selina's Tome of Radiance, and partially from a particularly cruel player who wanted to be a mahou shoujo, comes... this monstrosity. I don't know. Help. Please.

The Radiant

Your patron is a burning creature of light, a sparkling beacon of hope in a dark universe or a flame for unknowing moths. Though light is usually good, this is not always the case, and only rarely is it as kind as it appears at first blush. They make pacts with mortals to drive back darkness and bring light to the dark places of the world; sometimes in literal but usually in more esoteric ways. Creatures of greater purpose, those capable of making Radiant pacts are countless as the stars themselves, but notable examples include the Archangels Michael and Lucifer, Kyubey (of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica), the Naaru (of World of Warcraft), and Princess Celestia (of My Little Pony).

Expanded Spell List
The Radiant lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock list for you.

Spell Level

Spells

1st
Burning Hands, Color Spray

2nd
Continual Flame, Scorching Ray

3rd
Daylight, Fireball

4th
Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere, Wall of Fire

5th
Flame Strike, Raise Dead

Shining Blessing
Starting at 1st level, you channel the power of your patron when you cast spells or cantrips. When you use a spell or other ability that would deal force or fire damage, you may instead deal radiant damage. You cannot deal necrotic damage through any ability gained from warlock levels or cast through warlock spell slots; instead you replace the damage type with radiant in all cases.
In addition, you gain a token of your pact instead of a spell component pouch or an arcane focus; this token is usually a piece of jewelry or an ornate rod of some type, but may take nearly any small, compact shape. You may use this token as an arcane focus. If you lose your token, you can perform a 1-hour ceremony to retrieve your token from anywhere or receive a replacement if the previous one was destroyed. You may perform this ceremony during a short or long rest. The token is destroyed if you die. If you take Pact of the Tome, treat your token as your Book of Shadows for its features.

Incandescent Nimbus
Starting at 6th level, you may surround yourself in a nimbus of light. You may use your reaction when an enemy attacks you, causing all enemies attempting to attack you or any ally adjacent to you disadvantage to their rolls. Additionally, enemies standing next to you when this ability is activated must make a Constitution saving throw against your warlock spell save or take radiant damage equal to your Charisma modifier. This ability lasts for one round.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

The Light Protects
Starting at 10th level, you gain advantage on saving throws against effects that deal necrotic damage and resistance against necrotic damage. You may grant this ability to a nearby ally for one minute as a reaction when an enemy attacks them with an attack that would deal necrotic damage, but you lose use of this ability during and afterwards until you finish a short or long rest.

Radiant Finale
Starting at 14th level, you can consume a creature within 60 feet of you in light as an action, curing them of their ails or branding them with your power. When used on an ally, this heals them for your Charisma modifier plus the damage from the last attack they took this encounter and are no longer blinded. When used on an enemy, they must make a Constitution saving throw against your warlock spell save or take 5d10 radiant damage plus two points damage per successful instance of radiant damage previously dealt to them this encounter. All other enemies within 10 feet of them must make a Dexterity saving throw against your warlock spell save or be blinded for one minute and take radiant damage equal to the amount the initial target took.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you complete a long rest.

New Invocations

Regenerative Touch
You can cast cure wounds at will, using your warlock spell slot level, without expending a spell slot. You must complete a long rest before you can use this invocation on the same creature again.

Armored Boon
Prerequisites: Pact of the Blade feature
You may create one set of armor as an action or when you call your pact weapon. The armor you call is treated as ether Breastplate or Chain mail (your choice when called) for the purposes of its combat statistics. You are proficient with this armor and it comes into existence being worn, but the heaviest of armors take the longest to call; if you call a heavy armor you cannot take a bonus action this turn. You can only call armor this way during combat; if you do so both your called weapon and armor is dismissed at the end of the encounter. You may transform magical armor using the same method you transform a magical weapon. When your weapon is dismissed for any reason the armor is dismissed as well.

Empowered Chains
Prerequisites: Pact of the Chain feature
When you forego one of your attacks to grant your familiar an attack, add your Charisma Bonus to its attack rolls and damage rolls. This additional damage may be necrotic damage or the attack's standard damage type.

xyianth
2015-03-31, 01:45 AM
Your spell list and features all look good, flavorful without being overpowered. The armored boon invocation looks fine, though it is worse than armor of shadows without feats/multiclassing. The regenerative touch invocation is terrible though. In general, the 1/long rest spell invocations are limited to potent spells that would be abusive in pact magic slots. Cure wounds is a terrible spell to begin with, casting it 1/long rest is never worth an invocation slot. (If you want to cast healing spells as a warlock, dip 1 level as a cleric; you get heavy armor and cure wounds/healing word as spells prepared so you can cast them using pact magic) If you want the ability to heal out of an invocation, I'd grant an ability similar to lay on hands except healing limit is cha mod*warlock level.

Strill
2015-03-31, 08:25 AM
Same thing Xyianth said. Looks good overall except for Regenerative Touch, which is terrible.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-03-31, 08:34 AM
Yay, feedback!

Well, my original choice was to have Cure Wounds be an expanded spell list spell, but my kneejerk reaction to it was that it would have been abusive. I'll figure something out.

I'll tweak Armored Boon to provide proficiency with the called armor, and that should clean it up compared to the null effective action cost of mage armor.

xyianth
2015-03-31, 10:03 AM
In fairness, some of the printed invocations are just as terrible (I'm looking at you Thief of Five Fates), so regenerative touch does actually fit the Warlock class printed material. I just assume that if you go to the trouble of making homebrew, you would like it to actually be used. :smallsmile:

Ilorin Lorati
2015-03-31, 10:14 AM
I just got finished cleaning up the invocations, and Regenerative Touch should be much more usable now. I ended up making it usable once per creature (I still wanted it to primarily be used as an emergency rather than standard OOC healing), and it no longer consumes spell slots when used this way. Someone that wants more thorough curative powers can still multiclass.

xyianth
2015-03-31, 11:06 AM
Since it no longer uses a spell slot, you should mention what spell level it is when you cast it. If it is stuck at 1st level, it will get traded out eventually. (which isn't necessarily bad)

Ilorin Lorati
2015-03-31, 11:33 AM
Intent clarified, thanks. It should scale fine into mid game, then fall off a bit later.