PDA

View Full Version : Nocturne Lemur [MitP II] (and spell to go with it)

Icewalker
2007-04-12, 04:05 PM
The Nocturne Lemur is often taken as a familiar (bonus: +30 ft. darkvision)

Nocturne Lemur
Tiny animal
HD 1d8 (4)
Speed 20 ft. (X squares); Climb 20 ft.
Init: +3
AC 15 (+2 size +3 dex); touch 15; flat-footed 12
BAB/Grp +0/-11
Attack Bite +3 (1d4-3)
Full-Attack Bite +3 (1d4-3)
Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Sphere of Shadow 1/day
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., Light Vulnerability
Saves Fort +1 Ref +5 Will +1
Abilities Str 4, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 2
Skills Balance +11, Climb +11, Hide +11 (15 in dark), Move Silently +5, Spot +5, Listen +5
Feats Weapon Finesse (Bite), Awareness
Environment Thick forests or jungles
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 1/6
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral

The creature sitting on the wizards shoulder appears to be a sort of lemur, a very dark furred animal curled up on behind his right ear. It's ears perk up when you move, and it looks over at you with almost disconcerting glowing yellow eyes. As the wizard steps out of the shade, it hisses slightly and climbs down over his shoulder onto his back, still shaded at the angle he is standing.
Nocturne Lemurs are often used by wizards as familiars, as they grant +30 ft. darkvision as a familiar. (If the owner of the familiar already has darkvision, it gets an additional 30 ft added to what they already have.)
Nocturne lemurs live in very thick forests or jungles, where they can stay in deep shade even during the day. If they ever have to enter sunlight, or possibly hide from a predator, they hide within their sphere of shadow spell.

+8 racial bonus to climb and balance checks, and a +4 on hide checks when in darkness. The Nocturne's use their dexterity modifier instead of their strength modifier on climb checks.

Light Vulnerability (Ex): The eyes and bodies of nocturne lemurs are vulnerable to normal sunlight and anything above a dim light source. Illumination equal to the light spell or brighter imposes a -1 penalty to the lemur's attack rolls. Additionally, exposure to full sunlight causes 1 hit point of damage per minute to any unprotected ones.

NEW SPELL:
Sphere of Shadow
Evocation [Darkness]
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0, Clr 0, Brd 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: close
Target: one creature of tiny or smaller size or location
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (if targeted on unwilling creature)
Spell Resistance: yes

This spell creatures a very small sphere of shadowy mist. It is not technically "magical" darkness, and can be seen through by darkvision. However any non-magical light source will not remove it. Sunlight, lanterns, etc, will not brighten the area. If targeted at a location, the sphere remains there. The spell can also be targeted on a creature of size tiny or smaller, which engulfs the creature in darkness, and moves with it. If they have darkvision, they can see out of the sphere. This also provides the creature with concealment (20% miss chance). This spell is often used by wizards trying to protect their familiar from direct sunlight, as it can be used to protect a creature with light vulnerability.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 04:54 PM
Perhaps "night lemur" or "nocturne climber."

Matthew
2007-04-13, 07:36 PM
Seems fine; I think I agree with Fax that a less ominous name might be more suitable for an Animal Type.

Icewalker
2007-04-13, 08:25 PM
Actually I asked if anyone could think of a better name in the MitP II thread, but yeah, it needs a less ominous name. I like Nocturne Climber, particularly that first part.

Nocturne Lemur?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-13, 09:51 PM
Sounds apt.

Vaynor
2007-04-14, 03:40 PM
I like this, seems like a good familiar for a necromancer.

Icewalker
2007-04-14, 03:44 PM
Yeah, it'd be a fun necromancer or warlock familiar, if they got them (isn't there a feat which lets you?). What do you think of the familiar ability and the spell? balanced?

Vaynor
2007-04-14, 03:50 PM
Yeah, it'd be a fun necromancer or warlock familiar, if they got them (isn't there a feat which lets you?). What do you think of the familiar ability and the spell? balanced?

Yup, +30 feet darkvision seems pretty equal to +2 on reflexes. And The spell, while pretty useless for other uses, fits this perfectly. Ways to improve the spell is the change a little of the fluff I think. A globe of darkness is a little weird, but a shadowy mist or something might look a little cooler. Just seems like a perfectly spherical globe of darkness hopping around would look stupid.

EDIT: Also, since the wizard gets darkvision and such, this would be good to protect spell component pouches from harm, with the 20% miss chance and all.

Icewalker
2007-04-14, 04:07 PM
Yeah, handy. Shadowy mist sounds like a far better description than a sphere of solid darkness, and it'd look cooler. Updated!

sigurd
2007-04-20, 09:14 PM
A 20% miss chance on a 0 level cantrip with a duration measured in hours per level is really powerful. You might want to remove that - the small size should already give them an armor benefit.

Also I think for the 3rd word of the spell description you meant 'creates'.

I like the combination though.

Icewalker
2007-04-21, 11:35 PM
Ah, missed that typo, yeah. fixed.

The reason I think it is ok as a 20% miss on a cantrip is that it only applies to creatures of size less than small, so no PCs. Not too handy cept as a utility spell. The lemur doesn't need the miss chance, it needs it to avoid the sun.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-23, 10:23 AM
Halfling or Gnome wizard casts reduce person on himself, and is suddenly a valid target. Might want to make it: "Target: Tiny or smaller Animal or Magical Beast touched."

Danu
2007-04-23, 12:05 PM
Interesting little critter, man. I'll vote yes on this one, no problem.

One slight thing, though... it seems like it has too many skill points. A 1 HD animal would only have 4 skill points, and you've given the creature what looks like 8. Does it have any other racial skill bonuses?

You could keep the same bonuses by giving it Alertness as a bonus feat.

Icewalker
2007-04-23, 03:37 PM
I'm not positive about the bonuses, they could be wrong, yeah. Looks like I put it with 2 ranks in move silently, 3 in listen, and 3 in spot. If it should be 4 instead, I could just add the alertness feat. But then wouldn't it have an extra feat?

I'm just going to lower spot and listen by 2 each. That'd balance it out.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-23, 05:49 PM
You could always give it Awareness as a bonus feat. A lot of animals and magical beasts get it as such.

Icewalker
2007-04-23, 06:03 PM
Not sure on the rules for adding feats. If it can be added to the total with no problems, that'd be better.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-23, 07:00 PM
Bonus feats are pretty much, "It needs this feat but it doesn't qualify, so I'll add a superscript B and call it a bonus feat. Done."

Danu
2007-04-23, 08:16 PM
Well, since the creature doesn't actually qualify for Weapon Finesse, you should make Alertness it's base feat (from it's frist HD) and Weapon Finesse a bonus feat.

A bonus feat is basically a feat you want the creature to have, but that it doesn't necessarily qualify for. If you check the Monster Manual, you'll notice a lot of animals with Weapon Finesse that don't actually qualify for it. In the errata, they fixed that by making Weapon Finesse a bonus feat for all those animals, and gave the animals additional feats.

Edit: Didn't see Fax's post. We said pretty much the same thing.

Narmy
2009-12-23, 01:22 PM
Actually, this creature exists in the real world.

It is called an Aye Aye.

http://www.pennypengo.com/Aye-Aye_Photos/images/icon_ayeaye_psd.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/04/0419_050419_ayeaye.html

http://monsterrebellion.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/bam-super-nature-god-damn-worlds-strangest-creatures/

http://animal.discovery.com/guides/endangered/mammals/aye-aye.html

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/59f/ed3/59fed359-ecc8-4e66-ac60-

http://www.kidcyber.com.au/topics/ayeaye.htm

I was planning on making this little critter anyway. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-23, 01:24 PM
Two and a half years, dude. Two and a half years. Be more considerate when disturbing the dead. :smalltongue:

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from “the dead.” If a thread has fallen to page three and hasn’t been posted in for a month and a half, don’t post to it. Start a new topic if you want to discuss the subject.

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-23, 04:42 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread necromancy is frowned upon here. Please review the Forum Rules.