PDA

View Full Version : Best spells to duplicate with limited wish?

gadren
2015-03-31, 02:05 AM
I'm currently playing in a 3.5 game, and the party found a magic item that can cast limited wish once every ten days.

So, naturally, I want to compile a list of the best Paizo and WotC spells that can be duplicated with limited wish. Suggestions?

Troacctid
2015-03-31, 02:20 AM
It's good for situational spells that you wouldn't normally prepare, but can instantly win an encounter if the circumstances line up. Like, is the evil wizard casting a summoning spell? Interrupt it with a perfect summons and see how he feels when the fiends he was going to summon are replaced with celestials that immediately turn and attack him.

It's also good for spells that have long casting times, because it's always a standard action. Geas is an excellent example--normally it takes 10 minutes to cast, which means you can basically only use it against an enemy who's incapacitated, but limited wish lets you cast it as a standard action, so you can take an enemy out of a fight instantly and with no saving throw.

Tvtyrant
2015-03-31, 02:22 AM
Unhallow for Necromancer wizards. Pay 300 XP and no GP for the effect.

Max Caysey
2015-03-31, 02:26 AM
Favor of the Martyr

jiriku
2015-03-31, 02:45 AM
A lot depends on what the party can already accomplish under its own resources, and what the caster level of the item is. Things you can't do at by any other means are especially good choices, while a seemingly strong effect can be a poor choice if several party members can already produce it. Certain effects are really cool only if the item has a very high caster level.

Here are some of my favorites:

Normally a slow cast:
awaken, legend lore, raise dead, nature's rampart, move earth, hallow, unhallow

Often a good emergency effect:
heal (from the adept list), sheltered vitality, favor of the martyr, surge of fortune

dextercorvia
2015-03-31, 07:58 AM
I find it is nice for getting your primary healer back on his feet in the case of emergency, so I think of spells like Panacea, Break Enchantment, and Stone to Flesh. Unless you had done some heavy divination, you probably wouldn't have prepped those yourself, if the Cleric was available.

I've used Limited Wish to grab both Surge of Fortune and Arcane Fusion off list on a Wizard build in a TO challenge before, but that might get kind of expensive XPwise for everyday play.

Psyren
2015-03-31, 09:39 AM
It's also fast - letting you cast various long spells as a standard. Break Enchantment for instance normally takes 10 rounds to cast, but LW can do it in one.