PDA

View Full Version : Variant Master of Masks?

Azanor
2007-04-12, 04:14 PM
I've been lurking on the boards for a while now, but I have a problem that I hope you gurus can solve for me.

In my current game there is an NPC organization inspired by the Master of Masks prestige class from Complete Scoundrel. The prestige class is fine for the spellcasting members of the order, but for the non-caster types the prestige class downright sucks. Normally this wouldn't be something I would worry that much about, but a non-casting PC in my game will possibly join the organization (ninja dipping into monk or rogue for perform). He will do it for roleplaying reasons, but I don't want to stick him with a prestige class that would gimp him.

So here is my question - is there a way to "fix" the Master of Masks that would be more attractive to non-caster types and how would you balance it? Both versions will exist in my game.

I was thinking along the lines of losing the bonus caster levels and giving it rogue BAB progression instead, but something seems missing.

Any suggestions?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 04:18 PM
Change "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" to "+1 level of existing class features."

Now its good for everyone!

Azanor
2007-04-13, 12:18 AM
Ouch, this post went off the first page quickly :smallamused:

Well, I made a decision what I will be doing with the prestige class so I'm posting it here for anyone who might be interested.

I'm splitting it into two variants (both slightly specific to my campaign):

Masked Manipulator (Caster variant)

I keep the entry requirements as-is but add te following: "Must be able to cast 1st level arcane or divine spells".
The spellcaster progression also changes from the current setup to +1 caster level at every even level of the prestige class (2, 4, 6, etc.) giving a total of +5 caster levels instead of the current +4

Masked Agent (Non-caster variant)

I keep the entry requirements as-is but add te following: "Knowledge Arcana 2 or Knowledge Religion 2".
The BAB of the class changes to the rogue progression
The additional spellcaster levels falls away
Gather Information, Search and Sense Motive are added to the list of class skills and the skill points per level increases to 6 instead of 4
The Archmage and High Priest masks in this variant does not gain the +2 CL bonus while being worn.