PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Highest INT score for Wizards

Pippin
2015-03-31, 05:49 AM
Hello,

I plan to play an Incantatrix and am looking for all the possible ways to boost my INT score, except maybe through Polymorph any Object or aging.

18 base score
+2 (Racial)
+5 (Lv4, Lv8, Lv12, Lv16, Lv20)
+5 (Wishes)
+4 (Persisted Visage of the Deity, Greater, available with the Arcane Disciple feat)
+8 (Persisted Necrotic Empowerment)
Total = 42

Would you know a persistable spell that would grant me a luck/morale/insight/untyped/w.e bonus on INT ?
Thanks a bunch.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-31, 05:55 AM
You get +6 enhancement from items.

Pippin
2015-03-31, 05:56 AM
You get +6 enhancement from items.
Necrotic Empowerment already gives +8 enhancement.

Kraken
2015-03-31, 06:07 AM
Try here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403964-Hunting-down-Int-Bonuses)and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?266107-Cranking-up-int-pre-epic). Edit: also, why the aversion to aging? At level 20 you should be keeping shapechange up around the clock, making your physical base stats irrelevant. You can stave off death indefinitely once venerable by using polymorph any object to turn a rock into a person, then using the steal life spell from the Book of Vile Darkness - anesthetize the rock/person in some way before proceeding if you're so inclined, regardless once PAO wears off they'll merely be a rock again, and no worse off.

defiantdan
2015-03-31, 06:09 AM
18 base int.

+2 racial bonus: (gray elf, or something).

+4 deformity bonus: infect yourself with warp touch (BoVD), which has an immediate onset. If the results don't please you, use an amulet of second chances (MIC) and try again tomorrow.

+1 untyped bonus: locate and get pooped out by Worm of Minauros (FC2 magical location).

+5 untyped bonus: level ups.

+5 inherent bonus: wish or wish-like item.

+4 untyped bonus: persisted greater visage of the deity half-fiend form (SpC, obtained from competition domain).

+8 enhancement bonus: persisted necrotic empowerment (LM).

+2 alchemical bonus: be a mushroom powder addict (BoVD), as you can mitigate all the negative effects.

+3 untyped bonus: venerable age.

+1 Faustian Pact

+4 profane Bonus, Ally Possesion

Then whatever cheese you'd like from using the artificer's item alteration infusion.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-31, 06:19 AM
My bad, without looking up the spell, I didn't know it was an enhancement bonus.

Pippin
2015-03-31, 06:54 AM
+4 deformity bonus: infect yourself with warp touch (BoVD), which has an immediate onset. If the results don't please you, use an amulet of second chances (MIC) and try again tomorrow.
Hmm that looks great but then, either I have to craft the amulet, or my DM will have to allow me to find and buy it.

+2 alchemical bonus: be a mushroom powder addict (BoVD), as you can mitigate all the negative effects.
How exactly can you mitigate all negative effects? Even so, that seems to force you to take it every hour or so, and that should be costly?

+1 Faustian Pact
Could you elaborate a bit, I've no idea what this is?

+4 profane Bonus, Ally Possesion
Isn't this a bad option? I gain +4, but am now the slave of someone else.

Pippin
2015-03-31, 06:56 AM
Try here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403964-Hunting-down-Int-Bonuses)and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?266107-Cranking-up-int-pre-epic). Edit: also, why the aversion to aging? At level 20 you should be keeping shapechange up around the clock, making your physical base stats irrelevant. You can stave off death indefinitely once venerable by using polymorph any object to turn a rock into a person, then using the steal life spell from the Book of Vile Darkness - anesthetize the rock/person in some way before proceeding if you're so inclined, regardless once PAO wears off they'll merely be a rock again, and no worse off.
How interesting, thank you!

Edit: sorry for the double post, I thought it would automatically merge.

atemu1234
2015-03-31, 07:19 AM
Could you elaborate a bit, I've no idea what this is?

Faustian Pacts were a system printed in Fiendish Codex II. It involves selling your soul to a devil, but let's be frank, since when can a devil kill a properly made wizard?

Isn't this a bad option? I gain +4, but am now the slave of someone else.

Not necessarily. You aren't supposed to be under its control, and IIRC all outsiders with the evil subtype can supply it. So if you go Improved Familiar, get an Imp or something, tell it to possess you, then suddenly you've got the +4 bonus at the cost of a familiar. And by definition, a familiar is on your side.

Pippin
2015-03-31, 08:44 AM
Faustian Pacts were a system printed in Fiendish Codex II. It involves selling your soul to a devil, but let's be frank, since when can a devil kill a properly made wizard?
It reads:

In general, benefits granted by Faustian pacts are balanced by the recipient’s inability to be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected.
That's a gamble.

Not necessarily. You aren't supposed to be under its control, and IIRC all outsiders with the evil subtype can supply it. So if you go Improved Familiar, get an Imp or something, tell it to possess you, then suddenly you've got the +4 bonus at the cost of a familiar. And by definition, a familiar is on your side.
Ok that sounds interesting, where exactly can I find more on this subject?

Maglubiyet
2015-03-31, 08:53 AM
A lich gets +2 Int, if you want to go that route.

ben-zayb
2015-03-31, 09:20 AM
If you're an undead and Dragon Mags are fine, the Fell Energy Spell metamagic gives your GVotD and Necrotic Empowerment additional +2 bonuses each.

Wacky89
2015-03-31, 09:52 AM
Ability Enhancer from Dragon#325 adds another +2 to each stat from visage of the deity.
I dont know if there is a way to make necrotic empowerment a transmutation spell.

ben-zayb
2015-03-31, 10:02 AM
Ability Enhancer from Dragon#325 adds another +2 to each stat from visage of the deity.
I dont know if there is a way to make necrotic empowerment a transmutation spell.

I think there's a Transmuter ACF for that.

Pippin
2015-03-31, 10:20 AM
Yeah I'd rather not use magazines, and I'm not undead (though I do plan to persist Veil of Undeath ^^)

I'd still love to know a bit more about how one can use the mushroom powder 24/7, and also where to read how the Ally Possession thing works ^^

thethird
2015-03-31, 02:14 PM
mushroom count as vegetable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/majorCreation.htm)?

Pippin
2015-03-31, 02:20 PM
mushroom count as vegetable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/majorCreation.htm)?
Scientifically speaking, they don't.

Also, the book says you get penalties for using this drug 2+ times per day, like getting paralyzed at the third time or something.

Necroticplague
2015-03-31, 02:23 PM
read how the Ally Possession thing works ^^

Fiend Folio Fiend of Possession prestige class level 5 ability (Ally or Enemy) allows it to bestow a +4 profane to an ability score. Fortunately for you, it doesn't get the ability to make you do anything until level 6, just ride along and give you bonuses or penalties. Just Planar Bind a Fiend of Possession.

Killer Angel
2015-03-31, 02:41 PM
Hello,

I plan to play an Incantatrix and am looking for all the possible ways to boost my INT score, except maybe through Polymorph any Object or aging.

Judging by this thread, you have already gone past PO, and you entered successfully TO realm...

edit: But maybe it's just me. :smallwink:

pwykersotz
2015-03-31, 03:19 PM
I have a link in my sig. It's worked well for me.

Pippin
2015-03-31, 05:15 PM
Fiend Folio Fiend of Possession prestige class level 5 ability (Ally or Enemy) allows it to bestow a +4 profane to an ability score. Fortunately for you, it doesn't get the ability to make you do anything until level 6, just ride along and give you bonuses or penalties. Just Planar Bind a Fiend of Possession.
Thanks a lot for the reference! Yes it seems that I don't even need a familiar for this, just a Lv5 Fiend of Possession, so Planar Bind, lesser will do the job.

Now I got all my questions answered, but the mushroom power trick.

Tvtyrant
2015-03-31, 10:35 PM
You could always magic jar into something smarter than you. Elder brain body, mindrape it into turning itself into a lich, then add all of your other bonuses. Starting at 30 helps a bit.b

torrasque666
2015-03-31, 10:43 PM
You could always magic jar into something smarter than you. Elder brain body, mindrape it into turning itself into a lich, then add all of your other bonuses. Starting at 30 helps a bit.b
Doesn't Magic Jar only give you physical scores?

Tvtyrant
2015-03-31, 10:56 PM
Doesn't Magic Jar only give you physical scores?

I have been using this incorrectly for years...

Zanos
2015-03-31, 11:51 PM
You can PAO into a Sarrukh for 30 base, though. Since the highest you can get Base without template/race shenanigans is 25(18+2+5), that should be at least a +5 and frees up your race to human for a bonus feat, probably.

Taking Reserves of Strength will definitely allow you to PaO into forms with 18 HD, and MIGHT allow you to PaO into any form who's CL you can reach depending in interpretation. Not sure of valid targets in those HD ranges with higher than 30 int, though. I suppose PaO is on OPs no-no list, but it'd still be interesting to find the valid form with highest possible int.

bekeleven
2015-04-01, 01:49 PM
UMD DC20 to wear Horseshoes of Flame (Savage Species). +10 untyped bonus to int for 21 hours a day.

Chameleon provides a further +6 but it looks like you can't spend the levels.

Pippin
2015-04-01, 03:13 PM
UMD DC20 to wear Horseshoes of Flame (Savage Species). +10 untyped bonus to int for 21 hours a day.

Chameleon provides a further +6 but it looks like you can't spend the levels.
Interesting, thank you for your input.

With the current elements, I'm already at INT 54 though. I don't think my DM could take anymore bonuses at this point xD

Metahuman1
2015-04-01, 03:49 PM
Stick the Fire Elf element variant from Unearthed Arcana on a Grey elf for a +4 racial bonus to Int.

Yael
2015-04-02, 01:54 AM
Chaste Life from Book of Erotic Fantasy adds an untyped +2 to any score.