PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 5e] IC - Gem of the Pidgeon Keeper

Fabs
2015-03-31, 07:41 AM
This is how you start.

For the past two weeks, the five of you have been travelling together. Though at first glance you form a rather unconventional group of people, the reasons for you to band are quite simple: to adventure, to hone your skills, to put yourselves to test, to honor your name, your family and your mentors. To discover ancient treasure and put it up to good use. To thwart evil where you find it and bring back light and hope to the lives of the common folk.

After a few days on the road, maybe you regret coming together. As you start to get to know each other a little better, those annoying habits begin to get under your skin.

The pious attitude of the palading, the gnome's endless lectures on maps and proper cartography, the Genasi's unexplainable enthusiasm for rocks and their different shapes or even Doon's unsavory taste in rodents. It all builds up to a constant annoyment.

But then again, maybe it is just those irritating quirks that make you grow fond of each other. Seeing flaws and vulnerabilities in your companions might relief your insecurities about your own shortcomings.

And so, you travel together. The elf paladin has convinced all of you to follow her to Moravolta where she needs to meet an old aquaintance. It appears important to her.

And then, you arrive at the free city of Moravolta, heading towards the Broken Heart tavern.

In this chilled evening, you find yourselves at the threshold of Norman Street, the doorway to a neighborhood officially named Saint Helena's Hope Alley. Though it is more commonly known as "The Pit". In the dangerous and dirty city of Moravolta, the Pit is the worst of neighborhoods. This is where all of the underground canals leading the city waste into the ocean gather into a main pipe before meeting open waters. Therefore, the air is heavy with a foul stench.

On this particular evening, the city folk look a bit more festive. Decorations and flags are being tied to posts and building walls for tomorrow is the day of the annual mud-wrestling festival, a city holiday in honor of Krivilyx, worshiped as Goddess of War. It is believed that by putting out a good show for the Goddess, she will hold her barbarian spawns from ransacking the city.

Since the moment you stepped into the city, Ms. Stonefinder looks positively displeased. She holds a map of this area and it's completely wrong. She paid good gold for this map and feels disappointed to be in possession of such an amateur job.

At this point, I would like everyone to give me a Constitution Saving throw. DC 10.

and Doon, I need you to give me a Dexterity Saving throw DC 11.

meltodowno
2015-03-31, 07:49 AM
Doon walked through the city shrewdly taking everything in as she did, and making specific effort to memorize dark side streets in case they needed to make a rapid escape later.

Con Save [roll0]
Dex Save [roll1]

Fabs
2015-03-31, 07:57 AM
Doon, as you take careful notice of the narrow ill-lit alleyways, a woman at a window two stores above empties a bucket full of fish guts into the street and you barely manage to dodge the splash.

But though your cloak remains unsoiled, you fall victim of the most common affliction in this area. The hiccups.

This disease is cause by the foul odor and will naturally pass in [roll0] days.
As long as you have the hiccups, you have disadvantage in all Stealth checks.

Edge
2015-03-31, 08:58 AM
Sharinden takes in the sights of the festival preparations with an arched eyebrow. The combination of the Moravoltan's joviality and the brightly coloured decorations are rather alien to the frontierswoman, as are the throngs of people on the streets. The crowds cause Sharinden to nervously readjust her pack several times as the group works their way through the streets towards the Pit.

"How do people not get lost all the time in these places?"

Con Save: [roll0]

DarkSetzer
2015-03-31, 10:11 AM
Ivridda walks solemnly behind the others, holding the map she purchased in front of her at arms length above her head, a discerning look on her face. "Blasted fools, how do they justify something like this. Did no one verify their markings? How can they be allowed to sell such filth." She pulls a quill out from her pocket and begins jotting down notes on the map, occasionally glancing up at the streets for a moment before turning back to the map, noting where it is wrong and what to correct.

Sharinden's question manages to catch the gnomes attention, finally prompting Ivridda to look away from her map and her companion, "A good map, that's how you don't get lost. But it seems these lot can't be bothered with such things, so I'm as amazed as you that they can find their way." She turns her attention back to the map and furiously jots down a small sketch of their surrounds. She mutters under her breath, "Though I'm more amazed they can live with this odor."

[roll0]

Samshiir
2015-03-31, 10:29 AM
Ihlaina didn't like the situation at all. This area of Moravolta had the opposite type of atmosphere that she was used to and was comfortable with, but she had received a message from Sarelwyn, the younger brother of her fiancé Vaelwyn.

Much like the street she found herself on, she didn't trust Sarelwyn at all. The fool didn't even show up for his own brother's funeral. She found it completely ironic that she was heading to a place called the Broken Heart Tavern to meet up with him.

To answer Sharinden's question about how people manage to not get lost, Ihlaina replies, "People that grow up in places like this are always lost, they just never realize it."

[roll0]

meltodowno
2015-03-31, 12:20 PM
As the fish guts tumbled out of the window, Doon took a half step back to avoid the splash, and gave a glare that could kill to the person who had done the throwing, her hand even reflexively reached for one of her daggers before she managed to restrain herself.

"-hic- I hate this place. All wrong."

She kept up with the others, though her distaste for the area was ever increasing.

Torillan
2015-03-31, 02:08 PM
As he walked along with the others at a quick pace, mainly to keep up, Warben almost reflexively steps out of the way of the descending fish guts without even looking up.

"Watch yourselves, ladies!" he says. Turning to Ivridda, he says calmly, "Now, now...calm yourself, woman. We'll find where we need to be...eventually". Even so, he scans the darker alleys and windows, just in case.

He is glad that he has some companions to travel with, as his loneliness is lessened.

Torillan
2015-03-31, 03:08 PM
Warben continues to scan for any potential dangers (even fish guts).

[roll0]

Fabs
2015-04-01, 10:23 AM
Though Warben's sharp eyes note nothing out of the ordinary, his nose is violated by the horrible stench rising from the underground sewage canal.

Warben needs to roll a Constitution Saving throw. Just roll a d20 and add +1 which is your Constitution modifier. The DC is 10.

Torillan
2015-04-01, 01:37 PM
Though Warben's sharp eyes note nothing out of the ordinary, his nose is violated by the horrible stench rising from the underground sewage canal.

Warben needs to roll a Constitution Saving throw. Just roll a d20 and add +1 which is your Constitution modifier. The DC is 10.

Warben does his best to keep down the bile trying to emerge from his innards.

[roll0]

Fabs
2015-04-02, 06:57 AM
Warben, as well as Ihlaina, resist the horrible smell, while the rest of the party is affected.

The group continues it's way down Norman Street and a little bit further down you see, 50 ft. ahead of you, a group of thugs hassling a street vendor. "Give it up, old man. You owe us money! one of them kicks the man to the ground who falls pleading for mercy.
Two of the thugs wear hoods and you cant quite see their faces, but from the figure of their bodies, they don't appear human.
The one who seems to be the boss, is clearly a Gnoll.

Ihlaina and Warben: You also notice an archer hidden atop one of the buildings 65 feet away from you. He seems to be part of the group of thugs on the lookout in case authorities, or anyone else for that matter, try to intervene.

The rest of the group do not see the archer.

This is how long Ivridda and Sharinden will suffer with the plague.
Ivridda: [roll0] days.
Sharinden: [roll1] days.

Torillan
2015-04-02, 12:57 PM
Warben mutters to no one in particular "Company on the roof..." and proceeds to use the cover larger members of the group to slip unseen into a shadowed alcove along the street, carefully getting his bow ready to use.

[roll0]

Samshiir
2015-04-02, 01:42 PM
"Hey!" Ihlaina yells at the thug boss, "Get away from him, you ugly beast!"

Ihlaina will attempt an Intimidation check to draw the thugs attention away from the old man, and possibly Warben too. She also gets ready to draw her rapier and buckler, but doesn't do so yet.

Intimidation: [roll0]

meltodowno
2015-04-02, 02:35 PM
Doon's eyes narrowed in barely concealed anger at the presence of the gnoll.

"Filthy mutt" she muttered under her breath, as she unfastened her cloak to give her more mobility, set herself ready for what was to come.

The others might posture and maneuver and try to avoid a fight, but she knew the nature of Gnolls. She prepared herself to strike when the beast turned on them.

Prepared action: If one of the thugs makes an aggressive move, shoot the Gnoll with an eldritch blast.

Edge
2015-04-02, 03:22 PM
Sharinden narrows her eyes and draws her maul, moving forward until she's standing next to Ihlaina, giving the paladin a curt nod before she speaks.

"I think you and your friends want to find somewhere else to be, gnoll."

DarkSetzer
2015-04-02, 05:51 PM
Ivridda almost drops her map in shock, she takes a hesitant step backwards, behind the others. Her snake, Basil, slithering out from under her coat and down her leg. "Oh B-b-boy, just what we n-n-need. Can we...not, get involved?"

Ivridda will prepare to take the dodge action, should any aggressive actions take place. Her familiar, a poison snake, will present itself for combat if needed.

Fabs
2015-04-02, 07:12 PM
The group of thugs flinch at the paladin's command to step away.

they quickly size up your group and decide to back away and try their luck picking on defenseless folk elsewhere.

Even the archer atop the building puts away her bow and disappear from sight.

The gnoll growls a curse under his breath as they turn to leave.

You notice they all wear wristbands with a hazel brown feather, a trademark of the Bleeding Owl gang, a feared group of organized criminals.

If anybody really wants to, you can still make attacks. You get a surprise round and advantage in your attack rolls and initiative. You can also let them go and no blood will be spilled today. full xp will be awarded for peaceful solution.

meltodowno
2015-04-02, 08:22 PM
As the thugs start moving away, Doon clenches her fists so tightly they begin to whiten.

"They will only hurt -hic- someone else."

She pulled her cloak back closed again.

"But we could spend a lifetime in the city and not stop every petty crime. Everyone needs to make coin."

DarkSetzer
2015-04-04, 07:05 AM
"We -hic- have other matters to attend to. -Hic- Let's not -hic- insight unnecessary violence. I rather dislike -hic- fighting." Basil slithers back into its home, the left inside pocket of Ivriddas coat, and the gnome jots down a small note on her map /thugs - street violence - dangerous/ before rolling the map up and returning it to its case. "Shall we press on? Or would you prefer to -hic- spend rest of our day stamping ou -hic- out street thugs?"

Samshiir
2015-04-04, 07:21 PM
"You're right, we *could* spend a lifetime stopping petty crime, but that wasn't my intent." Ihlaina explains to Doon as she approaches the street vendor and offers a helping hand. "Are you all right, sir?"

Ihlaina discreetly spreads magic- Corellon's Light- into the man as she picks him up from the ground.

Lay on Hands for 1 point as she helps the man up.

Fabs
2015-04-06, 10:30 AM
"Thank you, kind ladies.. Thank you all very much." The old man raises himself still grasping for air. "You must all be angels sent from heavens.. Well, except perhaps for the little one." He sends a dirty look towards the halfling. "My name is Robert Gales. Though I dress in the garments of common folk, I work for the Baron's Estate. Head-chef in charge of shellfish, yes indeed. I'll have you know I am not a man who forgets my debts. If you're ever in need of culinary excellence -even you.." He stares at the halfling again. Please, come and find me at the Baron's manor.

He then picks up a cart loaded with indistinguishable sea critters and carries on.

The group is now facing east and standing at a crossroads where Norman's Street meets Unbowleling Avenue.

Taking a turn to the north in the avenue (which is in fact a very narrow way where people can't help but rub shoulders) you see the colorful banner of the Broken Heart tavern, along many more drinking and eating spots.

Taking a turn to the south, you see a sign saying Izimpede Gambling Emporium.

Crossing the narrow avenue, heading on east you see two other colorful signs: Never-knuckle Arms and Catleburry and Sons Mapmakin, Kartografists and Cauligraphy. (yes, it is misspelled on the sign)

It is now around 6pm.
You are all probably a little bit hungry, a little bit thirsty and a little bit tired.
It is a bit more cold than warm autumn night and a big full moon gives the streets dim light, even without torches.

Samshiir
2015-04-06, 12:08 PM
Ihlaina patiently and politely shoulders her way through the crowd in the direction of The Broken Heart Tavern.

Upon entering, her narrowed elven eyes quickly adapt to the change of lighting from the bright, late evening evening street outside to the relative darkness of the tavern. She scans the building, taking note of the people found inside, but is especially keeping an eye out for her contact, Sarelwyn.

Perception check to spot Sarelwyn: [roll0]

meltodowno
2015-04-06, 01:07 PM
Doon follows in and heads straight to the bar.

"Do you have any purified water. I have quite the -hic- thirst. If not do you have any fruit beverages?"

She took a moment to size up the crowd, looking for anyone who might try and cause trouble.

[roll0]

Torillan
2015-04-07, 08:22 AM
Doing his best to ignore the glares of the old man, Warben bites his tongue and decides silence is the best policy now. He follows the others down the street to the tavern. He joins Ihlaina at her side, scanning the room as he gets his bearings.

[roll0]

"Do you see him, Ihlaina?" he asks quietly.

DarkSetzer
2015-04-07, 12:59 PM
Ivridda follow meekly behind the others into , nervously glancing behind her with each step. Perhaps I've gotten in a little over my head here. She lets out a hefty sigh, and tries to size up the room as she takes out a fresh piece of parchment and begins jotting down notes and quick map of the room.

[roll0]

Samshiir
2015-04-07, 04:05 PM
"Do you see him, Ihlaina?" he asks quietly.

"No, but that isn't surprising knowing his line of work. It's similar kind of work that you're into, though, so I think you'll like him." Ihlaina replied with a voice that was half joking, half dead-serious.

Fabs
2015-04-07, 08:05 PM
Inside the Broken Heart tavern, you are greeted by the warmth of the fireplace and cheerfulness of song and dance. A band of gnomes play dancing music in exotic looking instruments while a slender half-elf girl dances in skimpy clothing. Patrons all around drink, talk, laugh and gamble their riches and sorrows away.

At the bar, a bartender looks puzzled at Doon's request. He says Ma'am, could you please speak in the common tongue? Whatever do you mean by.. "purified"? ..I'll Tell you what, have some ale on the house! He pushes a big jug towards the bird-lady spellcaster.

Then he looks at Warben, the halfling, looks right back at Doon and points to a sign where it says: To prevent pick-pocketing, we kindly ask our patrons to leave their halfling companions outside. We thank you for your cooperation -The Management.

The tavern bouncer looks distracted and a little bit drunk. If you pass a stealth check DC 9, you can remain inside unnoticed.

At the far corner table, sits Sarelwyn. Smiling confident, he waves at the group and arrange for more chairs around his table. Though his clothes look rather ragged, he seems well fed and not in immediate danger, which goes directly against what's expected of him. Ihlaina might feel something of pity towards him. For all his flaws, his mother was a human and did not raise him right.

A good mug of ale goes at 1 Silver piece, while a good meal is 5 silver.
For budget conscious customers, there's watered down cheaper drinks at 5 copper and a modest meal for 1 silver.

Samshiir
2015-04-07, 08:37 PM
Ihlaina sits beside Sarelwyn so as to avoid looking at his face. She did this because she didn't want to look directly into his eyes. They were of the Sothare bloodline and they reminded her of....

Focusing herself on the moment, Ihlaina greeted Sarelwyn with proper elven etiquette. He was, at the very least, partially and elf. "Suilad, Sarelwyn."

Ihlaina orders a meal for herself as well as an ale for Sarelwyn, herself, and one for every other member of the group.

"Now, what did you bring me all the way out here to Moravolta for, Sarel?"

5SP for a meal, and 6SP for ales. If an individual doesn't want the ale she ordered for him/her, its free game and is up for grabs.

meltodowno
2015-04-08, 02:25 AM
Doon looked the bartender back in the eyes.

"I see no halfling -hic- just my vertically challenged companion? You do allow short humans here, do you not ?"

[roll0]

Edge
2015-04-08, 06:57 AM
Sharinden smiles politely at the shellfish chef as he departs.

"You're -hic- too kind, Master Gales. We just did what any -hic- right-minded folk would've."

The genasi cracks a small smile and waves at the departing cook, slinging her maul back into her shoulder-sheath before following the others in the direction of the tavern.

Once inside the inn, Shariden fidgets uncomfortably at the press of bodies inside, quickly following Ihlaina to Sarelwyn's table once the paladin locates it. She smiles and nods her thanks to the elf for her ale, and takes as small sip as Ihlaina begins addressing the half-elf.

Fabs
2015-04-08, 02:39 PM
The bartender puts on a pair of spectacles and looks at Warben, sizing him up. [roll0]

Fabs
2015-04-08, 03:10 PM
Oh, I'm sorry about your condition sir. Growth impairment syndrome, eh? Quite a nasty affliction. Says the bartender apologetic. I have just the thing for you sir, it will make you feel better. He hands Warben a small thimble of ale.

When Doon, Warben and Miss Stonefinder proceed to the table to join Sharinden and Ihlaina, they arrive in time to hear the half-elf you were looking for.

My dear sister! (He doesn't have the right to call her that). I'ts so good to see you.. And you have so many friends! How nice. Please, everyone, find a seat, drink with us, enjoy a meal.. This is a night for celebration! He raises his mug of ale high, even if no one joins him in toast.

You see, Ihlaina.. You never thought I would amount to anything, right? But the reason I called you here is to tell you I have cleaned up my act and turned my life around!

His hair is unkept, his boots are a little muddy. His cloak has a big torn on the left side and his hood buckle is broken.. Still his eyes shine as he speaks very confident.

I would like you to know that I was nominated city marshal by the baron himself. He smiles proudly, but soon after he looks down and lowers his voice. Of course I was destituted for indecorous behavior and.. ahn.. what do you call it.. ah, yes. He changes his voice tone to a mockery one. Crimes of high treason against the State.. What a joke. He looks down for but half a second and then proclaims proudly But I held the title for a full week! He smirks and takes a sip of his ale. Well, actually it was 6 days and a half. But I got to wear a badge and all of that!

At this moment, a group of city guards walk in. Before you even notice, Sarelwyn ducks under the table and whispers Everyone stay calm! pretend I'm not here!

The guards walk around a little bit, dragging their feet halfheartedly patrolling the tavern. Then they turn around to leave.

Sarelwyn climbs back up and as if nothing of notice had happened, he continues his speech. Enough of praising my merits, right guys? Let's talk about us. I need you to smuggle me out of town.

He looks at the group like a lost puppy.

meltodowno
2015-04-08, 03:28 PM
Doon turned to Ihlaina, completely deadpan.

"Is this a joke, because I am still waiting for the punchline." she turned her attention back to Sarelwyn ".... and I suppose you don't have much coin left from your -hic- 'tenure' to pay us for our time?"

She reclined back into her seat, casting an appraising eye around the table before resting her gaze back on Ihlaina

"And you are about to tell us of some unspoken tie that forces you to honor this -hic- gentlemans request?"

She sighed heavily, knowing where this was likely heading.

Samshiir
2015-04-08, 05:28 PM
My dear sister!

"Please don't call me that." Ihlaina tells Sarelwyn in a very annoyed, monotone voice without looking at him.

It's so good to see you.

"Please don't touch me." Ihlaina grumbles as Sarelwyn hugs her.

You see, Ihlaina.. You never thought I would amount to anything, right?

"Right." Ihlaina nodded and agreed.

But the reason I called you here is to tell you I have cleaned up my act and turned my life around!

"I haven't heard that one before, dear 'brother'." Ihlaina said with extreme sarcasm, still not looking at him.

I would like you to know that I was nominated city marshal by the baron himself.

"How in the *elven curse word*?"

He smiles proudly, but soon after he looks down and lowers his voice. Of course I was destituted for indecorous behavior and.. ahn.. what do you call it.. ah, yes. He changes his voice tone to a mockery one. Crimes of high treason against the State.

"Please don't do that again." Ihlaina wore a look of disgust when Sarel used his mocking voice.

He looks down for but half a second and then proclaims proudly But I held the title for a full week! He smirks and takes a sip of his ale. Well, actually it was 6 days and a half. But I got to wear a badge and all of that!

Ihlaina remarkably has nothing to say to this one. Instead, she sits patiently with her jaw open in...amazement? wonder? dumbfoundry?

At this moment, a group of city guards walk in. Before you even notice, Sarelwyn ducks under the table and whispers Everyone stay calm! pretend I'm not here!

Ihlaina's expression is unchanged for another second, then she peers over her shoulder to see what her ex-future-brother-in-law was ducking from. Uhhh... She sighed audibly in slight frustration as she turned her head back to the table to rest it on two fingers between her eyes.

The guards walk around a little bit, dragging their feet halfheartedly patrolling the tavern. Then they turn around to leave.

Sarelwyn climbs back up and as if nothing of notice had happened, he continues his speech. Enough of praising my merits, right guys? Let's talk about us. I need you to smuggle me out of town.

He looks at the group like a lost puppy.

It was his lost puppy expression, the one very similar to that of which Sarel's half-brother used on her all the time, that Ihlaina refused to look at Sarel for.

It was very rare that Ihlaina showed her angry side, but Sarel had a knack of finding it. "Are you kidding me right now Sarel?!" The elven girl is speaking very loudly and very quickly. She doesn't seem to care who hears her. "You drag my friends and I all the way out here to bail you out of trouble?!"

(Doon) reclined back into her seat, casting an appraising eye around the table before resting her gaze back on Ihlaina.

Ihlaina shuddered as if something had suddenly pricked the back of her neck.

"And you are about to tell us of some unspoken tie that forces you to honor this -hic- gentlemans request?"

"What? No! *Elven curse word*, I have half a mind to go tell those guards out there where Sarel is and be done with the matter!"

Standing now, Ihlaina turns her attention to Sarelwyn, facing him completely this time. I know you are keeping something from us, 'brother'. You have better come clean with me, or you can expect to...to... Ihlaina was lost in thought, trying to think of something terrifying to say. *Arrgh*!

She allowed Sarel to speak. She was going to give him one last chance to explain himself.

Torillan
2015-04-08, 08:59 PM
Oh, I'm sorry about your condition sir. Growth impairment syndrome, eh? Quite a nasty affliction. Says the bartender apologetic. I have just the thing for you sir, it will make you feel better. He hands Warben a small thimble of ale.

Warben takes the thimble, looks at it, then at the barkeep, then back again at the thimble, back once more at the barkeep, shrugs, and then "chugs" the ale.

Warben joins the others, still pondering how anyone could think a thimble full of...well, anything...could be deemed enough for a halfling (or vertically challenged human, for that matter). His attention is quickly brought to the current conversation, and he tries to keep up with the rapid exchange.

DarkSetzer
2015-04-09, 06:09 AM
Ivridda sat alone at a table nearby the others, pouring over the map of the city she had, making corrections and more detailed drawings than what she had jotted down on the walk over. Basil poked his head out of her robes, keeping an eye on her surroundings for her. She was wholly engrossed in her work, and seemed to pay little mind to the offer being made.

Fabs
2015-04-10, 08:25 AM
Listen, you have to help me! The half-elf pleads. This city holds barbaric customs that we cannot stand for! He is now gesticulating with his hands in the air. Did you know that for the simple crime of.. what was it again? ..treason or trespassing or.. both, I think.. If one is trialed and convicted -like I was, they make you walk off a plank atop the clock tower to plunge into a horrible death in Sharkeel Bay! He looks desperate. I mean, whatever happened to the common rule of no swimming in shark infested waters? This is just absurd! Now.. If you are convicted of the same crimes in the noble northern city of Valorgrad -like I was as well, your sentence.. or my sentence in this case.. is just life in prison. Well, of course there's the added systematic torture and humiliation, but at least you get the everyday chance to try and escape!

He smiles again, and speaks now in his proud voice, holding one finger up as if giving a very complex explanation. You see, I've come to the conclusion that given the chance, a man should always choose where to be incarcerated! That, my new-found friends, is why you are going to smuggle me out of town so I can be arrested.

He looks hopeful. Then he adds. That and this, of course. He opens up his shirt revealing his chest.

Where his heart should be there is a strong red glowing, as if a powerful light source would be beneath his skin. It glows red and pulses spreading small red glowing veins throughout his shoulders and arms.

None of you have ever seen something like this. He quickly closes his shirt. The brief glance was not enough to ascertain if the glowing is from a magical or natural source. What all of you can tell for sure (automatic success): This is no illusion.

A cold city in the north, more than often covered in snow. Founded by a family of noble warriors, they are very proud of their military tradition. It's reputable as a lawful and safe city.

Samshiir
2015-04-11, 08:59 AM
Ihlaina's mind was suddenly split in half.

On one hand, she knew that Sarel was up to no good, because that was his life motto. She knew that if he was bailed out today, he would only get into the same kind of trouble, if not even worse trouble, tomorrow.

On the other hand, the markings he briefly revealed in his veins was unlike anything Ihlaina had ever seen before. Perhaps the situation was more dire than she had anticipated. She partially wanted to go somewhere to investigate what the marks meant, and Moravolta was not the ideal place to do so.

Without a sound, Ihlaina turned her gaze to her friends, as if to ask them their opinions on the situation.

meltodowno
2015-04-11, 11:06 AM
Doon shrugged.

"We could always cut it out and take the bounty for his head? I don't think they would be too bothered where the rest of him was."

She opened her cloak slightly, revealing the glint of knives tucked away.

"I might suggest you would be better served coming up with a reason why we should value your life enough to risk our own. As it stands you are telling us the cornerstone of your worth is embedded within your chest .... and should it remain there it seems integrally lacking in profitability for ourselves."

She leaned forward.

"So, I shall ask more directly, sir. What is in it for us ? And for your own sake, I humbly suggest not starting with making your demise sound both easier AND more profitable."

She turned to Ihlaina.

Truthfully, I would rather not get involved in the situation at all.
Defying a call for treason would leave us all in hot water
However, family is family.
Should you wish his escape, I will assist, but I will not be directly involved.

DarkSetzer
2015-04-11, 11:15 AM
Ivridda glanced up from the maps in time to catch a glimps of the glowing from the half-elf's chest.

Most fascinating... Remarkable, I wonder what that is.

Torillan
2015-04-11, 01:31 PM
Warben, still stung from the thimble of ale, listens intently to the man with the glowing chest. As the others weigh in, he nods.

"It's truly your call, Ilhaina. I think I can speak for all of us and let you know we've got your back...depending on what we do get out of helping him, of course", he says, winking at Doon.

Fabs
2015-04-11, 05:43 PM
Ivridda, who was at a different table from the rest of the group, is surprised by an individual sitting right besides her.

Hey there little girl, I find myself a bit hungry.
What say you sell me that pet snake of yours.. hmm.. delicious green goodie.. I'll give you 10 silver pieces for it.
His voice sounds like two stones grinding against each other.

It is hard to discern what race this particular fellow is from. He is larger and taller than the average human, has very hairy forearms, long greasy hair, a prominent bulging belly and yolk-yellow eyes.

He looks armed and deranged.

At the group table, the half-elf points out. I'm sorry to dodge your question, bird-lady, but it looks like your friend met Gustaff. He's not good news..

DarkSetzer
2015-04-11, 08:06 PM
Ivridda smiled and nodded at the strange man, "No thanks." She stood up, grabbed her map, and turned to head towards the others.

Samshiir
2015-04-11, 08:17 PM
Technically, he is not- and has never been- a family member.
Nor would I be particularly inclined to help him even if he was.

However, I'm not fond of leaving him to the cut-throats of this city,
despite what awful crimes he may have committed to get himself in this situation.

Also, this glowing
...thing...
in him, whatever it is, may be dangerous.
I know I'm going to regret this, but I think we should help him.

"Alright Sarel. Let's say we get you out of Moravolta. What then? Where do you plan to go?"

Fabs
2015-04-12, 09:18 AM
Gustaff, the big weird guy, won't take no for an answer. Give me the snake! Raaargh! He reaches out to hold Ivridda by her arm, not letting her move away.

Everyone should roll initiative, please.
Gustaff initiative is [roll0]
He will try to grapple Ivridda [roll1]
Ivridda has to make an acrobatics check to set the difficulty to the grapple!

DarkSetzer
2015-04-12, 09:20 AM
Acrobatics check: [roll0]
A nat 20 would have been my only chance.

Initiative: [roll1]

meltodowno
2015-04-12, 09:59 AM
[roll0]
Ten characters.

Samshiir
2015-04-12, 10:07 AM
[roll0]

CooCooCaChoo!

Edge
2015-04-12, 10:10 AM
Sharinden's eyes widen at the sight of Sarel's chest, and again as Gustaff decides he really wants to dine on snake. Her ale spills as she hurriedly stands up.

[roll0]

meltodowno
2015-04-12, 10:25 AM
Doon held her patience with the brute up until her made an aggressive move towards her travelling companion, when she raised from her seat and stepped back from the fight.

She used her telepathy to speak into Gustaffs mind.

I know what you are thinking, you really want that snake. Now I ask you this, do you
want it enough to draw the attention of someone who can be in your head ?
Do you know what damage I could do in here before you move to attack ?
Yes, now you're listening. Now you're thinking. And I suggest you think long and
hard before you next move, because if it is towards the snake, you will
inevitably be fished out of the river come morning.
Go back to you drink and you may yet live the night.

Intimidate [roll0]

Fabs
2015-04-13, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, I don't mean to make a habit of it, but I'll roll Warben's to speed things up.
Warbens initiative: [roll0]

Torillan
2015-04-13, 10:56 PM
Seeing Gustaff become more aggressive, Warben moves a hand to the hilt of his rapier as he slowly slides out of his seat.

Edge
2015-04-14, 09:22 AM
Sharinden moves to close the distance to Ivridda and Gustaff, reaching for her maul as she does so.

"Un -hic- hand her. Now," she states her calmly, her jaw set firmly and her maul ready to strike out if Gustaff presses the issue.

Sharinden will move up closer to Gustaff, and readies an attack with her maul. Trigger condition is Gustaff taking further aggressive action against any party member.

If Gustaff does trigger the readied attack:
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1] bludgeoning

meltodowno
2015-04-14, 09:25 AM
Doon raised her hand, continuing her withdrawal from Gustaff, and chanting something under her breath.

Prepared action: If he moves aggressive, fire and Eldritch blast
[roll0]
damage [roll1]

Fabs
2015-04-14, 09:36 AM
the lunatic Gustaff yells I will crush you all!! he draws a handaxe from his belt with one hand, while reaching out with the other hand to grab Ivridda by her neck.

He grunts loudly when Sharinden's blow hit him in the head Raaaarggh! and when Doon's eldrich blast burns one of his ears clean off, he yells Stupid magic bird! I will get you for this!!

He is still aiming for Ivridda, angry as they come. Amid all the fracas, the halfling rogue is in perfect position for a sneak attack (with advantage).

Torillan
2015-04-14, 10:57 AM
Amid all the fracas, the halfling rogue is in perfect position for a sneak attack (with advantage).

Warben, taking advantage of the thugs recklessness, steps toward him to plunge his rapier into Gustaff's exposed ribs.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Fabs
2015-04-14, 11:45 AM
As if for no reason at all, the villain drops to the tavern floor bleeding and groaning. Behind him, you see the sharp bloody tip of a rapier and its yielder - Warben, the halfling, stands heroic.

None of you could even see where the halfling hit the monster, or how he shuffled his way through every combatant and onto the enemy's back.

Two of the taverns workers approach, hands in the air, meaning to drag the fallen villain away.

Will the group allow the assailant to be removed to safety?

Fabs
2015-04-14, 05:21 PM
The two tavern workers drag the wounded mount of flesh out of sight. It seems they are used to doing it. Patrons sitting at the tables nearby loose interest soon after the fight is over. Though you can still hear one or two making remarks like "Since when are they allowing halflings in?" to which a voice in the crowd replies "That's just a vertically challenged person, you ignorant buffoon!"

The half-elf sitting at your table smiles. "Poor Gustaff.. Always the fool, that one... Now where were we again..? Ah, yes! you guys were about to say that you're going to help me. You'll be more than happy to, right?" He leans forward and speaks in a serious voice "To answer your questions.. Why shouldn't you just hand me over to the guards? Well, because they will kill me. And why should you be bothered if I die? Good question! Because if I die, I'm taking this entire world with me."

He takes a long sip of his drink and adds. "I don't expect you to take my word for it, of course. You can go ask the creator of this cursed stone yourvelves. Too bad he lives in Valorgrad, right?" He smiles. "Oh, wait. Actually, that's just the place you guys are escorting me to, isn't it? What a coincidence! Win-win all around."

meltodowno
2015-04-14, 08:15 PM
"Or"

Doon turned her attention back to the half elf.

"We can ignore your lies and buffoonery -hic- and leave you to your fate."

She finished off her drink, and turned to her companions.

"I don't know about you -hic- but I grow weary of this mummers farce."

And back to the half-elf.

"I shall make this clear for you. I do the job, I get paid. You have offered nothing in the manner of payment beyond offering more time in your insufferable presence. And stop seeking to leverage emotional blackmail, you are terrible at it."

She was visibly cross since the attack by Gustaff and by the tide slowly turning against Warben, previously she was willing to hear him out but the situation was rapidly growing out of control, and that was something she could not stand. It was ..... unprofessional.

Samshiir
2015-04-15, 11:28 AM
Ihlaina knew she would be cross with herself if she left Sarelwyn here to die. Sarel wasn't exactly her family, but Vaelwyn always cared for his half-brother, and so Ihlaina owed this much to him, at the very least.

Plus, her curiosity had gotten the better of her with this strange pulsing mark that Sarel had somehow possessed. She wanted to know more about it, and figure out if it was a risk or not.

"Alright, we'll get you out of here, Sarel. I warn you though, if you try anything funny, or if this is some kind of trick, you'll be on your own. Got it?" Ihlaina looked Sarel directly in the eyes while announcing her feelings on the situation.

She turned to her companions. "Now, does anyone have any ideas on how to get out of the city?"

Torillan
2015-04-15, 12:47 PM
She turned to her companions. "Now, does anyone have any ideas on how to get out of the city?"

Warben calmly wipes the blood from his rapier on Gustaff's clothes as he is dragged away. Then he turns to Ihlaina, smiles (somewhat "evilly"), and says "Why not through the front gate?".

With a flourish, he sheaths his rapier, hoping his demeanor has the intended effect...

meltodowno
2015-04-15, 03:23 PM
"Does he have to be in one piece ?"

She let out a sigh.

"You're best bets are, put him in something so revolting no guard would look closely when given the option - night soil perhaps, disguise him by beating the tar out of him till his face is unrecognizable, nail him into a coffin, or maybe you could requisition use of a catapult and just .... launch him out?"

DarkSetzer
2015-04-15, 03:25 PM
Ivridaa smiles at the group, Warben in particular, "Thank you so very much. A tad excessive if you ask me... but thank you none the less."

She gathered her belongings and stowed them away, "So far as getting out of this city goes... Perhaps we can take the underground route? I hear there is quite the extensive network of tunnels, though they may be dangerous."

Fabs
2015-04-15, 07:10 PM
The half-elf Sarelwyn thanks the party profusely for agreeing to help. He makes vague promises of vast rewards, but you know he won't be good on his word. He says he's been out in public a little longer than comfortable and slips an address to meet him in the morning before jolting out the tavern's backdoor.

At this moment, you all realize how tired you are.

The Broken Heart tavern offers reasonable lodging for 4 silver pieces a person.
You all feel worn down by the travelling and the day in the city. A good night of sleep or trance is something that you all crave.

There are options for those who aren't willing to part with their silver. You could try flirting with someone who already owns a bed, you could spend the night drinking and getting acquainted with the city folk or you could even sleep in the street, if you can handle the cold.
Cheaper lodging can be found, but comfortable dry beds are not guaranteed.

meltodowno
2015-04-15, 08:01 PM
Doon sat back down and gathered her thoughts now that Sarelwyn had gone.

"If we are to smuggle him out, the surest way would be Ivridaa's suggestion. No chance of him been spotted. I could potentially speak to my contacts and hire a smuggler, but that would take time for a messenger, and time is something we are lacking."

She looked over at Ivridaa.

"How confident are you that you can navigate the sewers? Do you have a map? Us birds aren't strong underground, so I'd be reliant on you."

She turned to Warben.

"You mention taking him through the front door, is that an option? How good are you at working disguises? Or do you think we could hide his presence some other way?"

She tapped a finger to her beak.

"I'm not strong enough to fly him out... are we sure they are checking everyone leaving? A peasants cloak could hide a multitude of sins."

Fabs
2015-04-16, 04:23 PM
After Sarelwyn leaves, Ihlaina retires to her room to get some meditation and rest.

The remaining of the group, Sharinden, Ivridda, Doon and Warben, linger a little longer to finish their meals and drinks. While eating, you overhear some tavern gossip.

It seems a famous city wizard named Turgoav turned himself to stone in a magical mishap and left a sizable treasure in his vault.

In another part of the city, for the past few weeks, a number of young women have been turning up dead. All the bodies are found intact, except for the hearts which are carefully removed. The murderer has been nicknamed the Valentines killer and one of the victim's family is offering a reward for his capture.

Besides that, a new crime syndicate has emerged with the purpose of taking down the Bleeding Owl gang. They are recruiting members to help in this endeavor.

meltodowno
2015-04-16, 05:16 PM
"I say, didn't one of you gent's have history with the Bleeding Owls? Perhaps we could do some .... freelance work for their rivals and take them down a peg. Heck might even give us a second swipe at the mutt from earlier."

Her eyes glinted with a hint of devilishness.

"I would so love to do something fun before we get stuck babysitting."

Edge
2015-04-18, 04:01 PM
"This Turgoav, the wizard... I wonder if he would be able to tell me anything about the obsidian?" Sharinden mutters to herself, before sighing. "I suppose we could look into dealing with the Bleeding Owls. Might help us find a safer route for getting this half-elf prat out of the city."

The earth genasi sits back down at the table, grumbling at her spilled ale.

"I would like to see if there's anything we can do about the wizard, see if he can tell me about this damn thing," she says, rubbing the obsidian necklace in her hand. "But if you'd rather see the Bleeding Owls dealt with... I suppose it would be helping the locals out."

meltodowno
2015-04-18, 04:12 PM
Doon thought on the suggestion a moment.

"No, I suppose we can go help the wizard. I don't know how to remove petrification, however. But it can't do any harm to go see if we can help, who knows, their may be a cure in his vault."

She raised from the table.

"Shall we ?"

DarkSetzer
2015-04-18, 05:12 PM
"-hic- Yes... Let's go see the wizard. I -hic- rather don't see the -hic- point in dealing with a gang. -hic- Unnecessary violence if you ask me. Another -hic- Gang will just take their place anyway I'm sure." Ivridda bit her lip, "Though I must agree -hic- that dealing with them would help the local populace. Much as I l-hic- loath fighting."

meltodowno
2015-04-18, 05:20 PM
Doon head up to the bar and got the keepers attention.

"I don't want another drink just yet, just some information. Do you happen to know where the famed Turgoav, I'd -hic- just love to do some sightseeing while I'm here."

Fabs
2015-04-18, 08:11 PM
Turgoav you say.. The bartender scratches his head. I think I heard the name before.. Yep, a real fancy-do, lives up in the nice part of the city. He gives you a crooked smile. Maybe if you were willing to part with a gold coin, I could point his manor in your friend's map there.. He points at Ivridda. It's really a bargain, considering what you'll get back from the old wizard's vault. He winks and smiles hopeful.

meltodowno
2015-04-18, 08:32 PM
She pushed across a gold piece with a single claw waiting for the intel before letting it go.

"Anyhow, I'm rather sleepy. Shall we reconvene in the morning ?"

She said, as she started making her way to her room.

[roll0]

Fabs
2015-04-19, 09:37 AM
The barkeep marks the location of the wizard's manor in your map.

After getting a good night's sleep, you feel free of the hiccups!

DarkSetzer
2015-04-20, 06:38 AM
Ivridda nods in agreement, "Indeed, a bit of rest would be good for -hic- us all" She ordered herself one last drink before retiring to her room.

[roll0]

Torillan
2015-04-21, 07:47 AM
Warben listens intently to the conversations, noting with interest the bit about the wizards treasure vault. He agrees that the group should see the wizard in the morning (after a good breakfast, of course).

"I should add, that the Bleeding Owls have an arrangement wherein any cargoes they move in or out of the city isn't taxed, which leads me to believe they are never inspected. If we could round up some gang insignias or somesuch, we could use that to smuggle the lad out, when the time comes" he says.

Fabs
2015-04-21, 10:31 AM
The group gets a good night of sleep. In the middle of the night, a thunderstorm rages outside. Good thing you're safe and sound in dry beds.

The following morning greets you with the cheerful singing and music of the mud-wrestling festival going outside.
As soon as you get out of bed you can see some of the city folk are already drunk.

The city's streets are covered in mud, even in the rich part of the city where you're headed to see the wizard.

Torguav's mansion in the nice part of the city is in fact a very weird house.
It looks like it was built upside down and then twisted into a swirling mess of bricks and wood planks, with odd towers sprouting here and there.
The main house lies in the center of a garden of thorn filled vines, surrounded by sturdy walls with a single main gate for entrance.

At the gate, you see a group of city guards. They are huddled together sharing a smoke and big dark bags under their eyes reveal an intense lack of sleep.

Seeing the group, one of the guards break away from the smoke huddle and draws near.

Hello, there. he says politely. Good seeing you folk here. I guess you come for the treasure vault, right? His voice is kind and you think he means well. I'm sorry, but we cannot let you come in, you see.. it's for your own sake, really. All the magic running loose inside that house is just bound to explode at any second.

As if on cue, you hear the blast of a fireball in the back and rising collumns of smoke.
The guard looks at the explosion disappointed, shakes his head and says:

At any rate, there's already a group of adventurers inside. They managed to persuade the baron into giving them written permission.. they've been inside for a week now. We think they got lost in some kind of magic maze. We only know they are still alive because every now and then we can hear screams of horrror.

he takes of his helmet and scratches his head.. so, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but no trespassing please.

meltodowno
2015-04-22, 10:05 AM
"Of course officer."

Doon looked a little disappointed, but nodded as she turned to the others.

"It doesn't look worth it. Too dangerous and take to long for payoff. Back to plan A?"

DarkSetzer
2015-05-02, 09:16 AM
Ivridda looks visibly saddened, "If it's in the interest of safety, then yes... I believe we should take up another endeavor. Best not to get mixed up in unstable magics, far to dangerous. Perhaps focus on figuring out how we are to leave? I would like to at least take a look at this network of tunnels I've heard about, should be a grand opportunity for map making."