PDA

View Full Version : The Mob Fencer

jjpickar
2007-04-12, 04:57 PM
Mob Fencer
The inside of a mob is a deadly place for anyone to be. When a warrior is surrounded and cut of from his friends he is in his darkest hour. For the Mob Fencer, this is where he thrives.
A Mob Fencer is a warrior who focuses on speed, quickness and multiple enemy combat. At lower levels he is a cautious and tactical warrior. Later he charges heedlessly into the fray confident that his many abilities will keep him safe.
Most Mob Fencers are human and half-orc, though a few dwarves and elves have danced to the deadly tune of melee before.
Mob Fencers are a cross between a fighter and a monk, they were originally intended to fix the Samurai class but ended up being something else entirely.

Abilities: Dexterity and Wisdom increase a Mob Fencers ability to survive through A.C.. Strength empowers his melee attacks.
Hit Die: d8
Skills: Fighter +Tumble, Balance, Spot, Listen and Sense Motive.

BAB:Fighter
Fortitude:Good
Reflex: Good
Will: Bad
1st level: Cleave, A.C. Bonus, Mob Dodge
2nd level: Wide Cut
4th level: Uncanny Dodge
5th level: +1 A.C.
6th level: Whirlwind Full Attack

8th level: Improved Uncanny Dodge

10th level: Evasion, +2 A.C.
11th level: Improved Whirlwind Full Attack

13th level: Whirlwind Knock back

15th level: Escape the Mob, +3 A.C.
16th level: Greater Whirlwind Full Attack
17th level:Whirlwind Trip
18th level Improved Evasion
20th level: Furious Ogre

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: All simple, martial, and katana. No Armor

Mob Dodge: As the feat Dodge but it can be applied to a number of targets equal to the mob fencer’s level. The mob fencer also gains dodge bonus A.C. as a monk. A Mob fencer may also apply his wisdom to his A.C. bonus. These bonuses only apply when the Mob Fencer is unarmored and carrying a light load.

Wide Cut: While using a non-reach melee weapon, a Mob Fencer can have his attack affect two adjacent enemies. He must resolve his attack with one roll, if it beats both the enemies' A.C. it hits both of them. The enemies must be standing in a line perpendicular to the Mob, the wide cut ability cannot affect an enemy standing behind another enemy, only those standing to the left or right of the target.

Whirlwind Full Attack: As the feat except a second attack may be made at a -5 penalty. At 11th level a third attack maybe made at a -10 penalty. At 16th level a fourth attack may be made at a -15 penalty. The Whirlwind full attack Whirlwind Knock back and trip can only be performed with melee weapons that do not have reach. A mob fencer may only perform this attack when he is not wearing armor and only carrying a light load.

Whirlwind knock back: Instead of attacking, the Mob Fencer may force every creature adjacent to him to move back a space. A reflex save D.C. equal to the Mob Fencer’s Attack result may be made to avoid being forced back.

Escape the Mob: As an immediate action, a Mob Fencer may use Dimension Door as the spell a number of times equal to his wisdom bonus. His caster level is equal to a sorcerer of his level.

Whirlwind Trip: Instead of attacking, the Mob Fencer may trip every creature next to him as a full attack action. For the purposes of this ability, he is treated as though he has them improved trip feat and his weapons are able to trip opponents.

Furious Ogre: Once per day, as a standard action, the Mob Fencer can focus all his anger at the mobs and can gain 1d4 +1 extra rounds to act. These rounds are taken in a faster time rate and may be used only to move or attack. No other actions may be taken during this time. All attack damage will take effect after the ability ends.

Umarth
2007-04-12, 06:27 PM
Way way to front loaded.

Everyone who plays a fighter type character would have to take at least 1-2 levels of this. I think those abilities need to be spread out a bit more.

Kyace
2007-04-12, 06:31 PM
Time stop for a noncaster does make an interesting cap stone, but this class might be too powerful.

jjpickar
2007-04-12, 06:32 PM
What abilities should I move back? Whirlwind is the entire point of this class so I'm kinda leery of moving it back. How about Evasion?

Edit: This class is supposed to make most core melee classes obsolete. Try cmparing it to the ToB classes.

Kyace
2007-04-12, 06:37 PM
The soonest you can get whirlwind as a feat is 4th level, so at level 1 might be too early. Give him cleave or something to hold 'em over. I'm not sure why it gets A.C bonus and the magical abilities. This is just a mob thug, right?

Edit:
Also,

Whirlwind Full Attack: As the feat except a second attack may be made at a -5 penalty. At 11th level a third attack maybe made at a -10 penalty. At 16th level a fourth attack may be made at a -15 penalty.
This is a bit broken. Give the guy a spiked chain and he can full attack everyone within 15 feet of him. In a single round.

What happens when a guy with
Whirlwind knock back: Instead of attacking, the Mob Fencer may force every creature adjacent to him to move back a space. A reflex save D.C. equal to the Mob Fencer’s Attack result may be made to avoid being forced back.
is holding a reach weapon? Does this replace an attack like trip or disarm does or is this a standard/full round action?

Umarth
2007-04-12, 06:42 PM
Edit: This class is supposed to make most core melee classes obsolete. Try cmparing it to the ToB classes.

So this shouldn't be balanced to other classes?

jjpickar
2007-04-12, 06:45 PM
Actually this is supposed to be a graceful Samurai-esque fencing type Character not a thug. I agree with the cleave thing though will put it in after my D&D session tonight.

Umarth: This is supposed to be balanced against other classes, just not the weak ones.

Caewil
2007-04-13, 07:51 AM
It's still overkill. A two level dip for whirlwind attack - a feat with high prerequesites, and evasion, an excelent ability to have. It's too tempting for any melee class to dip into. Also, it may be more suitable as a PrC.

jjpickar
2007-04-13, 08:24 AM
Fixed the early Whirlwind Attack feat and moved evasion back. Still have yet to have it compared to an actually good class like the Warblade or Cleric. Oh and the Knock back needs fixing, thanks for pointing that out Kyace. Let's see, how about the whirlwind attacks are restricted to nonreach melee weapons only?

XtheYeti
2007-04-13, 09:05 AM
it needs something secondlevel

CabbageTheif
2007-04-13, 11:19 AM
i think that a number of problems would be fixed if you did as you just mentioned and restricted the characters weapon choices. one sentance would fix it:

this class ability is only in effect if the character is weilding a ____________.

__________= a type of weapon.

jjpickar
2007-04-13, 11:39 AM
See the last sentence of Whirlwind Full Attack for the weapon restriction. As for a second level ability how about:

Wide Cut While using a non-reach melee weapon, a Mob Fencer can have his attack affect two adjacent enemies. He must resolve his attack with one roll, if it beats both the enemies' A.C. it hits both of them. The enemies must be standing in a line perpendicular to the Mob, the wide cut ability cannot affect an enemy standing behind another enemy, only those standing to the left or right of the target.

mabriss lethe
2007-04-13, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry. but maybe it needs a more precise name. As soon as I read it, the first thing that came to mind was...

"What? It fell off da' back o'da truck."

jjpickar
2007-04-14, 12:04 PM
Anyone have any ideas for a name? He was supposed to fix the Samurai class so if you have something along that vein it would probably fit the flavor.

Vaynor
2007-04-14, 12:12 PM
Whirlwind Berserker Super Ultra Lord Man-Thing. :smallwink:

This is an awesome idea for a class by the way, I'm going to add it to available classes, after maybe making it a PRC and changing it to fit my homebrew.

EDIT: Here's my PrC version:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/Vaynor/Picture2.png

jjpickar
2007-04-14, 03:39 PM
Hmmm I like the name but the acronym WBSULMT is too unwieldy.:smallwink: I like the PrC conversion by the way.

Vaynor
2007-04-14, 03:46 PM
Hmmm I like the name but the acronym WBSULMT is too unwieldy.:smallwink: I like the PrC conversion by the way.

:smallsmile:

Thanks, do you think it's balanced? Pretty much just a condensed version of the class.

jjpickar
2007-04-14, 09:42 PM
I'm not really good at determining balance. But if you want my opinion, I think you should put a clause in restricting the whirlwind attack to non-armored use only. I'm doing that to the Mob Fencer right now.