PDA

View Full Version : Builds for true healbot?

killem2
2015-03-31, 09:40 AM
So my current group which is currently adventuring through the mummies mask has a fairly decent setup. But I personally would like to roll a healer. Not some good class that can also heal.

I know the typical replies these requests get and I'm aware of the action inferiority with most of these classes. I am looking to spend my turns tossing heals -in-combat-and-out.

It is what I want to do. We have such a large group (7 ppl) that having a true healbot will warrant a greater return for us. :)

OldTrees1
2015-03-31, 09:50 AM
Dvati Cleric/Crusader/Prestige Paladin 1/RKV can use Dvati action economy to do swift Cure + Touch of Healing + healing Manuever per turn.

johnbragg
2015-03-31, 09:53 AM
So my current group which is currently adventuring through the mummies mask has a fairly decent setup. But I personally would like to roll a healer. Not some good class that can also heal.

I know the typical replies these requests get and I'm aware of the action inferiority with most of these classes. I am looking to spend my turns tossing heals -in-combat-and-out.

It is what I want to do. We have such a large group (7 ppl) that having a true healbot will warrant a greater return for us. :)

Not a build, but an Optional Rule. Compete Divine (I think) had a throwaway sentence or paragraph about swapping out the Turn Undead rules for the ability to just do a d6/level Positive Energy burst, healing the living and blasting the undead.

PAthfinder ran with that (Channel Energy), but at d6/2 levels-after-first (same as Sneak Attack--1st level d6, 3rd level 2d6, 5th level 3d6 etc.) Pathfinder also has feat trees built on that.

NOTE: Mummies' Mask is already a Pathfinder adventure path, so you knew this.

Grooke
2015-03-31, 09:54 AM
DMM persist Cleric with persisted Lesser Mass Vigor will take are of all out-of-combat healing. For in-combat, Radiant Servant of Pelor gives you free Empower and Maximise healing.

Basically, I think an optimized cleric is the way to go, you just spend your actions healing instead of buffing or hitting (though you still can if you want to).

Edit: Also, for a healbot your save DCs won't matter much so you can use Dynamic Priest to dump WIS in favor of CHA (which in turn helps your channeling if you choose to do it).

sakuuya
2015-03-31, 10:01 AM
How does your DM feel about homebrew? On the light side is this expanded spell list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=q3qb7omo0n2cu30fot8lovl3g1&topic=4079.0) for the Healer class, which includes a lot of good healing spells that came out after the Miniatures Handbook, but is still hyperfocused on healing and protection.

A heavier homebrew option is this Retooled Healer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?133118-Retooling-the-Healer-(Heal-it!-Heal-it!-No-one-wants-to-be-defeated!)), which turns the MH Healer into a spontaneous caster a la the Beguiler.

Basically, there's no class that (a) is primarily restricted to healing, and (b) is actually good at healing. You can either tinker with the Healer or use "some good class that can also heal" and just focus hard on healing.

Ignis6669
2015-03-31, 10:05 AM
Not a build, but an Optional Rule. Compete Divine (I think) had a throwaway sentence or paragraph about swapping out the Turn Undead rules for the ability to just do a d6/level Positive Energy burst, healing the living and blasting the undead.

Wait, is this actually a thing somewhere? I've never heard of it!

In complete divine I see some feats that sound kind of like this. Sacred Boost lets you place positive energy on people so cures are automatically maximized and sacred healing lets you give fast healing to living creatures (both on page 84). But I don't see a sidebar for this (possible) swap.

Zaq
2015-03-31, 10:13 AM
Well, the Cleric does it best for a reason. Spontaneous healing makes you a much stronger character overall—you can prepare spells that are useful even when no one needs healing, but you'll still have as many healing spells as you need. Add in tricks like Persisted Mass Lesser Vigor, and you've got a good way of taking care of HP damage.

If you want something a little bit less T1, the Healer, from Miniatures Handbook, is an option. It's pretty limited when it comes to doing anything other than healing, but if you're aware of that going in and that's what you want, it can certainly heal. Its main disadvantage relative to the Cleric is that it can't spontaneously heal, though the feat Spontaneous Healer (CDiv) can mitigate that somewhat. Also, since it doesn't get domains, you can't qualify for the very nice Imbued Healing feat (CChamp), and since it doesn't get Turn Undead, you can't get Sacred Healing (CDiv). Prestige classes can take care of that (Contemplative or Sovereign Speaker can give you domains, for example), but those are extra hoops you have to jump through. Healers do get to make good use of Sanctified spells, from BoED, but again, since you can't spontaneously heal, every Sanctified spell you prepare is a healing spell you didn't prepare, which is kind of annoying. Still, they get some spontaneous condition removal, they get to add their CHA to the amount you heal with your healing spells (which makes Close Wounds actually worth using), and they do get a good number of spells per day.

If you're any kind of spellcasting class, you might look into the Combat Medic PrC, from Heroes of Battle. It's not exactly an earth-shatteringly powerful PrC, but it does make you better at healing. Requires one bad feat and one mediocre feat to get in, but that's about it.

If you want an even more limited option, a Dragon Shaman (PHB2) has an aura that can passively regenerate everyone's HP up to half full, all day every day, and they have a Lay On Hands-style pool of healing that can provide a spike heal or some limited condition removal. They're still not actually a very strong class (that's about all they do—they do have a breath weapon, but it's weak and limited), but with a big party, it might be an option. You can get the healing aura with a single level dip, though, so that might be of interest to you. (You may or may not be able to buy it with the feat Draconic Aura, from Dragon Magic—ask your GM if only the draconic auras from Dragon Magic are valid targets for the feat, or if you can pick draconic auras from PHB2.)

If you want to go totally off the wall and bring in something your party's never seen before, you could play a Truenamer. Load up on Words of Nurturing for taking care of HP damage, and there are some mid- to high-level utterances that clear conditions and recover ability damage. Since you'll mostly be targeting your allies, you'll know what Truespeak DCs you have to meet, and that won't change much based on what monsters the GM throws at you. (If you want to be really sneaky about it, you can use the "Sympathetic Healing" trick in the Naughty Words section of my guide: basically, the Word of Nurturing line is really poorly written, and RAW, I believe that the target of the healing doesn't have to be the target of the utterance. So you keep a pet bunny or another very low CR thing around, target it with the utterance, and heal your friends instead. Most GMs won't let you get away with that, but it's not like you're really bringing a powerhouse to the table in the first place, so it's funny to consider.)

You might also look into some of the tricks I lay out in my rest-based healing microguide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?189716-Boosting-Rest-Based-Healing-A-Microguide-3-5). Many of those tricks work on a large party just as well as a small one, so they might be worth looking into.

johnbragg
2015-03-31, 10:23 AM
Wait, is this actually a thing somewhere? I've never heard of it!

In complete divine I see some feats that sound kind of like this. Sacred Boost lets you place positive energy on people so cures are automatically maximized and sacred healing lets you give fast healing to living creatures (both on page 84). But I don't see a sidebar for this (possible) swap.

Page 87, and I mis-remembered it, making it better than it is. There's nothing about it healing the living--I applied "D&D physics" there (positive energy heals the living and damages the undead, positive energy fireball would do both.)

The downside of what I suggested is that the evil cleric would get the opposite power--heal his undead minions AND blast the party for negative energy damage. (He'd take the damage too, unless of course he's undead--lich, vampire, necropolitan, etc.)

Turning undead is a standard action that deals 1d6
damage/cleric level to all undead within 30’ of the cleric.
The affected undead get a Will save (DC 10+ cleric level +
Charisma modifi er) for half damage.

Evil clerics (any cleric that can swap out spells for infl ict
spells) instead heal undead within 30 ft. for 1d6/cleric level.
Paladins work just as you would expect, they turn undead
as a cleric 3 levels lower.

Undead with turn resistance may subtract that number
from the damage that they take from each turn attempt. For
example, a vampire with turn resistance 4 takes 4 fewer hit
points of damage each time he takes turning damage.
Turn resistance does not reduce the effects of the
healing that evil clerics provide with their turn
attempts.

killem2
2015-03-31, 10:44 AM
gitp mobile site is garbage I am only in pathfinder at the moment sorry for wasting your time. Thanks for the comments I will create a new thread at home.

johnbragg
2015-03-31, 10:49 AM
gitp mobile site is garbage I am only in pathfinder at the moment sorry for wasting your time. Thanks for the comments I will create a new thread at home.

I don't think you need a new thread. Just some posters with better PFSRD-fu than me.

Darrin
2015-03-31, 11:28 AM
Race: Warforged (well, you did say healBOT)
Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 10/Combat Medic 5

Unlimited 6d6 healing blasts out to 60' as a standard action. Add Empower SLA/Maximize SLA for HP.

gorfnab
2015-03-31, 11:33 AM
X-codes optimized healing based Paladin (post #10) (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1189481#338083454)

Well, lets see what I can do if I hammer all this together.

Lesser Aasimar Paladin 20 (Yeah yeah, Gray Guard... not interested... yet)
32 PB: 14 Str, 8 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 10 (+2 = 12) Wis, 18 (+2 = 20) Cha
Flaws: Shaky, Inattentive
Feats:
1) Power Attack, Hands of a Healer, Nimbus of Light
3) True Believer
6) Battle Blessing
9) Sacred Healing
12) Stigmata
15) Divine Might
18) Extra Turning

*St. Cuthbert has good relics, and this will let me use them.

Healing Methods:
Lay On Hands-
Charisma 42 (+16) (20 base + 5 level + 5 inherent + 6 enhancement + 2 Hands of a Healer + 4 Unicorn Pendant)
16 * 20 = 320 HP of healing, or...
320 / 5 = 64 points of ability damage recovery, typically used for Stigmata.

Spirit of Healing-
Primary means of in-combat healing if seriously needed. Heals 640 HP.

Stigmata-
Constitution 25 (14 base + 6 enhancement + 5 inherent)
Assume 4 other party members. Constitution can be burned 8 points at a time to heal each of them for 4 HP per level. If they're at 20th level, thats 320 HP per use. This can be done up to 3 times per hour and 8 times per day, for up to 960 HP of healing each hour and 2560 HP of healing each day.

Sacred Healing-
Charisma 36 (+13)
24 uses of Turn Undead each day
Each use lasts 14 rounds for each of the 5 party members, healing 3 HP per round. Thats 210 HP healed per use. With 24 uses per day, thats 5040 HP healed per day. If you manage to also apply that one item from MIC to the Unicorn Pendant thats an extra 420, but thats likely not worth as much as the hassling with the DM over it would cost you.

Spirit of the Fallen-
Lasts 20 rounds and gives each party member Fast Healing 10, for 1000 HP healed over the duration. Can also give more healing if any fall below 0 HP while it's summoned.

In total, thats 9240 HP healed per day without a single spell being cast, and furthermore the spells are available to counteract every condition that allows a saving throw and a wide variety of others that do not. Also, as the party grows larger in size the amount of healing dispensed likewise gets stupidly high.

(Assuming a party of 9 characters, your Stigmata (16 Con Burn) heals 1280 HP and can be done 4 times a day for "free," healing a total of 5120 HP. Then Sacred Healing heals 378 HP per use and 9072 HP per day. Then Spirit of the Fallen goes up to 1800, for a total of 15992 HP of healing per day.)

meemaas
2015-03-31, 12:46 PM

If your dm allows third party the Vitalist from Dreamscarred Press is perfect. You'll be able to pump out heals that can keep up with any damage and have access to a few other options when not healing.

PsyBomb
2015-03-31, 01:30 PM
If your dm allows third party the Vitalist from Dreamscarred Press is perfect. You'll be able to pump out heals that can keep up with any damage and have access to a few other options when not healing.

Beat me to it. Vitalists are CRAZY good healer/support characters. My favorite to use when I'm just trying to keep my buddies alive. I don't think I've ever lost an ally to anything other than their own stupidity while playing one.

Elkad
2015-03-31, 02:28 PM
........this Retooled Healer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?133118-Retooling-the-Healer-(Heal-it!-Heal-it!-No-one-wants-to-be-defeated!)), which turns the MH Healer into a spontaneous caster a la the Beguiler....

I ran this alternate class on a cohort recently. Though because it was a cohort, we did change it to Wisdom-based casting, so we could dump Charisma and not make a cowardly little lizardman the party face. That modification was a mistake. Or at least we should have switched the Healers Blessing ability to Charisma to compensate.

The Healer's Blessing ability combined with Wisdom as the primary stat meant at 8th level and 20Wis meant +20 to all heals. In a low/medium op campaign, it was a bit much. The other features are nice. Ranged healing, a boost to buffs, etc. But in-combat he was casting immediate-action heals (Close Wounds) for 1d4+25, followed by a Cure Moderate for 3d8+28.

Unless people were getting one-shotted, he had NO problem keeping people alive (and even then, Close Wounds can pull them back if it has enough healing power). Putting out a consistent 75pts/round holds a party up for a long time. Even Cure Minor was good for 21 points.

Without my admittedly stupid modifications, a more modest 16 wis still stacks on 12hp per heal at 8th. Probably OK, but still makes especially Cure Minor pretty powerful, and Cure Light (with CL5 bonus too) hits for 1d8+17 at 5th level.

The vigor spells were a waste of a heal slot compared to direct healing. He took Skill Focus:Concentration and Combat Casting, for the big bonus to casting defensively. We didn't roll Sanctuary saves until someone tried to hit him, so he never knew if he was safe or not from any given target. Later on, ranged heals mostly eliminated the need for defensive casting, but it still got used occasionally. Overhealing to add temp hitpoints onto people was a nice trick as well, as is using Lay Hands to cure other stuff (statloss, blindness, etc).

It's a strong class in it's niche. And that's without going for Feats that would optimize it even further, like Reserve Feat: Touch of Healing.

In the right party it's pretty fun to play. Just wander around in your permanent Sanctuary spell saying "this isn't the Healer you are looking for" throwing buffs and heals. It needs to be a fairly large party if you intend to play like it's pacifist nature, but it's a valuable addition.

mastermisha1
2015-03-31, 04:47 PM
I would suggest something like this

Favored Soul 6/ Knight of the Raven 3/ Radiant Servant of Pelor 10/ anything else you'd like

I find that the spontaneous nature of the favored souls means i have less book keeping to keep track of for preparing spells.
3 levels of Knight of the raven give you the turn undead and Sun domain access you then need for Radiant Servant, which then gives you the most bang for you bucks on heals as long as you take the healing domain as your bonus domain from Radiant Servant of Pelor at level 5, causing all your most commonly used heals to be empowered, then maximized, and finally both.
The greater turning is also nice to have, especially in an undead heavy campaign.
Alternatively grab DMM Persist and use your Turn attempts to fuel all day buffs.

A_S
2015-03-31, 05:21 PM
*edit* Whoops, missed the PF-only comment. Post spoilered below.Here's something a wee bit different that might do well with such a large group:

Human

1 - Beguiler 1 - Versatile Spellcaster, Combat Casting
2 - Human Paragon 1
3 - Human Paragon 2 - Arcane Disciple (healing), Dodge
4 - Beguiler 2
5 - Human Paragon 3
6 - Prestige Bard 1 - Enlarge Spell
7 - War Weaver 1
8 - War Weaver 2
9 - Cloistered Cleric 1 - Imbued Healing
10 - War Weaver 3
11 - War Weaver 4
12 - War Weaver 5 - Rapid Metamagic
13 - Combat Medic 1
14 - Combat Medic 2
15 - Combat Medic 3 - Quicken Spell
16 - Combat Medic 4
17 - Combat Medic 5
18 - Beguiler 3 - Practiced Spellcaster (Beguiler)
19 - Fatespinner 1
20 - Fatespinner 2
Uses Arcane Disciple and Prestige Bard to get healing onto the Beguiler list as arcane spells, then War Weaver to apply your healing to your whole party. Combat Medic and Imbued Healing are used to tack on as many rider effects as possible onto those healing spells. If something other than healing is called for in a given situation, you always have Beguiler casting to fall back on (9th level spells at level 20 via Versatile Spellcaster)

Starting at level 7, you can cast Cure spells that affect yourself plus a number of allies equal to your Int mod.
Starting at level 12, the other targets need no longer be in touch range.
Starting at level 15, you can Quicken your spells.
Starting at level 17, you can spontaneously convert spells into Heal.

At various levels, you gain rider effects that add to your healing spells (and affect all targets):

Starting at level 9, you can give targets temporary HP, bonuses to skill/ability checks, or one of several other bonuses (via Imbued Healing), and you can remove the dazed, dazzled, fatigued, exhausted, nauseated, or sickened status effects (via a wand of Healing Lorecall, cast into your Quiescent Weaving ability to precast at the beginning of a fight).
Starting at level 13, you can protect targets with a Sanctuary effect (via Combat Medic)
Starting at level 15, you can give targets a bonus to their Reflex saves.
Starting at level 17, you can grant targets the benefits of the Aid spell.
Major weakness of the build is that it doesn't come online until the midgame. At level 7, you can protect yourself with Beguiler spells like Invisibility and stand in the thick of things healing as many people as you can reach, but you don't really do what the build is designed to do (heal and buff the entire party every turn) until you get Enlarged Tapestry at level 12. Before that, you're just a Beguiler who's made some bad choices.

True believer
2015-04-01, 09:42 PM
I would probably go the warlock/cleric/Eldritch Disciple way. You basically turn warlocks eldrich blast into heal !!!! So you have an unlimited amount of heal every day + the cleric spells !!!!! It doesn't get any better than this trust me :D

Aethenol
2015-04-02, 08:27 PM
Have you considered the Oradin?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot

Establish Life Links with the rest of the party, use Lay on Hands (self) to heal everyone.
Since you didn't want to do anything other than heal, you could ignore the part about beating the enemy in the face, and load up further on defensive items.