PDA

View Full Version : Charging... 100% [Creature]

Angafirith
2007-04-12, 06:03 PM
Basically, my current attempts at homebrewing are taking basic monsters and adding special attacks and properties to them to get some experience with modifying CR and balancing things. I'm posting my creations here so I can be sure that I'm nailing these things down properly.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm Electric obsessed or anything. Basically, it was the next thing to come to mind. I'm sure the dual use of the word "Charge" was somehow involved.

Sometimes, wizards have nothing better to do than screw around with genetics. With sparks of electricity jumping across its body and an unusual speed to it, it seems this boar was born of this irreverence for the natural order

Thunder Bolt
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 3d10+12 (28 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 dex, +6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack / Grapple: +2 / +4
Attack: Shock Gore +4 melee (1d8+3 + 1d6 electricity)
Full Attack: Shock Gore +4 melee (1d8+3 + 1d6 electricity)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ferocity, Lightning Charge (3d6 electricity)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Resistance from electricity 5
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +7, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Toughness
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: No Alignment

Lightning Charge:
On a successful charge attack, a Thunder Bolt does 3d6 additional electricity damage.

Additionally, I hope you guys don't mind if I keep posting all of the things I create for a while. There'll probably be quite a few of them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it's essentially an electric boar.

Kyace
2007-04-12, 06:33 PM
You might consider making it a magical beast, as the electricity damage from something other than an eel might be hard to explain. Also, this looks like a fun mount for a halfing.

Baron Corm
2007-04-12, 06:52 PM
if they're all related in some way, you could probably post them all in the same topic

also, you didn't say what exactly lightning charge is. 3d6 electric damage... is this done as part of a melee attack, does it have a cooldown time, etc. any time you create a new ability you should write a couple sentences explaining exactly what it is.

a couple sentences explaining why this boar can throw lightning would also be welcome!

Angafirith
2007-04-12, 06:54 PM
Eep. I forgot to copy and paste the entire thing from the wiki. Let me fix it.

Icewalker
2007-04-12, 07:08 PM
Why not enter them in the MitP II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38986) project?

I mean sure, it's pretty simple, but I'd say it's cool enough and different enough.

Angafirith
2007-04-12, 07:11 PM
Well, there's two reasons:
1) I'm worried that my thunder rat might be construed as some sort of copyright violation
2) I'm pretty sure that the first two creatures I ever created don't belong in the same book as those created by the veteran homebrewers here. I'm not confident in the quality of my thunder rat and thunder boar, here.

Icewalker
2007-04-12, 07:13 PM
Well for 1 just leave out the rat. And I'd say it's fine. I actually hadn't made any monsters until the competition started up. Just a couple PrCs and a weapon, plus a spell or two.

Angafirith
2007-04-12, 07:22 PM
Okay. I'll do it. At the very least, I'll get numerical data on what people think of it.

The new post ('http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40713')

Roland St. Jude
2007-04-14, 12:18 AM
Sheriff: Alrighty then, go ahead an use the new post. I don't think we need two posts about the same thing, though.