PDA

View Full Version : LA Races boosting INT

Pippin
2015-03-31, 06:50 PM
I was browsing the wiki when suddenly I found "Elven Cat" with some +6 INT racial bonus and only +1 LA. Then I realized it was someone's homebrew. But that made me wonder: what are the best races that grant +X INT racial bonus with LAs?

IIRC, the best racial bonus to INT with LA=0 is +3. Maybe we can find a race with +5/+6 to INT with LA=1 ? +7/+8 with LA=2 ?

Blackhawk748
2015-03-31, 06:55 PM
I was browsing the wiki when suddenly I found "Elven Cat" with some +6 INT racial bonus and only +1 LA. Then I realized it was someone's homebrew. But that made me wonder: what are the best races that grant +X INT racial bonus with LAs?

IIRC, the best racial bonus to INT with LA=0 is +3. Maybe we can find a race with +5/+6 to INT with LA=1 ? +7/+8 with LA=2 ?

Venerable Gray Elves have a +5 Int and are LA 0. Your gonna wanna be undead if you do this though as your Con will be awful.

Grooke
2015-03-31, 07:00 PM
Those are really high values you're expecting ^^
Without counting aging, the best I found over on this list (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=342.0) was +4 Int for +2 LA. Mental stats are a lot harder to boost than Physical ones.

Another option is to get the aging bonuses without the physical losses, hence why Dragonwrought Kobold is so often mentioned.

Pippin
2015-03-31, 07:16 PM
So +4 INT for +2 LA is the best option DnD 3.5 offers? Given all the awesome races without LA we have, I thought we would get better. =(

Grooke
2015-03-31, 07:28 PM
Well its all I found for INT. I believe there are some crazy WIS races though (like a humanoid bat one from somewhere which is +6). I also didn't look for lists with LA > 2, or templates.

Blackhawk748
2015-03-31, 08:34 PM
Well its all I found for INT. I believe there are some crazy WIS races though (like a humanoid bat one from somewhere which is +6). I also didn't look for lists with LA > 2, or templates.

Anthropomorphic bat +6 Wis and its Tiny, so ya its awesome.

ImperatorV
2015-03-31, 09:13 PM
If you can find a LA0 giant, phrenic primordial giant is +6 int for LA 2. Up to +9 if you make him venerable.

There's probably some shenanigans with Incarnate construct that can get higher then that as well.

(Un)Inspired
2015-03-31, 10:16 PM
Venerable phrenic primordial half giant. Sounds pretty cool too. Throw necropolitan on him and say that he's been alive in a tomb somewhere since Eberrons age of giants.

He's a throwback to an era when giants were brilliant and supernaturally gifted. Coming to grips with modern Eberron would make for awesome RPing.

WhamBamSam
2015-03-31, 11:11 PM
Venerable phrenic primordial half giant. Sounds pretty cool too. Throw necropolitan on him and say that he's been alive in a tomb somewhere since Eberrons age of giants.

He's a throwback to an era when giants were brilliant and supernaturally gifted. Coming to grips with modern Eberron would make for awesome RPing.That's LA+3. +1 for Half-Giant and +2 for Phrenic. If Dragon Magazine material is allowed, you could do a Phrenic Primordial Menta Cyclopean for only LA+2

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-01, 01:49 AM
That's LA+3. +1 for Half-Giant and +2 for Phrenic. If Dragon Magazine material is allowed, you could do a Phrenic Primordial Menta Cyclopean for only LA+2

You're right. Why did I think that half giant was LA 0?