PDA

View Full Version : Draconic archer help

Temennigru
2015-03-31, 07:24 PM
My latest archer build attracted too much hate from the table (people don't like me shooting 12 force arrows that ignore AC and DR for 6d6 + 10 damage each) and I was ordered to tone down my build.

So instead of toning down, I decided to start completely fresh and make a top-down design instead of the usual bottom-up that I'm used to.

What I want to make is a silverbrow human archer that has access to things like Dragonfire Strike (+1d6 fire damage when dealing precision damage) that has glowey eyes and uses her dragon ancestry to make powerful single shots. I am even thinking of getting the Oathbow (A bow that shouts when you're angry. How cool is that?) and have the DM modify it to be draconic instead of elvish.

And that's what brings me here. I would like to know what classes (Aside from psionics. I've had enough of them.), feats and equipment I can get to make my dragon lady archer more flavorful and functional. Since most of the draconic stuff os limited to sorcerers, I'm having a hard time finding them.

The campaign starts at lvl 9. My basic starting items were:

Shax's Indispensable Haversack type 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) (Removed some campaign-specific useless items. Added Collar of Perpetual Attendance)
Hank's Energy Bow (Traded for Draconic Oathbow)
Mithrall shirt
Cloak of the dragon(silver)
Gloves of the Master Strategist
Assortment of arrows

Grooke
2015-03-31, 07:33 PM
You can check out the Dragonmark feats from... Dragonmarked! (Eberron). They are inherited marks that cover an increasing part of your body and give SLAs based on how many feats you invest (though despite their name, there is nothing inhenrently draconic about them, you can RP that there is). They aren't considered high-level optimization but can add flavor and some versatility to your character. I believe there is also a small handbook about them, but the concept isn't overly complex.

Temennigru
2015-03-31, 07:49 PM
You can check out the Dragonmark feats from... Dragonmarked! (Eberron). They are inherited marks that cover an increasing part of your body and give SLAs based on how many feats you invest (though despite their name, there is nothing inhenrently draconic about them, you can RP that there is). They aren't considered high-level optimization but can add flavor and some versatility to your character. I believe there is also a small handbook about them, but the concept isn't overly complex.

I think that's stretching the concept of draconic. I would also not be using my dragonblood feat. I would much rather have dragon senses.

Sian
2015-04-01, 03:55 AM
I'd at least consider Scout into Hand of the Winged Master (Dragon Magic), as it gets both Dragon Sense and Dragonfire Strike as Bonus feats among the way, and later on an improved version of Dragonfire Strike.

Only thing you should consider would be to convince your DM that Dragonblooded count as Dragontouched, so you don't have to pay the oddish feat tax

WeaselGuy
2015-04-01, 05:38 AM
Since you are wanting to focus on single strong attacks, how about Order of the Bow Initiate? It's generally considered sub-par when compared to the plethora of attacks a Rapid Shot or Manyshot archer can pull off, and especially compared to a Swift Hunter build. But it's still a pretty flavorful class, where the archer focuses on achieving that perfect state of calm to send their arrow with complete clarity (very similar to Rand al'Thor's method of centering himself in the Wheel of Time books).

atemu1234
2015-04-01, 06:01 AM
I think that's stretching the concept of draconic. I would also not be using my dragonblood feat. I would much rather have dragon senses.

Then have it come, ironically, from the human side. When people see it and say he must be affiliated with a dragon, say lolno, he's the scion of a noble house.

Temennigru
2015-04-02, 12:20 PM
Here's the build so far:
Silverbrow human
6 scout, 3 hand of the winged masters

draconic wings
improved draconic wings
flyby attack
improved skirmish
ranged skirmish
dragontouched
improved initiative

That way, I can fly into position, shoot from afar and fly away.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-02, 12:37 PM
Make more of a team player, someone who makes the whole party better instead of just being personally strong.

I'd go Silverbrow Human, Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) 8/ Sorcerer 1 with the Dragonblood Sorcerer sub level for a dragon type that gets sonic damage. Trade Bardic Knowledge for Bardic Knack in PH2, replace Countersong with Spellbreaker Song in CM, swap Hypnotism for Healing Hymn in CC, and trade Suggestion for Song of the Heart in ECS.

Feats should be Melodic Casting, Dragonfire Inspiration, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, and Words of Creation (BoED). This character will need to be goody-two-shoes/exalted, otherwise you'll need to swap out Words of Creation.

With the shouting theme, you'll be adding 9d6 sonic damage to everyone's attacks, including your own bow attacks. To accomplish this you'll need the above things plus Inspirational Boost in SC and a Badge of Valor in MIC. The badge is activated after you start inspiring, and Words of Creation doubles the effect at the time you start inspiring, so that won't get doubled. Your Inspire Courage is +2 (Bard 8), +1 (Song of the Heart), +1 (Inspirational Boost), doubled (Words of Creation), +1 (Badge of Valor), for a total of +9. Dragonfire Inspiration converts that into as many d6's of energy damage, which is fire by default but you'll have Draconic Heritage from your Sorcerer level to swap it to sonic damage. You can cast Creaking Cacophony in SC to give opponents vulnerability to sonic damage, so they'll take 50% more damage from this effect. Note that this is added to all weapon attacks, melee and ranged, manufactured and natural, so even animal companions will benefit from it if you have any of those with the party.

Make your bow an Elvencraft bow in Races of the Wild, which counts as a club (shortbow) or a quarterstaff (longbow) in addition to a bow. You'll need to buy masterwork multiple times (twice for a club/shortbow, three times for a quarterstaff/longbow), but you should be able to put as many wand chambers from Dungeonscape in it. Put a Wand of Wings of Cover in one of those wand chambers, per Rules Compendium it's still an immediate action to activate as long as you're holding it, and your Sorcerer level allows you to use that without UMD.

You can always keep Inspire Courage active and just hum quietly until you get into combat, cast Haste on the party, cast Creaking Cacophony or Glitterdust or similar on the opponents if necessary, and shoot with your bow while using Wings of Cover to protect yourself and adjacent allies.

Get an Eternal Wand (MIC) of Hound of Doom (CW), anyone who can cast arcane spells can use any Eternal Wand regardless of what spell it contains. That will also benefit from your Inspire Courage. Also consider an Eternal Wand of Web for your other wand chamber, it's superb for preventing multiple opponents from harming your party.