PDA

View Full Version : Old 3.5 player looking to get into 5E optimization

The Rabbler
2015-03-31, 10:52 PM
I'm trying to join up with a local 5E group, but I haven't played the game since a 3.5 group a couple years back. What are the differences that will surprise me and where does a guy who likes melee start in this strange new world?

Forum Explorer
2015-03-31, 10:57 PM
I'm trying to join up with a local 5E group, but I haven't played the game since a 3.5 group a couple years back. What are the differences that will surprise me and where does a guy who likes melee start in this strange new world?

Differences that'll surprise? A much lower optimization level in general I guess. Oh, and non specific skills. Bounded accuracy I guess, but it's not really a surprise per say.

Oh, here are some big ones, feats aren't guaranteed (though are usually offered), and neither is multiclassing. Magic items are almost completely up to the DM, and WBL is pretty much gone.

Anyways where to start?

You can go either Fighter Battlemaster/Eldritch knight. Or any Paladin. Or any Barbarian. Or any Monk.

Coming straight from 3.5? I'd go with Paladin or Monk.

Right, that's the biggest surprise. Monk is actually pretty good now.

Kane0
2015-03-31, 10:59 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377491-Guides-Tables-and-other-useful-tools-for-5E-D-amp-D) may be a good start for you, it contains a bunch of class handbooks as well as a primer to 5e or two, as well as some threads on optimization bits and pieces.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-03-31, 11:02 PM

Numbers are a lot lower this addition. If you're AC looks distressingly low, keep this in mind. Dragons cap their AC around 25. Total attack scores cap around +11 without magic assistance.

Most builds/classes are viable. Spellcasters still rock at max level, but that's max level. I've found the classes play very nice until very late game, and even then Spellcasters can't stack spells anymore, so cheese is appropriately low. Don't be fooled, Simulacrum doesn't work like the idiots "optimizers" think it does. Optimization is not really a thing anymore. Have fun with whatever.

Beastmaster Ranger is typically cited as being underpowered, but it has some nice tactical uses for smart players. Outside of that not a lot of classes suck this time around.

Magic items and Feats are optional, making for low magic gaming. You can't count on items to fill in stat holes any longer. Instead, they focus more on awesome effects than simple +'s. Feats change the entire game, and are incredibly powerful/flavorful. One can change your entire playstyle.

There's more, but I'm running late. Hope this helps!

The Rabbler
2015-03-31, 11:50 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377491-Guides-Tables-and-other-useful-tools-for-5E-D-amp-D) may be a good start for you, it contains a bunch of class handbooks as well as a primer to 5e or two, as well as some threads on optimization bits and pieces.

Well, there goes my night.

Strill
2015-04-01, 12:32 AM
Beastmaster Ranger is typically cited as being underpowered, but it has some nice tactical uses for smart players. Outside of that not a lot of classes suck this time around.
I have no idea where this senseless rumor came from. Beastmaster Ranger has never been underpowered. Its power is comparable to any other class. The problem is that it's unintuitive and contrived.

xyianth
2015-04-01, 02:11 AM
I have no idea where this senseless rumor came from. Beastmaster Ranger has never been underpowered. Its power is comparable to any other class. The problem is that it's unintuitive and contrived.

It comes from theorycraft. In play, beastmaster ranger can sort of keep up with non-optimized members of other classes from levels 2-10*. (ranger 1 is undeniably the weakest level 1 PC in the game) From level 11 onwards, beastmaster ranger can only stay relevant if: you have gained some great custom barding, you have the perfect beast companion for your build, and your DM doesn't focus fire on your beast companion. When you add to this the illogical behavior of the companion and the extremely late arrival of useful abilities in the ranger chassis, it is easy to see why beastmaster ranger gets a bad reputation.

There are some niche builds that can delay the onset of irrelevance for a few levels. If your DM makes some custom allowances for what the companion can do, the problem can go away altogether. But, imho this doesn't change the fundamental problem of the ranger in 5e: It is, by far, the easiest class to screw up your build with. There are numerous trap choices embedded in the class, the spells known mechanic is much more restrictive than is needed, and it is very easy to pick features that become irrelevant due to how the campaign progresses. There are definitely ways to build an effective ranger, but there are a ton of ways to mess one up.

* = This assumes a fairly strict reading of the rules for what the companion can do. If you allow the companion to make its own OAs, use the multiattack ability as an attack, and allow the companion to behave like a beast would without orders, beastmaster ranger is very effective at most levels.

Full disclosure, I have playtested beastmaster ranger at levels 3, 5, 7, 11, 15, 18, and 20. I have also run a one shot campaign with an experienced group of players in which one played a beastmaster ranger. The player chose to multiclass out after level 8. All of the above is my personal experience with the class. I freely admit that it turned out better than I expected, but only because I was expecting it to be terrible.