PDA

View Full Version : Basements And Dice

Drakeburn
2015-03-31, 11:09 PM
So I was browsing Deviant Art, and I just happened to come across this article about Dungeons and Dragons.

It basically explains kinda well about what Dungeons and Dragons is (as well as tabletop roleplaying games in general). Well, better than I can.

You can read the article in the link (http://techgnotic.deviantart.com/journal/Dungeons-And-Dragons-Basement-And-Dice-522565086?offset=0#comments) here.

Milo v3
2015-04-01, 12:50 AM
I'm surprised explaining D&D and other tabletop games is so difficult. Whenever it's come up for me they gave a rather good response and understood the concept quickly, except for the time when one of my friends tried to describe a game by using tonnes of jargon (that did not help).

Yora
2015-04-01, 09:11 AM
I find it pretty terrible, though. Begining with trying to defend roleplaying games against some imagined opposition, which only existed in one part of the world decades ago and keeping talking about it the entire time.
You don't sell anything by starting to appologize and defend yourself before you even mention what it is you want people to tell about.

Sounds to me more like the writer needs to deal with some personal hangups and bad memories rather than introducing roleplaying games to new people.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-01, 09:39 AM
I find it pretty terrible, though. Begining with trying to defend roleplaying games against some imagined opposition, which only existed in one part of the world decades ago and keeping talking about it the entire time.
You don't sell anything by starting to appologize and defend yourself before you even mention what it is you want people to tell about.

Sounds to me more like the writer needs to deal with some personal hangups and bad memories rather than introducing roleplaying games to new people.

I agree with your assessment. The author isn't pitching this towards educating a clueless public, it's more trying to find validation with someone he assumes already has a negative opinion.

That said, I can agree with his reticence in talking about the hobby. After being mercilessly teased as a child for my involvement in RPG's I've learned to put on my armor and hide the fact that I'm a gamer for self protection. Even decades after, when I've developed a successful career, family, military and athletic achievements, I still feel like this is a vulnerable spot.

It might not be a realistic fear these days, but it's what I'm used to. Hopefully kids these days don't have the same stigma associated with them.

JAL_1138
2015-04-01, 03:11 PM

The Satanic Panic never ended in parts of rural Appalachia. I've heard "My preacher said Dungeons and Dragons is satanic" with a straight face as recently as last year in rural Kentucky, where I used to live. And then of course aside from D&D there are preachers there who've been ranting about Harry Potter, the LotR movies, Pokémon, etc. as the devil's work for years for encouraging "witchcraft."

ComaVision
2015-04-01, 03:22 PM
In my experience, most of the people that have never played think it's a board game.

Ralanr
2015-04-01, 03:31 PM
The Satanic Panic never ended in parts of rural Appalachia. I've heard "My preacher said Dungeons and Dragons is satanic" with a straight face as recently as last year in rural Kentucky, where I used to live. And then of course aside from D&D there are preachers there who've been ranting about Harry Potter, the LotR movies, Pokémon, etc. as the devil's work for years for encouraging "witchcraft."

I will never understand the logic of those people. As long as they don't enforce things violently or abusively then it doesn't matter I suppose.

In my experience, most of the people that have never played think it's a board game.

Not hard to fault anyone for thinking that. Dice, tables, sometimes a grid of some sort. Looks like a board game at first glance. That's how I assumed it at first. A very complex board game.

ComaVision
2015-04-01, 03:36 PM
Not hard to fault anyone for thinking that. Dice, tables, sometimes a grid of some sort. Looks like a board game at first glance. That's how I assumed it at first. A very complex board game.

Oh, definitely. I usually respond with something like, "Kind of but ..."