PDA

View Full Version : Some concerns

Seatbelt
2007-04-12, 07:42 PM
I'm starting the Ravenloft campaign module this summer, and my friends are all making their characters. I've got one friend (The Dwarf) who loves melee characters, because they're simple. He's branching out a little into different things (multiclass rogue/fighter with the flanking feats was his latest innovation). He's looking into Tomb of Battle, which is cool. He loves to powergame but he sucks at it. So I'm not worried. Another (The Mage) only plays arcane casters. He DMs a lot, so he's got a good grasp on arcane casting and usually makes powerful characters, but he's making a damage build (SF Evocation..?) so I'm not too worried there either.

However, my third friend (The Jolly Giant) has recently discovered the shock trooper/leap attack combo combined with the Frenzied Berserker. He's obsessed with it and desperately wants to make a high-damage character. He's also discovered the War Hulk prestiege class from the Minis Handbook. I know that shock trooper/leap attack lends itself well to abuse, and I dont know anything about the War Hulk, except that it's usually tied to abuse. He told me he has to be large, but he can just achieve that with a belt of Enlarge Person, and another enlarge person item as a backup.

Now, since The Dwarf will have a character who will be useful at best, and the Mage will be strong but not "GitP Wizard!" strong, what kind of horror will I be unleashing on my poor module if I allow the War Hulk PrC, and can he even enter it with an enlarged person spell active on him 24/7?

Roethke
2007-04-12, 07:57 PM
Hmm, well it is Ravenloft. It's been awhile, but the DM has a fair bit of leeway, here, if I remember, and cutting your way out doesn't usually come into it. Sure, your Jolly Giant will be a monster in combat, but when he gorges himself on a feast laid out that does STR damage, or the PC's have to deal with some horror that's Huge (read, has reach longer than the war-hulk's), or if you can figure some situation or curse where size/weight is a disadvantage, you're golden.

Or, two very familiar words. Charm Person.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-12, 08:42 PM
Hehe, two options (actually first is just a rule thing). For the War Hulk, I would vote he has to naturally be the required size. And secondly, if you want something that will challenge them, put them in a diplomatic situation.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-12, 08:51 PM
Ravenloft, eh?

The primary challenges in Ravenloft should be things that no amount of physical Strength should be able to help you with. I'm talking about hte psychological assault. (Such an assault may or may not be accompanied by massive amounts of Strength damage and drain, btw. But don't overdo it.)

Just remember, Ravenloft is all about mood. And that mood is Horror.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-12, 08:54 PM
also remember that the world is not a pretty happy place where bunnies and deer roam the open streets.....those animals are all probably undead or hungry for your PC's flesh...

Matthew
2007-04-12, 09:36 PM
Ravenloft doesn't lend itself well to some of the more 'super powered' aspects of D&D. Leap Attack is no big deal by itself, but in combination with certain other Feats it can be a problem if you are relying on Hit Points to make your Monsters scary (you shouldn't be). I wouldn't be inclined to allow Hulking Hurler particularly, but it's up to you.

Seatbelt
2007-04-13, 01:17 AM
Alright. Thanks. I'll talk to my Giant and let him know how I feel on it. I'll let him take up the class eventually (he doesnt meet the requirments at the level they start at), but let him know I'm concerned about the potential abuse and if it gets out of hand I'll have him rebuild his guy.

Rigeld2
2007-04-13, 06:27 AM
Also, War Hulk doesnt really mesh with PA/Leap Attack... 0 BAB/level means hes decreasing potential damage even while increasing STR. 1BAB==3-4 damage. +2 STR/level is 2 damage.