PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [(Joke) Prestige Class] Poultrimancer

Xuldarinar
2015-04-01, 01:28 AM
POULTRIMANCER
-Long has there stood traditions of individuals training to weave magic with the use of a single weapon. The bow and the sword are by far the most common, but there are those blessed with the ability to always have a chicken on hand. Masters of ranged combat, a poultrimancer possess the ability to strike targets with incredible accuracy and can imbue chickens with powerful spells. Chickens hurled by poultrimancers fly at weird and uncanny angles to strike foes around corners, and can pass through solid objects to hit enemies that cower behind such cover. At the height of their power, chickens can be used to slay even the most power foes with a single throw.
-Role: Poultrimancers deal death from afar, invoking confusion in their opponents while their allies rush into hand-to-hand combat. With there capacity to unleash barrages of chickens on the enemy, they represent the pinnacle of nonsense.
-Alignment: Poultrimancers can be any alignment, though with the nature of their abilities, they are seldom lawful. Similarly, it is uncommon to find evil poultrimancers, simply because evil tends to find more intimidating tools and prefers not to get laughed at.
-Hit Die: d10.

Requirements
To qualify to become a poltrimancer, a character must meet all of the following criteria.
Baste Attack Bonus: +6
Feats: Improved Familiar, Throw Anything, Quick Draw
Spells: Ability to cast 1st-level spells.
Special: Their familiar must be a chicken possessing any sort of template (celestial for instance), or a cythnigot that inhabits a chicken.
Drawback: Chicken Infested (When you attempt to draw an item, there is a 50% chance of drawing a live chicken instead. Typically only possessed by commoners.)

Class Skills
The poltrimancer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Handle Animal (Cha), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex), and Survival (Wis).
-Skill Ranks at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table 1-1: POULTRIMANCER
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Spells per Day
1st +1 +1 +1 +0 Enhance chicken (magic), improved chicken throwing-
2nd +2 +1 +1 +1 Imbue chicken+1 level of existing class
3rd +3 +2 +2 +1 Enhance chicken (elemental)+1 level of existing class
4th +4 +2 +2 +1 Seeker chicken+1 level of existing class
5th +5 +3 +3 +2 Enhance chickens (distance), greater chicken throwing-
6th +6 +3 +3 +2 Phase poultry+1 level of existing class
7th +7 +4 +4+2 Enhance chickens (elemental burst)+1 level of existing class
8th +8 +4 +4+3 Hail of chickens+1 level of existing class
9th +9 +5 +5+3 Enhance chickens (aligned), far-flung poultry-
10th +10 +5 +5+3 Chicken of death+1 level of existing class

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the poultrimancer prestige class.
-Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A poultrimancer gains no new proficiencies in weapons or armor.
-Spells per Day: At the indicated levels, a poultrimancer gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in an spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for additional spells per day, spells known (if he is a spontaneous spellcaster), and an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a poultrimancer, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.
-Improved Chicken Throwing (Ex): For the purpose of throwing chickens as weapons, a poultrimancer treats a chicken as an improvised thrown bludgeoning weapon that deals 1d6 points of damage, and a x2 critical. Though a poultrimancer retains their 50% chance of accidentally drawing a chicken when they go to draw an item, a poultrimancer may choose to draw a chicken as a free action. A poultrimancer may treat themselves as proficient with chickens for the purpose of selecting feats such as Weapon Focus. A chicken, when used as a weapon, takes the same amount of damage as dealt to the target. If the chicken thrown is the poultrimancer's familiar, they take this a non-lethal damage.
-Enhance Chickens (Su): At 1st level, every chicken a poultrimancer throws becomes magical, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus. Unlike magic weapons created by normal means, the poultrimancer need not spend gold pieces to accomplish this task. However, a poultrimancer's chickens only function for him and this enhancement bonus only lasts until the chicken comes into contact with something, whether it hits its intended target or not.
-In addition, the poultrimancer’s chickens gain a number of additional qualities as he gains additional levels. The elemental, elemental
burst, and aligned qualities can be changed once per day, when the poultrimancer prepares spells or, in the case of spontaneous spellcasters, after 8 hours of rest.
-At 3rd level, every chicken thrown by a poultrimancer gains one of the following elemental themed weapon qualities: flaming, frost, or shock.
-At 5th level, every chicken thrown by a poultrimancer gains the distance weapon quality.
-At 7th level, every chicken thrown by a poultrimancer gains one of the following elemental burst weapon qualities: flaming burst, icy burst, or shocking burst. This ability replaces the ability gained at 3rd level.
-At 9th level, every chicken thrown by a poultrimancer gains one of the following aligned weapon qualities: anarchic, axiomatic, holy, or unholy. The poultrimancer cannot choose an ability that is the opposite of his alignment (for example, a lawful good poultrimancer could not choose anarchic or unholy as his weapon quality).
-Imbue Chicken (Sp): At 2nd level, a poultrimancer gains the ability to place an area spell upon a chicken. When the chicken is thrown, the spell’s area is centered where the chicken lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the poultrimancer to use the chicken's range rather than the spell’s range. A spell cast in this way uses its standard casting time and the poultrimancer can throw the chicken as part of the casting. The chicken must be thrown during the round that the casting is completed or the spell is wasted. If the chicken misses, the spell is wasted.
-Seeker Chicken (Sp): At 4th level, a poultrimancer can hurl a chicken at a target known to him within range, and the chicken travels to the target, even around corners. Only an unavoidable obstacle or the limit of the chicken’s range prevents the chicken’s flight. This ability negates cover and concealment modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Using this ability is a standard action (and throwing the chicken is part of the action). A poultrimancer can use this ability once per day at 4th level, and one additional time per day for every two levels beyond 4th, to a maximum of four times per day at 10th level.
-Greater Chicken Throwing (Ex): At 5th level, a poultrimancer becomes far more capable with using chickens as weapons. Increase the damage dealt by a thrown chicken by one step, the range increment of the thrown chicken by 10ft, and the critical threat range by 1.
-Phase Chicken (Sp): At 6th level, a poultrimancer can throw a chicken once per day at a target known to him within range, and the chicken travels to the target in a straight path, passing through any nonmagical barrier or wall in its way. (Any magical barrier stops the chicken.) This ability negates cover, concealment, armor, and shield modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Using this ability is a standard action (and throwing the chicken is part of the action). A poultrimancer can use this ability once per day at 6th level, and one additional time per day for every two levels beyond 6th, to a maximum of three times per day at 10th level.
-Hail of Chicken (Sp): In lieu of his regular attacks, once per day a poultrimancer of 8th level or higher can throw a chicken at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for every poultrimancer level she has earned. Each attack uses the poultrimancer’s primary attack bonus, and each enemy may only be targeted by a single chicken.
-Far-Flung Poultry (Ex): At 9th level, a poultrimancer becomes ever more a master at hurling chicken. Increase the range increment for the purpose of throwing chicken by an additional 10ft. In addition, a poultrimancer gains the ability to expend spell slots to further fling chickens, adding 10x the spell slot sacrificed to the range increment of the chicken. Using this ability is a standard action (and throwing the chicken is part of the action).
-Chicken of Death (Sp): At 10th level, the poultrimancer transforms their familiar into a special type of slaying chicken that forces the target, if damaged by the chicken being thrown at them, to make a Fortitude save or be slain immediately. The DC of this save is equal to 20 + the poultrimancer’s Charisma modifier. Using this ability is a standard action (and throwing the chicken is part of the action) that can only be used once per day, and the chicken only functions for this purpose for the poultrimancer to which the familiar belongs. Furthermore, the pourltirmancer's familiar no longer takes any damage from being thrown.

I figured it was time to update the 3.5 poultrimancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?299926-D-amp-D-3-5-(Joke)-PrC)-Poultrimancer-PEACH), basically a reskin of the arcane archer class.

Roish
2015-04-01, 01:14 PM
Can I just say, there is NOT enough optimization for farm-based DnD classes out there. 'You know how many pig-related deaths there are per year??

But seriously. This could probably work as a "[random animal] Tosser" class, too, where you choose some poor animal to specialize in. Imagine some giant specializing in horse chucking. And "Wolverine Tossing" seems like it could actually be potent… :p

Cool class though

PS
Or you could end up with a "Bunny of Death" familiar :smallwink:

PPS
I'm kinda surprised there isn't some kind of "Chicken Whisperer" feature for automatically using Speak with Animals w/ chickens. (I'm sure chickens have some colorful words to say to a Poultrimancer..)

Xuldarinar
2015-04-01, 07:10 PM
Can I just say, there is NOT enough optimization for farm-based DnD classes out there. 'You know how many pig-related deaths there are per year??

But seriously. This could probably work as a "[random animal] Tosser" class, too, where you choose some poor animal to specialize in. Imagine some giant specializing in horse chucking. And "Wolverine Tossing" seems like it could actually be potent… :p

Cool class though

I can imagine other classes that throw various kinds of animals, though I feel it would take a bit of work to adjust it more to having other animals, and it would lose a bit of the original feel of poultry. I may do such a thing sometime, and I certainly welcome others to do it.

PS
Or you could end up with a "Bunny of Death" familiar :smallwink:

That would be for a Necromancer wizard who goes into this class adjusted for bunnies. "Just look at the bones."

PPS
I'm kinda surprised there isn't some kind of "Chicken Whisperer" feature for automatically using Speak with Animals w/ chickens. (I'm sure chickens have some colorful words to say to a Poultrimancer..)

I can well imagine and Im thinking of tossing it in. I can imagine at least the poultrimancer's familiar has some choice words for them, at which point they are prone to throw said familiar.

JeenLeen
2015-04-02, 02:00 PM
As a serious critique to a joke, is Chicken of Death a permanent modification to your familiar, such that it always functions like this, or does it wear off after one Fort save is rolled?

The way Enhance Chickens is phrased, it sounds like they truly become +x chickens, but the bonus only applies when wielded by the poultrimancer. If that's the case, technically I think you could sell them as magic weapons. I'd recommend rephrasing as they are temporarily enchanted with that bonus, and it wears off after a minute or when someone else tries to wield the chicken.

Last serious comment: the pre-reqs seem rather difficult, and can you have a chicken as an Improved Familiar? Less serious: I would recommend allowing animal companion as well.

If this allowed non-area spells to be 'thrown' on the chicken, I could see this working well for Duskblade (decent for pre-reqs, too). Not super well, but well.
A beguiler throwing a chicken to cast an illusion over an area is a funny concept.

Xuldarinar
2015-04-02, 04:07 PM
As a serious critique to a joke, is Chicken of Death a permanent modification to your familiar, such that it always functions like this, or does it wear off after one Fort save is rolled?

Ah, thank you for bringing that up. I should have it worded as functioning for only one use.

The way Enhance Chickens is phrased, it sounds like they truly become +x chickens, but the bonus only applies when wielded by the poultrimancer. If that's the case, technically I think you could sell them as magic weapons. I'd recommend rephrasing as they are temporarily enchanted with that bonus, and it wears off after a minute or when someone else tries to wield the chicken.

Thats a good point, though doesn't this apply to the arcane archer with their arrows? Also, how would you price magical chickens?

Last serious comment: the pre-reqs seem rather difficult, and can you have a chicken as an Improved Familiar? Less serious: I would recommend allowing animal companion as well.

You've a point, so lets run down the requirements.

Baste Attack Bonus: +6 Consistant with the arcane archer, having similar expectations with entry. May lower it though
Feats: Improved Familiar, Throw Anything, Quick Draw Throw anything has no requirements, quick draw requires a BaB of +1, and Improved familiar requires in this case you have 3 levels in an appropriate class.
Spells: Ability to cast 1st-level spells. Already going to have 3+ levels in a casting class so you should have this.
Special: Their familiar must be a chicken possessing any sort of template (celestial for instance), or a cythnigot that inhabits a chicken. Your familiar is a: celestial chicken, entropic chicken, fiendish chicken, resolute chicken, or a cythnigot but you had a chicken familiar once. 3rd level in all but the cythnigot's case which requires 7th.
Drawback: Chicken Infested (When you attempt to draw an item, there is a 50% chance of drawing a live chicken instead. Typically only possessed by commoners.) Only thing that requires you do something out the gate. Typically requiring a level in commoner being your first level.

I can see expanding things to animal companions, though can you have a chicken as one?
I should add a class feature that adds poultrimancer levels to the advancement of the familiar, what do you think?

If this allowed non-area spells to be 'thrown' on the chicken, I could see this working well for Duskblade (decent for pre-reqs, too). Not super well, but well.
A beguiler throwing a chicken to cast an illusion over an area is a funny concept.
I could see those, but I don't know how well those classes work under pathfinder.

JeenLeen
2015-04-03, 09:36 AM
I'm pretty sure magical ammunition is automatically destroyed upon use, but the same doesn't apply for thrown weapons (except those categorized as ammunition, like shurikens.)
I think having the enchantment be temporary is just a good idea to prevent player shenanigans or trying to use it as a loophole for something. I'm not sure how they would be priced, but the +1-5 is the big money option, so it's better to prevent it from coming up.

For Pigeon of Death, since you modify your familiar, I'd actually recommend having the modification be permanent, but it's an at-will 1/day ability you can choose to activate when you throw your familiar. Since your familiar is with you all the time, it seems fitting that you don't have to do this each day; or, if you do, maybe make it part of the hour spent prepping spells?
I'd also recommend making the familiar immune to taking damage when being thrown as part of the level 10 benchmark. I think adding familiar advancement wouldn't be too much, and it helps you have a cooler chicken, which is part of the feel of this.

Pre-reqs still seem a bit prohibitive, but if you're going for the Arcane Archer feel, I can see it.

necroon
2015-04-03, 12:57 PM
I feel like this is nit-picky since we are discussing a class that throws chickens but...

Chicken proficiency is on the class table but not the rules text and Improved Chicken Throwing (Ex) is in the rules text but not the table.

Xuldarinar
2015-04-03, 01:32 PM
I feel like this is nit-picky since we are discussing a class that throws chickens but...

Chicken proficiency is on the class table but not the rules text and Improved Chicken Throwing (Ex) is in the rules text but not the table.

Thank you for catching that, I had changed Chicken proficiency into improved chicken throwing but forgot to change it in the table.

Debihuman
2015-04-04, 01:46 AM
Enhanced Chicken Throwing (see 5th level) and Greater Chicken Throwing (also at 5th level) both allow you to increase your range increment. However, there is no range increment just a 10-foot distance. So the poultrimancer can throw a chicken 20 feet with Enhanced Chicken Throwing, and then he can throw it 30 feet with Greater Chicken Throwing. You might want to spell it out so that it is clear.

Debby