PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alternatives to magical gear?

EisenKreutzer
2015-04-01, 01:46 AM
I'm going to start a new campaign soon, set in my own campaign setting Æl-Ceald. This setting is an ice age/bronze age setting where magic is rare and fantastical. In other words, I don't want the players to swim in +2 swords and Headbands of Intellect.
Now, I realise that the Pathfinder system is balanced around player loot, and that trying to push the game away from that is going to create problems.
The "solution" I had in mind was to use the Mythic rules as a sort of substitute for magical items and equipment, allowing the players to grow in power without the need for a never-ending stream of magical stuff to rain down on them.
Another idea I have had, which is little more than a notion at this point, is to have "charms," magical attachments to weapons representing spirit animals and the like, which confer enchantments to weapons and armor. The idea was to have a small item that, when attached to a weapon or piece of armor, enhanced that piece of gear with a +1 bonus or an enchantment. Now, these would be removable, and I'm not sure if this would create more problems than they would solve.
Does anyone have any ideas for ways to achieve the kind of campaign I want, without absolutely breaking everything?

jaydubs
2015-04-01, 02:01 AM
You could just make WBL inherent to the character, and reflavor it as something else. Every time they level up, they have to undergo some sort of mystical ritual. And when doing so, they can re-arrange the inherent magical power of their bodies.

Which mechanically means they get to select WBL in magic items that just apply to whatever they happen to be using. So instead of wearing a cloak of resistance, they just get a resistance bonus to saves. Instead of buying a +1 flaming weapon, whatever weapon they use acts as a +1 flaming weapon. Instead of buying a +1 breastplate, they have +1 enhancement bonus to armor. And so forth. Basically, customizable Vow of Poverty.

You could then lower it by say, 20-30 percent. And make up the rest in dropped magical loot. The impact of money stays around the same, but magic items become much rarer.

JHShadon
2015-04-01, 02:03 AM
Take a look at Grod's fix for this kind of thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?357810-Chopping-Down-the-Christmas-Tree-Low-Magic-Item-Rules), it's meant for 3.5 but it will work for Pathfinder too.

EisenKreutzer
2015-04-01, 02:08 AM
Take a look at Grod's fix for this kind of thing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?357810-Chopping-Down-the-Christmas-Tree-Low-Magic-Item-Rules), it's meant for 3.5 but it will work for Pathfinder too.

Thats.. Actually awesome! Thanks, I will sit down and digest all of this.

If I do decide to go with the Mythic rules, could I skip the Knack and Gift Feats? I'm a bit sceptical of adding so many new things.