PDA

View Full Version : Specific Magic Weapon

Herzegoth
2015-04-01, 04:13 AM
Heyall!!!

So, it's been a really long time since I played DnD. Last time I played was 3.5 (I consider 4th a glitch in the space-time continuum, therefore it doesn't really exist), and next weekend I'll be playing again...

There's one thing I can't remember. Is it possible to create a specific magic weapon using a different base weapon. In this specific situation, is it possible to create a Crystal Echoblade, but with a cutlass instead of a longsword?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Azoth
2015-04-01, 04:34 AM
It is a case of "Ask your DM." There is no RAW answer one way or another.

Herzegoth
2015-04-01, 04:39 AM
It is a case of "Ask your DM." There is no RAW answer one way or another.

Ah, Ok, thanks!!!

Bronk
2015-04-01, 06:18 AM
Yeah, the rules are basically 'you can make these weapons' and 'you can make custom weapons using these resources', but there's a whole list of special weapons that have unique rules, like the crystal echoblade, that don't appear on any list of choosable options.

So, RAW, no, but ask your DM.

You could still come close to duplicating it by getting your crystal echoblade as a longsword, further enchant it with the morphing property (+1) and turn it into a saber.

Morphing changes the form of your weapon to another within the same category, which for a longsword is 'one handed martial'. Unfortunately, a cutlass is 'light martial', but sabers look pretty close to me. Well, thematically at least... I don't know if you want to use weapon finesse or anything like that.

Herzegoth
2015-04-01, 06:56 AM
Yeah, the rules are basically 'you can make these weapons' and 'you can make custom weapons using these resources', but there's a whole list of special weapons that have unique rules, like the crystal echoblade, that don't appear on any list of choosable options.

So, RAW, no, but ask your DM.

You could still come close to duplicating it by getting your crystal echoblade as a longsword, further enchant it with the morphing property (+1) and turn it into a saber.

Morphing changes the form of your weapon to another within the same category, which for a longsword is 'one handed martial'. Unfortunately, a cutlass is 'light martial', but sabers look pretty close to me. Well, thematically at least... I don't know if you want to use weapon finesse or anything like that.

Yeah, the plan was a slashing finessable weapon for use with Snowflake Wardance... Maybe the DM won't mind...

Thanks!

atemu1234
2015-04-01, 07:24 AM
Yeah, the plan was a slashing finessable weapon for use with Snowflake Wardance... Maybe the DM won't mind...

Thanks!

I hope this works out well for you. Though I, as a DM, see no reason for it to not.

Herzegoth
2015-04-01, 08:43 AM
By the way, in your opinion, Harmonizing weapon enchantment or Lingering Song feat, what's best?

WeaselGuy
2015-04-01, 09:10 AM
By the way, in your opinion, Harmonizing weapon enchantment or Lingering Song feat, what's best?

AFB atm, but in general, "don't solve with a feat, what can be solved with money." An exception to this would be if you are playing a dual-wielder, in which case it sucks paying for two keen weapons.

Andezzar
2015-04-01, 11:01 AM
You could still come close to duplicating it by getting your crystal echoblade as a longsword, further enchant it with the morphing property (+1) and turn it into a saber.Don't forget that the Crystal Echoblade counts at least as a +1 weapon so adding morphing would cost at least the difference betweeen +1 and +2 (6k gp)

Bronk
2015-04-01, 11:13 AM

I agree that the harmonizing enchantment would free up some space on your feat list if you can afford it.

Harmonizing: extra number of rounds equal to charisma bonus.

Lingering Song Feat: 5 extra rounds

You might eventually get more use from Harmonizing depending on your charisma, which should be pretty high in the first place as a bard.

Flickerdart
2015-04-01, 11:15 AM
Yeah, the plan was a slashing finessable weapon for use with Snowflake Wardance.
Feycraft weapons are considered to be one size lighter than their usual size (at the cost of a smaller damage die) for the purposes of Weapon Finesse - so a feycraft longsword for your purposes is pretty much the same as a cutlass. Snowflake Wardance doesn't actually care if a weapon is finessable, as long as it's slashing and wielded in one hand.

Herzegoth
2015-04-01, 11:56 AM
I agree that the harmonizing enchantment would free up some space on your feat list if you can afford it.

Harmonizing: extra number of rounds equal to charisma bonus.

Lingering Song Feat: 5 extra rounds

You might eventually get more use from Harmonizing depending on your charisma, which should be pretty high in the first place as a bard.

Where did you get the "Harmonizing: extra number of rounds equal to charisma bonus." MIC mentions nothing on Charisma bonus... Is there another source or am I reading it wrong?

Feycraft weapons are considered to be one size lighter than their usual size (at the cost of a smaller damage die) for the purposes of Weapon Finesse - so a feycraft longsword for your purposes is pretty much the same as a cutlass. Snowflake Wardance doesn't actually care if a weapon is finessable, as long as it's slashing and wielded in one hand.

Doesn't "For the most part, fey construct feycraft weapons only when they must battle others of their kind. Thus, such weapons are made from cold iron." conflict with a Crystal Echoblade being made of, well, crystal?

Snowflake Wardance doesn't care if the weapon is finessable, but a Light Armor Proficiency only asks for high Dex for AC boost, therefore, I'd like to use said high Dex for attack also...

By all means, correct me where I'm wrong... I do appreciate your input!

Flickerdart
2015-04-01, 01:33 PM
Doesn't "For the most part, fey construct feycraft weapons only when they must battle others of their kind. Thus, such weapons are made from cold iron." conflict with a Crystal Echoblade being made of, well, crystal?
No. For the most part is not exhaustive - while the feycraft weapons that fey use to battle other fey are indeed cold iron, yours does not have to be one of those. Also, not all feycraft weapons are constructed by fey - creatures in the service of fey also craft such weapons (in fact, it says that most feycraft weapons are of this origin), and nothing is mentioned about the use to which these are put (and thus the cold iron thing).

Herzegoth
2015-04-02, 02:59 AM
No. For the most part is not exhaustive - while the feycraft weapons that fey use to battle other fey are indeed cold iron, yours does not have to be one of those. Also, not all feycraft weapons are constructed by fey - creatures in the service of fey also craft such weapons (in fact, it says that most feycraft weapons are of this origin), and nothing is mentioned about the use to which these are put (and thus the cold iron thing).

Ah! :smallbiggrin:

That leaves me plenty of room to work on... :smallwink:

Thanks!

Bronk
2015-04-02, 06:12 AM
Where did you get the "Harmonizing: extra number of rounds equal to charisma bonus." MIC mentions nothing on Charisma bonus... Is there another source or am I reading it wrong?

Sorry, you're right, the MIC version is the definitive one!