PDA

View Full Version : Shackled City - Crash'n'Burn [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

Smeggedoff
2015-04-01, 08:28 AM
Steady drizzle falls from the ash-grey sky. The crowded, rain-slicked buildings seem especially bleak and frightful this evening, hunched together beneath the tireless rain. A few lights burn in their eyes, but mostly their shutters have been closed for the night. The scent of chimney smoke fills the air, and you hear the din of water trundling from the rooftops, splashing into dark alleys, and turning street gutters into rivulets.

A sudden plaintive cry for help splits the evening air. It seems to come from somewhere behind you.

Kish
2015-04-01, 09:27 AM
Irieonna turns around and hurries toward the source of the sound.

Be careful. It could be a trap, a voice says in her head.

I know. Irieonna doesn't try to explain herself further to the crystal. She watches ahead of herself as warily as she can as she runs.

Starbuck_II
2015-04-01, 09:58 AM
Oh no! This doesn't sound very nice. Myka replies to herself and Magnanemla, her house centipede, in one of the pouches in her robe.
A concerned feeling is sent through Myka's mind, Magnus seemed to be feeling toward her.
"Yes, Magnanemla, I'll be careful." Myka says to her centipede. "But I must see if they need our help." Then Myka says skipping along in the direction she thought she heard the cry.
Myka never runs unless she herself is in danger. Plus, she is less likely to draw attention to herself.
"I hope the person who is crying is okay"

meltodowno
2015-04-01, 11:44 AM
Terrence poked his head out of the alley he had been planning to bed down in.

A shout
Danger
Help

He darted out of the alley and bounded towards the sound. He didn't know what he could do, if anything, but he knew he couldn't ignore it.

Karnatil
2015-04-01, 05:01 PM
Bahara shakes his head.

Another innocent. Does evil's appetite never end?

He makes his way over towards the cry - quickly, but not recklessly.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-02, 07:34 AM
You follow the noises to the mouth of a mist-shrouded alley, wherin you see three figures assaulting a fourth, who lies face down on the wet cobblestones. One of the attackers lifts the victim by the hood of his cloak and thrusts him against a wall as another growls, "stay away from the orphanage, you got that?"

Kish
2015-04-02, 07:42 AM
"Ahem." Irieonna walks toward the four figures. "What's going on here?" Her tone is perfectly calm. She looks the figures over.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-02, 08:07 AM
One of the attackers looks up, his face covered with some sort of 8-pointed painted sigil
"Nunya" he growls, "bugger off"

Starbuck_II
2015-04-02, 10:33 AM
"Ahem again, what crime has this beaten fellow done to deserve this?" Myka says without fear when she arrives.
"I can't let innocents suffer no matter the danger. Magnus would never forgive me if I did. Not to mention the Great Panda." She waves her hand sternly to direct him to let the man down.

Wait, the marks on that man's face match the coins that are showing up. What is the deal with this?

Smeggedoff
2015-04-02, 11:10 AM
"Nunya. Business." he reiterates "Youse ain't guards right? so move along yeah?"

Karnatil
2015-04-02, 05:04 PM
Bahara steps forward.

I am a guardian of the innocent. I cannot pass this by. So make your choice: Leave, or I make it my business.

meltodowno
2015-04-02, 05:13 PM
Terrerence's sprint lead to him sliding to a halt at the entrance to the alley. He took a moment to observe the scene playing out before him, before he started advancing down, coming to a halt beside Myka.

He didn't take any aggressive actions, in truth he didn't know if the man on the floor had been the one attacking, but he knew the man was now defenceless.

"Not. Guards." His voice came out deep and primal.

Kish
2015-04-02, 07:10 PM
Irieonna draws her axe, though she doesn't aim it at the strangers yet. "I am afraid I am unwilling to leave without an explanation," she says calmly. Her eyes glow an electric blue briefly.

Manifesting Vigor to gain 5 temporary hit points.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-02, 08:08 PM
The thug that's facing the party sort of goes slackjawed as his primitive lizard-brain connects with the deep-rooted fear of the legendary singular terror that stalks the land
He reaches over to tap his nearby accomplice on the shoulder but misses the first few times, becoming more frantic each time.
"What?" the second thug snaps, one the first has his attention

no response

"for the love of... Barry, what is it, I'm busy-" he turns around "-helping this poor man up after his fall, well, up you get sir, we'll just be on our way now"

the thug helps the man to his feet and slaps him on the back, an act which sends the unsteady gent stumbling towards the party as the two men in facepaint back away to the other end of the alleyway

meltodowno
2015-04-02, 08:40 PM
Terrence tilted his head as he watched their reaction to his presence, but his thoughts raced back to the man they had attacked.

Stay away from the orphanage

Was he a bad man? Had he hurt the children? Terrence loped in closer to the victim of the assault to get a better look at him.

Kish
2015-04-02, 08:42 PM
"Well, that was unexpected." Irieonna hauls the man on the ground to his feet by one arm, turning her head to look at the apparently terrifying new arrival. "Who and what are you?"

Karnatil
2015-04-02, 08:52 PM
Bahara moves closer to the man, keeping an eye on the end of the alley, in case the men return with friends.

Bahamut, aid this man

Activating Aura of Vigor, counting this man as an ally. He has Fast Healing 1 until he reaches half health

Sir, are you OK?

meltodowno
2015-04-02, 09:12 PM
Terrence looked at Irieonna, and thought on his words for a long moment.

"Hamza call. Terrence."

The words came hard for him, he could think of the sentence and the structure, but his throat wasn't used to making the sounds. He knew he needed more practice, but most fled when he talked to them. Perhaps these people might help him practice.

What had Geri taught him again?

Oh yes. When you meet new people, smile to show you are friendly.

Terrence smiled broadly, revealing rows of large dagger-like teeth.

"Who. you ?"

Kish
2015-04-02, 09:13 PM
"That doesn't answer what. But...do you even know? I'm Irieonna." She looks back at the man she's holding up. "Why did those men want you to stay away from the orphanage?" she asks abruptly.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-02, 09:15 PM
((the man's not wounded enough for the aura to do anything))

"O-oh, thank you. Yes I'm fine, just a few bruises" the young man replies, straightening up and wincing
As he does so a heavy silver amulet falls out of his robes, it appears to be a spearhead engraved with flame
"M-my name's Rufus" he says "Might I ask the names of my rescuers?"

At Ireonna's abrupt question he frowns
"w-what? I-I don't know. th-they just attacked me on my way back t-to the t-temple. I w-was trying to k-keep spirits up after the k-kidnappings"

Starbuck_II
2015-04-02, 10:27 PM
Toward Terrence, " I am Myka, what are you? I've never seen one like you before. " She replies very curious about this beast near her.

"What do you know about the kidnappings? Can you show us the way to the orphanage? When someone tells me to stay away, that is where I tend to go." she extends her hand to shake it and greet him., "Myka, how do you do?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-02, 10:51 PM
Rufus shakes the proffered hand
"I could b-but I have to report b-back. If you'd walk me b-back t-to the ch-church then I c-could t-take you afterwards?" he suggests in a hopeful tone of voice

meltodowno
2015-04-02, 11:05 PM
Terrence looked confused by the question of what he was again, truthfully he hadn't put much thought into it himself - he simply was and that was that.

"... nature? I nature."

He hoped that was the right response, he didn't want to offend her. He searched the words at the back of his mind for a more suitable definition, but was left wanting. He watched to two humans interact, he didn't want to make the man any more nervous.

Karnatil
2015-04-03, 12:47 AM
Bahara bows to the assembled group.

Bahara Turain, blessed of Bahamut. A pleasure to meet you all.

Kish
2015-04-03, 06:28 AM
"Which church do you mean?" Irieonna lets the man go and examines the necklace.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-03, 08:04 AM
"Nothing fancy" he replies "Just a local sect of the flamebearers. I c-can't guarantee a reward, but a hot drink is p-probably in the c-cards"

Starbuck_II
2015-04-03, 11:56 AM
"I'd be delighted to join you for a drink. Lead us to this church then and we can get out of this cold street." Myka said happily.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-03, 12:07 PM
Rufus begins to lead everyone through the streets, becoming quite animated and chatty.
If anyone wishes to discuss anything before arrival at your destination, now would be the time.

you defeated some thugs y'all
180xp apiece
(I have no clue how xp is normally done in forum games)

Smeggedoff
2015-04-04, 08:38 AM
(( Gonna assume that means no-one wants to make small-talk n_n))

The two-story Church of the Flamebearers, its white marble walls suffused with veins of vivid blue, stands in stark contrast to the buildings of bare black stone that flank it on the north end of obsidian avenue. A pair of white marble statues depicting armoured warriors stand on either side of the temple's heavy oaken door. Each of the statues raises a flaming weapon enchanted with continual flame, longbow and longsword, to the darkening sky. Above the door's marble architrave are boldly inscribed the following words in Common. "WITHIN LAW LIVES HOPE"

Rufus beckons you inside "C-come in C-come in, watch your head T-terrence"

An acolyte greets him and speaks to him in a low voice, causing him to nod

"Ah, Excuse me friends, I must speak with Jenya, make yourself comfortable"

The acolyte takes you into a side room and provides you all with warm towels and offers you tea while you wait.

Kish
2015-04-04, 08:47 AM
Irieonna eyes the inscription skeptically.

"Thank you," she says to the acolyte.

meltodowno
2015-04-04, 09:00 AM
"Thank you!"

Terrence looked at the tea on the tray in puzzlement.

First he tried putting his claw through the loop unsuccessfully.

The he grabbed the rim and it was too hot.

Then he tried to lap it up and burnt his tongue.

"Tea tricky."

He sniffed the towel and tried a nibble at it before spitting it out.

"This place. Confusing."

Starbuck_II
2015-04-04, 10:52 AM
OCC: (Was going to small talk something in morning, but eh)

"Terrence, the towels are to make you less cold not food. You need to blow on the tea like this, " Myka blows on her tea, "before you sip so it doesn't burn you."

"So a dwarf, two humans, an elf, and a Terrence walk into a flamebearer's church. Sounds like the beginning on a joke, eh" Myka says to the others.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-04, 08:39 PM
"I prefer the one about the duck myself" comes a new voice

Two figures approach from somewhere deeper in the temple. A young woman with premature streaks of grey in her rich brown hair steps forward with her hand outstretched in friendship. She wears a white robe with silver trim and the symbol of the Silver flame around her neck.
"Good evening" says the woman "I have spoken with Rufus and learned of his harrowing ordeal, as well as your remarkable heroism. I'm Jenya, the acting high priest. I am in your debt"

Kish
2015-04-04, 08:42 PM
"The assailants had a strange pattern painted on their faces, and told him to stay away from the orphanage," Irieonna says. "I confess, I'm curious as to what they wanted with him."

meltodowno
2015-04-06, 02:57 AM
"Hell-o!"

Terrence gave his trademark smile, and giving a blow on the tea as instructed.

"No debt. Happy to help fire priest."

He tried a lap of the tea, and this time it didn't burn his tongue.

"Is regular occurrence?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-06, 05:07 AM
"No regular no, a somewhat recent development actually" replies Jenya with a grimace

"If you'd like to follow me into the parlour we can discuss it at length, if you'll stay long enough to hear my proposal that is"

Anyone willing to stay gets led into a modestly appointed room with a warm fire crackling in the hearth

meltodowno
2015-04-06, 05:28 AM
Terrence stares at the fire, somewhat entranced by the flickering flames.

"Many rooms for talking."

Kish
2015-04-06, 07:06 AM
Irieonna follows Jenya into the parlour.

Karnatil
2015-04-06, 07:15 AM
Bahara follows too

Starbuck_II
2015-04-06, 09:50 AM
Follows right behind, "So are the kidnappings been going on long or is that recent too?" Myka says thinking about what was said before.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-06, 11:16 AM
"the first kidnapping was about three months ago" Jenya replies "I'm somewhat ashamed to say that the church didn't get involved at first and left it to the watch, but three days ago four children were kidnapped from the lantern street orphanage. And no matter what those thugs threatened, I'm not going to stop trying to help them"

meltodowno
2015-04-06, 12:07 PM
A low growl emanated from Terrence.

"They take children?"

He racked his brains from what to ask next.

"You say kidnap. Kidnap mean ransom?"

Kish
2015-04-06, 12:09 PM
"Kidnap means to take them somewhere illegally and probably against their will," Irieonna says. "Anyone have a piece of paper and a pen?"

Karnatil
2015-04-07, 12:44 AM
Bahara pats his pockets, and smiles.

Chalk, a stone wall and a cloth, if that's any good for you, but no ink and parchment

He offers the piece of chalk to you, should you want it.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-07, 08:18 AM
"One moment" says Jenya, leaving the room

She returns a short while later with some pieces of paper and sticks of charcoal, handing them to Ireonna before taking a seat

"No ransoms have been received so far, no"

Kish
2015-04-07, 08:30 AM
Irieonna attempts to recreate the image that was on the strangers' faces. When she's done, she asks Jenya, "Does this mean anything to you?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-07, 08:54 AM
Jenya examines the portrait
"It looks like the symbol of the traveller" she replies frowning "that sounds familiar for some reason"

((anyone with knowledge local or bardic knowledge can roll this now, sorry I only just noticed that this was available))

Kish
2015-04-08, 08:13 PM
"The Traveler." Irieonna frowns. "What interest would the Traveler have in orphans?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-08, 08:49 PM
"I'm really not sure" replies Jenya "Maybe that's one of the things you could find out if you accepted the job? Or am I getting ahead of myself. I was hoping, on behalf of the Church of the Flamebearers, to hire the five of you to look into the kidnappings and recover the children."

Starbuck_II
2015-04-08, 10:35 PM
"While we will likely take the job; might I enquire if you have a reward for the task?" Myka said hopeful.

meltodowno
2015-04-09, 05:08 AM
Terrence's head swung back and forth as he paid attention to the conversation, the sentence and word structure, trying to memorize the inflections to improve his own, up until the last exchange at which point he raised his head

"I recover children. Not because you hire. Because it right."

Unlike his previous speech, which was softer round the edges, this time he said it with conviction.

"You want to help? Give money to help us find ... but me hunt them either way."

Kish
2015-04-09, 07:06 AM
"Of course I'll take the job," Irieonna says.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-09, 09:31 AM
"Twenty five hundred gold between you" replies Jenya "Plus the gratitude of the church"

She pulls five tiny bottles stamped with the silver flame from her robes and sets them on a table

"beginning with these, as a show of good faith"

meltodowno
2015-04-09, 03:07 PM
Terrence cocked his head to one side.

"What they?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-09, 03:30 PM
"healing potions" replies Jenya

Kish
2015-04-09, 03:33 PM
"Then thank you." Irieonna picks up one of the bottles. "Do you have any leads for us to pursue?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-09, 04:01 PM
"I'd recommend visiting the orphanage" Jenya replies "You might find something others have missed."

She reaches into her robes and pulls out a scrap of parchment

"However I also have this, it was produced by a church relic. I warranted the situation dire enough to consult it"

The locks are key to finding them. Look beyond the
curtain, below the cauldron. Beware the doors
with teeth. Descend into the malachite hold,
where precious life is bought with gold. Half a
dwarf binds them, but not for long.

Starbuck_II
2015-04-09, 07:36 PM
" This seems to be a riddle, but I haven't the foggiest. Well, team, I guess we check out this orphanage. I bet we will at least find some cute kids while gathering clues." Myka giggles as she finishes speaking. She grabs her potion hoping she won't need it anytime soon.

Karnatil
2015-04-10, 12:36 AM
Bahara takes his potion with thanks, and begins contemplating the riddle

meltodowno
2015-04-10, 07:17 AM
"To orphanage!"

Terrence turned to leave excitedly, before stopping at the door and turning back round, a mildly quizzical look on his face.

"..... where orphanage?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-10, 08:18 AM
Jenya covers her mouth to stifle a laugh before replying "It's on Lantern street dear"
She leans to the closest party member and whispers "Exuberant thing isn't he?"

Kish
2015-04-12, 04:31 PM
"So he seems."

If "on Lantern Street" or preexisting knowledge is sufficient for Irieonna to think she knows the way to the orphanage, she'll head out without further comment.

If not, she'll ask for more specific directions.

meltodowno
2015-04-12, 05:41 PM
Terrence will happily follow along, himself not been a native of cauldon.

Starbuck_II
2015-04-14, 09:35 AM
Myka she follows along hoping that they can find the clues at this orphanage.

Karnatil
2015-04-14, 11:17 AM
Bahara pauses before leaving.

"Excuse me, but do you know if there is anything linking those kidnapped? Were they all of the same race, same age, anything physically similar about them, or where they were taken from?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-14, 02:49 PM
Jenya shakes her head
"No, not that I know of, although you may be able to procure a list of those missing from the guard"

(going to answer any further questions retroactively so I can keep this moving forward)

The orphanage rests of the corner of Lantern Street and Lava Avenue, its charcoal-coloured stones held together with mold-encrusted mortar. The windows on both stories are tightly shuttered, but a few slivers of light managed to escape from within. Lanterns hang on either side of the oaken front door, mounted to which is a green copper knocker shaped like a smiling gargoyles visage, it's nostrils pierced by a copper ring.

Kish
2015-04-14, 02:50 PM
Irieonna knocks on the door.

Irieonna opens the door and walks inside.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-14, 03:11 PM
A short while after Irieonna knocks on the door, there is the *thunk* pause *thunk* of wood on wood getting louder and then the click-clack-shunk of a lock and the door opens a crack
A wizened face peers out into the dark at about waist height on a human (probably closer to chest height on irieonna) and squints in suspicion

"Who sent ya?" she snaps

Kish
2015-04-14, 03:14 PM
"The flamebearers sent us," Irieonna replies. "We hear you have a problem with people being abducted. We're here to help you."

Smeggedoff
2015-04-15, 09:56 AM
The halfling looks you up and down again
"Don't look like no Flamebearer" she sniffs "got proof?"

Kish
2015-04-15, 10:03 AM
"They gave us these. I'm going to take a bottle out of my pack now." Irieonna pulls out the bottle she got from the Flamebearer and shows it to the woman.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-15, 10:15 AM
She eyes the bottle for a long few seconds before nodding
"Yup, alright. Come in" she declares, closing the door to remove the chain "wipe yer feet, that goes fer yer lizard too. Sorry I'm a bit on edge, can't be too careful these days"
She leads you through to the kitchen where she scales a ladder to put a large kettle on to the stove and then climbs back down and hoists herself up onto a stool with a grunt
"So, what can I do for you all?"

meltodowno
2015-04-15, 03:32 PM
Terrence wiped his feet as instructed and followed.

"Here to eat kidnappers. Know where they is? Me hear they steal childrens and that is bad!"

He paused a moment to let his mind catch up with mouth.

"What happened when they was stolen? Does they have lizard here to protect them?"

Starbuck_II
2015-04-15, 09:38 PM
Myka wipes her feet, "So, as my friend here comments, we need information. We are researching how to stop the kidnappings. We can't abide by this villainry."

Smeggedoff
2015-04-16, 05:28 AM
"Don't know where the kidnapper is, if'n I knew he'd have me boot up his arse by now. If information's what ye want, ask away, ye can talk to the staff too if that's what ye want but don't wake the kids" she replies

Kish
2015-04-16, 09:10 PM
Irieonna returns the bottle to her pack and wipes her feet politely. "Do you have any leads?" she asks. She waits for the answer to that question before continuing, "Does the Malachite Hold mean anything to you? Or 'doors with teeth'?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-18, 12:04 PM
she thinks for a moment before replying with a shake of her head "Nope, never heard of this mackylite thing or bitin' doors. Can't think of any leads, noone noticed nothin', part from it's the damndest thing, all the kiddies were locked in their bedrooms as usual and the doors were still locked in the mornin'"

Kish
2015-04-18, 01:35 PM
"That suggests one of two things that comes to mind: An inside job, or magic. Do you trust all your employees?" Irieonna asks.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-18, 02:05 PM
"With me life" she snaps

Starbuck_II
2015-04-18, 05:54 PM
"May we check one of the rooms that they were stolen from? There could be clue left by the perpetrators. An empty one that someone recently was kidnapped will do. "Myka says concerned.

Karnatil
2015-04-20, 09:45 AM
"Sorry to ask, but if the doors were locked before and after the kidnappings, how many keys to the door are there, and who has access to them? It may be magic, but we must rule out the mundane as well."

Smeggedoff
2015-04-20, 01:22 PM
"ye can as long as you're quiet" she replies "and there's only the one key"
She pulls a key from her blouse, hung on a chain around her neck

Kish
2015-04-20, 01:52 PM
"No one else has access under any circumstances? You lock them all in personally every night? Hm." Irieonna strokes her beard. "Have you left the key anywhere for any reason any time recently? Someone might have copied it."

Smeggedoff
2015-04-20, 02:03 PM
"Nope, not lost the key since I had them locks installed. Muckle-damned things cost enough" she replies sourly

meltodowno
2015-04-22, 10:01 AM
"Any staff here when children were stolen?"

Terrence quizzed, certain that even if they didn't have a protective lizard they must surely have some defense other than a locked door.

"Also Also. When were locks put in ?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-23, 07:42 PM
"yep. Staff all live in. None of us heard a thing." She replies "And we had the locks done up all nice more'n a few years back by that Ghelve feller before he got all popular and put his prices up"

Kish
2015-04-23, 08:22 PM
"I wonder if this Ghelve keeps duplicate keys for all his locks or something. We should talk to him, if you can direct us to him, but first, may we see the rooms of the disappeared?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-23, 09:14 PM
Most locals would know where to go to find a craftsman in town, but Gretchyn tells you she thinks his shop's on Lava avenue, but it's been a while

"Aye I suppose" she replies, sliding off her chair. "come on then, just don't excite the wee'uns"

Gretchyn leads you to the upper floor where there are two large bedrooms. one for girls and one for boys, each filled with cots and children of varying races

Karnatil
2015-04-27, 06:33 PM
Did the kidnappers take just girls, just boys, or some of each?

Bahara will also look into the boy's room, to see if there are any other entrances other than the door.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-27, 07:41 PM
Gretchyn sucks on her teeth for a short while while thinking
"Well let's see, it was Terrem, little rascal, he's 9 just last month. Lucinda and Evelyn too, never go anywhere without each other, 8 and 9. Lastly was Deakon, cute as a button, but they always are in their twenties I find"
She ponders for a further moment
"So, two of each. Why, think it matters?"

Kish
2015-04-28, 09:37 AM
"It could, but it sounds like a coincidence. I doubt we can search the rooms for secret passages without disturbing the children, and I have no great skill at searching anyway," Irieonna says quietly.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-28, 12:01 PM
Gretchyn nods in a sagely fashion for a moment before lickety-split quick as lightning, unlocks and opens the door, causing a small pile of children to fall away from their listening positions.
"Well" she says crisply, glaring at the sheepish-looking children "since they're up anyway, you may as well take a look. Just be quick if ye please"

Kish
2015-04-28, 12:14 PM
"Hello," Irieonna says to the children, reflecting with brief amusement that it's convenient right now that humans are so oversized. "Do you know anything about the disappearance of some of your fellows?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-28, 12:34 PM
there's much prodding of elbows but the eldest girl eventually pipes up
"No miss. No-one saw anything." she says "But Kellyn from the boys side kept talking about a nightmare. But we told the others already anyway"

Kish
2015-04-28, 12:37 PM
"Thank you. I should talk to Kellyn about details."

Smeggedoff
2015-04-28, 01:23 PM
Gretchyn shuffles down the hall and unlocks the second room
In this room all the children appear to be asleep until Gretchyn announces "Alright you can stop pretending"

There's a pause before all the boys begin "waking up" theatrically, overacting tiredness
"Why, matron, whatever *fake yawn* brings you here in the middle of the night?" a boy pipes up

"can it macdonald" Gretchyn replies "We both know the only reason you're not in trouble right now is because you heard me busting the girls, so don't push it"

The boy gives the classic 'would I ever?' gesture

meltodowno
2015-04-29, 12:52 PM
Terrence ignored the ongoing interrogation, having little to add and not really knowing how a nightmare would help solve the issue, so he turned his attention back to the children at the girls dorm.

"Nice place! Hope all ok! You not see anything ? Can show where the missing ones slept please ?"

He stepped into the room.

"Very brave you childrens! Terrence very impressed! Want to help look for clues?"

Diplomacy to make good impress/make the cooperative
[roll0]

Search check for looking for clues
[roll1]

Spot check to check none of them are acting weirdly
[roll2]

Smeggedoff
2015-04-29, 01:32 PM
Most of the kids seem somewhere between impressed and wary, but nothing is suspicious
The eldest, who introduces herself as Charity Constance, shows you to the empty beds.
You find no clues, but then you were a little distracted when a tiny little thing clutching a teddy bear tugged on your tail, looked up with huge puppy-dog eyes, an asked if you were a turtle

meltodowno
2015-04-29, 01:38 PM
[roll0]

Terrence turned to look at the small child

"Turtles live in sea, this not sea so Terrence not turtle. Also, Terrence not have shell. But it ok! Turtle can't juggle, and Terrence excellent juggler!"

He turned back to Charity Constance.

"You smart! Who you think do this?" he narrowed his eyes suspiciously "It wasn't those land turtles was it? Me here they the worst. Tall as a human and twice as ugly."

Kish
2015-04-29, 01:42 PM
"Which one of you is Kellyn?" Irieonna asks.

(Assuming someone speaks up)

"I hear you've been saying something about a nightmare lately. Will you tell me about it?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-29, 02:00 PM
@Melto
The small child nods sagely, seemingly satisfied with your explanation
"I couldn't say sir, I didn't see anything." she pushes her glasses up before continuing "Besides, everyone knows Cauldron doesn't have a sophisticated enough sewer system to support land turtles"

@Kish
A small boy is pushed forward, shaking
"'s miss" he squeaks "There w's a little person on my bed miss. Trying to steal my breath"

Kish
2015-04-29, 02:04 PM
"Littler than me? Exactly how big?" Irieonna holds up her hand at a height of about two feet.

Smeggedoff
2015-04-29, 03:06 PM
Kellyn moves your hand to around four feet

meltodowno
2015-04-29, 03:23 PM
"Me like you! Ever in danger, let Terrence know. Terrance protect!"

He grinned broadly

"But see nothing not mean hear nothing. Childrens talk. What you hear may has done this? Smart children know when to listen and when to tell Terrences' what they hear ... Terrences' always listen when adults not."

Kish
2015-04-29, 06:39 PM
"Same height as me. Did this little man otherwise resemble me, or is there anything else you can tell me about his looks?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-30, 02:10 AM
@Melto
Charity thinks for a moment
"Noone tells children much of anything sir. Although..." she bites her lip "I don't want to get anyone in trouble..."

@Kish
"Skinnier miss. With blue skin, maybe, or grey. It's hard to remember"

meltodowno
2015-04-30, 03:28 AM
Terrence bowed his head in acknowledgement.

"No trouble. Terrence only want help."

Smeggedoff
2015-04-30, 03:43 AM
"Wellllllll" She drops her voice to a whisper "One of the boys that went missing, Terrem. I've noticed the janitor watching him sometimes..."

Kish
2015-04-30, 07:33 AM
"And what exactly did this skinny little man do?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-30, 07:34 AM
"Tried to steal my breath, like I said"

Kish
2015-04-30, 07:40 AM
"But how? By looking at you? Gesturing? Touching your neck?"

Smeggedoff
2015-04-30, 07:45 AM
The child shrugs
"don't remember. Can never really remember dreams that well"

Karnatil
2015-05-01, 12:44 AM
Bahara will have a look around while the children are questioned, looking for alternative entrances

[roll0]

(Also, anyone looking around within 30' of Bahara will get +1 to listen and spot checks at the moment)

Smeggedoff
2015-05-01, 02:02 AM
Bahara finds no hidden passages, a quick look at the non-hidden doors confirms they both have the same makers mark however (KG) and do not seem to have been tampered with.

Kish
2015-05-01, 12:50 PM
"I'm not much good at searching, though if it wouldn't disturb the children it would likely be a good idea to take the time for a more thorough search," Irieonna says to Bahara. "Otherwise, I think talking to the janitor is our next step."

Starbuck_II
2015-05-04, 08:50 AM
"So, we are looking for a blue little person who steals breath? Strangest thing I ever heard." Myka says.

"The child mentioned dreams... could it steal people in their dreams. Is that possible?" Myka thought to herself.

[roll0]

Smeggedoff
2015-05-05, 05:57 AM
Gretchyn harrumphs from the door "Do ye want to speak to Patch then? Because I'll go wake him if you do"

meltodowno
2015-05-05, 09:46 PM
"Yes. Please." Terrence replied as he returned to the others "Me like word with hims."

Smeggedoff
2015-05-06, 12:13 PM
Gretchyn potters off, returning after 10 minutes or so.
"Patch is in the kitchen when ye want to speak to him"

Karnatil
2015-05-06, 12:16 PM
Thank you.

Bahara will inform the group that he can find no alternative entrances, and no evidence of lock tampering. Just the locksmith's mark, KG, on both locks.

We may need to speak with the locksmith, to see if he has a duplicate key that someone may have stolen. But first, Patch.

meltodowno
2015-05-06, 05:51 PM
"Ok!"

Terrence heads off down the hall and around a corner. Then he comes back.

"Where kitchen ?"

Smeggedoff
2015-05-08, 11:13 AM
"Downstairs, where the kettle is" replies Gretchyn

Anyone heading back downstairs finds a sleepy looking half-orc cradling a mug at the kitchen table. True to his name, he's wearing an eyepatch.

Kish
2015-05-08, 11:20 AM
"Hello, Patch," Irieonna says. "Do you know anything about any of the children who disappeared?"

Smeggedoff
2015-05-08, 02:10 PM
"Know lotsa stuf" replies the half-orc, looking at you warily "Work here, gotta know things."

Kish
2015-05-08, 02:12 PM
That could be an evasion, the voice in Irieonna's mind points out helpfully. She smiles at the half-orc and says, "Tell me about Terrem, Patch."

Smeggedoff
2015-05-08, 03:00 PM
"What you want know? Humie orphan, look like any other humie" he replies

Gonna need rolls if you're trying to grill him. Intimidate seems to fit here

Kish
2015-05-13, 12:35 PM
"What is the reason for your interest in him?"

Intimidate check: [roll0]

Smeggedoff
2015-05-13, 11:08 PM
the orc begins sweating
"Is me job I MEAN uh, yeah, me cleaning job to uh keep der kiddies safe and not me job to be watching him for da Journeymen because me wouldn't be harming hairs on dey heads"

He looks rather proud of his answer and you swear you can hear grinding metal and smell burning grease for a moment before his forehead impacts the table causing the whole thing to bow with a splintering noise

"Zoggit!" he cries before bursting into tears "Dey tole me to keep me eye on im but nuffin else!" he sobs

meltodowno
2015-05-14, 05:14 AM
Terrence let out a low growl.

"Who?"

Smeggedoff
2015-05-14, 01:45 PM
"Da journeymen" he sniffles "dey asked me to watch him cos of on account of is parents, but I nevah woulda if ida known somefn like dis would appen"
he rubs his eye "Please dun tell da matron, I wouldn do anyfin to harm da kids. ya gots ta believe me"

Kish
2015-05-14, 01:47 PM
"Who are the journeymen and what do you know about his parents?" Irieonna asks.

Smeggedoff
2015-05-14, 06:58 PM
"Dey's da feeves gild" he replies, sniffling "And I dunno nuffink bout his parents. Jus dat I was tol dat dey was watchin him on account of how dey died"

Karnatil
2015-05-18, 07:57 PM
"How they died? How did they die?"

Smeggedoff
2015-05-19, 07:11 AM
Patch shrugs "Dunno, wasn' tole"

Kish
2015-05-20, 01:26 PM
"What exactly did they tell you, and where did you meet with them?" Irieonna asks.

Smeggedoff
2015-05-20, 02:10 PM
"Used ta go for drinks wiv mistah twindaggas but at a different pub e'd pick each time. e tole me 'Patch, you keeps your eyes on Terrem and we makes it worth youse whiles' and dat din't seem like it was hutin' noone so I did. Haven' seen im for a munf tho" the orc says

Kish
2015-05-23, 08:21 AM
"You have no means of getting in contact with him or any of the other journeymen? You just wait for them to contact you?"

Smeggedoff
2015-05-24, 10:21 AM
"Sorry" patch shrugs "'m not achully a journeyman, just gettin' paid to do a fing"

meltodowno
2015-05-24, 11:26 AM
Terrence sniffed at Patch as he circled him.

"He sell out childrens safety. Want me eat?"

He raised his head a few inches in challenge.

"He bad monster. Not even protect his children. Children deserve better monster."

He turned to walk away and grumbled.

"He useless. Lets go find lockman." he turned to glance back at Patch "If children hurt ... you find good place to hide, I will be hungry."

Kish
2015-05-30, 10:15 PM
Irieonna nods. "Indeed, my strange friend, I think the locksmith is our next stop. We might need to talk to you again," she adds to the orc. "Don't be hard to find, or we'll be mildly annoyed when we find you." She turns to leave with Terrence. You two gave him contradictory instructions, the voice in her head points out; she doesn't bother to reply.

meltodowno
2015-05-31, 01:45 AM
As they exited Terrence turned to Irieonna

".... what is locksmith ?"

He hadn't wanted to raise his query in front of them, but it had come to the point where he would need to know, and nobody had been as forthcoming with additional information as he had hoped.

His head sunk a little. This world was so confusing.

Kish
2015-05-31, 08:45 AM
"Someone who makes locks and keys." Irieonna considers Terrence, then adds, "Do you know what those are?"

meltodowno
2015-05-31, 10:22 AM
"Holes and sticks ?" Terrence replied swiftly, he had seen the the others call the hole on the door a lock, and he had seen the children using those and sticks back on the farm.

"Only right stick fit right hole, me think? Terrence not know why need ... other animals not need."

Kish
2015-05-31, 10:26 AM
"Yes, well, we're not other animals. Every species is different. And most simply live with the risk of an enemy killing their children, but if the lock hadn't been bypassed somehow, it would have kept the children safe."

meltodowno
2015-05-31, 11:34 AM
Terrence groused a little.

"Monster should have kept safe. Monsters not easily bypassed... if monster not sell what he know ... children would have been safe."

He sighed deeply.

"Bad monster not know how to protect childrens. You know where locksmeeth is ?

Kish
2015-05-31, 11:37 AM
"Lava Avenue. Shouldn't be hard to find in any event."

Smeggedoff
2015-06-09, 08:20 AM
((apologies for the delay, I checked the subscription alert at work, didn't have the materials I needed at hand to advance the plot, and forgot by the time I got home. Mea Culpa))

The group makes their way to Lava avenue (unless anyone declares intent to stay behind)

A small turret dominates the facade of this two-storey black stone building. Iron bars are embedded in the thick window frames. Beyond the turret's ground-floor windows sits a lovely display of locks, from the large to small, simple to complex. To the left of the turret, above a heavy oak door, swings a simple sign that reads "GHELVE'S LOCKS"

Kish
2015-06-12, 04:47 PM
Irieonna opens the door boldly (assuming it's not locked) and looks inside.

If it's dark in there, remember she has darkvision. If it's locked, or if it's well lit for business as usual, that doesn't matter. As an OOC question, do you plan to rerecruit for replacement players, rescale the encounters to be survivable by the two of us, or throw us into the deep end and see if we sink or swim?

Smeggedoff
2015-06-18, 12:34 PM
The door is indeed locked at this late hour

I was considering merging the threads, but I may just seek replacements. I'll write something up and post it while at work tonight.

Kish
2015-06-18, 12:39 PM
Irieonna knocks.

Breaking in would likely be frowned on by the law, but coming back in the morning means more hours for something awful to happen to the children, the voice in her mind points out.

You're so helpful, she thinks back at it. No point--if the crystal understands irony, it's never admitted it to her.

She knocks again, louder.

meltodowno
2015-06-18, 12:56 PM
Terrence observed the knocking activity and wagged his tail in excitement! She too like to hit things!

"If you want hit door down, need put more weight into it!" Terrence added.

Smeggedoff
2015-06-18, 01:46 PM
After a short delay there's the sound of unlocking and a second floor window overlooking the street opens, a gnome in a fez and smoking jacket leaning out to see who's at the door

"Shop's closed friends" he calls "Come back after sunrise eh?"

Kish
2015-06-18, 01:50 PM
"We're not here as customers. We need to talk to you, it's urgent," Irieonna calls back up. "Lives are at stake."

Smeggedoff
2015-06-18, 01:57 PM
The gnome takes a few puffs on a pipe with a speculative look on his face
"Hmm. I don't know. It's late, I'm in my pyjamas, and I'm not in any state to discuss business *puff puff* Mine OR yours. I'd really rather you came back tomorrow."
*puff puff*
"...Whose lives?"

Diplomancy check please

Kish
2015-06-18, 01:59 PM
[roll0]

Now to find out if I need to ask questions about how the law in these parts reacts to breaking and entering...

Smeggedoff
2015-06-18, 02:05 PM
Keygan shakes his head
"No no, nevermind. It can wait until morning. Go get a good nights sleep friend, I'm sure this business will keep a few hours. I'm not sure what a humble, brilliant, genius locksmith could help you with anyway."
He takes another few puffs on the pipe before tapping the bowl out
"Toodleoo, see you in the morning"
He retreats back inside

Kish
2015-06-19, 11:45 AM
Irieonna sighs in irritation. "Too much potential for delay if we break in," she mutters. "Mr. Whose Lives had better hope no harm comes to any children tonight. We...should probably go home, sleep until morning, and come back here then."

Smeggedoff
2015-06-19, 11:49 AM
((Ok, lemme know if you're doing anything else this night. if not then I'll skip to morning once you're finished any RP you want to do))

meltodowno
2015-06-19, 11:59 AM
Terrence did something reminiscent to a frown, before turning back to the door and thudding his head against it to knock.

"Mr Lockman! Friend not know how to speak good like me. A moment please! You not know us, and we done nothing to earn your kinship .... but .... children are missing. Young ones. They have nobody but us to rescue them, and we want speak to you to help us find how they got in. We could come back in morning, but by then the childrens may have been moved or eaten .... or worse. Time not on our side sir ... and we would be thankful if yous would help."

He sighed deeply.

"But if your sleep is more important than the lives of orphans, we could return in the morning. Please at least think of it overnight!"

Go go godzilla diplomacy!
[roll0]

Smeggedoff
2015-06-19, 12:17 PM
There's a long pause before the sound of many locks being drawn back echoes into the street and the door opens to reveal the same gnome still dressed for bed, bunny slippers and all
"come in" he sighs "I'll put some tea on."

meltodowno
2015-06-19, 12:24 PM
Terrence turned to look at Ireonna, and indicated with his head that he was allowing her to go first.

Kish
2015-06-19, 12:28 PM
"I'll let you do the talking in the future," Irieonna murmurs as she heads into the locksmith's.

meltodowno
2015-06-19, 12:32 PM
Terrence followed inside, observing what was on display in the shop.

Smeggedoff
2015-06-20, 07:50 AM
This storefront smells of wood and pipe smoke. Two padded chairs flank a hearth containing a small yet lively fire. The fireplace's carved mantle bears a tinderbox, a small vase of dried smoking leaves, and a finely wrought collection of pipes. A burgundy strip of carpet leads from the entrance to the wall across from it, where dozens -perhaps hundreds- of keys hang from tiny hooks. The keys come in all shapes and sizes. A handsomely engraved mahogany counter stretches along one wall. Behind it hangs a red curtain that neatly hides the rest of the store.

Keygan closes and locks the door behind you before gesturing at the chairs and vanishing through the curtain.
Shortly afterwards he returns with a tray containing a teapot, some small jars, a jug of milk, and several fine cups.

"So" He says, pouring three cups "What's this about hmm? This business that's important enough to drag an honest businessman out of bed"

Kish
2015-06-20, 09:51 AM
Irieonna stares intently at the curtain as the gnome disappears behind it. She reaches into a belt pouch and withdraws a crystal. As she drops the crystal to the floor, it grows spindly legs. "Look beyond the curtain, below the cauldron," she repeats. Hide to the side of the curtain, and when the gnome comes back in, go back there and tell me what you see, she mentally commands the crystal.

When the gnome returns, she turns her attention to him. "Three days ago, four children were kidnapped from the Lantern Street Orphanage," she tells him. "They were locked in--behind one of your locks--but someone was able to bypass the lock, kidnap them, and leave the door still locked. The key at the orphanage was accounted for, so we wondered if, perhaps, you keep duplicate keys to the locks you make, and your copy of the key might have been stolen."

Smeggedoff
2015-06-20, 02:27 PM
((Hide and move silently for your crystal please))

Kish
2015-06-20, 02:31 PM
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

lonewolf1210
2015-07-07, 12:23 PM
Steel Wind stomps through the night, as always with his glaive at the ready. Melodia, the little pixie, walked slightly in front of him. She had explained to him that she is not done growing up yet and her wings arent powerful enough to carry her, but they soon would be.
"Growing Up" is such a wierd concept. He still cant really figure out why flesh-people go through this phase of beeing quite useless at everything. And now he is helping the pixie find more of those "children" as these still useless people are called. He doesnt understand why this is important. Cant they simply make more of them? And while theyŽre at it, make them fully grown and useful? All this childhood thing seems to be highly inefficient.
But he had promised his help to Melodia. Her wizard skills might be useful at some later point and he could use a few squadmembers for anything he might want to accomplish.

As they reached the locksmiths place, he stands back and lets Melioda take the lead. He was here for protection and this mission was under her command.

ThorgrimThunder
2015-07-07, 04:40 PM
As Melodia and her over-sized steel companion travel along the road towards the locksmith she thinks back to her days in the orphanage. It was several years ago, and she had come so far, but this clandestine snooping harked back to the days before she apprenticed to Simeon. What she would have given to have the capable Steel Wind at her back in those days.
That musing brought them to their destination, and Melodia stopped several doors down, seeing some strange creature and a dwarf slip through the door.
"Stay here and watch my back please." Melodia piped in her high voice.
"I'm going to see if I can learn anything from outside."

Melodia approaches the door quietly and bends down to listen and see if she can overhear what's happening inside.
Move silently [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

lonewolf1210
2015-07-08, 03:54 AM
Steel Wind only nods in response. Beeing rearguard was a duty he understood all too well. The only real irritating thing about it was the lack of a suitable amount of soldiers under his command to accomplish it properly. Analyzing the potential battlefield, he would have liked two men each covering 2 alleys, two men on that roof over there prepared to give cover fire and 3 more held in reserve to be sent wherever the attack came from.
But he had to do it alone. Working without the benefit of larger groups of soldiers was an adjustment heŽd have to make in this time where the war was over.

meltodowno
2015-07-08, 01:09 PM
Terrence nodded as best he could at Irieonna's words

"Or know someone good enough to pick your locks. Had much anger about locks not working ?"

Smeggedoff
2015-07-10, 10:16 AM
If players think their characters would be aware enough, they may roll to try and hear the pixie sneaking around outside))

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Inside
Keygan stops in his tea making and turns to look at the curtain your crystal's just passed.
He turns back to look at his pair of guests "Did either of you hear that?" he asks, placing down the teapot and moving to the curtain "didn't sound like a rat..."
He's about to pull back the curtain when he seems to hear something else
"And that sounds like someone skulking around outside! What an evening. Excuse me won't you?"
He moves to the shop door and slides back a plate

Outside
Melodia moves fairly quietly to the door. She slides a little on the wet cobbles and a small pebble goes skittering, but no matter, you'd need hearing like a bat to pick that up through a door.
Or a gnome it seems, as a security panel set fairly low in the door slides open illuminating the young fae with a square of light and a fair of eyes set in a firm expression peer out
"Can I help you miss?" Asks Keygan

Back room
Black curtains partially obscure a window niche that faces the street. Ornate locks and complex locking mechanisms are neatly displayed in the niche. The room itself looks tidy, but lived in. Carpets cover the stone floor, and a broom leans against the railing of a wooden staircase leading up to a second floor balcony. Three wooden chests rest in the middle of the floor, their lids bound shut with sturdy iron padlocks. Small tables, shelves, and benches hold various knick-knacks, and a framed portrait of a silver-haired gnome hangs next to a tall wooden box at the base of the stairs. The wooden box contains an intricate array of ticking gears, counter-weights, and cylindrical chimes, surmounted by a circular face that bears the numerals 1 through 12 on its circumference.

((So, both npc's rolled really well on listen but not spot. However Melodia didn't roll hide :P))

ThorgrimThunder
2015-07-10, 09:09 PM
Melodia takes a small step back.
"Sir, your locks were used at the Lantern Street Orphanage. And those locks failed to keep out someone, multiple someones, or possibly a something. Whatever it was stole children from that orphanage. While I'm not trying to imply you had something to do with it, you are a noteworthy locksmith, and the number of people who could bypass them can't be that large... Also I noticed you had some midnight visitors, and the possibility that you had something to do with the kidnappings may have crossed my mind."
While speaking Melodia tries to see into the shop, making sure nothing scarier than the gnome is waiting behind the door.

Spot [roll0]

Kish
2015-07-11, 08:30 PM
Keep searching, Irieonna directs her crystal. She makes no particular effort to be visible or invisible from the street; the axe across her back likely makes her scarier than the gnome.

lonewolf1210
2015-07-13, 06:54 AM
The door opening wasnt really part of the plan as far as Steel Wind knew, so stealth wasnt really a priority anymore. And if he wanted to protect Melodia heŽd need to be a bit closer. So he slowly(=>2 rounds of single move only) closes the distance to the shop from about 60ft to 20ft behind the pixie. He does so intentionally in the open to not suprise anyone, and while he doesnt MEAN to intimidate anyone, his appearance could have that effect anyway.

Once there he simply stands and listens, not talking unless beeing addressed specifically.

meltodowno
2015-07-13, 09:56 PM
Terrence made no effort to hide, for he was here legitimately, so he politely waited for the shop owner to finish his conversation, humming a tune he had heard from one of the street performers he had seen earlier in the day. He eventually inclined his head towards Irieonna.

"Want eat later?"

He had learned that eating food together was something of a social contract tying people together, and so he hoped that such an offer may tie him to his first friend in the big city.

He pondered to himself

Wonder what they eat? Got to like meat. Everyone likes meat. Except squirrels, but nobody trusted those guys.

Smeggedoff
2015-07-14, 07:12 PM
Melodia & Steel wind
Melodia sees nothing through the panel, as it's blocked by a gnome's head. She does remember a dwarf and a big lizard entering shortly before she did though

Keygan sputters
"Preposterous! I'm not going to stand here and be accused by a bit of fluff and her golem at this time of night! And I'm certainly not having tea with any kidnappers! Good evening!"
He slams the little panel shut and wanders over to the tea tray, fixing himself a cup before turning to the two of you
"You're not kidnappers are you? You don't strike me as the subtle type"

Irieonna
Is your crystal taking any further pains to be stealthy after passing through the curtain? Also, spot check for it please, and listen if applicable.

Kish
2015-07-14, 07:31 PM
"Sure," Irieonna responds to the strange creature's invitation in bemused tones.

When the gnome turns back to her, she tells him dryly, "Oh, we're very unsubtle."

The crystal continues to sneak.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

lonewolf1210
2015-07-15, 04:14 AM
Steel Wind walks up towards Melodia and asks:
"Should I classify the people in this room as enemies?"
While waiting for an answer, he looks at the door, trying to estimate if he could simply ram through it, or if he would have to find something to use as battering ram. It is pretty obvious that he would go into full on soldier mode if the answer to his question is yes.

ThorgrimThunder
2015-07-15, 11:46 AM
"I don't think that's called for yet my metallic friend; although that gnome was quite rude."
Melodia ponders for a moment.
"Do you think you could break down the door if it became necessary? Although that probably wouldn't go over very well with the watch... Hmmm. Did you see any other ways in?"
While asking that she takes a step back to see what she sees in regards to that.

Spot [roll0]

lonewolf1210
2015-07-15, 01:30 PM
Steel Wind looks at the door for a while, then draws his set of lockpicks.
"I could try these, but considering that this is a locksmiths door, Im not confident in my chances.
Brute force would work, but its probably neither silent nor particulary quick.

As for other entrances, ..." He looks around at that. "I didnt see anything, but we could go looking."

ThorgrimThunder
2015-07-15, 02:22 PM
"Darn"
Melodia thinks hard for a few minutes.
"Let's scout the perimeter quickly, I saw a window above us, if all else fails mayhap you could give me a boost. Although my original plan was to listen at the door, which he doesn't seem to care about, so perhaps I'll let you scout, whilst I listen for information"

ThorgrimThunder
2015-07-15, 06:24 PM
Double post, since I can't edit in rolls.
Listening at the door [roll0]

Kish
2015-07-15, 06:38 PM
"Huh. That was strange. So anyway, we were asking you about extra keys to the locks you've made," Irieonna presses, talking to distract from her crystal's actions as well as looking for answers.

meltodowno
2015-07-15, 08:34 PM
At the question of been a kidnapper, Terrence didn't answer, but let out a long exhale of breath to show his displeasure at the question. As Ireonna pressed her question, he also added

"Or if you know anythin' about the break-in? You fitted locks, you might know other way in?"

lonewolf1210
2015-07-16, 03:03 AM
Steel Wind circles the building, looking for possible entry points, including those higher up which he could reach with his grappling hook.

Smeggedoff
2015-07-17, 08:40 PM
@Melodia
You can hear most of the goings on in the shop

@Steel Wind
The only other method of entry you could potentially see may be the chimney

@Terrence & Irieonna
"Hmm" ponders Keygan "I don't tend to make extra sets of keys except by special order, and certainly never after the fact. Nope, never. Not even if I was being held hostage!" he says firmly

The psicrystal scuttles happily around the back room like some sort of demented spider, seeing nothing amiss.

...until what seemed to be a pile of rags reaches out an arm lightning quick and snatches it from the ground, holding it up to a large lidless eye and inspecting it from several angles.

ThorgrimThunder
2015-07-17, 09:46 PM
Waiting for Steel Wind to return near to her Meloodia whispers, "They are asking about the kidnappings, perhaps we should ask to join them? Unless you found a better way in?"
Melodia seems a little unsure, it's been years since she lead a band of roving youth, and her wizardly studies have kept her largely isolated from the world. Maybe she wasn't cut out for this sort of thing. Well she was the only one that she knew of, aside from possibly whoever is in there, so she would do what she could for now.

Kish
2015-07-17, 09:51 PM
"I see." Play dead and try to describe this creature. "Well, thank you for your help. We'll be on our way, then." Irieonna turns to the curtain, gambling that she understood the message the gnome meant to send correctly.

Unless the gnome immediately objects, she'll unsheathe her axe and stride into the room behind the curtain, manifesting Vigor as she goes.

lonewolf1210
2015-07-18, 03:13 AM
Steel Wind looks Melodia up and down. "You could fit through the chimney. But I cant protect you if we split up like that."

ThorgrimThunder
2015-07-18, 08:58 AM
"Hmmm"
Melodia is about to say they should wait until the others in the shop come out when something she heard clicks.
"Oh my.
"We need to get in there, now, I'd prefer not to be too obvious, but whatever it takes, I believe that gnome is being held hostage."
Hopefully Steel Wind can get them in there quickly. She can't believe she took so long to pick up on what the gnome had said. Maybe it's a good thing she was getting away from Simeon's sheltered influence for a while, she was obviously losing her touch.

lonewolf1210
2015-07-18, 09:29 AM
The warforged nods again and touches the blade of his glaive with his other hand, infusing it with Fire energy. Then he raises it in both hands firmly before starting to smashing it down violently on the door.

using the infusion personal weapon augmentation to temporarily put the flaming enchantment on my glaive. As discussed, he spends one point from his craft reserve to speed this up to a fullround action.
Then he activates punishing stance and starts bashing in the door. Damage is 1d10+1d6+5+1d6 fire.

I made a couple of rolls, ignore all unnecessary ones:
1d10+1d6+5 slashing + [roll0] fire
1d10+1d6+5 slashing + [roll1] fire
1d10+1d6+5 slashing + [roll2] fire
1d10+1d6+5 slashing + [roll3] fire
1d10+1d6+5 slashing + [roll4] fire

ThorgrimThunder
2015-07-18, 11:01 AM
Melodia draws her bow, and waits for the warforged to get her inside.

Smeggedoff
2015-07-20, 06:28 PM
The creature is described as being humanoid, hairless, having luminous eyes, and having a strange shifting skin colour

The door of the shop suddenly explodes inwards into flaming splinters

lonewolf1210
2015-07-20, 06:40 PM
Steel Wind steps into the doorframe, ready to repel any attackers. But there he hesitates, not entirely sure who here his enemies are. The gnome looked like a civilian, not really worth his attention. The dwarf looked well armed, but not focused on them right now. And finally there was this ... creature. The closest thing he knows to compare it to would be the clawfoot mounts of the talenta halflings, although there doesnt seem to be a saddle on it. Assuming that it is the most likely thing to attack him straight away, simply on instinct, he focuses his attention on it, ready to strike if it charges.

Kish
2015-07-20, 09:51 PM
Irieonna glances at the newcomers and comes to a stop briefly. There's something familiar about the way he's standing...but despite his strange way of making an entrance, he seems less likely to be an enemy than this thing. She continues on through the curtain.

meltodowno
2015-07-21, 01:06 AM
Terrence turned to look at the incursion and snapped his jaws at them in warning.

"Kid-nappers!" he let out a low guttural growl, and prepared to attack but then he caught Ireonna charging towards something else beyond the curtain.

His eyes squinted into threatening slits as he dared the interlopers to attack. He knew that if the dwarf thought what lay behind the curtain was more important, that he should probably follow, but he didn't want to leave the locksmith to these assassins.

"Lock-man, hide! We protect!"

He snapped his jaws again in warning towards the door, putting himself between them and the locksmith, and letting out a clear growl of intent.

"Bad mens go no further."

ThorgrimThunder
2015-07-21, 09:53 AM
Melodia tries to look past Steel Wind and address whoever called her a kidnapper.
"Excuse me, we are most certainly neither kidnappers nor assassins. Steel Wind, despite their look, I don't think they are the ones we need to worry about. They must be looking for the kidnappers as well. Do you see anyone else, or where anyone else may be?"

anything else of note that I see or hear?
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

lonewolf1210
2015-07-23, 06:13 AM
Steel Wind c0cks his head at Terrence.

EDIT: damn false positives on the profanity filter
It can speak? Most intriguing.

Without speaking a word he makes enough room in the doorframe to let Melodia pass through it next to him if she chooses to, while keeping his eyes locked on the mysterious creature in from of him.

Smeggedoff
2015-07-23, 09:58 PM
@Melodia
You see and hear nothing that's not in this room.

Keygan looks in horror at the smouldering splinters currently littered around his shop "muh... my door... MY CARPET! WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?" he shrieks

lonewolf1210
2015-07-27, 04:26 AM
Without moving anything but his mouth, Steel Wind answers in a totally monotone voice:
"I am Steel Wind. This is Melodia." In the back of his mind he somehow remembers that he is supposed to add something to that, and after a second or two figures it out: "Nice to meet you."

Smeggedoff
2015-07-28, 12:25 PM
@Irieonna
Spot check please

@Everyone else
Keygan just sort of gapes at the warforged

Kish
2015-08-01, 04:24 PM
Irieonna moves toward where her crystal indicates it is, her axe out and ready.
That's all I can really do, since I don't see any enemies yet. Unless I'm close enough to whatever is holding my crystal to move and attack it, in which case I will.

Smeggedoff
2015-08-01, 06:40 PM
The room isn't particularly big, so you could cross it in a move. (however the usual penalties for attacking something you can't see would apply)

meltodowno
2015-08-01, 09:32 PM
Terrence held his position to protect Keygan.

Held Action to intercept and attack any openly hostile (to Terrence or Keygan) creature that approaches.

Kish
2015-08-01, 09:39 PM
Following her crystal's mental directions, Irieonna attempts to find the mysterious color-changing creature and swings her axe aggressively.

Attack: [roll0] Critical threat roll: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] For total concealment, will auto-miss if this is a 1: [roll3]

lonewolf1210
2015-08-02, 04:16 AM
Unless Melodia tells him otherwise, Steel Wind also just holds his ground for now.

ThorgrimThunder
2015-08-03, 02:12 PM
Melodia, who had assumed there would be a clear and present danger, is puzzled by the lack of enemies, and also by the dwarf swinging it's ax at what appears to be a relatively non-threatening section of floor. She attempts to figure out what's going on, using the magic of her heritage to find if there are other things in the room.

"Steel Wind, I'm attempting to find out if there is something we can't see here. Be alert, but stay here until you see something, or unless something attacks us."

Use "Detect Evil" into the room to attempt to find whatever the heck the dwarf is swinging it's ax at.

Smeggedoff
2015-08-03, 04:33 PM
@Meloadia
Said dwarf is currently in a different room behind a curtain

@everyone but Irieonna
Sounds of an axe swinging and splintering wood however, can be heard in this room

You swing your axe at a likely looking pile of rags and hope for the best, you connect only with cloth, and shortly thereafter, a grandfather clock in your attempt to catch the creature. With a tearing sound a strange humanoid with shifting skin moves, looking shocked that you even got that close.
With it's readied rapier it lunges at you

[roll0]

And must be more shaken than you thought, that stab would have missed had you been standing still

Kish
2015-08-03, 04:54 PM
"Could use some help here, Nature!" Irieonna shouts, focusing her mind on the creature, before she strikes out, her axe moving to anticipate the creature's movements before it begins to move.
Using Sapphire Nightmare Blade. Concentration check with a DC of the enemy's armor class: [roll0] If that succeeded, the enemy counts as flat-footed for my attack. If it did not, my attack roll gets a -2 penalty.
Attack: [roll1] Critical threat roll: [roll2] Damage: [roll3], plus [roll4] extra if my Concentration check succeeded. Critical damage roll if applicable: [roll5]. If total concealment is still applicable, will auto-miss if this is a 1: [roll6]

Smeggedoff
2015-08-04, 10:00 AM
The creature stumbles in the face of your technique, freezing just long enough for your axe to spill his guts across the floor

((Combat rounds over))

Kish
2015-08-04, 10:08 AM
"Never mind!" Irieonna calls as she retrieves her crystal and heads back out through the curtain. "False alarm. It looked tougher than it was. Who are you?" she addresses the warforged and pixie. "Do we have any time to talk, or are there more enemies already inside?" she asks Keygan, lowering her voice a great deal.

Smeggedoff
2015-08-04, 11:05 AM
Keygan looks stunned "Uh, um. Just the one tall one but there are more down there, in Jzadirune" he swallows nervously "That's where they took my heart"

Kish
2015-08-04, 11:08 AM
"They took your--never mind. We'll deal with it. First, where's this tall one?" Irieonna flourishes her axe, regaining maneuvers.

Smeggedoff
2015-08-04, 11:54 AM
Keygan blinks
"It was guarding the back... you uh, you didn't encounter it?" he asks

Kish
2015-08-04, 11:59 AM
"If the chameleon thing was the tall one you mean, then yes, it's encountered. Also dead." She looks at the door-smashing newcomers.

meltodowno
2015-08-06, 02:57 AM
"See, see! We help. Now, are there any more, and what is a jaz-ra-doon?"

He nodded towards the newcomers.

".... and does you know these?"

lonewolf1210
2015-08-06, 03:36 AM
"False alarm. It looked tougher than it was. Who are you?" she addresses the warforged and pixie.

Steel Wind is a bit suprised by that question since he just answered it. But then he talks again, this time louder, extremely slowly and pronouncing every word as clearly as he can.
"I AM STEEL WIND. THIS IS MELODIA. NICE TO MEET YOU."

ThorgrimThunder
2015-08-06, 11:08 AM
Melodia slowly recovers from her surprise.
"As he said. We are looking for anything to do with the kidnappings at the lantern street orphanage. We found out that this gnome was responsible for producing the locks that were used, so we came down here to ask him some questions. I was listening at the door when I realized he was being held hostage and had my large companion break us in. Now what are the two of you doing here?"
Melodia pauses and attempts a glare at the other two.
"And what were you doing back there?"

meltodowno
2015-08-06, 12:08 PM
Terrences hackles raised at the accusatory tone the small one took.

"We are researching the kidnapping. We have been hired by the church. We have spoken to the remaining orphans. We have saved the locksmith from kidnappers. You broke a door, to enter into someone's building when he said he not want to talk to you, and rude to those who saved him. . You broke door very well, but me not think you are in a position to ask any questions, unless they are 'how much do me owe to replace door' "

He snarled and rejoined with ireonna, looking her over after the sound of combat and blood staining the axe

"Iri ok? Not need healing?"

Kish
2015-08-06, 08:20 PM
"I'm all right, thank you. You can heal?" Irieonna blinks at Terrence. "Well, that's...interesting." She looks at Keygan. "When you get done with the other questions, I'd like to know if there's a cauldron that you know of back there." She gestures to the curtain she emerged from.

meltodowno
2015-08-07, 01:23 AM
Terrence snorted.

"All Terrence's can heal." he said assuredly.

Certainly, for his sample size it was true.

Smeggedoff
2015-08-08, 09:50 PM
Keygan looks at Irieonna like she's daft.
"Why would I have a cauldron? I'm a locksmith."

ThorgrimThunder
2015-08-10, 10:20 AM
"Apologies... Terrence. I already offered to pay for the door. In my estimation the locksmith was in danger, and although we, well I, am not being paid to search for the orphans, I am searching for them. However, I do apologize for my rudeness towards you and, Iri? If you are searching for the kidnapped orphans, then we have the same goals."

Melodia puts her bow away in an effort to defuse the tensions.

Do I know where Jazdirune is?
Knowledge (local) (INT):[roll0]

Kish
2015-08-13, 10:49 AM
"Irieonna is my name. This is Terrence," Irieonna says. "Can you explain about them taking your heart, Keygan?"

Smeggedoff
2015-08-18, 01:21 PM
Keygan clears his throat nervously

"They, they took Starbrow to the undercity. She's hungry and frightened but I... I couldn't do anything."

He hangs his head in shame

Terribly sorry for delay chaps, have some xp

Skulk = 150xp each
Keygan = 225xp each

Kish
2015-08-18, 05:03 PM
"We'll get Starbrow back if anyone can, but first we need to know who and what Starbrow is," Irieonna says.

Smeggedoff
2015-08-19, 05:36 AM
Keygan nods and moves to the back room where he freezes momentarily at the sight of a skulk oozing juices onto his floor, before moving over to a large flat object covered in a dustcloth

"I put it away since having it where I could see it just made me upset you see"

He unwraps a large oil painting of himself.... and a large rat with a star marking on its forehead

Tearing up he begisn to sniffle
"s-she's light light of my life" he blubbers "excuse me"
he retreats back to the parlour where the clinking of bottles is heard.

Kish
2015-08-23, 05:34 PM
"I see," Irieonna says sympathetically. "If anyone can bring her back, we will. More information would be useful but first..." She turns to look at the two newcomers dubiously. "Do you have any evidence that you aren't actually agents of the kidnappers?"

lonewolf1210
2015-08-24, 03:27 AM
While the others were talking and it seemed obvious that combat had been avoided, Steel Wind leaned his glaive at the wall, picked the broken door up and without much success tried to fit it into the frame again for a couple of seconds before giving up and simply leans it in front of the opening.

To the dwarf he answers:
"You have been classified as a non-hostile force towards our mission. Our objectives align and combining our forces is prudent.
If we were aligned with your enemies, we would have applied deadly force to subdue you."

Smeggedoff
2015-08-24, 07:05 AM
Keygan taps his chin thoughtfully
"one moment" he says, trotting up the stairs.

Her returns a short while later and turns a faded sheet of leather over to Irieonna

"It's the best I've got. That's where they took her." he says "And everyone else" he adds solemnly

Stepping back to the stairwell he pushes the wall with a grunt, causing it to click back and slide to the side revealing stairs down into darkness

"down in Jzadirune that is"

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Smeggedoff/playermap_zpshsaxjs1s.jpg

ThorgrimThunder
2015-08-24, 10:01 PM
"Proof, proof... Well I don't exactly have documentation that says 'This is Melodia, she definitely isn't one of the kidnappers.' However, as Steel Wind mentioned we probably would have attempted to take you out while you were occupied in the other room if we had nefarious intent. If you would prefer we can go speak to Gretchyn at the orphanage, or my master Simeon, either of whom would be willing to vouch for me. If you have some sort of truth magic you wish to use, I will submit."
Melodia holds her hands out in front of her, palms up, willing to do what is necessary to move on and get on with saving the children.

meltodowno
2015-08-25, 03:00 AM
Terrence stepped forward towards the the small one, observing her outstretched palms. His leant forwards and sniffed them deeply, letting his senses fill in the blanks.

"This one speaks the truth." he rumbled "But does not speak with truth. Not killing not mean innocent. Been innocent means innocent."

Terrence backed away, turning to Irieonna, the aggressiveness in his stance relaxing completely as he eyed the leather parchment.

"What is meat ?"

Kish
2015-08-25, 11:03 AM
"It's a map. I presume we're currently at the top of these stairs," Irieonna points. "How are you at perception, Steel Wind? We don't have time for me to go talk to other people, so I'll have to accept Terrence's vouching for you. Probably you should lead and I should guard the rear, or the other way around."

lonewolf1210
2015-08-27, 03:36 AM
Steel Wind glances at the map before answering. "Close quarter combat favors small squads such as this one. Vanguard is a suitable assignment for my training, as is leadership in combat situations. But if I should be in command of this rescue operation, I will need a breakdown of the skills and ressources at your disposal so that I can utilize them most efficiently."

Kish
2015-08-27, 07:06 AM
"By lead I mean go first. Planning for someone to direct us in combat would be...premature."

meltodowno
2015-08-28, 07:05 AM
"If bad people attack, crunch em. Best plan."

Terrence nodded sagely.

ThorgrimThunder
2015-08-31, 10:28 PM
Melodia dusts her hands and shakes her head in slight puzzlement.
"Glad that's settled. As for combat, Steel Wind should probably lead. I would like to be solidly in the middle, well away from any stray sword or axe swings. I have good perception, even in relative dark though, so maybe slightly closer to the front, but really the more of you between me and the leading edge of violence, the better."

lonewolf1210
2015-09-01, 02:31 AM
Steel Winds face Looks emotionless as always when he answers the dwarf: "Then what Kind of command structure are you proposing? You surely dont want this Mission to be endangered by the utter chaos that comes naturally from the lack of proper organization."

meltodowno
2015-09-01, 09:22 AM
"You not even know what Terrence or Irri can do. Assume too much knowledge when holding too little. Not sign of good leader."

Terrence shook his head.

"Be judged in battle. Then maybe. For now we all strangers."

Terrence started moving towards the staircase down, the children were in danger, and standing here arguing positions was beyond ridiculous to his animal side.

Kish
2015-09-01, 10:03 AM
Irieonna nods sharply. "Terrence is right, and time wastes. If you're not going down the stairs then I guess I'm going first."

She'll wait for no more than five seconds to see if Steel Wind starts toward the stairs; if he doesn't, she'll head down them.

Smeggedoff
2015-09-03, 06:39 AM
((I'm going to take that as an awkward pause before Irionna starts moving))

As Irieonna moves to the secret door she sees a stone staircase, its steps shrouded with cobwebs and dust, descends twenty feet to a ten-foot-square landing, then bends to the right and plunges into darkness.

Kish
2015-09-03, 09:07 AM
Irieonna heads down the stairs.

Irieonna has 90' darkvision, so she'll look through the darkness as soon as the angle will let her do so. Incidentally, she's not carrying a light source.

lonewolf1210
2015-09-03, 09:26 AM
Steel Wind does in fact hesitate for a moment, and while Irieonna moves ahead he answers to Terrence: "Yes. I lack information about your abilities. Thats why I was inquiring about them..."

But he doesnt push this any further and instead takes second position behind the dwarf. As they descend into darkness, he takes out a sunrod, lights it and keeps it ready in his left hand for now.

Smeggedoff
2015-09-03, 03:14 PM
The staircase descends another twenty feet before opening into a room. From this landing, you can hear strange sounds emanating from the chamber below, specifically chirping birds, rustling leaves, and cheery giggles. The landing itself is bare save for an empty iron torch sconce mounted on the south wall.

Tied up on the landing is a wriggling bundle approximately the size and shape of a person

Kish
2015-09-04, 07:07 AM
"This is very odd," Irieonna says in a low voice. "Any of you have any skill at finding traps?" She directs her question primarily toward Melodia.

lonewolf1210
2015-09-05, 02:29 PM
Steel Wind steps ahead. "My training does include the detection and deactivation of mechanical and magical traps. Stand back."
With his sunrod providing light, he takes a closer look at the situation.

Search: [roll0]
If applicable: Disable device [roll1]

Smeggedoff
2015-09-07, 06:50 PM
You find no traps

however while you're on the landing you notice
The staircase descends another twenty feet before opening into a room. From this landing, you can hear strange sounds emanating from the chamber below, specifically chirping birds, rustling leaves, and cheery giggles. The landing itself is bare save for an empty iron torch sconce mounted on the south wall.

lonewolf1210
2015-09-08, 02:28 AM
"No dangerous enviroments detected. Proceeding carefully."

This time he doesnt discuss the Situation any further but simply leads into the room himself looking for the source of those wierd noises.

Kish
2015-09-08, 10:59 AM
Irieonna approaches the wriggling bundle carefully.