PDA

View Full Version : Pantheon-based calendar

Scarey Nerd
2015-04-01, 01:17 PM
Hi all - For my D&D world I've been working on, I've decided that the months of the human realms will be named after, and partially represent, the human gods. However, my struggle is what order to put them in. I figured the god of the sun, Benael, should probably have his month contain midsummer, and the goddess of the moon, Lulenwe, should have her month contain midwinter, but past that I'm at a bit of a loss. The order I have so far is in the spoiler below, but I'd appreciate some feedback if you think they should be moved around to work better.

Arwellas - LG goddess of courage, honour, war etc; basically a female Heironeous.
Benael - NG god of the sun and healing, generally considered the ruler of the gods.
Galebrye - NG goddess of love, family and fertility.
Idwah - N God of nature, balance and forests.
Kasya - LN goddess of justice, law and order.
Kiros - NE god of necromancy, secrets and destruction.
Lulenwe - NG goddess of the moon, history and culture.
Mirondor - LE god of tyranny, evil and pain.
Pyrael - CN god of strength, courage and vengeance.
Seranus - N god of magic and craft.
Seraeli - CN goddess of the ocean, storms and travel.
Sirak - CN goddess of rogues, trickery and chaos.
Zephiel - Unaligned goddess of death, time and forgiveness.

A year has 364 days (so that the lunar cycle resets at the beginning of each year). Each month has 30 days, except for Sirak which lasts only 4 days and is a festival of debauchery and fun - At the end of the festival the high priests of Sirak determine what months it will fall between next year through games of chance/dice-rolling etc.

Spring: Kasya
Galebrye
Seraeli

Summer: Arwellas
Benael
Pyrael

Autumn: Seranus
Idwah
Zephiel

Winter: Kiros
Lulenwe
Mirondor

With Sirak separate as described.

Sorry I rambled on, and thanks :)

00dlez
2015-04-01, 02:37 PM
Looks fine to me

If I were to do anything I would swap Idwah and Galebrye. To me, the fall would be a good time for bountiful harvests, family feasting, and enjoying the fruits of your summer toils. You might even catch some families giving thanks during that time of year. Where as spring is a time we can experience natures resurgence - from everything dead and dormant in winter to an explosion of life and bounty in the spring.

Just me though... either way works.

Scarey Nerd
2015-04-02, 08:15 AM
If I were to do anything I would swap Idwah and Galebrye.

Originally I had it that way round, but then I reasoned that since Galebrye is a fertility goddess, Spring would make the most sense for her - I appreciate the feedback though! :)