PDA

View Full Version : Kirk vs. Hunt

Wardog
2015-04-01, 02:35 PM
Scenario:

A Macguffin is in he hands of aliens.

Retrieving this Macguffin will require badly-choreographed brawling and/or the seduction of various space babes.

Both the Federation (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/StarTrek)and the Commonwealth (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Andromeda)need this Macguffin (and cannot share it, because reasons), and dispatch Captain James T Kirk and Captain Dylan Hunt, respectively, to retrieve it.

Who succeeds?

Variant scenarios:
a) Each captain is alone
b) They can bring their ship and crew
c) Or any other characters from their franchise.

HandofShadows
2015-04-01, 03:08 PM
Kirk hands down in all scenarios. It gets worse if the ships are brought in. It's overkill if Kirk brings in Harry Mudd to distract Hunt. :smallbiggrin:

comicshorse
2015-04-01, 04:56 PM
Obviously both team up defeat the space villain and retrieve the Macguffin then Kirk seduces Beka Valentine and Hunt seduces Uhura

Aotrs Commander
2015-04-01, 05:30 PM
Hunt starts off really well, but degenerates into utterly nonsensical behavior and wanders off to meet himself in a wormhole 80% of the way through the operation, whereas Kirk gets better over time and saves the day in the end.

Pex
2015-04-01, 11:10 PM
Obviously both team up defeat the space villain and retrieve the Macguffin then Kirk seduces Beka Valentine and Hunt seduces Uhura

Uhura would not fall for it.

McStabbington
2015-04-02, 12:16 AM
Hunt starts off really well, but degenerates into utterly nonsensical behavior and wanders off to meet himself in a wormhole 80% of the way through the operation, whereas Kirk gets better over time and saves the day in the end.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Kirk can be beaten, but you really have to bring your A-game to do it. If it were Kirk vs. Thrawn, I might give Thrawn even money odds. Dylan Hunt isn't going to win unless they team up to fight crime. He's just not in Kirk's league.

Kitten Champion
2015-04-02, 12:36 AM
Captain James T. Kirk was allowed to be a human being - a heroic character certainly, but definitely not without his share of flaws. Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country are particularly interesting for how they explore the theme of the aging and conflicted champion.

Whereas Captain Dylan Hunt - who was already something of a Mary Sue to begin with - is basically Space Hercules/Jesus upon the show's conclusion.

So, I give it to Hunt.

Though, if we want to include the more technical differences between the Star Trek and Andromeda's universes, Kirk would win by virtue of transporters and more accessible FTL.

Hopeless
2015-04-02, 03:58 AM
Scenario:

A Macguffin is in he hands of aliens.

Retrieving this Macguffin will require badly-choreographed brawling and/or the seduction of various space babes.

Both the Federation (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/StarTrek)and the Commonwealth (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Andromeda)need this Macguffin (and cannot share it, because reasons), and dispatch Captain James T Kirk and Captain Dylan Hunt, respectively, to retrieve it.

Who succeeds?

Variant scenarios:
a) Each captain is alone

Hunt would kick Kirk's backside unless we're talking Shatner then its a even odds Kirk will drink Hunt under the table... seriously do you think this wouldn't involve a bar and possibly a bar room brawl?!:smallwink:

b) They can bring their ship and crew
Seriously and Hunt gets to bring Tyr, Beka and Trance?
I can see Spock and Hunt getting along fine, I don't see him trying to seduce Uhura unless we're talking original Star Trek mostly because Spock after all!

c) Or any other characters from their franchise.

The Nietzcheans?
Now that's hilarious enough to be worthy of a fan fic!:smallbiggrin:

Possibly the only occasion where we see Hunt and Kirk discussing the various races as they compare the Nietzcheans to the Klingons and arrange this entire event just to introduce those species to each other!:smalltongue:

Wardog
2015-04-02, 02:38 PM
Hunt would kick Kirk's backside unless we're talking Shatner then its a even odds Kirk will drink Hunt under the table... seriously do you think this wouldn't involve a bar and possibly a bar room brawl?!:smallwink:

Yes, I meant Shatner Kirk, not Reboot Kirk.

Seriously and Hunt gets to bring Tyr, Beka and Trance?

The Nietzcheans?
Now that's hilarious enough to be worthy of a fan fic!:smallbiggrin:

Possibly the only occasion where we see Hunt and Kirk discussing the various races as they compare the Nietzcheans to the Klingons and arrange this entire event just to introduce those species to each other!:smalltongue:

A Worf/Tyr face-off was exactly why I added that option ;)

(And so Rommie and Voyager's Doctor could have a snark-off).

HandofShadows
2015-04-02, 02:48 PM
Kirk can be beaten, but you really have to bring your A-game to do it. If it were Kirk vs. Thrawn, I might give Thrawn even money odds. Dylan Hunt isn't going to win unless they team up to fight crime. He's just not in Kirk's league.

As seen several times Kirk in the series and movies, Kirk isn't afraid to think outside the box, cheat or start playing a whole other game ( Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker! ). And Kirk has the thing Napoleon wanted in an officer. Kirk is Lucky. :smallbiggrin:

Wardog
2015-04-06, 10:58 AM
I suppose it really comes done to whether the situation is better served by diving through the air sidewise while shooting, or

Now, if it does comes to a battle between their ships, I can imagine something like this happening:

Kirk: Lock phasers, Mr Chekov!
Chekov: Keptin, the enemy wessel is surrounded by a strange energy field. Our targeting systems cannot penetrate it.
Kirk: Spock! Report!
Spock: Fascinating. The Andromeda appears to be generating lens flare, even though that should not be possible.
Kirk: Two. Can play. At that game. Uhura! Get me. JJ Abrams.
McCoy: My God, Jim! You monster!

Psyren
2015-04-06, 10:07 PM
Commander Shepard recovers it, bangs all the aliens of both genders, then uppercuts the reporter who comes to congratulate him.

Hopeless
2015-04-09, 03:09 AM
Commander Shepard recovers it, bangs all the aliens of both genders, then uppercuts the reporter who comes to congratulate him.

For convenience sake it should be the female Shepherd then all avenues can be thoroughly explored!:smallredface:

Talya
2015-04-09, 09:42 AM
For convenience sake it should be the female Shepherd then all avenues can be thoroughly explored!:smallredface:

There's no other commander Shepard. Femshep is it! Down with the male pretenders.

Aotrs Commander
2015-04-09, 12:03 PM
There's no other commander Shepard. Femshep is it! Down with the male pretenders.

There are male pretenders...?

Actually, Shepard would probably bang both Hunt and Kirk for good measure, and leave both of them wondering what the hell just happened...

Lentrax
2015-04-12, 04:14 PM

Actually, Shepard would probably bang both Hunt and Kirk for good measure, and leave both of them wondering what the hell just happened...

Spock: "Fascinating. Tell me something, Captain. What exactly did she mean when she said, 'That was for Thane.'"

McStabbington
2015-04-12, 08:12 PM

Nonsense. There is no save v. Shirtless Kirk. Ladies see that, and they will switch their allegiances just to hit it like they were wielding Thor's mighty hammer. It's even in the game:

http://m.tradecardsonline.com/img/cards/star-trek-the-card-game/1949/big/9.jpg