PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Animated Weapons as Monsters/Traps

Thurbane
2015-04-01, 02:54 PM
hey all,

Is there any source in 3.X of animated weapons as monsters?

I'm not talking the magic item weapon enhancement, but an animated object that is a weapon that flies around attacking the party.

My understanding is that a normal animated object is incapable of flight?

Are there any spells, traps or monsters that emulate what I am looking for?

Cheers - T

LoyalPaladin
2015-04-01, 02:57 PM
I was going to post about the dancing enchantment, but...

I'm not talking the magic item weapon enhancement, but an animated object that is a weapon that flies around attacking the party.
Does the item familiar feat work for this? I seem to remember there being flying swords in the 5.0 MM. But I'm away from my books right now...

Troacctid
2015-04-01, 03:56 PM
There are spells that do this. Spiritual Weapon is an example.

You could also just say that the animated sword is floating a few feet off the ground, but use the normal stats for an animated sword. You're the DM; it's allowed.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-04-01, 04:04 PM
You could also just say that the animated sword is floating a few feet off the ground, but use the normal stats for an animated sword. You're the DM; it's allowed.

I've played at least one module that was originally on the WotC website that does this. It's called Something's Cooking (http://linuxdigital.net/upload/misc_pic/DnD-3.5/Dungeon%20Master%20Tools/Adventures/Level%2002/Something%27s%20Cooking.pdf).

Thurbane
2015-04-03, 06:40 AM
So, I'm going to just treat them as animated objects with a fly speed of 60 feet (as per the Fly spell, perfect maneuverability), and doing damage as per the base weapon.

So, would a one handed weapon be a Tiny animated object, and a two-handed weapon be a Small animated object?

Darrin
2015-04-03, 08:58 AM
The 3.5 updated to Tomb of Horrors has "Crossed Swords and Shield Construct" (CR4) in room 27.

I'm not entirely sure where you'd find that online now... the wayback archive link I used to use doesn't work anymore.

Bronk
2015-04-03, 09:38 AM
So, I'm going to just treat them as animated objects with a fly speed of 60 feet (as per the Fly spell, perfect maneuverability), and doing damage as per the base weapon.

So, would a one handed weapon be a Tiny animated object, and a two-handed weapon be a Small animated object?

I think you could do this with the rules 'as is' if you just put wings on the swords and give them a 'magic fang' spell to replicate an enhancement bonus, since they technically they attack with slams. Unfortunately, they only attack with slams... you'd have to DM fiat them actually using the blade like a sword.

Once defeated, they'd just have the base sword, possibly slightly battered, and players could take the wings off and use it.

You could also have some kind of weapon themed golem shaped like a marilith, that stays still while it controls 6 weapons with the 'obedient' property from Dragon 302, which acts a lot like 'dancing' but lets the weapon fly quite a distance...

Thurbane
2015-04-03, 02:03 PM
The 3.5 updated to Tomb of Horrors has "Crossed Swords and Shield Construct" (CR4) in room 27.

I'm not entirely sure where you'd find that online now... the wayback archive link I used to use doesn't work anymore.

That's great - I have a download of the adventure. Many thanks.